Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

kidsafe posted:

If it were me, I'd buy Balvenie 12yr Double Wood insread of Glenfarclas 12yr. They aren't similar, but I'd rather my first impression of Glenfarclas be the 17 or older. Balvenie represents the super sweet, lemon drop candy side scotch and would be a good contrast to the balance of HP and the light characteristic of Bowmore (peat aside.)

Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban is another sweet double wood-ed Scotch. It's finished in a Port Wine cask, so it tends to have a nice flavor profile if you like port wine. I' throwing it out there mainly because my Dad, Grandpa, and brother all liked it despite "not being Scotch drinkers." It's also not very expensive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KhyrosFinalCut
Dec 16, 2004

Get it?

kidsafe posted:

Hmm, maybe some of the Flora & Fauna releases from Diageo? These never made it to the US AFAIK. Mortlach pretty much never gets sold in the US as a distillery release. Auchroisk does, but only as the 20yr. Too bad you can only bring back 1L of alcohol DF!

I still haven't had a chance to crack the Mortlach 16 my roomie brought back for me, but it looks like this was a good recommendation.

Whiskey Advocate posted:

There is good news for lovers of Mortlach the distinctive, near-triple distilled Speyside single malt, renowned for its meaty full flavor, with the announcement by Diageo of four new expressions. And, I fear, bad.Ian Buxton
Due to be available mid-2014 in global markets, the range comprises Rare Old (43.4%, no age statement); Special Strength (49%, no age statement, non-chill filtered, Travel Retail exclusive); 18 Years Old and 25 Years Old (both 43.4%). Packaging details and prices have yet to be finalized, but I understand that the ‘new’ Mortlach will be positioned as a luxury brand, with the entry level Rare Old priced alongside Johnnie Walker Platinum, and other expressions higher still.
So the good news is tempered with a wealth warning, and the further disappointing
news that stocks of the current 16 Years Old Flora & Fauna expression will not be replaced; it has effectively been withdrawn. If this is a favorite, better lay in a bottle or two!

http://whiskyadvocate.com/whisky/2013/12/02/good-news-and-bad-for-mortlach-lovers/

KhyrosFinalCut fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 2, 2013

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
http://www.rsc.org/chemistryworld/Issues/2008/December/AWhiskyTour.asp

If you are like me and curious as to why water has an effect on the way whiskey tastes and why it makes some whiskies taste better but other's worse, read this article. The chemistry behind it isn't too complex and it's pretty interesting to boot.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Tried some Laphroaig Quarter Cask today after seeing so many people rave about it here.
The first time I had peated whiskey, (Laphroaig 10 year) I thought the bartender was loving with me.

After a dram of Quarter Cask I now understand peated whiskey. I almost want to say it is more approachable than the 10.

Thanks again to everyone sharing in this thread.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
Got a fifth of Wild Turkey Rare Breed barrel proof, and I'm lovin this stuff. I've been drinking my bourbons neat, but a little ice helps the high proof go down much easier. I think I've found my go-to drink.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Marshall Louis posted:

I almost want to say it is more approachable than the 10.
Subjective of course, but I personally agree. For me the initial barrier to entry was the overly earthy, damp taste of Islay peat. Quarter Cask helps to mask the the peat in a young whisky by amping up the woody notes. That makes Quarter Cask more drinkable to me. It's a brighter whisky than the 10yr because it's ~8 years old, but not quite boozy.

Some people who don't normally drink spirits may prefer the 10yr because it is that tiny bit mellower even if the taste is slightly grungier.

--

And since Johnnie Walker Platinum Label was briefly mentioned in a quote, I've gotta say they've nailed the presentation. The recent bottle redesign for Blue Label with the blue tinted glass and the defined edges of the Platinum Label bottle are very distinctive. Plus I've always loved the simple, thin, angled label.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
Not sure if this applies to all Costcos but it looks like they're selling scotch at great prices again; I picked up a couple bottles of Lagavulin 16 at $55 and also saw Oban & Glenlivet 18 also for ~$50. Talisker Storm was going for $65 iirc and they also had the Kirkland Speyside 18 for $50.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Furious Lobster posted:

Not sure if this applies to all Costcos but it looks like they're selling scotch at great prices again; I picked up a couple bottles of Lagavulin 16 at $55 and also saw Oban & Glenlivet 18 also for ~$50. Talisker Storm was going for $65 iirc and they also had the Kirkland Speyside 18 for $50.

It certainly doesn't apply to the Costcos in PA :smith:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Furious Lobster posted:

:toot: That's like $30 cheaper than I usually see Lagavulin, and I love Lagavulin. Where are you at?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Mr. Glass posted:

It certainly doesn't apply to the Costcos in PA :smith:

Nor the ones in MD. Basically, drat you.

Edit: the one in DC does. I know where I'm going next month.

rxcowboy fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 4, 2013

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stultus Maximus posted:

:toot: That's like $30 cheaper than I usually see Lagavulin, and I love Lagavulin. Where are you at?

Pasadena, CA. It's not an usual occurrence because I always check when I swing by Costco every month or so.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

Furious Lobster posted:

Pasadena, CA. It's not an usual occurrence because I always check when I swing by Costco every month or so.

They seem to drop the prices every year around the Holidays at California Costcos. I normally stock up on the Lagavulin.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Anyone have any take on Crown Royal Black? Better than the basic or disgusting gimmick? It's going on sale soon in my area and I was wondering if I should bother trying it. It's only been around since 2010 so I've had a hard time finding feedback on it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

F&F Mortlach is a classic for me. I've got 1 bottle open, but I'm up in Scotland for New Year and I'll try to get a few more. The F&F Benrinnes and Dailuane are also lovely sherried Speysiders that you should try if you get the opportunity.

Gregorio
Aug 9, 2010

biglads posted:

F&F Mortlach is a classic for me. I've got 1 bottle open, but I'm up in Scotland for New Year and I'll try to get a few more. The F&F Benrinnes and Dailuane are also lovely sherried Speysiders that you should try if you get the opportunity.

Yeah I grabbed the F&F Dailuane, best of the few I got to try. I regretted not getting the limited Spirit of Speyside festival Mortlach but I'd already bought a ~100 pound bottle earlier in the day..

Still the Dailuane was cheap so it was very good value.

Zatheria
Apr 30, 2013
The Orange County CostCos now have a 700 dollar 40 year Glenlivet. It's way out of my price range but I'm curious if anyone has any idea what it could possibly be like.

On the other hand, they once again have the mystery 20 year Kirkland Speyside that I find quite good.

Admin Understudy
Apr 17, 2002

Captain Pope-tastic
Well I bought into the hype of Pappy and over paid for a bottle of 15 year old to try.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Admin Understudy posted:

Well I bought into the hype of Pappy and over paid for a bottle of 15 year old to try.

I'd be curious in hearing how it stacks up against the much cheaper and much more widely available WL Weller 12 year since they're supposedly made from the same distillation.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Hebug posted:

I'd be curious in hearing how it stacks up against the much cheaper and much more widely available WL Weller 12 year since they're supposedly made from the same distillation.

I had a buddy grab me a bottle of this from Illinois for Christmas. It's pretty dang good.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
What other scotches would you recommended for someone who loves Glenmorangie?

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Zatheria posted:

The Orange County CostCos now have a 700 dollar 40 year Glenlivet. It's way out of my price range but I'm curious if anyone has any idea what it could possibly be like.

On the other hand, they once again have the mystery 20 year Kirkland Speyside that I find quite good.
Hmm, I wonder if this is an Alexander Murray bottling or a direct collaboration with Glenlivet. I wasn't aware Alexander Murray had anything that old... Meanwhile people on Slickdeals are crying about it being bottled at 40% ABV. It's 40 years old, I don't think 40% is unreasonable. Besides, it probably needs some of that woodiness diluted.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 6, 2013

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Devoz posted:

What other scotches would you recommended for someone who loves Glenmorangie?
Glenfarclas, Balvenie, Hazelburn (maybe Springbank), Oban, Cragganmore, Glenrothes, etc. Glenmorangie is smack dab in the middle of the single malt spectrum, and that's where the concentration of distilleries are.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!

Kenny Logins posted:

Anyone have any take on Crown Royal Black? Better than the basic or disgusting gimmick? It's going on sale soon in my area and I was wondering if I should bother trying it. It's only been around since 2010 so I've had a hard time finding feedback on it.

I liked it. My dad had a bottle of it when I went to visit on thanksgiving, and I had a few drinks of it. It's got a lot of big flavors going on, but not really big whiskey flavors. It was an interesting drink to say the least. A little sweet.. kinda reminded me of drinking a nice dark rum.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I picked up a bottle of highland park 12 and Balvinie Doublewood since they were only 40 bucks a piece. I would have gotten Bowmore 12 too but there was a sale on Don Julio Anejo tequila so I had to grab that instead. Can't wait to try these out when I get home!

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

rxcowboy posted:

I picked up a bottle of highland park 12 and Balvinie Doublewood since they were only 40 bucks a piece. I would have gotten Bowmore 12 too but there was a sale on Don Julio Anejo tequila so I had to grab that instead. Can't wait to try these out when I get home!

If this is in the DFW area then please clue me in to what store. At that price I would seriously consider buying a case of the Doublewood.
Well, at least a couple bottles.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

GEEKABALL posted:

If this is in the DFW area then please clue me in to what store. At that price I would seriously consider buying a case of the Doublewood.
Well, at least a couple bottles.

Sadly I live in Maryland and it was actually 46 for the doublewood. I'm good at math.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Well I tasted both the Balvinie Doublewood and the Highland Park 12. I fully admit that I am a neophyte when it comes to drinking scotch, but my initial thoughts on the Balvinie 12 are that it's...ok. Its very smooth, very easy to drink but to me it's sweetness is the appeal, but if I want sweetness plus wood and not much else I have six bottles of bourbon right now that blow it out of the water. The mouthfeel is very thin, and the finish is over before I swallow. It's ok, I will have no problem downing the bottle but unless something jumps out at me upon further drinking I won't buy it again.

Now the HP12....holy poo poo. Holy loving poo poo. That nose! It's grassy, bright lemons, a touch of smoke, the smooth malt smell. I spent half the time I had it the glass just smelling it. Then I tasted it, and the nose actually translated to my mouth! It coated my mouth, just a touch of sweetness. Not a thick, syrup body but enough to coat the palate. A touch of wet earth, the kind of smell you get when you're tilling a field to plant in the spring. I grew up in farm country, I love the pungent smell of soil. I assume this is the peat. For the finish, a smooth comforting burn, not a ratgut burn but a little heat in the chest that just felt so nice. A little more smoke and peat on the exit, finish lingers in my mouth with a little sweet taste as I run my tongue along my gums. I love this. I've never had a drink elicit a goddamn memory before but here we are. I don't want to drink this to get drunk, but I can't wait to finish this glass so I can pour another one.

I'm going to drink the HP for a month, make sure it grows on me but then I'm going to Islay for my next choice. I need more dirt and smoke. Alot more. I want the whole goddamn bog in my mouth.

Back to Speyside though, what's a good Spey with more character? I like sweet, I like sweet alot but I need something a little more dynamic, with more presence.

In American Whiskey news, I got a bottle of knob Creek on a good sale. It's a really nice, "big" bourbon, and the 100 proof lets it hold up well in a cocktail. Makes a good Manhattan and a drat fine Old Fashioned.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Your initial assessment of Balvenie 12yr Double Wood matched mine. It's got a bright, thin taste, the sweetness is almost cloying. But underneath that there is a very complex, quality whisky...so I was a little turned off at first, but later realized how good the intrinsic quality of the spirit was. I went on an Islay binge for a while, but now I'm back to whiskies like Balvenie, Aberlour, AnCnoc, etc.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Got a nice shot of Bulleit out at a bar with friends last night, pretty solid bourbon for $3.50 bar prices.

I think happy hour at that bar may be at a different time than I thought it was because that's really cheap.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

kidsafe posted:

Your initial assessment of Balvenie 12yr Double Wood matched mine. It's got a bright, thin taste, the sweetness is almost cloying. But underneath that there is a very complex, quality whisky...so I was a little turned off at first, but later realized how good the intrinsic quality of the spirit was. I went on an Islay binge for a while, but now I'm back to whiskies like Balvenie, Aberlour, AnCnoc, etc.

Where underneath, exactly? I'm having another glass and I'm just not getting it. Maybe I just have a lovely palate but compared to HP it's so boring. Do you add water? I'll try it with no water next.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

rxcowboy posted:

Where underneath, exactly? I'm having another glass and I'm just not getting it. Maybe I just have a lovely palate but compared to HP it's so boring. Do you add water? I'll try it with no water next.

Adding water to Balvenie seems to detract more than aid in its flavour. It's a very delicate whisky. I generally never add water to Speysides unless they're cask proof.

Remember that Balvenie is one of the most popular single malts for a reason. I think it has character, but it is a crowd pleaser. Islays are not, necessarily.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?
Picked up a bottle of this on a whim, it's not bad.

Not as smooth as Blanton's original private reserve, and not as sweet, but has a softer nose. A bit more peppery? I haven't really developed a sophisticated palate for this poo poo, so something like that.

EDIT: It feels like water would just dilute it, not open it up. Anyone tried it with this? I've been drinking it neat.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I received a beautiful glass "spirit decanter" for my birthday. What do I need to know about decanting whiskey? Does it do anything besides look pretty cool? Does it shorten its shelf life?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I received a beautiful glass "spirit decanter" for my birthday. What do I need to know about decanting whiskey? Does it do anything besides look pretty cool? Does it shorten its shelf life?

If it's lead crystal, which most I've seen are, it will poison your whiskey to twice EPA lead levels in two days.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

From what I gather just looks cool and conceals the fact that you bought pretty cheap whiskey. It can shorten shelf life if it causes you to expose the whiskey to light/heat it otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to. I'd suggest using it for your highest turnover stuff if you drink often, or otherwise saving it for social occasions where others will join you in drinking it.

^^^^ there's also that issue. Make sure it's actual glass or don't bother. I wouldn't know how to test it though.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Stultus Maximus posted:

If it's lead crystal, which most I've seen are, it will poison your whiskey to twice EPA lead levels in two days.

It says "Lead-Free" on a little sticker on it, so it looks like we're poison-free.

Kenny Logins posted:

From what I gather just looks cool and conceals the fact that you bought pretty cheap whiskey. It can shorten shelf life if it causes you to expose the whiskey to light/heat it otherwise wouldn't have been exposed to. I'd suggest using it for your highest turnover stuff if you drink often, or otherwise saving it for social occasions where others will join you in drinking it.

^^^^ there's also that issue. Make sure it's actual glass or don't bother. I wouldn't know how to test it though.

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks! I also had no idea that whiskey was light-sensitive.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks! I also had no idea that whiskey was light-sensitive.
It is, somewhat. I mention it because it seems more likely that a decanter would be left out where a sunbeam could hit and roast it at a certain time of day, for days on end, with a decanter's glass possibly having a magnifying glass effect.

Whiskey is actually pretty hardy, handles low temperatures exceptionally well (think of where it originates) and it usually comes in clear glass so it can't be that delicate. It's just that decanters are not great long-term containers for it, and it's not like wine where decanting objectively adds anything to the taste experience.

edit: Also, make sure the topper fits properly to make a seal, because if not you could get some evaporation.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 10, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

I was thinking of grabbing a used decanter cause I'm a cheap pretentious git. How can I tell if it's Lead?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

The only way that comes to mind that is remotely practicable would be to also have a glass (whiskey) bottle of approximately the same size/build and hit it with a spoon. Lead crystal rings, glass clunks. If it sounds like your control bottle it's probably glass. I've also heard that shining light through lead crystal makes a prismatic effect where glass doesn't, again requiring a control bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckboat
May 15, 2012
Huh, I thought that leaded glass didn't leach lead.

Bummer, I've seen some nice leaded glass stuff out there.