Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Haunted Pug
Aug 10, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

The rock-paper-scissors thing was the two demons, right?
I'd say they're talking about the moment when you fight the witch and you need to keep changing shapes.

I like Simon the Sorcerer 2, but then again I played it when it was first released and I liked really juvenile humour back then. I was a stupid pre-teen just like Simon claims to be and in a sense it was edgy and fun to have a dumbass character thinking he's way smarter than he is, I don't know. Some parts were really bad for me even then (Um Bongo, for example), other stuff has only felt like that when I replayed it years after. I suppose I didn't even realize at the time, I can understand why some people would hate it... in my case, I played it at a friend's house: we would only play on the weekends and this was before we had any kind of internet connection, so the rest of the week we'd discuss how we could solve this or that, think of possible strategies and try to imagine what was next. It's dumb but I can't hate that game precisely because of that. It took us quite a while to beat the game too!

My biggest issue with Simon 1 is the reaaaally slow walking speed - even with the map, it's still a pain in the rear end sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
What separates Simon the Sorcerer from other immature adventure game protagonists is that there are very few jokes at his expense—I really got the impression that the designers wanted you to always be laughing with Simon as he goes around bullying random NPCs and being perpetually annoyed at the idiocy that surrounds him (he even mugs at the camera a lot starting in Simon 2). From a gameplay perspective Simon 2 really isn't any worse than the first, but the tone of the whole thing is just nasty. The scene with the roleplaying group (who, being in a fantasy world, are pretending to be office workers and such) was the only really funny bit.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Wait, Broken Sword 5 is nearly out already? Given that the kickstarter was more recent than Double Fine Adventure and this is still releasing before it, I'm worried that has been rushed out the door. Especially if you're saying the demo seems decent. Game is gonna be 2 hours long.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Wait, Broken Sword 5 is nearly out already? Given that the kickstarter was more recent than Double Fine Adventure and this is still releasing before it, I'm worried that has been rushed out the door. Especially if you're saying the demo seems decent. Game is gonna be 2 hours long.

They're releasing it in halves like Broken Age.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megazver posted:

They're releasing it in halves like Broken Age.

Also Broken Age has been suffering from some severe scope and feature creep, making it a very different game than originally intended. Broken Sword has stuck to their design spec.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I just watched the trailer and I'm not entirely sold on it. The scenes look gorgeous and interesting as ever but those character models? Were they outsourced to Péndulo? :ohdear:

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

macnbc posted:

Also Broken Age has been suffering from some severe scope and feature creep, making it a very different game than originally intended. Broken Sword has stuck to their design spec.

Turns out the 2 companies decided to merge their games and now it is Broken Sword Age

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Broken Sword 5 (beta) is looking great. Much better than 3 or 4.

The Barista character is simply hilarious.

Issaries fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 3, 2013

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

For anyone interested, there is a 2D isometric scifi/horror adventure game on kickstarter called Stasis that is ending in 4 days. Sorry that I don't have much more background info than that, but the artwork is looking great and I am a sucker for horror-themed adv. games.

Speaking of, I've yet to find a horror adv. game I've really liked. I recently tried Sanitarium, I Have no Mouth, and Gabriel Knight 1, none of which I really got into (GK was good, but the scary bits were just so-so). I did enjoy the Trilby games when I first played them years ago, and I think the only horror games I've really liked in recent memory were Lone Survivor and most of System Shock 2 (I haven't played the Amnesia games yet). I realize it's really hard to convey a sense of a threat in adv. games, but is there a game that maintains a good balance of tension from beginning to end?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Octorok posted:

Speaking of, I've yet to find a horror adv. game I've really liked. I recently tried Sanitarium, I Have no Mouth, and Gabriel Knight 1, none of which I really got into (GK was good, but the scary bits were just so-so).

I thought The Dark Eye was effectively creepy. It's a re-telling of multiple Edgar Allan Poe tales. Especially Egaeus' side of Berenice's tale is pretty freaky.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Octorok posted:

I recently tried Sanitarium, I Have no Mouth, and Gabriel Knight 1, none of which I really got into (GK was good, but the scary bits were just so-so).

I don't think any of these are really horror games. GK is straight up urban fantasy, the other two deal with some horror themes but they don't really try to, y'know, horrify you. Have you played Scratches?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

those character models? Were they outsourced to Péndulo? :ohdear:

Did you watch the original trailer or the new one? Because the earliest 3D art was pretty awful but playing the "Beta" I didn't once have a negative reaction to the models.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

ookiimarukochan posted:

Did you watch the original trailer or the new one? Because the earliest 3D art was pretty awful but playing the "Beta" I didn't once have a negative reaction to the models.

No idea. Whichever was on GOG.com

The models aren't ugly as such, but they do look a bit odd.

Octorok
Mar 27, 2007

gschmidl posted:

I thought The Dark Eye was effectively creepy. It's a re-telling of multiple Edgar Allan Poe tales. Especially Egaeus' side of Berenice's tale is pretty freaky.
That looks great, thanks! It looks like it was part of the Daedalic humble bundle that I picked up too, sweet.

Megazver posted:

I don't think any of these are really horror games. GK is straight up urban fantasy, the other two deal with some horror themes but they don't really try to, y'know, horrify you. Have you played Scratches?
I know, but it seemed that at the very least the intent was to have an unnerving atmosphere- I'm actually not that familiar with any adv games that are straight up horror, which is why I was looking for suggestions. I'll definitely check out Scratches, and it looks like the same developer did a kickstarter this year for a new game called Asylum.

The Cat Lady and Walking Dead games are also on my list of games to get around to.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If you don't mind playing an old game, try out Blackstone Chronicles.

There's also this list.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

Octorok posted:

That looks great, thanks! It looks like it was part of the Daedalic humble bundle that I picked up too, sweet.

I know, but it seemed that at the very least the intent was to have an unnerving atmosphere- I'm actually not that familiar with any adv games that are straight up horror, which is why I was looking for suggestions. I'll definitely check out Scratches, and it looks like the same developer did a kickstarter this year for a new game called Asylum.

The Cat Lady and Walking Dead games are also on my list of games to get around to.

I'm pretty sure The Dark Eye that they were referring to was this one from 1995, not the one Daedalic put out a few years back.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

So Dark Fall: The Journal and its sequel just went up on steam. Are they any good?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Brovstin posted:

So Dark Fall: The Journal and its sequel just went up on steam. Are they any good?

I have them from GOG. They're sort of Myst-style first person games if you like that sort of game. I thought the writing and puzzles were pretty good. They've got a bit of a horror tilt to them but nothing too frightening. I got the impression people didn't like the sequel as much but I enjoyed it. Had a fun time travel aspect to it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

choobs posted:

I'm pretty sure The Dark Eye that they were referring to was this one from 1995, not the one Daedalic put out a few years back.

Yeah, this one. The other one is based on the RPG you may know as "Realms of Arkania".

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Apparently the new Broken Sword unironically reprises the cat hair moustache puzzle from GK3.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megazver posted:

Apparently the new Broken Sword unironically reprises the cat hair moustache puzzle from GK3.

Oh God say it isn't so. That's probably where my $25 went from the Kickstarter.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

macnbc posted:

Oh God say it isn't so. That's probably where my $25 went from the Kickstarter.

It's a dog instead of a cat though.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The best part of Broken Sword was showing everybody your dirty handkerchief - maybe you'll be able to use a sticky mass of hair covered in treacle to remove obstacles through sheer power of disgust and revulsion.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I just finished DEVICE 6 on my iPhone and was seriously impressed with it. Wish there was more out there like it! (Or more original adventure games for mobile in general. There's that, Year Walk, and The Room, but anything else?)

I've added it to the OP list. Really good production values, highly recommended.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

steinrokkan posted:

The best part of Broken Sword was showing everybody your dirty handkerchief - maybe you'll be able to use a sticky mass of hair covered in treacle to remove obstacles through sheer power of disgust and revulsion.

There's Cockroach in a box that you can show to everyone! Or pretty much everything in your inventory can be shown for a comment.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Octorok posted:

I realize it's really hard to convey a sense of a threat in adv. games, but is there a game that maintains a good balance of tension from beginning to end?
Amnesia: Dark Descent is really good, but it's pretty light on the adventure.

Brovstin posted:

That was the next thing I was going to recommend, I really liked Dark Fall: The Journal. It's pretty dated by now but I played it just last year and really got into it. It's made by a writer and that shows through.

It's kinda the opposite of Amnesia, it's heavy on the adventure and light on the horror.

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER
So I know it's been talked about but uh does Edna and Harvey: Harvey's New Eyes pick up at all? Honestly I can't even tell if the game itself is bad, because the voice acting so atrocious that it makes the whole thing seem lovely and amateurish. I guess I could just mute the voices and play like that.

macnbc posted:

So I just finished DEVICE 6 on my iPhone and was seriously impressed with it. Wish there was more out there like it! (Or more original adventure games for mobile in general. There's that, Year Walk, and The Room, but anything else?)

Superbrothers Sword and Sworcery EP is really loving good if you haven't played it yet.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
GOG's doing a big 70% off sale on Anuman games. I have (and enjoyed) the Syberia games.

How are the Still Life and Atlantis games?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

macnbc posted:

Still Life is absolutely terrible.

I did this whole rundown of it on my blog but in short the puzzles are completely disconnected from the story, the story doesn't make sense, the characters are all idiots and the plot is left unfinished and just stops at an arbitrary point.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

macnbc posted:

The first game is godawful.
The second one is, somehow, worse.

choobs
Mar 25, 2004
Never bring a duck to a cock fight.

I already mentioned in the GOG thread, but I really liked Still Life, but the sequel was so bad it retroactively ruined the first game.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Still Life is absolutely terrible.

I did this whole rundown of it on my blog but in short the puzzles are completely disconnected from the story, the story doesn't make sense, the characters are all idiots and the plot is left unfinished and just stops at an arbitrary point.

Uh, the baking cookies moment was a highlight of Adventure Gaming. Do not listen to this cookie hating monster.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Which Broken Sword games are worth playing? I have the director's cut of the first game on Steam, and I see the fifth one just had it's first half released there as well. Are any of the ones in between good? Bad? I'm starting the first one now, and it seems okay, except you walk around very slowly, but I suppose I can handle that. :)

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

Chinook posted:

Which Broken Sword games are worth playing? I have the director's cut of the first game on Steam, and I see the fifth one just had it's first half released there as well. Are any of the ones in between good? Bad? I'm starting the first one now, and it seems okay, except you walk around very slowly, but I suppose I can handle that. :)

My order of preference is the original version of 1, then 2, then the Directors cut of 1, 4 is average, 3 is awful. Only just started with 5 but it seems great so far.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Chinook posted:

The first one's a pretty standard adventure game. Not bad. The second one's not quite as good as the first but is still OK. The 3D ones are just terrible.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm really enjoying the new Broken Sword. Then again, I have a lot of affection for these games. Even the third and fourth ones I am at worst ambivalent about.

Seriously though, it had me when the music started playing in the intro.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chinook posted:

I dunno, I got my measure of enjoyment out of all of them. The first one is the best one, the third one is probably the worst but I still don't regret playing it.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Even if the third one isn't great it's still worth playing to spend more time in the amiable company of George.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Gorn Myson posted:

Seriously though, it had me when the music started playing in the intro.

It wasn't just me? I'm glad. My only complaint with 5 so far is that the voice levels seem to be all over the place. Hmm, this painting.. $60,000?! WELL HELLO FATHER, ARE YOU ALRIGHT?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

You can tell they added more dialogue later in the development, but its strange when you first hear the volume changes.

But its a minor complaint for me, I'm just happy chilling out with Nico and George in a beautifully drawn Paris. This game is gorgeous.