Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

How the heck did they get it from the assembly line to the shipping crate? Or the shipping crate to the delivery truck? Or the delivery truck to the car lot? Do they have some magical system where they can transport a car anywhere in the world without ever once firing up the engine?

Basically what I'm saying is it sounds like someone really needed some new wires and snuck onto the lot after dark.

Someone probably ganked them during shipping. I was there when it rolled off the truck at the lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Brand new sports car in America has spark plug wires to steal :negative:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Is everything COP these days? I haven't owned a car newer than 2003. :saddowns:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Pretty much, LSx and chrysler's pushrod V8's are the only modern (hah!) motor I'm aware of that still has leads.

Hiluxes arrive in NZ without any sort of A/C. Then the higher specced ones have the entire air conditioning system, as well as the more complex HVAC controls installed at port of entry. At one point I had to fit an A/C kit to one that somehow slipped through the cracks and didn't have it fitted despite being a top of the range model. The instructions were like a phone book and I duly ignored them.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slavvy posted:

Hiluxes arrive in NZ without any sort of A/C. Then the higher specced ones have the entire air conditioning system, as well as the more complex HVAC controls installed at port of entry. At one point I had to fit an A/C kit to one that somehow slipped through the cracks and didn't have it fitted despite being a top of the range model. The instructions were like a phone book and I duly ignored them.

I've been told by multiple people (including two long-time dealer mechanics) that Hondas used to arrive in the US the same way - a/c was usually a dealer-added item. Even in the :supaburn: south.

I want to say this changed in the early.. 1990s?

I think these days, the only Hondas that ship without a/c (in North America anyway) are base models intended for Canada. Not 100% on that.

fake edit: just checked Honda.ca, the DX Fit can be ordered without a/c. Looks like everything else in their lineup has standard a/c now :psyduck:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Slavvy posted:

Pretty much, LSx and chrysler's pushrod V8's are the only modern (hah!) motor I'm aware of that still has leads.

To be fair, it's only because there's not really any sane place to put a true COP setup - it is one coil per plug, but the coil is mounted up on the rocker cover while the plug sticks out the exhaust side of the head. The leads are short as all hell - honestly the "leads" coming down off of the coils on my Mazdaspeed3 were nearly as long to reach all the way down between the cams.

And unless Dodge did something really weird with that Neon, yeah, the wires got ganked at some point post-factory / pre-delivery. I really, really doubt that the Corvette line is unique in that cars drive off under their own power after having been fired up a few times along the way.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

some texas redneck posted:

I've been told by multiple people (including two long-time dealer mechanics) that Hondas used to arrive in the US the same way - a/c was usually a dealer-added item. Even in the :supaburn: south.

I want to say this changed in the early.. 1990s?

I think these days, the only Hondas that ship without a/c (in North America anyway) are base models intended for Canada. Not 100% on that.

fake edit: just checked Honda.ca, the DX Fit can be ordered without a/c. Looks like everything else in their lineup has standard a/c now :psyduck:

Buddy of mine used to sell Dodge/Chrysler stuff back in the day. They had a lady who had been around forever but for whatever reason was getting pushed out by some new management. In spite, she ordered some Dodge Calibers with no A/C. In Texas.

He said they sat on the lot for months, selling a few in the winter (:v:) and then unloading the rest at auction.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

SyHopeful posted:

Well...

1. This was longggg after I converted to vacuum boost brakes
2. Heater core wasn't the problem! Turns out the weatherseal that sealed the whole assembly to the firewall failed

:suicide:

I may have asked this once already, but what kit did you get to convert to vacuum boost? Christmas is going to be better for my car than it is for me.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Bovril Delight posted:

He said they sat on the lot for months, selling a few in the winter (:v:) and then unloading the rest at auction.

Hahahaha. That's all. :v:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Dr.Smasher posted:

I may have asked this once already, but what kit did you get to convert to vacuum boost? Christmas is going to be better for my car than it is for me.

Some guy on the turbobuick.com forums was selling kits, but really they were just Monte Carlo vacuum MC/booster assemblies. They were a direct bolt in, only had to tweak the brake lines a bit to make them fit. I'm pretty sure the pedal assembly was the same as well.

Honestly if I were you I'd just try to find a good used vacuum setup from a same-year G-body and swap that in.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

No. 6 posted:

Potato, potahtow, there isn't any magic dealer box that consumers are incapable of getting access to.

My point was that VAG-COM is a $25 potato and Durametric is a $300 patatoh.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

My point was that VAG-COM is a $25 potato and Durametric is a $300 patatoh.

gently caress me its time to buy a Porsche if the diag toys are that cheap.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

cursedshitbox posted:

Ask Motronic which one he owns again. Its like asking Karl Pilkington about the future. :keke:

Also, stop sending STR dick pics. It really tends to detract from the conversation when he has to "go idle" for minutes at a time.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
In no way a failure:

This is awesome.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

cursedshitbox posted:

Well, for one VAGCOM is actually $350 for the HEX+CAN cable so that should bump your pricing idea up a bit.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tide posted:

In no way a failure:

This is awesome.

That's a goddamned spectacular idea. Also an excellent litmus test for womenfolk you bring home.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Looks like I'll be avoiding Hankook for my next tire set, apparently these were just a couple months old, first track day, and they just tore to pieces:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
What the hell?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Looks like a little sidewall scrub there - I wonder what his pressures were.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

IPCRESS posted:

Looks like a little sidewall scrub there - I wonder what his pressures were.

I thought the same thing, he said he was at 42 hot from a few laps, then took it down to 38 hot, which is about right for tracking an E39 M5. I'm guessing the treads couldn't cope with the weight of the car.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
There is no way a V12 will stand up to track duty on a heavy car like that.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

Das Volk posted:

I thought the same thing, he said he was at 42 hot from a few laps, then took it down to 38 hot, which is about right for tracking an E39 M5. I'm guessing the treads couldn't cope with the weight of the car.

What Hankook compound is that? Who says those pressures are correct? Pyrometer data or seat-of-the-pants intuition? Hankook's RS3 is one of the darlings of the street-tire autocross world and they are highly regarded by track guys, specifically for their ability to cope with high heat as well as some R-compounds and better than almost every street tire. This looks like a tire pressure issue, not a tire manufacturer issue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Two big things there - first, the V12 is definitely not the RS3, and it really isn't the right tire for a heavy fast car driven hard at a track day.

Second, there's a big difference in a tire that's good for autocross, where you run it hard for a minute and sit, and a tire that's good for a 15-minute hotlap session.

That said, I've got to agree on the pressures; what basis was he using for 42 hot / 38 hot being 'right'? That tire is clearly getting pushed onto its sidewall in a bad way. You'd either need to run more tire pressure, or get a tire with stiffer sidewalls to begin with.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Blows my mind how different car tires and motorcycle tires are trackwise - especially in terms of dealing with tire pressure.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm going to have to agree on wrong tires for the car. M5 is too heavy to be running those at the track at anything above a mellow pace. Run that in a-group...good luck. Sure it would held up fine for an autocross where they have plenty of time to cool down but a 15-20 minute hard session and those tires didn't stand a chance.

Throw those on a more appropriate (lighter) car and they would likely be fine.

edit: damnit I need to stop leaving tabs open and coming back later.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

BlackMK4 posted:

Blows my mind how different car tires and motorcycle tires are trackwise - especially in terms of dealing with tire pressure.

Nice thing about bike tires, you know when you pushed onto the sidewall because you're sliding on your rear end into the gravel

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
It probably didn't help that the track only had 12 cars on it and as a result we were all going as fast as we could manage. My PS2s held up well but with traction and brakes being your only limitation poo poo starts wearing out fast. I think I need some better pads and definitely a set of track wheels and tires.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Not sure if getting shot down counts as a mechanical failure, but here's a big chunk of Messerschmitt:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

IOwnCalculus posted:

Two big things there - first, the V12 is definitely not the RS3, and it really isn't the right tire for a heavy fast car driven hard at a track day.

Second, there's a big difference in a tire that's good for autocross, where you run it hard for a minute and sit, and a tire that's good for a 15-minute hotlap session.

That said, I've got to agree on the pressures; what basis was he using for 42 hot / 38 hot being 'right'? That tire is clearly getting pushed onto its sidewall in a bad way. You'd either need to run more tire pressure, or get a tire with stiffer sidewalls to begin with.

V12 sidewalls are like butter, when I put them on my old e36 I thought I had winter tires on again. I know an e36 M3 owner who ran them all season this year (6 events?) and never had wear like that, but I don't recall his pressures. I tracked on them once and really didn't like it, very greasy. The pilot super sports on my M3 felt much better, but next time I'm just going to run R888s. With the team toyo deals it is absurd how cheap you can get a set. Last time 245/40/17s were 575 tax in.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 4, 2013

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

V12's are definitely not a tire I'd track on a heavy car. RS3's might be okay, but the sidewalls are pretty soft on them too. There's a reason miata guys run them in 225/45/15 on a 9" wheel, a little bit of stretch really helps them out.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Phanatic posted:

Not sure if getting shot down counts as a mechanical failure, but here's a big chunk of Messerschmitt:

I find it interesting how many things they did 'wrong' on WWII era aircraft engines. Roller bearings on the crank on an engine that big seems...suboptimal.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Slavvy posted:

I find it interesting how many things they did 'wrong' on WWII era aircraft engines. Roller bearings on the crank on an engine that big seems...suboptimal.

They don't last as long but they have less drag than journal bearings. Journal bearings also require decently tight construction tolerances that probably couldn't be achieved at a large scale in WWII Germany.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Slavvy posted:

IIRC the Germans suffered from a shortage of ball bearings because the US/UK bombed the poo poo out of the factories every chance they got.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

But their engines still worked pretty damned well considering

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They did, briefly. The engine lifespan was laughably short across nations. Still, an upside-down, fuel-injected, twin spark, twin-supercharged (and intercooled!), methanol sipping v12 is pretty loving cool regardless

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
To continue on with heater core hell

This was one I did in a discovery II early last year.
FSM says pull the dash. I say dislocate some body parts and pop in behind it. cuts 2 good hours off the time.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

They did, briefly. The engine lifespan was laughably short across nations. Still, an upside-down, fuel-injected, twin spark, twin-supercharged (and intercooled!), methanol sipping v12 is pretty loving cool regardless

The crank for the Tigers motor was literlly bolted together. Maybach was loving nuts.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

cursedshitbox posted:

To continue on with heater core hell
[timg]http://i.imgur.com/p5xNYxdl.jpg[/tig]

This was one I did in a discovery II early last year.
FSM says pull the dash. I say dislocate some body parts and pop in behind it. cuts 2 good hours off the time.

Always good when you can find a shortcut :shepface:

I can't remember if it was a heater core or electrical issue, but the Rover shop I worked at had a Classic LWB come in and needed the dash pulled. The problem was it had sat in the sun for so many years and was so badly damaged that it had shrunk, and unbolting it allowed it to shrink even more, to where all the bolt holes were about half an inch off. Took most of the afternoon massaging it back into place without causing more damage. gently caress anything involving removing dashboards, on any car but especially that one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
I flat refuse to pull any rover dash older than 2000. exception is hard plastic dashed classics.

when I replaced the dash structure in my p38 prior to the accident, I removed all the support bolts and the thing literally caved in on itself. 96' fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
There's an alignment issue there too, but really that person just exceeded what those tires are capable of. Great as an inexpensive street tire though.