Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Hogburto posted:

:doh: Can't believe myself.

Honestly, at $5/mo... Keep. News demon no matter what you do. If you see a cracking deal on another provider, get it and run both for a bit to see if you like it. I switched from super news to news demon, and find it better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Usenetserver supposedly has a $60 a year plan today only but I can't find it (it's mentioned on nzbsu).

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 29, 2013

Gargamel
Mar 14, 2004

BrosephofArimathea posted:

heads up, brothers - signups are open.

Thanks so much, finally managed to sign up!

sedative
Mar 20, 2003

‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ ‏ :allears:
$4 unlimited from newsdemon (highwinds) is still available https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=20131123

xgalaxy
Jan 27, 2004
i write code

sedative posted:

$4 unlimited from newsdemon (highwinds) is still available https://www.newsdemon.com/billinginfo.php?pricepointid=20131123

drat. Thats pretty good. I think I'm paying 8/mo with Supernews currently.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Yeah wow for half the price I'm currently paying I'll tolerate Highwinds with a backfill server, thanks for the heads up.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

BrosephofArimathea posted:

heads up, brothers - signups are open.

Awesome. It looks pretty nice; I've never used it before.

If I have nzbs.org, do people think it's worth the :10bux: to keep dognzb? I'm always concerned that nzbs.org might close, but I'm feeling especially cheap right now.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

B-Nasty posted:

If I have nzbs.org, do people think it's worth the :10bux: to keep dognzb? I'm always concerned that nzbs.org might close, but I'm feeling especially cheap right now.

I don't have nzbs.org access, but I do have a nzb.su account and I personally prefer dognzb.Both have had a few things that the other didn't so I like having both, and it's a one time fee.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

B-Nasty posted:

It can be worth it if you use a lot of api calls, of which I believe nzbs.org has a daily or hourly limit

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I have a dedicated HTPC that acts as my tv appliance via XBMC as well as handling sick beard, couch potato, sab, etc.
I use xbmcbuntu and manually upgrading to Frodo has given me nothing but problems, killing my spotify access and exhibiting embarrassing performance with airplay.

It's xbmcbuntu still maintained or what? Feeling hosed here

E: I guess what I really mean is, it's there a better distro? Is xbmcbuntu going to have a new native install any time soon?

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 1, 2013

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
DogNZB is definitely worth the money. If I could figure out how to have downloads grabbed using their built in TV Watchlist be categorized as TV for post-processing in SAB, but other stuff grabbed from there using the search not be categorized, I'd stop using SickBeard/NZBDrone and use DOG exclusively.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Does nzbdstatus not work with dognzb, or have I once again missed some side-release of nzbdstatus and I'm a couple months behind on updates?

I'm not getting the sab icon for downloads, I've just got the blue arrow that actually downloads a nzb file, and it puts duplicates in SAB.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
I got a dognzb account on Friday and searched for the last several things I pulled from nzbs.org, and couldn't find about half of them by searching on dognzb. Am I missing something here? All of them were fairly popular items I'd expect to find on any indexer.

Lusername
Sep 22, 2005
The truth is just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
I think DOGnzb only shows results from categories you're subscribed to (which can be quite handy). Click on My Profile then the Categories tab to check which ones you have ticked.

That $4/month unlimited Newsdemon deal is a steal compared to what I was forking out for Supernews. Hoping Highwinds these days isn't a massive step down from the Giganews feed.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Juice Box Hero posted:

I have a dedicated HTPC that acts as my tv appliance via XBMC as well as handling sick beard, couch potato, sab, etc.
I use xbmcbuntu and manually upgrading to Frodo has given me nothing but problems, killing my spotify access and exhibiting embarrassing performance with airplay.

It's xbmcbuntu still maintained or what? Feeling hosed here

E: I guess what I really mean is, it's there a better distro? Is xbmcbuntu going to have a new native install any time soon?

You want the xbmc thread

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
What do I need to do to get Sick Beard to automatically update show listings? Several times I've wondered why it hasn't grabbed a new episode when I know a new one is available. I discovered that Sick Beard won't pick up new episodes unless I manually force a full update on a particular show, but I don't want to have to go through the dozen or so shows I've selected and manually update them every so often.

elwood
Mar 28, 2001

by Smythe
I think sickbeard does a daily update at 3 am. If your pc is not running at that time, you are out of luck. You can however mass update all your shows at once (manage/mass update, check update column and hit submit).

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Karthe posted:

What do I need to do to get Sick Beard to automatically update show listings? Several times I've wondered why it hasn't grabbed a new episode when I know a new one is available. I discovered that Sick Beard won't pick up new episodes unless I manually force a full update on a particular show, but I don't want to have to go through the dozen or so shows I've selected and manually update them every so often.

Is your Sickbeard set up to automatically update those shows? From memory, there's an option you can turn off that will stop it updating shows that may have been tripped.

OppyDoppyDopp
Feb 17, 2012
As SABnzbd can suspend a PC after clearing its queue, is there a way to use the same function to remotely suspend a PC without downloading something first? I'm running OpenElec and can't find a way to suspend the system after I'm done streaming remotely.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Can someone explain something to me? What does the indexer do and what does the host do? I mean wouldn't an indexer need to be tied to a specific host? Or is it that all hosts basically contain a mirror of usenet, and some just delete stuff that is older than a certain amount of time? Why can't the server also be an indexer?

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Can someone explain something to me? What does the indexer do and what does the host do? I mean wouldn't an indexer need to be tied to a specific host? Or is it that all hosts basically contain a mirror of usenet, and some just delete stuff that is older than a certain amount of time? Why can't the server also be an indexer?

Correct. Having an indexer would probably run them afoul of the common carrier laws that shield them from being sued. At least, that would be my guess.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Usenet messages are identified by "MID"s, or Message-IDs, which are globally unique. Article numbers are not, so when Highwinds talks to Astraweb and says "IHATE <messageid>", Astraweb is free to renumber that with whatever they want. They're also free to renumber their articles at any time, as long as they don't mind potentially pissing users off (readers almost always order by article number, so renumbering may throw a wrench into Thunderbird or whatever). The NZBs indexers provide are list of MIDs, so they work across all networks.

Usenet is big, and it's a lot of traffic. Some providers purge it. Some get DMCA takedowns for some MIDs. That's why you have multiple providers.

Given this information, and knowing that indexing takes an enormous amount of resources, what benefit does it offer providers to run their own indexers?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
So far so good with NewsDemon (Highwinds), I'm surprised after hearing so much bad stuff about it over the years. My BlockNews fill hasn't been hit at all so far. Hopefully this keeps up, paying $5 less than Supernews for the same results is pretty nice.

I wish nzbget had decent per-server usage tracking though.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Gunslinger posted:

So far so good with NewsDemon (Highwinds), I'm surprised after hearing so much bad stuff about it over the years. My BlockNews fill hasn't been hit at all so far. Hopefully this keeps up, paying $5 less than Supernews for the same results is pretty nice.

I wish nzbget had decent per-server usage tracking though.

Yeah, I switched to NewsDemon from Supernews a few months ago and haven't had any complaints.

monkey_drone
Dec 4, 2013
I sometimes have problems with old files, GrabIT can't seem to find all the blocks.
The claimed retention is far longer than the age of the nzb.

Does the problem lie with the site i download nzb's from or the provider?
Can the files that gets linked in the nzb be too old?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

monkey_drone posted:

Can the files that gets linked in the nzb be too old?
Yes. Pretend an NZB is a list of links. Those links can be out of retention even if I posted the list today.

Highwinds is pretty good but certain things get taken down fairly quickly. Using Sickbeard for new releases should almost always work, but if you fall behind that can be a problem.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Yes. Pretend an NZB is a list of links. Those links can be out of retention even if I posted the list today.
It's more likely that the post was DMCA'ed.

Basically, if you ever have the problem: "TRIED TO DOWNLOAD AND DIDN'T WORK!!! WAT DO?" the answer is almost certainly "post got DMCA'ed".

If you don't like this there's not a whole lot anyone can do about it. You can get a second host from a different newsfeed, you can download stuff as soon as it's released, or you can not use Usenet.

monkey_drone
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks guys!

The things i downloaded seemed like stuff that would get DMCA'd, and some general "old stuff" is almost always damaged.
Which provider has the best retention/least broken files?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
You need multiple providers, one main one and several backups. Also, put both the US and EU servers of all your providers.

I'll post again my blockbuster setup which has had I think only 1 or 2 failures since I started it:

Server: usnews.blocknews.net

Server: news-ssl.newsgroupdirect.com

Server: eunews.blocknews.net

Server: news-eu-ssl.newsgroupdirect.com

Server: news.tweaknews.eu

Server: news.supernews.com

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
Wait, so I can add the euro server of my primary provider as a back-up? More importantly, doing that can potentially resolve some of the retention issues?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

dzarc posted:

Wait, so I can add the euro server of my primary provider as a back-up? More importantly, doing that can potentially resolve some of the retention issues?

Yes it can. Strange, I know, but yes, I have seen activity where something gets completed by using both eu and us servers.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
Thanks for the tip! Going to do that when I get home.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

evol262 posted:

Usenet is big, and it's a lot of traffic. Some providers purge it. Some get DMCA takedowns for some MIDs. That's why you have multiple providers.

Traffic of what? What the hell else does anyone use Usenet for other than "Linux Iso"

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

YouTuber posted:

Traffic of what? What the hell else does anyone use Usenet for other than "Linux Iso"

It's >10TB/day of traffic in Linux ISOs. Boneless alone has 2PB of ISOs.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I just got my box running again from a two week long downtime because of some trouble with the fans and it's going through all my listings and snatcing them without problem. However two of them failed. Checking it out in detail "Downloaded in 37 seconds at an average of 4 KB/s
1776 articles were missing"

I'm running Astraweb and NewsgroupDirect on a 1TB block plan and a free account from Xusenet which downloads at like 56k speeds but is enough to clean up any missed articles. Three separate backbones, binary retention is not an issue in this case. What the hell is going on here?

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
It's not unlikely for something to be removed from every backend, a little while ago I tried getting a block or free account from every backend to test a file that was removed from Astraweb. It was incomplete on every single one I had, just to varying degrees.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Well that was quick :( All sorts of issues with NewsDemon this week, many many incompletes and other oddities. Back to Supernews so I don't lose my old package, I'll keep an eye on the backfill and then look at other options if it keeps up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Gunslinger posted:

Well that was quick :( All sorts of issues with NewsDemon this week, many many incompletes and other oddities. Back to Supernews so I don't lose my old package, I'll keep an eye on the backfill and then look at other options if it keeps up.

Are you sure it was something on NewsDemon's end?

I get a lot of stuff every week with sickbeard...nothing esoteric just popular USA stuff...and haven't had any problems. In fact, neither of my backup providers have been hit at all this week.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thermopyle posted:

Are you sure it was something on NewsDemon's end?

I get a lot of stuff every week with sickbeard...nothing esoteric just popular USA stuff...and haven't had any problems. In fact, neither of my backup providers have been hit at all this week.

Yeah I still had my Supernews account going since the billing period hadn't arrived yet so I switched to there and had no problems. The first few days I shrugged off but at the end of the week it had failed as many downloads as not. I had to do a bunch of stuff manually to fix things up and the WAF means that I can't really get away with that happening too often. Oh well no big deal, it's only an extra $4. Probably just our choice of files anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
So I've recently started working on the Couchpotato project a bit.. Currently have a pending pull request that adds a configuration toggle for the dereferer.

I've got a few ideas kicking around in my head, but for those of you who use it, any features you'd love to see added?