Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Cream_Filling posted:

Why do you hate visibility/necks Ford?

Welcome to new cars these days. Having a large greenhouse isn't good for the new crash tests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

G-Mach posted:

Welcome to new cars these days. Having a large greenhouse isn't good for the new crash tests.

I wish I lived in the timeline where Scotty invented transparent aluminum and saved the whales.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

pik_d posted:

I wish I lived in the timeline where Scotty invented transparent aluminum and saved the whales.

They're building that boondoggle fighter jet with a bunch of cameras and an Occulus Rift like helmet to make the plane transparent to the pilot.

I don't think it works reliably and costs a billion dollars but hey, maybe they'll perfect it just in time for the self driving flying car to make the point moot.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Xguard86 posted:

They're building that boondoggle fighter jet with a bunch of cameras and an Occulus Rift like helmet to make the plane transparent to the pilot.

I don't think it works reliably and costs a billion dollars but hey, maybe they'll perfect it just in time for the self driving flying car to make the point moot.
I wonder if it'll be like the transparent hulls in Larry Niven's known space universe, where some people can cope ok with them, but most find it makes them feel rather ill.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Xguard86 posted:

I think the helmet is one of the coolest parts of the F-35.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

G-Mach posted:

Between the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger; the current Mustang has really good visibility. I would say it's not noticeably worse than most family sedans. I really hope Ford has maintained that quality with the new car.

edit: Reposting from the 'Stang thread:

I love how quickly the roofline tapers down and how pronounced the trunk looks in that picture. It looks like an honest to god fastback again. :unsmith:

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 4, 2013

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right
More Mustang pictures

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=971

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

that makes it look more attractive. if you cover up the mustangey front end, the back looks almost like a jaguar xk/bentley continental.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

SouthLAnd posted:

Between the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger; the current Mustang has really good visibility. I would say it's not noticeably worse than most family sedans. I really hope Ford has maintained that quality with the new car.

edit: Reposting from the 'Stang thread:

I love how quickly the roofline tapers down and how pronounced the trunk looks in that picture. It looks like an honest to god fastback again. :unsmith:

If it still has a pronounced trunk, doesn't that make it a notchback?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

The Midniter posted:

Sure, a loving Acura crossover or some poo poo.

Also next year the BTCC Honda team will be running some awesome-looking Civic wagon body styles.

A ZDX Type R with SH-AWD might be pretty rad actually.

The new Mustang looks pretty good. I knew it wouldn't measure up to the gorgeous C/D "leak", but it's close enough.

Too bad someone had to go post that awesome helmet and draw all my attention away from it. :v:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

PeterWeller posted:

A ZDX Type R with SH-AWD might be pretty rad actually.

The new Mustang looks pretty good. I knew it wouldn't measure up to the gorgeous C/D "leak", but it's close enough.

Too bad someone had to go post that awesome helmet and draw all my attention away from it. :v:

A ZDX is a fastback MDX. The MDX is a 3 row minivan. To make either of those cars interesting would require a very big engine indeed.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Throatwarbler posted:

A ZDX is a fastback MDX. The MDX is a 3 row minivan. To make either of those cars interesting would require a very big engine indeed.

I thought the ZDX was the small crossover. What is that, the RDX?

E: too bad Acura can't use real namea for their cars. I think something like Integra or Legend would sound really nice. :v:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

donut posted:

I suspected the Mustang's profile would look more appealing if not for the distortion due to the fold in the magazine and the perspective distortion, so I took the liberty of smoothing it out in photoshop.

Much better. Looks a lot less like a Z or that Accord now that it's been lengthened out to its presumed actual proportions.

Whoever took pictures of that magazine really did the car a disservice. Having seen the official shots, I really like it. Can't wait to see it in person next year.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
So more details have been revealed on the new Mustang.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/05/2015-ford-mustang-official-photos-reveal-info/

New Features for 2015:

- HVAC knobs for MyFordTouch. Like a Chrysler!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Snowdens Secret posted:

That was my guess, reverse GIS confirms

The concept also has about a foot less car behind the rear axle, I wonder if it was impossible to pull off and maintain crash standards.

Probably more like it's impossible to pull off while keeping a regular trunk instead of a liftback.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Throatwarbler posted:

So more details have been revealed on the new Mustang.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/05/2015-ford-mustang-official-photos-reveal-info/

New Features for 2015:

- HVAC knobs for MyFordTouch. Like a Chrysler!

- 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TheMadMilkman posted:

Whoever took pictures of that magazine really did the car a disservice. Having seen the official shots, I really like it. Can't wait to see it in person next year.

ok, 200lbs lighter, IRS, 300hp 2.3l ecoboost, and looks like that, i'm sold.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Also look at all the fukkin' buttons:

Those toggle switches for car settings at the bottom are pretty awesome

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
poo poo, it's almost what I wish I would have got when I bought my 2013 Focus ST.

I bet it's even in roughly the same price range with that Ecoboost.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Australia gets the Ecoboost or the V8 only.

Also it will probably cost roughly twice as much for the base model because :australia:

2.3L turbo 4 sounds good if it doesnt weigh a fuckton.

EDIT: 300HP in a 1500kg car aint too bad I guess?

Drop in a 4L I6T from the falcon and we're in business :getin:

Laserface fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 5, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Well here's what it looks like with no roof.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Now that looks pretty good.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
That angle makes it look like most of the car is in the back.
The pictures are looking a lot better overall though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The vertical height of the windshield in the convertible picture is loving tiny.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
So thats it, i guess i'm buying convertibles for the rest of my life, i couldnt drive a sports car with all the driver visibility of a 60 year old panzer. (without a periscope)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2013/Dec/1205-chevy-europe.html

Remember a few years ago when GM introduced Chevrolet into Europe to compete with Opel/Vauxhall because why not? Well after pissing billions of dollars down the drain they
ve realized it was a dumb idea and are just going to give up and go back to square one. Of course it will cost them another billion to shut down the brand.

quote:

Opel/Vauxhall to compete as GM’s mainstream brands across Europe
Chevrolet to focus on iconic products in Europe
Cadillac to expand in Europe
DETROIT – General Motors today announced plans to accelerate its progress in Europe by bolstering its brands in the mainstream and premium segments.

Beginning in 2016, GM will compete in Europe’s volume markets under its respected Opel and Vauxhall brands. The company’s Chevrolet brand will no longer have a mainstream presence in Western and Eastern Europe, largely due to a challenging business model and the difficult economic situation in Europe.

Chevrolet, the fourth-largest global automotive brand, will instead tailor its presence to offering select iconic vehicles – such as the Corvette – in Western and Eastern Europe, and will continue to have a broad presence in Russia and the Commonwealth of Independent States.

This will improve the Opel and Vauxhall brands and reduce the market complexity associated with having Opel and Chevrolet in Western and Eastern Europe. In Russia and the CIS, the brands are clearly defined and distinguished and, as a result, are more competitive within their respective segments.

Cadillac, which is finalizing plans for expanding in the European market, will enhance and expand its distribution network over the next three years as it prepares for numerous product introductions.

“Europe is a key region for GM that will benefit from a stronger Opel and Vauxhall and further emphasis on Cadillac,” said GM Chairman and CEO Dan Akerson. “For Chevrolet, it will allow us to focus our investments where the opportunity for growth is greatest.”

“This is a win for all four brands. It’s especially positive for car buyers throughout Europe, who will be able to purchase vehicles from well-defined, vibrant GM brands,” Akerson said.

Chevrolet will work closely with its dealer network in Western and Eastern Europe to define future steps while ensuring it can honor obligations to existing customers in the coming years.

“Our customers can rest assured that we will continue to provide warranty, parts and services for their Chevrolet vehicles, and for vehicles purchased between now and the end of 2015,” said Thomas Sedran, president and managing director of Chevrolet Europe. “We want to thank our customers and dealers for their loyalty to the Chevrolet brand here in Europe.”

The majority of the Chevrolet portfolio sold in Western and Eastern Europe is produced in South Korea. As a result, GM will increase its focus on driving profitability, managing costs and maximizing sales opportunities in its Korean operations as the company looks for new ways to improve business results in the fast-changing and highly competitive global business environment.

“We will continue to become more competitive in Korea,” said GM Korea President and CEO Sergio Rocha. “In doing so, we will position ourselves for long-term competitiveness and sustainability in the best interests of our employees, customers and stakeholders, while remaining a significant contributor to GM’s global business.”

With the decision that Chevrolet will no longer have a mainstream presence in Western and Eastern Europe, GM expects to record net special charges of $700 million to $1 billion primarily in the fourth quarter of 2013 and continuing through the first half of 2014. The special charges include asset impairments, dealer restructuring, sales incentives and severance-related costs, and will pave the way for continued improvement in GM’s European operations through the further strengthening of the Opel and Vauxhall brands. Approximately $300 million of the net special charges will be non-cash expenses. In addition, GM expects to incur restructuring costs related to these actions that will not be treated as special charges, but will impact GM International Operations earnings in 2014.
About General Motors Co.
General Motors Co. (NYSE:GM, TSX: GMM) and its partners produce vehicles in 30 countries, and the company has leadership positions in the world's largest and fastest-growing automotive markets. GM, its subsidiaries and joint venture entities sell vehicles under the Chevrolet, Cadillac, Baojun, Buick, GMC, Holden, Isuzu, Jiefang, Opel, Vauxhall and Wuling brands. More information on the company and its subsidiaries, including OnStar, a global leader in vehicle safety, security and information services, can be found at http://www.gm.com.
# # #

Forward-Looking Statements
In this press release and in related comments by our management, our use of the words “expect,” “anticipate,” “possible,” “potential,” “target,” “believe,” “commit,” “intend,” “continue,” “may,” “would,” “could,” “should,” “project,” “projected,” “positioned” or similar expressions is intended to identify forward-looking statements that represent our current judgment about possible future events. We believe these judgments are reasonable, but these statements are not guarantees of any events or financial results, and our actual results may differ materially due to a variety of important factors. Among other items, such factors might include: our ability to realize production efficiencies and to achieve reductions in costs as a result of our restructuring initiatives and labor modifications; our ability to maintain quality control over our vehicles and avoid material vehicle recalls; our ability to maintain adequate financing sources, including as required to fund our planned significant investment in new technology; our ability to successfully integrate Ally Financial’s international operations; the ability of our suppliers to timely deliver parts, components and systems; our ability to realize successful vehicle applications of new technology; overall strength and stability of our markets, particularly Europe; our ability to remain competitive in Korea, our ability to accurately estimate the described special and restructuring charges and our ability to continue to attract new customers, particularly for our new products. GM's most recent annual report on Form 10-K provides information about these and other factors, which we may revise or supplement in future reports to the SEC.

Well, thanks for the bailout guys! :tipshat:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Looks great except for the absolutely tiny side windows - I'll consider one when my Fiesta ST lease is up in 2 years. I really hope it's easier to see out of than the Camaro.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

- 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine

- Paddle shifters on the automatic.

EDIT: Have some more poo poo

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 5, 2013

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Holy poo poo they knocked it outta the park. That looking great.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

What are the odds this shares anything with older Ford or maybe Mazda 2.3s? And any idea how square the bore/stroke is? I'm not finding anything with the Google.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

Well here's what it looks like with no roof.

It's easier to like high beltlines when there's nothing above it. I definitely like those toggle switches though.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Snowdens Secret posted:

What are the odds this shares anything with older Ford or maybe Mazda 2.3s? And any idea how square the bore/stroke is? I'm not finding anything with the Google.

I cant imagine it's anything more than a bored out 2.0 ecoboost shared with the Focus ST.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
I don't know how I feel about the new 'Stang. I really want to love it and technically-speaking I do as it's just more of everything great, but that front end....it just rubs me the wrong way. Like mentioned before, it's a lot of Taurus. Maybe too much.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't wanted a Ford product since I was 10 and wanted my dad's classic Mustangs, and I want one of these in that red, manual, with the 2.3 ecoboost.

Guess I need to start saving toward a down payment.

Edit: Actually in retrospect I'd never get it in my driveway with that front lip/that ground clearance. My current and previous three vehicles have all nose scraped like mad unless you find the perfect angle to come in and out and never deviate (and clearly I fail at it.)

PCOS Bill fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 5, 2013

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

PCOS Bill posted:

I haven't wanted a Ford product since I was 10 and wanted my dad's classic Mustangs, and I want one of these in that red, manual, with the 2.3 ecoboost.

Guess I need to start saving toward a down payment.

No joke. Ford has been hitting it out of the park in the past few years. I've been reading about the redesign for the better part of this morning and the more I look at it the more I want it. The interior is probably what impresses me most; sporty yet classy. Those toggle buttons are the poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Throatwarbler posted:

Remember a few years ago when GM introduced Chevrolet into Europe to compete with Opel/Vauxhall because why not? Well after pissing billions of dollars down the drain they
ve realized it was a dumb idea and are just going to give up and go back to square one.
Read as "we slapped a bowtie on the grille of a load of Daewoos and fooled absolutely no-one"

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

travisray2004 posted:

I don't know how I feel about the new 'Stang. I really want to love it and technically-speaking I do as it's just more of everything great, but that front end....it just rubs me the wrong way. Like mentioned before, it's a lot of Taurus. Maybe too much.

Considering the typical aftermarket for mustangs, I'd expect plenty of alternatives to hit the market soon. And also it will probably be refreshed in a few years anyway.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan

Cream_Filling posted:

Considering the typical aftermarket for mustangs, I'd expect plenty of alternatives to hit the market soon. And also it will probably be refreshed in a few years anyway.

That's what I was thinking. I was looking at the design videos and it looked really good with nostril scoops. Added some contrast to the face.
By the time I can afford one they'll definitely have tons of aftermarket alternatives.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Personally I like it though I think the headlight treatment feels a little off in execution compared to the concepts or previous models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice
One of the videos showed the front end with those grill lights found on the previous GTs, and now I'm so pissed off that they aren't standard on the GT. I'm also kind of peeved at the lack of Grabber Blue, I felt like it became an iconic color for the 2010+ Mustang, so it's a shame to not see it available.

The rest of the car is a serious knockout though. The side profile reminds me of a 2 door Mazda6, which is a good thing.