Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I have a weird feeling that people's opinions of shows will dramatically differ depending on if they watched it as it aired or binged on it all at once.

For example: I love LOST. However, I watched the whole thing in a month or so. I didn't live through endless debates about where it was going or trying to figure out what related to what when. I just enjoyed the ride and the characters (even if some if it, in retrospect, went no where).

I have a feeling it'll be the same with lots of shows, especially The Walking Dead. I've even heard people mentioning in passing they liked "the Farm season" even though it's probably the low point of the series thus far. However, that may be more due to live viewers having to wait through boring drivel while this person got through most of it in a week.

I know I'd be much less frustrated with this current season if I didn't have to wait through the last hiatus and this season for a mixed bag of a finale that should've occurred last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Yeah this is why I usually try to wait till a season is over and watch it in one go these days, especially with the more serialised nature of the stories now being told.

Re: Raising Hope Season 2... did they just have an episode where the protagonist went to confront his demons by teaming up with a friend to beat up a now-transgendered ex-school bully? :stare:

Is that what I just saw? Really?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So...Trip Tank...I'm not sure I get it. I get the feeling they are going for old MTV shows, which I never watched.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BigRed0427 posted:

So...Trip Tank...I'm not sure I get it. I get the feeling they are going for old MTV shows, which I never watched.

The animation is beyond bad on some of these; the sort of stuff you'd expect on youtube or newgrounds way back when, not on TV.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
can't believe nobody started threads for Treme or Rick and Morty

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Dead Snoopy posted:

can't believe nobody started threads for Treme or Rick and Morty

There may be a Rick and Morty thread on its way, so if anyone's planning one, hold off.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mu Zeta posted:

I think Rapey Joe was complaining about the Vic Fontaine (gently caress Vic Fontaine) episodes and I agree completely. If I see that lovely lounge in the cold open I just skip the episode. The Pah Wraigth story also had some problems. Gul Dukat started out an interesting, complicated and charming antagonist and then turned into some dude that just wanted to watch the universe burn.

Yeah I was. He's a product of the hubris of writers who were clearly bored and probably should have moved on. And you're spot on about Dukat. He's a glorious bastard with actual depth to his character, right up until they, again through Hubris and a dearth of creativity, decide to make him start doing evil for the sake of evil because who cares about consistent writing when there's a nativity to put on.
It's the result of people who clearly don't want to (and probably shouldn't) be writing for the universe of their programme any more.

I'd be inclined to put the insufferable Odo/Kira thing in there as well, but I think "gently caress Fic Fontaine" covers it nicely.

zoux posted:

People bag on Irish Joe but your opinions are almost just as regularly awful. And probably not trolls.

While that was a truly masterful rebuttal of my points, you like Vic Fontaine. Therefore in as much as an argument based on opinion can be 'won', I win.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

muscles like this? posted:

The final season of Burn Notice is kind of weird because they were obviously acting off the idea that it was the final season but the finale still kind of comes out of nowhere for the last two episodes. Also Michael makes what is pretty objectively the wrong choice at the very end. They almost go in a really interesting direction but chicken out at the last minute as in the second to the last episode Michael quits working with his crew and joins the bad guys because he feels like he could actually do more good there. But then, nah, he changes his mind and goes back to his friends.
So basically if you told me the showrunners didn't know Burn Notice was going to be renewed for one more season and were cancelled at the eleventh hour, the same thing would've happened anyway. I gave up somewhere in S5 though, it was fun week-to-week which I guess was the whole point of the show but the "who burned me" plot of each and every season was always infuriating to watch.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

People bag on Irish Joe but your opinions are almost just as regularly awful. And probably not trolls.

Also FX is wisely handing Louie CK a blank check and free rein to do whatever.

Nope. Irish Joe has bad opinions because he's an idiot. Rapey Joe Stalin has really good opinions that make mewling middle of the roaders like you develop hives and wee yourself. Without RJS we'd still have 5 pages of people who think the boxing episode of BSG was good. That Seinfeld invented comedy and influenced comedies that predate it. That skipping episodes and whole seasons is an ok thing to do. And these fuckers would be unopposed. A situation not unlike Hitler getting away with everything.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Regarde Aduck posted:

Nope. Irish Joe has bad opinions because he's an idiot. Rapey Joe Stalin has really good opinions that make mewling middle of the roaders like you develop hives and wee yourself. Without RJS we'd still have 5 pages of people who think the boxing episode of BSG was good. That Seinfeld invented comedy and influenced comedies that predate it. That skipping episodes and whole seasons is an ok thing to do. And these fuckers would be unopposed. A situation not unlike Hitler getting away with everything.

This is such a weird post filled mainly with bullshit.

Irish Joe is a good poster, so is Rapey and the majority of people support all the things you listed as being Rapey's opinions.

Do you even read these forums?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Haha, I legit love this post. I wish you would post more. Would make for some fascinating reading.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm a TV radical, thanks.

Also that's gotta be an Azure Horizon rereg.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

Regarde Aduck posted:

Without RJS we'd still have 5 pages of people who think the boxing episode of BSG was good.

Literally every episode and movie that came out of Battlestar Galactica was good. There were some that were less good, and some that were significantly less good, but I never walked away from anything BSG thinking "I wish I had not watched that." And certain parts of Galactica were positively sublime.

zoux posted:

Also that's gotta be an Azure Horizon rereg.

2012 regdate, so he's just an idiot.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I loved the boxing episode!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chamberk posted:

I loved the boxing episode!

Careful not to wee yourself weak man.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I initially read that as "boxing episode of B5."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

s2 of House of Cards is out 2.14.14.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Cactus posted:

I think skipping a year was a very shrewd business move by Louie. Although he couched it in terms of "I'm exhausted I need a year off" - and that was undoubtedly true - I think the unspoken bit, at least publicly, was "hey FX, here's what your schedule for the year will look like without me, along with the ratings I bring in".
Louie is FX's lowest-rated show, so that last part is nonsense.

On Valentine's Day, because it is such a romantic show.

Or maybe it's intended as consolation for everybody who doesn't have a Valentine.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The best news.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Hey so I posted the second annual TVIVers' poll here it is

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

PriorMarcus posted:

This is such a weird post filled mainly with bullshit.

Irish Joe is a good poster, so is Rapey and the majority of people support all the things you listed as being Rapey's opinions.

Do you even read these forums?

If we had GBS rules in Couch Chat I would empty quote this.

Sophia
Apr 16, 2003

The heart wants what the heart wants.
There is too much TV to watch and I will never catch up. I've heard AHS: Coven is balling this year, is that true or not?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Sophia posted:

There is too much TV to watch and I will never catch up. I've heard AHS: Coven is balling this year, is that true or not?

I like it enough to keep watching but I think most people who really liked Asylum don't seem to be enjoying Coven quite as much.

Most of its appeal is awesome actresses chewing the poo poo out of the scenery.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno any show about witches that goes out and stunt casts Stevie Nicks gets my seal of approval.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I thought Asylum was an absolute disaster after the first season. They threw too many things into the pot and fumbled the core of the story, season one was handled with much more finesse. If the third season is closer to the third then that's great.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
One of the biggest problems Coven has, I think, is that characters' personalities change to suit any given scene/plot point. It's particularly egregious with Zoe and Queenie.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Coven has issues, but all is forgiven when I get scenes like the one with Angela Bassett at the end of the last episode.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I loved Murder House, then Asylum came along and I loved that one even more. So naturally I was excited for Coven to come out. Then it did and I was never really able to get all that interested in it. It's gotten better in the past episode or two, but I still don't think the show is nearly as good as Asylum was. This one has flashes of brilliance whereas Asylum was a whole entire season of nothing but brilliance.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Joramun posted:

Louie is FX's lowest-rated show, so that last part is nonsense.

Wasn't aware of that, should've used "critical acclaim".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xeria posted:

One of the biggest problems Coven has, I think, is that characters' personalities change to suit any given scene/plot point.

You could have changed this to Glee and still been 100% accurate. Ryan Murphy shows :negative:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Slamhound posted:

I initially read that as "boxing episode of B5."

The boxing episode of B5 makes every other shows' boxing episode look amazing.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
One might also refer to the BSG episode where D'Anna literally gets boxed as the boxing episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Cactus posted:

Wasn't aware of that, should've used "critical acclaim".

Isn't Louie incredibly cheap since Louie CK does just about every single production thing on the show himself?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I loved Murder House, then Asylum came along and I loved that one even more. So naturally I was excited for Coven to come out. Then it did and I was never really able to get all that interested in it. It's gotten better in the past episode or two, but I still don't think the show is nearly as good as Asylum was. This one has flashes of brilliance whereas Asylum was a whole entire season of nothing but brilliance.

I watched the first episode of Coven and haven't felt compelled to continue yet. I do have less time to watch stuff since I can't watch at work anymore. First world problems. :(

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

I watched the first episode of Coven and haven't felt compelled to continue yet. I do have less time to watch stuff since I can't watch at work anymore. First world problems. :(
If you didn't feel a connection after the first episode, it's not even worth it to watch the rest of the season. It would just be a waste of time. I'm only watching the whole thing because it's currently airing and it's something for me to watch, but I don't think I'll ever feel compelled to rewatch any of it after it ends.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Wow. I'm actually enjoying Coven a lot more than Asylum. Flaws, sure, but I think I prefer the wide-open setting of New Orleans than the claustrophobic Briarcliffe.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CobiWann posted:

Wow. I'm actually enjoying Coven a lot more than Asylum. Flaws, sure, but I think I prefer the wide-open setting of New Orleans than the claustrophobic Briarcliffe.
I'm from New Orleans and have lived here all my life and I'll watch just about anything shot/set here but even I don't really care for the setting of this season as much as Asylum's.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
I like Coven just fine, and I think it's been getting better with each episode after a slow start, but at this point it remains my least favorite of the three seasons. That's still subject to change, however.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If you're on the fence Lance Reddick is joining Coven as a voodoo demon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Papa Legba is the voice of God, not some pissant knock off Satan. :colbert:

• Locked thread