Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Thanatosian posted:

Steelcase Criterion "Like New" on Craigslist in the Seattle area for $200. I'm definitely not buying without seeing, but that seems like a pretty great deal, and those look like pretty great chairs; I am a lot more comfortable spending $200 than $800, too.

There's a guy that has a bunch pretty consistently on Seattle craigslist (the Eastside region in particular) for $145

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Jedit posted:

Just got notified that the Mirra 2 is being launched next month. Same general design and features as the original, but 22% lighter and using more environmentally friendly materials.

They also removed the foam pad under the front of the seat which is my biggest issue with the regular Mirra 1. Looks like the rest of it is pretty similar though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

There's a six-month-used Herman Miller Embody on local craigslist for $800. Worth going for at that price, or should I keep waiting and looking for a Leap? Any problems with it as a hideous fatgoon?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've had an Embody for nearly 3 years and it doesn't seem to function any differently than it did on day 1, I have no deflection or anything when I'm not on it. If the person before you wasn't a fatgoon it's probably going to be in great shape. Best chair I've ever had, I don't ever think about it.

amitlu
Nov 13, 2005

Parker Lewis posted:

I rolled the dice based on Madison Seating's good eBay feedback, and it paid off.

For $460 shipped I got a loaded Mirra that looks brand new, and it arrived in less than a week. It even has the FlexFront adjustable seat depth option despite not being advertised as such.

My impression was that they sell their better-condition chairs as "new" on eBay and the worse ones are cheaper directly from their website, but maybe that's not the case. Either way, I'm really pleased with my purchase.

Going to chime in with another positive experience with Madison Seating too. I got a chair off ebay from them and had to return it because it wasn't comfortable and get another one. The entire process was smooth and they were totally cool about it.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
Has anyone ever purchased one of those big rear end comfy manager chairs (made by companies like true, hon, boss, serta, office max, staples, etc.) that run $75-$200ish and actually gotten one that didn't lead to a sore plywood rear end after the first couple hours?

After a few more purchases and subsequent returns (returning furniture is the worst), I'm convinced those chairs are all traps. They're comfy for 5 minutes in the store (seriously, this "memory foam" one I had by true was the most comfortable office chair I've ever sat in), but you take them home and they all lead to plywood rear end after an hour or so. These are new chairs, I imagine they would be like straight-up planks after 2 months of use. It's like, dude, could you make the chair cost $50-$100 more and have it not make my rear end hurt? (no, I'm not fat. though, maybe my rear end would hurt less if I had more innate cushion.)

Beck
Dec 8, 2003

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

Has anyone ever purchased one of those big rear end comfy manager chairs (made by companies like true, hon, boss, serta, office max, staples, etc.) that run $75-$200ish and actually gotten one that didn't lead to a sore plywood rear end after the first couple hours?

After a few more purchases and subsequent returns (returning furniture is the worst), I'm convinced those chairs are all traps. They're comfy for 5 minutes in the store (seriously, this "memory foam" one I had by true was the most comfortable office chair I've ever sat in), but you take them home and they all lead to plywood rear end after an hour or so. These are new chairs, I imagine they would be like straight-up planks after 2 months of use. It's like, dude, could you make the chair cost $50-$100 more and have it not make my rear end hurt? (no, I'm not fat. though, maybe my rear end would hurt less if I had more innate cushion.)

If they're $200, and they made them $100 more to be a bit more durable, that would be what I got my Leap for (well, $325, but free shipping) which they probably can't compete with all around. They aim to be in the $100-200 market so they can make crap and get profit, especially at office retails places like staples or officemax.

If you're willing to pay around $300, you can start getting into the base models for good chairs. Especially if you're willing to get one used.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I dunno if they can't compete. I haven't sat on a leap/herman miller chair (sat in mediocre office store clones). I'm sure they're comfortable, but from the looks of them, I assume they probably lack the movie theater/driver seat feel of the big rear end manager chairs which is nice in it's own right. I'm not even sure if they have to cost over $200 to not be lovely. Like, a few companies make $200 big rear end recliners that are perfectly sufficient.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Big padded seats will gently caress your back up if you sit in them for a large amount of time. I get more than enough support from a Steelcase Think and there's next to no padding on that at all, just a mesh supported by metal rods.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Caged posted:

Big padded seats will gently caress your back up if you sit in them for a large amount of time.

I haven't read the latest chair ergonomic research, but I'm doubting this is true (true, if the seat height/arm height/lumbar curve doesn't conform with your body). They're basically the same as driver/movie theater seats. Roger Ebert seemed to have good posture.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm not entirely sure why you're posting here to be honest. You've asked about big cheap padded chairs, people have told you that they're rubbish and offered up alternatives, and you've told them they're wrong. In which case just go and buy one.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Caged posted:

I'm not entirely sure why you're posting here to be honest. You've asked about big cheap padded chairs, people have told you that they're rubbish and offered up alternatives, and you've told them they're wrong. In which case just go and buy one.

Perhaps someone will chime in with I have big rear end manager chair by XXXXXXX and it doesn't make me butthurt? There is nothing fundamentally wrong with their form (unless a specific form doesn't fit with your body), it's the quality of the foam I have issue with.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I've had exactly one big cheap padded chair that didn't instantly turn into horrible plywood rear end torture and I have no idea which kind it is.

It's amazing how fast you go from 'comfortable' to 'OH GOD MY BUTT WHYYYYY!' And obviously they don't have zippers or anything so you can easily replace the padding, nope, you'd have to cut up that "100% genuine leather" that they were so proud to crow about all over the box.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

Perhaps someone will chime in with I have big rear end manager chair by XXXXXXX and it doesn't make me butthurt? There is nothing fundamentally wrong with their form (unless a specific form doesn't fit with your body), it's the quality of the foam I have issue with.

My wife bought me some leather manager chair from a random Office Supply store like 15 years ago, and that chair was great and supportive (this predated the "goon throne" trend, for any other old timers), and I foolishly got rid of it when we moved across country.

Every other cheap chair I've seen since has terrible build quality, crappy foam that collapses after a few months (even on the big and tall models) and is generally a waste of money, especially when I can hit up craigslist and get a steelcase criterion for $135.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've had my big cheap padded office chair for a few months and it's comfortable, but I guess I'm wrong? Anyway, it's http://www.bestbuy.com/site/simply-...ather&cp=1&lp=1

That said, there are almost no adjustments (slight vertical adjustment, you can adjust the tension for the swivel mechanism, and that's it) and there are no armless models/modes available, so I dunno if I'd pay retail for it.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I've had my big cheap padded office chair for a few months and it's comfortable, but I guess I'm wrong? Anyway, it's http://www.bestbuy.com/site/simply-...ather&cp=1&lp=1

That said, there are almost no adjustments (slight vertical adjustment, you can adjust the tension for the swivel mechanism, and that's it) and there are no armless models/modes available, so I dunno if I'd pay retail for it.

You honestly have to sit in a Steelcase or Herman Miller for a whole day to get a comparison. The big cheap padded office chairs are perfectly comfortable, but they're not on the same level.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

evol262 posted:

You honestly have to sit in a Steelcase or Herman Miller for a whole day to get a comparison. The big cheap padded office chairs are perfectly comfortable, but they're not on the same level.

Oh absolutely, I'm not saying they're the same, but a cheap chair can certainly be adequate. As long as you can find one with decent foam and if you buy vinyl a nice sturdy layer so it doesn't flake up, that is - generic cheapo executive chairs are generally pretty terrible.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Cheap chairs can be just fine, I sit in a cheap chair all the time at home. I can feel that it's cheap though. I sit in a steelcase think all day at work and I can feel the difference. There are idiots at work who think they are lovely chairs because they aren't all padded and comfy with fake leather or whatever. They don't cause any back pain though. I sit in it for several hours at a time and I don't even get slightly uncomfortable.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I'm not surprised, all the True chairs I've tried are exceptionally comfy. I just had bad experiences with the seat on 2 of their chairs, so they're out of the running for me.
---
Been looking on craigslist, the only thing that looks intriguing near me is a guy with a bunch of Steelcase Sensors for $99. (I don't think steelcase makes them anymore.) Everything else worthwhile seems to be further than I want to drive. I discovered that there's one of those office liquidation places an hour away, I'll probably try there.

3spades
Mar 20, 2003

37! My girlfriend sucked 37 dicks!

Customer: In a row?

Taima posted:

Does anyone know the general price range for Embody repairs? I got mine used, so I don't think I can utilize the warranty. The lateral movement on the left arm doesn't lock into the set positions, it just floats. It must have been damaged in my last move.

When I had my embody repaired, they didn't ask me for anything other than the warranty info which is on a sticker on the underside of the chair. I called around for people who do embody repair in the area, arranged a date, and they came and fixed it. It was the exact same issue you had. The repair guy said it was a common issue. As long as its under warranty I don't think they'll give you the third degree on where/how you got it.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Steelcase is taking purchase orders for the Gesture. $979 for a 10 week estimate, $999 for 2-3 weeks.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Yip Yips posted:

Steelcase is taking purchase orders for the Gesture. $979 for a 10 week estimate, $999 for 2-3 weeks.

If I was in between buying a Leap 2 or the Gesture, which would you guys suggest?

Should I wait it out for some more reviews or what?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

rawillkill posted:

If I was in between buying a Leap 2 or the Gesture, which would you guys suggest?

Should I wait it out for some more reviews or what?

The Leap is a known quantity and the gesture is pretty new. Best to wait and hear some firsthand reports on that. If you're in need of a chair now, and it's between those two, get a Leap.

I'm going to be at the Las Vegas Ergo Expo in 2 weeks, and Steelcase, along with all the other major manufacturers, will be there. I'll make a point of trying out the Gesture extensively and report back.

Does anyone have any requests for chairs for me to try out there? Here's the list of exhibitors: http://www.ergoexpo.com/expo/list.html

Bobfromsales
Apr 2, 2010
Does anyone know of a place in LA, Ventura, or Orange county to sit down and try chairs mentioned in this thread? I went to a Relax the Back in Thousand Oaks but it was tiny store and they only had 4 task chairs and I was the only one there and the employee was just staring at me the whole time.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Picked up an Aeron today from a local bloke for $400. It's pretty drat nice.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/11/25/5142664/how-do-you-design-a-chair-for-the-ipad

Gesture mini-review

rawillkill fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 25, 2013

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Reads more like an advertising article to me. Except for that one paragraph where he sits in it for like a second.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Someone said that the Aeron was "ergonomically out of date", does that mean I should consider a Mirra?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Deviant posted:

Someone said that the Aeron was "ergonomically out of date", does that mean I should consider a Mirra?

I asked a Herman Miller rep for a demo of the Aeron and they advised me to get a Mirra instead, even though the Mirra was several hundred pounds cheaper and they work on commission. So yes, get a Mirra before an Aeron, all other things being equal. The Aeron isn't bad, it's just been outdeveloped.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm at the ergonomic expo right now and I just tried out the Steelcase Gesture. Speaking as someone who works for a competitor, I have to say its a REALLY nice chair. Very easy to adjust, adapts immediately to your posture, etc. I'd even say you should buy it over a Leap. Now the only questions are price point and what range of body types it fits.

I'm at the expo the rest of this week so post here if there's anything anyone would like me to look closer at or details you want. Although Herman Miller dropped out this year, so there's no Aerons, Mirras, or Embodys here for the first time in a long time.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do Humanscale have anything decent or is it all old designs that look boring and cost a fortune?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm at the ergonomic expo right now and I just tried out the Steelcase Gesture. Speaking as someone who works for a competitor, I have to say its a REALLY nice chair. Very easy to adjust, adapts immediately to your posture, etc. I'd even say you should buy it over a Leap. Now the only questions are price point and what range of body types it fits.
It looks like the price point for the Gesture is around $979 for the base versions.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Caged posted:

Do Humanscale have anything decent or is it all old designs that look boring and cost a fortune?

They're pushing the Smart this year. I tried it at Neocon in Chicago, it's a piece of crap with the same design flaws as the Freedom.

Also I just found some Mirras at Microsofts booth. Last year they had all Embodys. Guess Herman Miller has totally given up on it.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm at the expo the rest of this week so post here if there's anything anyone would like me to look closer at or details you want. Although Herman Miller dropped out this year, so there's no Aerons, Mirras, or Embodys here for the first time in a long time.

What's your general build, if you don't mind me asking?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

5'10, 200 lbs. I'm pretty much your average male build.

Yip Yips
Sep 25, 2007
yip-yip-yip-yip-yip
Cool, thanks. If you happen to spend more time with it and learn anything else I'd love to hear about it!

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Also I just found some Mirras at Microsofts booth. Last year they had all Embodys. Guess Herman Miller has totally given up on it.

Any idea why? I absolutely love the Embody and just recently directed my latest friend to get one a few weeks ago, so I'd be interested In knowing.

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Any acceptable chairs at the ~$200 or under price point? Something that's ergonomic even if it won't last for decades. The Ikea Marcus at $200 seems to get some recommendations. Or should I toss in another 50-100 bucks and hunt for a used higher-end chair?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Did you see if they had larger-sized Gestures? I'm saving up for a new chair (my used Leap's back tilt adjustment broke), but I'm 6'4" and 280 pounds, so the standard size typically doesn't have enough seat depth for me and the back is generally too short and narrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Hed posted:

Any idea why? I absolutely love the Embody and just recently directed my latest friend to get one a few weeks ago, so I'd be interested In knowing.

Too expensive. It's a great chair - maybe the best on the market - but no one is willing to pay more than $1000 per chair to fill an office.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Did you see if they had larger-sized Gestures? I'm saving up for a new chair (my used Leap's back tilt adjustment broke), but I'm 6'4" and 280 pounds, so the standard size typically doesn't have enough seat depth for me and the back is generally too short and narrow.

Not that I saw yet. Looked like one size so far. I expect to see more sizes as the line ages.