Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Wait, you got 400 bucks for your 7970? Time to list my poo poo when I get home. Still have 2 6970s and my 7970 to dump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Straker posted:

Yeah, litecoin miners bought like everything it seems. Oh well, I can wait, I'll be out of town for 10 days starting next monday.

ahem

My 7990 just sold for A THOUSAND loving DOLLARS, guess I should have set it a little higher. Too bad ebay fees eat $100, would have been nice to double my initial investment :v:

edit: actually it looks like litecoin mining is somewhat lucrative right now, my 7990 could be making ~$850/month after power costs etc. but it's probably going to suffer from massive difficulty increases with all this new attention, and then I can't play games and my card is going to be louder and hotter than it already is, and I don't imagine litecoin exchanges behaving for very long before they start getting prosecuted, stop letting customers take their money out etc. etc.
We might have been able to get a little more, but you never know when the bubble is going to pop, so I think we should just be happy with our profits and move on.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
My 5970s are currently at $202 and steadily getting more bidders. This is how you make money during the boom.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Wait why are these cards so desirable for mining??

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
decent hashrate/power used? a 7970 does something like 700Khash/sec for ~300W, of course they need to be plugged into a computer and the costs of the host computer also mean you need to use decently high-end cards, not just the cheapest poo poo possible.

If you're just asking "why are people doing this" then it's because litecoin just got a whole bunch of attention I guess and their price just quadrupled, and also that FPGA and ASIC mining won't be feasible for a long time if ever, compared to bitcoins which got all hosed to poo poo once you started needing specialized hardware to mine them.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

fletcher posted:

Wait why are these cards so desirable for mining??

More specifically, what is it about their architecture that makes them so much better than Nvidia's? And why the gently caress did I just buy a GTX 650?

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Reading the GBS bitcoin thread, I would be weary of selling a card to a miner. They would probably get the card, say it never arrived and file a dispute. :v:

Seriously, track and insure those packages.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
For the past year I've filmed myself tossing electronics into the box and handing it to the post office clerk. The ultimate protection against eBay chargebacks.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

For the past year I've filmed myself tossing electronics into the box and handing it to the post office clerk. The ultimate protection against eBay chargebacks.
Unless it's one continuous video, how do you prove you didn't video taping up the box, then removing the card then retaping the box?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I've been thinking about this for the past few hours too because yeah $1000 in one little box getting sent to some random internet person is a little scary, especially considering ebay and paypal conspire to gently caress over sellers as often as possible. I wasn't sure if it'd be unreasonable to walk up to the counter and do that, but I guess if other people do too then I won't feel as awkward about it. I was going to take a bunch of pictures but like JL says, it's tricky to prove you didn't just swap in a bunch of rocks at the last second; even if you can guarantee the person got the package, who says what was in it?

Anyway, as for replacing my 7990... is a pair of regular 290s for ~$800 totally crazy, is there any better way to spend the money (besides eating out or clothes or whatever, obviously)? I'm not really sure what to do, I feel like that money is/was already earmarked for GPU anyway. For all intents and purposes it's a free upgrade, but the 290X doesn't seem to offer ~$150 more performance, and after a 7990 I don't know if any single-GPU solution is really going to be adequate :v: and similarly, I don't see SLI 780s or whatever justifying their fuckoff huge price tag, and even if a single 780 Ti can overclock to sorta kinda come close to a crappy 7990, that still won't touch two 290s.

Straker fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Dec 5, 2013

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Straker posted:

I've been thinking about this for the past few hours too because yeah $1000 in one little box getting sent to some random internet person is a little scary, especially considering ebay and paypal conspire to gently caress over sellers as often as possible. I wasn't sure if it'd be unreasonable to walk up to the counter and do that, but I guess if other people do too then I won't feel as awkward about it. I was going to take a bunch of pictures but like JL says, it's tricky to prove you didn't just swap in a bunch of rocks at the last second; even if you can guarantee the person got the package, who says what was in it?

Anyway, as for replacing my 7990... is a pair of regular 290s for ~$800 totally crazy, is there any better way to spend the money (besides eating out or clothes or whatever, obviously)? I'm not really sure what to do, I feel like that money is/was already earmarked for GPU anyway. For all intents and purposes it's a free upgrade, but the 290X doesn't seem to offer ~$150 more performance, and after a 7990 I don't know if any single-GPU solution is really going to be adequate :v: and similarly, I don't see SLI 780s or whatever justifying their fuckoff huge price tag, and even if a single 780 Ti can overclock to sorta kinda come close to a crappy 7990, that still won't touch two 290s.

You can do what I did and get two 290s and then unlock them to 290x's* :v:

*I have no idea if you can still do this.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

El Scotch posted:

You can do what I did and get two 290s and then unlock them to 290x's* :v:

*I have no idea if you can still do this.
This whole situation is reminding me of unlocking the 2GB 6950s to 6970s.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
can't unlock anything made after production week 38 or something like that, so it's unlikely, and most 290s are out of stock anyway, only option right now is Asus and I don't think those are flashable at all :(

edit: mother gently caress, newegg just ran out of those too. loving miners!

I had one of the X800 Pros that unlocked to an XT, that was an even better trick. I don't feel too bad about missing out this time around since I'm flipping this 7990 so hard already and because the 290X seems pretty unimpressive for $150ish more :)

Straker fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 5, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Straker posted:

can't unlock anything made after production week 38 or something like that, so it's unlikely, and most 290s are out of stock anyway, only option right now is Asus and I don't think those are flashable at all :(

edit: mother gently caress, newegg just ran out of those too. loving miners!

I had one of the X800 Pros that unlocked to an XT, that was an even better trick. I don't feel too bad about missing out this time around since I'm flipping this 7990 so hard already and because the 290X seems pretty unimpressive for $150ish more :)
Seriously, miners are buying up pretty much all video cards at the moment. Good thing I'm looking to replace my sold 7970GE with a 270. Nobody wants to buy those :smug:

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Well that was weird, Newegg ran out of the Asus 290s, I reloaded once or twice and they had HIS cards in stock... not as big a name but I know they're good too, and they were the normal $400, not a few bucks more like the Asus cards. The HIS cards (albeit with BF4 keys) were one of the cards Overclockers UK was actually preflashing to 290Xes and selling at 290 prices too, so maybe these will even unlock, especially if they're part of an old batch and all the newer stuff went to the BF4 promo. Got two of them. What kind of PSU are you using and/or do you know how much power you're using from the wall, El Scotch? I'll probably need a new one... and now that I think of it, I'll probably have to take everything but my actual computer off this UPS too :( luckily I have others for other stuff.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My 7870 arrived today. I discovered something interesting while removing my old EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+: it had been installed in a PCI Express x4 slot instead of the x16 one next to it (which would have bumped into the hard drive).

By how much was I limiting the old card's performance by installing it in the wrong slot?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

atomicthumbs posted:

My 7870 arrived today. I discovered something interesting while removing my old EVGA Geforce 9800 GTX+: it had been installed in a PCI Express x4 slot instead of the x16 one next to it (which would have bumped into the hard drive).

By how much was I limiting the old card's performance by installing it in the wrong slot?

Doesn't look like there's much of a hit: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pci-express-2.0,1915-10.html

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Seriously, miners are buying up pretty much all video cards at the moment. Good thing I'm looking to replace my sold 7970GE with a 270. Nobody wants to buy those :smug:

Only AMD cards though, right?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Josh Lyman posted:

Are you sure a 270 is enough for 1440p? I know in the Parts Picking Thread you mentioned looking at the 270, 270X, and the 760, but the 270 and 270X are essentially re-branded 7850s (though fully enabled) and 7870s, while the 760 is a re-badged and slightly tuned GTX 670. For Civ 5 at 1440p, the 760 outperforms a 270 (essentially the 7870) by a good margin.

I would either check to see if there are still some deals to be had discount-wise, or maybe check with forum member Synthetik - I know he advertised some new-in-box 2GB 760s a month or so back for $175 each I think, so that'd be a huge steal if it he has more available now (he had mentioned more were incoming in his original sale post).

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SourKraut posted:

Are you sure a 270 is enough for 1440p? I know in the Parts Picking Thread you mentioned looking at the 270, 270X, and the 760, but the 270 and 270X are essentially re-branded 7850s (though fully enabled) and 7870s, while the 760 is a re-badged and slightly tuned GTX 670. For Civ 5 at 1440p, the 760 outperforms a 270 (essentially the 7870) by a good margin.

I would either check to see if there are still some deals to be had discount-wise, or maybe check with forum member Synthetik - I know he advertised some new-in-box 2GB 760s a month or so back for $175 each I think, so that'd be a huge steal if it he has more available now (he had mentioned more were incoming in his original sale post).
It's definitely a borderline case, but even if I drop down to 40 fps occasionally, I don't play anything too seriously so it's unlikely to impact my experience. Hell, I was doing 1440p with my 1GB 560Ti until 2 weeks ago, though to be fair, the most I threw at it was Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I would like to go for a 760, and in the grand scheme of things, it's probably worth the extra $55 over a 270, and I'll have until the morning to mull it over.

According to Slickdeals at 3:30am this morning, there was a Powercolor 7950 on Newegg for $150 after $30 rebate but the miners cleared it out within 15 minutes of the post. The question is whether I want to wait for everything to come back in stock after this wave of miner buying, or whether I want to get something now that's bundled with a game in the hopes of selling that to offset the cost.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 5, 2013

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Looks like they've started to figure out that 280x is the same card as the 7970GHz but with a few easily-corrected differences (from the perspective of a coin miner). I look forward to the mass influx of nVidia owners as coin miners will absolutely keep stock cleared on AMD's side of things perpetually until this bubble dies down. Welcome to team green by default, y'all! Feel free to ask questions about neat features and why nVidia cards are pretty cool, I'll do my best to make you feel welcome. We're a welcoming bunch, y'know.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

Straker posted:

Yeah, litecoin miners bought like everything it seems. Oh well, I can wait, I'll be out of town for 10 days starting next monday.

ahem

My 7990 just sold for A THOUSAND loving DOLLARS, guess I should have set it a little higher. Too bad ebay fees eat $100, would have been nice to double my initial investment :v:

edit: actually it looks like litecoin mining is somewhat lucrative right now, my 7990 could be making ~$850/month after power costs etc. but it's probably going to suffer from massive difficulty increases with all this new attention, and then I can't play games and my card is going to be louder and hotter than it already is, and I don't imagine litecoin exchanges behaving for very long before they start getting prosecuted, stop letting customers take their money out etc. etc.

Hah, you're a modern day pick axe salesman.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Litecoin miners are going absolutely apeshit.

Supposedly that guy is bringing in upwards of $20K a month and has been for at least a few months, for as long as the boom lasts anyways. With that sort of income he'll have made his money back in 1-2 months easy.

The AMD cards are better for mining than the nvidia cards due to better DP compute performance. The cards based on older 79xx GPU's have better bang for the buck than the new R9 290/X's because AMD gimped DP performance with their new GPU's this time around*. Or at least they did until miners pumped the prices of the cards up into the $300-400 range for a card that would normally sell for $250 or so.

*Which is irritating. Hawaii could've been a real DP monster if they hadn't done that. I don't care too much about mining but I do like to participate in distributed computing projects like Milkway. As things are now a R9 290X is only about as good at DP compute as a 7970GE.

edit: wouldn't be so sure about that. Their inherent advantage at DP compute work loads means that 79xx cards may end up being kept and used on other mining projects for a long time.\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Agreed posted:

Looks like they've started to figure out that 280x is the same card as the 7970GHz but with a few easily-corrected differences (from the perspective of a coin miner). I look forward to the mass influx of nVidia owners as coin miners will absolutely keep stock cleared on AMD's side of things perpetually until this bubble dies down. Welcome to team green by default, y'all! Feel free to ask questions about neat features and why nVidia cards are pretty cool, I'll do my best to make you feel welcome. We're a welcoming bunch, y'know.

And when the bubble bursts there will be a flood of cheap 7970/7990/280x cards on the market. I can't wait!

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Really stupid question; could the coin miners have a big enough impact that GPU architecture changes to accommodate?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Purgatory Glory posted:

Really stupid question; could the coin miners have a big enough impact that GPU architecture changes to accommodate?

No. Anyway there are products for people who care about compute. They are just way more expensive.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
If they really care about DP compute stuff, why aren't they buying Teslas or something?

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Litecoin miners are going absolutely apeshit.

Is this guy actually mining coins or is he buying the cards on the cheap and then reselling them to batshit insane coin miners?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Byolante posted:

If they really care about DP compute stuff, why aren't they buying Teslas or something?

Some do, but Teslas have a big markup. A Titan is much better for DP price/performance.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Byolante posted:

you only buy Teslas if you care about multi-year reliability, service, ECC, things like that. by the time most of these consumer cards break, a slightly newer/faster chip will be out, and upgrading will pay for itself (assuming a boom).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Josh Lyman posted:

Unless it's one continuous video, how do you prove you didn't video taping up the box, then removing the card then retaping the box?

It's one continuous video! I did think of that.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Byolante posted:

Because they have lovely bang for the buck vs. "cheap" 79xx cards. Tesla/Firestream only makes sense for serious HPC work where the buyer is willing to shell out extra cash for more reliability because stuff has to work or else they end up losing huge amounts of cash in down time or re-running things to check for errors.

spasticColon posted:

Is this guy actually mining coins or is he buying the cards on the cheap and then reselling them to batshit insane coin miners?
He is mining them. That pic is supposedly from April.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I don't know about you guys but I automatically read DP as double penetration which makes stuff like the above discussion really great. Best card for double penetration, that card is a double penetration monster, blah blah blah

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Straker posted:

I don't know about you guys but I automatically read DP as double penetration which makes stuff like the above discussion really great. Best card for double penetration, that card is a double penetration monster, blah blah blah

Don't call it Titan for nothing. What else would let it hang in there at $999? Let's be real here man.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
EVGA GTX Titan Peter North Edition

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You need the biggest gear in your rig when you're mining for butt coins.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This chart claims that R9 280x's are just as good as 7970's for litecoin mining.

If I'm to believe this calculator, an R9 280x does roughly 10 litecoins per month, which are "worth" $35 each, so that's $350/month. At load, the Asus 280x draws 350W from a typical system, so for a typical cost of $0.20 /kwH, it's $8.40/day or about $250/month, or $100 profit.

Unless the litecoin price keeps going up and the bubble inflates for another month or two, this whole exercise seems even stupider than at first glance. You have to believe that this nonsense will go on for another 2-3 months without even factoring the cost of all of the other hardware if you're buying computers just to mine, or paying a $200 premium for cards makes no sense at all. If you're a sane person and just want to do it with an existing rig when you're not gaming, ehhh.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I have to imagine there's people in a position like mine where they're an IT person at a huge company and could get away with mining on dozens of workstations without a soul noticing the difference in the electric bill. I wouldn't dare, but it's tempting.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

I have to imagine there's people in a position like mine where they're an IT person at a huge company and could get away with mining on dozens of workstations without a soul noticing the difference in the electric bill. I wouldn't dare, but it's tempting.

I seem to recall some firings related to just this back when it was like $30/bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Agreed posted:

I seem to recall some firings related to just this back when it was like $30/bitcoin.

There was also a hilarious situation where a piracy scene group hid a bitcoin mining client in the crack for a big new release