Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter."
My first blood glucose test came back high. The three-hour test is scheduled for Monday morning. Of course I'd find out the day before Thanksgiving. No carbs, no sugars. No stuffing, potatoes, dinner rolls. No pies, cookies, cakes. At least turkey and salad are still on the okay list!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So I bought myself these test strips because I've heard they're really good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004AOMAOG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took a test this morning, I'm guessing it would be within the range of 8 dpo to 11 dpo. I'm very irregular so I'm not really sure. Anyways, anyone familiar with these tests able to tell me whether or not they get an evaporation line? It's either an extremely faint positive or its an evap line.

I don't know if this really works, but I took another test and dunked it in water, just to see if an evap line would show up. Nothing did. But again, not sure if that really works the same as pee would?

Thanks for any advice! We definitely wanted to start trying soon-ish, but didn't expect it to happen the loving first month I decide to not care about birth control. Jesus christ.

edit: should I maybe post this in the trying to conceive thread? Didn't even think before I posted.

Goobish fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Nov 27, 2013

cailleask
May 6, 2007

Goobish: some batches of those tests do give terrible evap lines. But they also detect positives crazy early too. Best thing to do is just keep testing the same time every day. I ended up buying a FRER after a bunch of days of 'maybe' positives, just to confirm without a doubt.

Isabelle Caramel
Jun 23, 2008

jota23 posted:

My first blood glucose test came back high. The three-hour test is scheduled for Monday morning. Of course I'd find out the day before Thanksgiving. No carbs, no sugars. No stuffing, potatoes, dinner rolls. No pies, cookies, cakes. At least turkey and salad are still on the okay list!

Did they tell you to go ahead and start eating like you were on a diabetic diet? I had to have my three hour test last week and the only instructions they gave me were to fast the night before. I wouldn't worry too much about splurging a little on Thanksgiving.

Oh, and if you haven't had a three hour test before, I felt fine after the test until I decided to eat something (steamed rice and veggies) and I couldn't stop throwing up for the rest of the day. Just a heads up to take it easy in case it has the same effect. Good luck, by the way!

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Goobish posted:

I don't know if this really works, but I took another test and dunked it in water, just to see if an evap line would show up. Nothing did. But again, not sure if that really works the same as pee would?

Thanks for any advice! We definitely wanted to start trying soon-ish, but didn't expect it to happen the loving first month I decide to not care about birth control. Jesus christ.

edit: should I maybe post this in the trying to conceive thread? Didn't even think before I posted.

You should be able to get a positive with first morning urine on a First Response Early Result, so I would grab one of those to confirm. The internet cheapies drove me nuts this time around because they were always super faint, but I got very reliable results with the FRER.

For my first, I built some "getting used to the idea" time into when we were trying, since I assumed that it would take a while. Promptly got a baby on the first try... "Jesus Christ" is a pretty good explanation of how I felt at the time!

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."

Isabelle Caramel posted:

Did they tell you to go ahead and start eating like you were on a diabetic diet? I had to have my three hour test last week and the only instructions they gave me were to fast the night before. I wouldn't worry too much about splurging a little on Thanksgiving.

They didn't give me any further instructions. My blood glucose number was 159 so not crazy high or anything. I just think that if it's high in the first place, then I should at least not fill my plate with known carb killers.

To be honest, I'm not all that worried about tomorrow. I have a plan. I'm worried about what to eat for lunch today!

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

Goobish, I would wait until tomorrow and take a first response test. I took a ton of the Wondfo tests both during my pregnancy and during my miscarriage thigh and never had a single one give a false positive. They can detect crazy small amounts of hCG. Less than the first response tests even. This can lead to false positives in perimenopausal women, but in younger women the results should be accurate.

jota: I wouldn't cut carbs right now unless they told you too. It could actually screw up your results on the 3 hour test if you aren't getting carbs in the days preceding it.

In fact, you are actually supposed to carb load for 3 days before it.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Thanks for the advice goons. Stealthily told my mother over the phone and made her swear herself to secrecy. He was pretty agreeable when I explained that it kinda seemed like my sister wanted a bit more time being the absolute center of attention, and that I was totally willing to give her that, but unwilling to have zero support outside of my sister.

Another reason I was hesitant to mention it to my sister was that I'm also hormonal and pregnant and mildly irrational, and it could totally be my imagination (even though my mom thinks I'm probably right, haha).

Agreeing with Ceridwen--first response is a blessing and a curse. On one hand, every experience I've ever had with them has been very accurate, very early. On the other, I probably wouldn't have even known I was having a miscarriage back in August if not for them--two days later and I would have just thought I was having a slightly late period and could have saved myself a lot of grief and visits to the doctors's office and hospital.

In other news, looks like morning sickness has set in, and oh Christ how did I forget how miserable this is? Just put me out of my misery. :(

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

Hi thread. So I'm almost 37 weeks and found out I'm GBS+. I'm also allergic to penicillin-based antibiotics (something I discovered the hard way earlier in this pregnancy). I know there are effective alternative meds and I fully plan to get the iv during labor but now I'm stressing a bit about the whole thing. Especially after reading that story about the guy losing his infant son to GBS infection within a few hours of birth.

I guess it's just extra worrisome since other than that everything has gone smoothly so far. :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We got to take Daniel home last night "on leave", man I realize we've had it easy as parents so far, sure the days have been long and hard but we got to go home and sleep the whole night at least. It's not really the same with a baby waking in the middle of the night to be fed and changed. And I'm outta coffee.

(this is me)

They're also now the equivalent of 40 weeks and thus no longer prematures, so I guess we should move to the parenting megathread in the future.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

His Divine Shadow posted:

We got to take Daniel home last night "on leave", man I realize we've had it easy as parents so far, sure the days have been long and hard but we got to go home and sleep the whole night at least. It's not really the same with a baby waking in the middle of the night to be fed and changed. And I'm outta coffee.

(this is me)

They're also now the equivalent of 40 weeks and thus no longer prematures, so I guess we should move to the parenting megathread in the future.

Aww, congratulations on getting to bring Daniel home! Stick around here until they're 3 months old, adjusted to their due date. :)

Molly Bloom
Nov 9, 2006

Yes.

jota23 posted:

They didn't give me any further instructions. My blood glucose number was 159 so not crazy high or anything. I just think that if it's high in the first place, then I should at least not fill my plate with known carb killers.

To be honest, I'm not all that worried about tomorrow. I have a plan. I'm worried about what to eat for lunch today!

It'll be cool- I got through mine completely diet-controlled . You'll find out what things do and don't do bad things to your blood sugar pretty quickly. They don't give Metformin here, so the choice was diet or insulin. I may still be diabetic, though, thanks to crappy genes- I get my follow-up in January with another glucose test.

That said, she's pretty awesome. And a great sleeper (for now).

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Extinct posted:

Hi thread. So I'm almost 37 weeks and found out I'm GBS+. I'm also allergic to penicillin-based antibiotics (something I discovered the hard way earlier in this pregnancy). I know there are effective alternative meds and I fully plan to get the iv during labor but now I'm stressing a bit about the whole thing. Especially after reading that story about the guy losing his infant son to GBS infection within a few hours of birth.

I guess it's just extra worrisome since other than that everything has gone smoothly so far. :(

I have a penicillin allergy too & they just gave me a different antibiotic once I got to the hospital. My IV finished minutes before I was ready to start pushing & everything turned out just fine. So don't worry! There are plenty of other meds they can give you.

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

Extinct posted:

Depending on the severity of your allergy, they may be able to give you a drug that is related to penicillin called cefazolin. Very few people allergic to penicillin have an allergy to cefazolin and other cephalosporins.

Since you're allergic to penicillin they probably did testing to see to which antibiotics the GBS you have is susceptible in case they can't use cefazolin. If it is susceptible to clindamycin, that's what they'll use, and if not they can use vancomycin.

Extinct
Jun 4, 2009

GoreJess posted:

I have a penicillin allergy too & they just gave me a different antibiotic once I got to the hospital. My IV finished minutes before I was ready to start pushing & everything turned out just fine. So don't worry! There are plenty of other meds they can give you.

That's good to hear. I think in the back of my mind I'm worried I'll be one of those super unlucky people who ends up being allergic to everything they have or something, as unlikely as that is.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I think this is the second time I've posted in this thread because of an evap line! It's weird, maybe the person who said sometimes they come with more dye is right, because it doesn't even look like it's in the correct spot for the line. Anyway, took two new tests this morning and they were undoubtedly negative. Maybe for the future I should move my freakouts to the getting knocked up thread!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Walked about 4 miles downtown in Chicago today - at 37 weeks I am pretty drat impressed with myself (and really sore in the hips). Definitely took over the family bathroom so I wouldn't wait in line for the regular bathroom at Water Tower Place.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Belated congratulations on bringing him home...I've been silently rooting for him and his brother :)

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Alterian posted:

I have a FP one with an external and I never use it. The wipes just dry out and the container opens.

That kept happening to us - now instead of putting wipes into the provided container, we just use the regular baby wipes packets when they get used up enough to fit in there. We get the Costco brand baby wipes if that helps anyone.

the popular kids
Dec 27, 2010

Time for some thrilling heroics.
I'm quite thrilled to be able to join this thread. :) Just had a 12 week ultrasound to hear the babies heartbeat. This was extremely unplanned but my boyfriend is excited as heck so all is well. When I was about 7 weeks is when the nausea hit and I literally could not keep anything down. No foods no liquids. It was horrific. I found a doctor who prescribed me Diclectin (sp) and it was literally night and day.I havn't thrown up since and I was actually able to eat small portions of food and I'm still learning not to eat so much in one meal but snack constantly.

At the ultrasound the doctor was a bit worried because I had actually lost weight from my own personal figurings. But I think it's because of stress of moving at the same time we found I was pregnant, the pregnancy, and the fact I've been eating nothing but fruit and salads since the medication (as opposed to soda and chips.)

Reading this thread has helped a lot because I wasn't thrilled when I first found out and I constantly feel like poo poo now from either eating too much, too little, or just being plain tired, but reading everybodies experiences has made me feel a lot better. And the support from the other half has been overwhelming. :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Fionnoula posted:

Aww, congratulations on getting to bring Daniel home! Stick around here until they're 3 months old, adjusted to their due date. :)

Greycious posted:

Belated congratulations on bringing him home...I've been silently rooting for him and his brother :)

Thanks, David's going down to Helsinki tomorrow morning and on Tuesday he's scheduled for surgery, we're going to have to scramble to get ready and take the car down after him.

The cat seems to like him, though she doesn't like that we're now closing the door to the bedroom at night (she's used to sleeping at our feet), we don't want her sleeping on top of him or something:

Tourette Meltdown
Sep 11, 2001

Most people with Tourette Syndrome are able to hold jobs and lead full lives. But not you.

Thanks, David's going down to Helsinki tomorrow morning and on Tuesday he's scheduled for surgery, we're going to have to scramble to get ready and take the car down after him.

The cat seems to like him, though she doesn't like that we're now closing the door to the bedroom at night (she's used to sleeping at our feet), we don't want her sleeping on top of him or something:

This is precious! Our cats don't care one way or the other about Leon. That's probably a blessing, one of them is twice his size even now!

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Oh my, the cuteness of that picture :3:. We were all worried about our cat when we brought our baby home, but she was just super curious about him and wanted to be near him. Best of luck with David's surgery. Hope he can come home and join his bro soon.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

You know I just realized we must be pretty spoiled compared to most parents. Like my fiancé sometimes gets visits from a county nurse from what we call "hemvården" or "home care" when I am at work that helps out at home, she's done all kinds of things like watch the baby so she could take a shower, she even cleaned up and washed the dishes and fed the baby and just hung out.

David should be in the ambulance right now going all the way down to helsinki, a 400km+ trip.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

You know I just realized we must be pretty spoiled compared to most parents. Like my fiancé sometimes gets visits from a county nurse from what we call "hemvården" or "home care" when I am at work that helps out at home, she's done all kinds of things like watch the baby so she could take a shower, she even cleaned up and washed the dishes and fed the baby and just hung out.

David should be in the ambulance right now going all the way down to helsinki, a 400km+ trip.

There's a reason Finland is the best country in the world to be a mom. You've got a lot of services that women in America can't even imagine.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Could anyone recommend a good brand for maternity bras/clothes? Non-bank-breaking if possible. My wife is being stubbornly cheap (despite this being the first of hopefully more than one pregnancy in our marriage) so I want to get her something she can be comfortable in. :)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Yestermoment posted:

Could anyone recommend a good brand for maternity bras/clothes? Non-bank-breaking if possible. My wife is being stubbornly cheap (despite this being the first of hopefully more than one pregnancy in our marriage) so I want to get her something she can be comfortable in. :)

Bras: Bravado or Hot Milk.
Clothes that aren't bank-breaking: Old Navy (not all stores have a maternity section, so if you want to buy in person, make sure you check the website for which ones carry maternity in store).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got some decent looking maternity clothes from Target.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I've been buying quite a bit of really nice quality clothing from Gap as they have sales (they had 40% off recently and I'm sure that will happen again with the holidays).

jota23
Nov 18, 2010

"I don't think..."
Motherhood.com is where I got most of mine. They have a 30% off your entire purchase sale today only.

Edit: They always have discounted clothes, and constantly have one sale or another. Sign up for the emails and they'll keep you posted regarding each sale. Seeing 20% off your entire purchase is relatively common, but this 30% is a bit more than I've seen before.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I got most of my maternity clothes from eBay.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007
Asos.com has some really cute, decently-priced stuff too.

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010

Yestermoment posted:

I got some cute clothes from Old Navy which were affordable. Kohls is a good cheap place to shop too, but I only really like the comfy clothes like yoga pants and pajamas from there. I also bought stuff from Motherhood Maternity, but they were a little more expensive.

An Cat Dubh
Jun 17, 2005
Save the drama for your llama
Seconding the Bravado suggestion for bras. Their nursing bras are super comfy, especially for larger chests. Depending on how big her tummy is she could also get away with non-maternity clothes, like tunic shirts or stretchy pyjama-like pants for at least around the house. I never brought a piece of maternity clothing, but a lot of that was due to losing a ton of weight in the first trimester due to morning sickness, so all my normal clothes were really loose.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
So during my appointment yesterday my OB mentioned contacting the hospital to work on scheduling my c-section. He mentioned a couple days we could do it and I'm freaking out now. It's so weird saying "ok, this is the day we're having a baby". This is nuts!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
38 weeks yesterday, and kiddo dropped officially yesterday. It's really nice to stand up and sit down and not feel his head rearranging on my bladder and assorted organs. Dr didn't check anything so I won't find out if I'm truly dilated or such until next week, which is fine with me. Room is mostly done, we have a properly installed car seat and diapers/wipes for the first month. Wish I was able to take more than 8 weeks off, but oh well. I guess I'm ready, whatever that really means.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Alrighty. Is there any reason why a respiratory therapist would need to be present during labor? I ask, because my neighbor (who is also friends with me and my husband) is an RT at the hospital where we plan to deliver. He keeps talking about being in the room during labor and after and I am very uncomfortable about this and do not want him in there at all. He does not need to be present and I don't care if he works there, he won't be assisting with any of my care if I can help it. Please tell me that there isn't a need at all for an RT to be there, so I can feel more calm about this. He likes to bring it up when he's drinking with my husband and I am not cool with it at all.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Anya posted:

Alrighty. Is there any reason why a respiratory therapist would need to be present during labor? I ask, because my neighbor (who is also friends with me and my husband) is an RT at the hospital where we plan to deliver. He keeps talking about being in the room during labor and after and I am very uncomfortable about this and do not want him in there at all. He does not need to be present and I don't care if he works there, he won't be assisting with any of my care if I can help it. Please tell me that there isn't a need at all for an RT to be there, so I can feel more calm about this. He likes to bring it up when he's drinking with my husband and I am not cool with it at all.

Without knowing the specifics of your pregnancy I will say no there is generally not a need for an rt for delivery. Wtf? Just tell your doc/nurses that no one outside of OB staff is allowed in. Chances are he's not going to know when you are in labor anyway unless he's constantly watching your house and waiting for you to drive to the hospital.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Your friend sounds like a creep. I would be shutting down this weird idea he has that it's cool for him to invade your personal space during what will likely be one of the most private, intimate experiences of your entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
Yeah, I have had issues with him for awhile and it's about time for me to have a chat with my husband about them. He thinks because he might be at work when we go in for labor that it will be fine for him to hang out. Wrong-o buddy. We were at a birthday party for a friend last night and he brought it up again and I said NO you will not be there. He's convinced he would need to be there for teaching breathing techniques during delivery. Stay back at your own place with your wife and stop being creepy.