Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Wojtek posted:

A different and obviously different guy playing Sin Cara every week would be pretty amusing.
El Torito deserves a shot.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
Who/what the hell was Carlito? I wasn't really watching when he was around. What was his gimmick? Did he get over? Was he good in the ring? Did the IWC like him?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Who/what the hell was Carlito? I wasn't really watching when he was around. What was his gimmick? Did he get over? Was he good in the ring? Did the IWC like him?

most importantly, was he cool?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Who/what the hell was Carlito? I wasn't really watching when he was around.
He was cool and he spits in the face of people who don't want to be cool.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Carlito was really good when he cared.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Frankenstein Dad posted:

He's the son of a well known Puerto Rican promoter/wrestler called Carlos Colon, and the brother of one of the current El Matadores (Primo, who with Carlito were former tag team champions). His gimmick was that he "spat in the face of people who don't want to be cool", bringing an apple to the ring, taking a bite out of it and spitting it into the face of his opponents/rivals. He shifted between being quite interesting and compelling when he was motivated and utterly boring when he wasn't. Perhaps the most memorable thing he was ever involved in was when Ric Flair chewed him out on a show for being lazy and unmotivated, and he delivered a rebuttal the following week that was entirely in Spanish.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Vince once told him to "spic it up".

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Great White Hope posted:

Carlito was really good when he cared.

This was his gimmick, convincing people he was really good when he cared when in reality he was always pretty bad.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Who was it that Johnny Ace fired when he coined the phrase "we wish him well in his future endeavors"? And was that the first time the term was used?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Memento posted:

Who was it that Johnny Ace fired when he coined the phrase "we wish him well in his future endeavors"? And was that the first time the term was used?

The phrase has been around forever. It's seen as a professional/polite way of announcing the termination of a contract with an individual/individuals.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

When people say that Carlito's gimmick was that he is cool and spits in the face of people that don't want to be cool, they are not kidding, other than that he wasn't actually cool. This was his entire schtick for years on end and his entrance music tells you what is going to happen when he appears.

He was awful. His career highlight was being booked to have a purposefully boring finish (with fellow boring early 90's gimmick Chris Masters) with John Cena in an elimination chamber, so Edge could blow the roof off the place. That is still the worst chamber match, D2D has nothing on it.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

When people say that Carlito's gimmick was that he is cool and spits in the face of people that don't want to be cool, they are not kidding, other than that he wasn't actually cool. This was his entire schtick for years on end and his entrance music tells you what is going to happen when he appears.

He was awful. His career highlight was being booked to have a purposefully boring finish (with fellow boring early 90's gimmick Chris Masters) with John Cena in an elimination chamber, so Edge could blow the roof off the place. That is still the worst chamber match, D2D has nothing on it.

i dunno 2013's was really bad.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Also letting Cena interview himself on Carlito's Cabana

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lXZ529cZXg

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

his entire schtick for years on end and his entrance music tells you what is going to happen when he appears.

Oh God I forgot. Yeah, his music was also incredibly short so it looped really drat easily if it played for even slightly longer than normal.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
I'm guessing people wouldn't answer "Carlito," then, for the question I'm going to ask.

Who would PSP'ers consider to be the big missed opportunities - in terms of talent rather than bad gimmicks or angles- of the last ten years or so?

Who's gone now that shouldn't be, or who's in a smaller role than they might have been because of one thing or another?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Minus1Minus1 posted:

I'm guessing people wouldn't answer "Carlito," then, for the question I'm going to ask.

Who would PSP'ers consider to be the big missed opportunities - in terms of talent rather than bad gimmicks or angles- of the last ten years or so?

Who's gone now that shouldn't be, or who's in a smaller role than they might have been because of one thing or another?

Cody Rhodes could have been a WAY bigger deal than he is now if WWE actually followed through.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Memento posted:

On TV, I'm pretty sure it was John Morrison. He lost a match and/or got kayfabe injured and while everyone was seeing to him on the ramp, Johnny was seen there shaking his head. Then the next week he announced with a thumbs up and a smile that he wishes Morrison well on his future endeavors.

Frankenstein Dad posted:

He was a bratty Razor Ramon with a fro. He'd do the whole apple spit thing instead of the toothpick flick, which was pretty dumb after the first or second time. Like, anyone can get hit in the face with a flicked toothpick. To have Carlito spit apple into your face, you'd have to stand there and wait for him to bite into the apple, chew it and then spit.

I'm trying to remember anything memorable about him and only a few things come to mind:

- He made his wrestling debut beating Cena for the US title.
- He was once prepared to spit apple in Batista's face until Batista warned him that he'd literally sodomize him with a flag pole.
- He and Hornswoggle once did that Roadrunner gag of spraying a black hole onto the wall that only Hornswoggle could run through.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Gavok posted:

- He was once prepared to spit apple in Batista's face until Batista warned him that he'd literally sodomize him with a flag pole.

With good reason. Acting or not, there are fewer things I'd like less than a face full of apple debris.
Triple H's water spray being up there too.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Gavok posted:

Well, I guess we finally have an answer to that question....

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

A lot is made of Carlito becoming lazy, but from what I remember that came after WWE stopped doing anything with him. So he got pissy about that, so they went "We'll show you, we're *really* not doing anything with you now!", so he got even lazier, so WWE got pissier until he was gone. Basically he was Ziggler, if Ziggler decided to phone it in rather than verbally complain.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Gavok posted:

On TV, I'm pretty sure it was John Morrison. He lost a match and/or got kayfabe injured and while everyone was seeing to him on the ramp, Johnny was seen there shaking his head. Then the next week he announced with a thumbs up and a smile that he wishes Morrison well on his future endeavors.

He was a bratty Razor Ramon with a fro. He'd do the whole apple spit thing instead of the toothpick flick, which was pretty dumb after the first or second time. Like, anyone can get hit in the face with a flicked toothpick. To have Carlito spit apple into your face, you'd have to stand there and wait for him to bite into the apple, chew it and then spit.

I'm trying to remember anything memorable about him and only a few things come to mind:

- He made his wrestling debut beating Cena for the US title.
- He and Hornswoggle once did that Roadrunner gag of spraying a black hole onto the wall that only Hornswoggle could run through.

- he also won the IC title his first night on raw
- he had a muscle named Jesus who stabbed Cena outside a club
- Orton once said he's "just an apple, a haircut, and a catchphrase"

He once complained in an interview about his match with Flair getting bumped off Wrestlemania for the divas lingerie pillow fight, which is actually understandable, though obviously unwise.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Minus1Minus1 posted:

Eddie Guerrero should have been the biggest face in the world before his death, but they kept turning him and stop-starting pushes (imagine that). That's probably the obvious one for the last ten years, though I did miss a lot of viewing time between 2005-2013 so I'm sure I'm missing someone.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God I forgot. Yeah, his music was also incredibly short so it looped really drat easily if it played for even slightly longer than normal.

I wasn't watching wrasslin' during Carlito's WWE run so imagine my horror when I pop in the CM Punk disc for the matches, and he shows up in the Wrestlemania Money in the Bank match and his music loops like six times and I'm scrambling for an ice pick to make sure I never hear that thing again. Ugh.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

Chwyldro Dawnsio Dawns

Frankenstein Dad posted:

The only Carlito anlges I can remember are the awesome Elimination Chamber, and the time he hired somebody to stab John Cena. The announcers didn't present it as "John Cena was attacked by some heinous individuals" or anything like that - they just straight up kept talking about how John Cena was stabbed in a nightclub, and it was obviously Carlito's fault.

Then Carlito introduced the dude he'd paid to stab John Cena and had him do run-ins every week on RAW. For some reason, he was called Jesus.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
I remember thinking Carlito's character was really racist. I wasn't sure what race, exactly, but I'm sure somebody somewhere was being demeaned as a Hawaiian shirt wearing kinky haired funny talking apple spitter.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember thinking Carlito's character was really racist. I wasn't sure what race, exactly, but I'm sure somebody somewhere was being demeaned as a Hawaiian shirt wearing kinky haired funny talking apple spitter.

As Vince McMahon himself pointed out, it was racist towards Latinos.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Jerusalem posted:

He's the son of a well known Puerto Rican promoter/wrestler called Carlos Colon,

Tyma posted:

The only Carlito anlges I can remember are the awesome Elimination Chamber, and the time he hired somebody to stab John Cena. The announcers didn't present it as "John Cena was attacked by some heinous individuals" or anything like that - they just straight up kept talking about how John Cena was stabbed in a nightclub, and it was obviously Carlito's fault.
Goddamn, my head is spinning. Was this a tasteless nod to Bruiser Brody's death or a tasteless nod to Rikidozan's death?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

who doesn't want to be cool???

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember Flair dragged a really good match out of Carlito on RAW at one point.

I also remember Carlito and (I think) Shelton Benjamin stinking up the joint on RAW.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Didn't his finisher injure himself and it caused for him to start using pills?

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Carlito is so cool he got to hang out with Matt Morgan and Torrie Wilson.

Carlito is so cool he once lost a match against HHH where he couldn't get disqualified but HHH could.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What were the most underwhelming surprise returns, where either people had no idea who the person was, didn't remember them, or just plain didn't care, not counting Royal Rumble surprises?

Conversely, what were the most underwhelming surprised Royal Rumble returns? Have there been any where people didn't flip out?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wojtek posted:

A different and obviously different guy playing Sin Cara every week would be pretty amusing.
This is literally the same angle they were doing with Owen when he died, so I very much doubt they'll ever do it again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso

Suben posted:

So in light of the Sin Cara deal, are there any instances of replacing a guy in a gimmick like that and having it work or having the guy actually go on to bigger success using that gimmick over the original?
The first Tiger Mask held two belts, but Misawa and Yamazaki both played the gimmick longer and arguably did more with it.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Remember that time Carlito busted out a double springboard senton on a random Raw and there had never been any sign he could do anything like that before? Good times.

Perigryn posted:

Well, I guess we finally have an answer to that question....

Laughed so hard I scared my cat.

Edit: also, no one has mentioned Carlito's full name, Carlito Caribbean Cool. Possibly the most ridiculous wrestling name ever.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Halloween Jack posted:

The first Tiger Mask held two belts, but Misawa and Yamazaki both played the gimmick longer and arguably did more with it.

Misawa only truly surpassed Tiger Mask I after unmasking so I wouldn't count it. Yamazaki isn't even in the running.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Kanemoto did well with the gimmick.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

sk posted:

Survey derail/update: I've been super busy with work, and I haven't had much free time to put toward the wrestling survey. I still plan to get to it, but if anyone wants to take a look at the data before "eventually" I'd be happy to turn it over. Sorry to everyone who's been looking forward to the results.

I wouldn't sweat it. In fact, post the link again so more folks can fill it out. Get to it when you get to it. It's not really time sensitive.

Jerusalem posted:

He's the son of a well known Puerto Rican promoter/wrestler called Carlos Colon, and the brother of one of the current El Matadores (Primo, who with Carlito were former tag team champions). His gimmick was that he "spat in the face of people who don't want to be cool", bringing an apple to the ring, taking a bite out of it and spitting it into the face of his opponents/rivals. He shifted between being quite interesting and compelling when he was motivated and utterly boring when he wasn't. Perhaps the most memorable thing he was ever involved in was when Ric Flair chewed him out on a show for being lazy and unmotivated, and he delivered a rebuttal the following week that was entirely in Spanish.

At the 1993 Royal Rumble, Carlos Colon was a "surprise" entrant. Gorilla Monsoon referred to him as a youngster. He was 44 at the time, and had been wrestling for over 25 years - he was very big in Puerto Rico. I've assumed that comment was a rib on him.

Joeslop posted:

What were the most underwhelming surprise returns, where either people had no idea who the person was, didn't remember them, or just plain didn't care, not counting Royal Rumble surprises?

Conversely, what were the most underwhelming surprised Royal Rumble returns? Have there been any where people didn't flip out?

The 1996 Royal Rumble is a good example of this. The WWF was short on talent at the time, so they had some guys fill in from Japan (Takao Omori), some guys from the south (Doug Gilbert), and some other guys who were big elsewhere, but unknown in the WWF (The Headhunters, called The Squat Team in WWF). None of them got any sort of reaction whatsoever, although the crowd was impressed when Yokozuna and Vader eliminated the Headhunters.

The 1997 Royal Rumble took place during a thin time as well, and the WWF's solution was to bring in Mexican stars - Cibernetico, Pierroth, Hector Garza, and a few others. Latin Lover, too, I think. The fans absolutely gave no shits. This was also the Rumble with Fake Diesel and Fake Razor Ramon, and there was a lot of apathy towards them as well.

The 1994 Royal Rumble had Genichiro Tenryu and Great Kabuki doing a mini-feud with Lex Luger at the time, so they were plugged into the match. While they're big in Japan, they were just generic evil Japanese guys to the fans. (Shame Tenryu never committed to an extended stay in the U.S. - he might've been an interesting character with the right angle. Plus, good wrestler, and very well liked. Lance Storm loved working for him in WAR.)

And of course, jobbers get poor reactions. Barry Horowitz has no chance of winning, so why should fans care?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Who the hell was Rodney Mack? He's in SmackDown Here Comes the Pain and Wikipedia proves he's not some create a wrestler they threw in there but I swear I've never heard of him, and I kind of watched the product at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Almost all of those international guys were because of working agreements with various companies. WWE had a working agreement with SWS, Tenryu's company, so they used Tenryu and Kanuki. Tenryu and Koji Kitao (who had one of the funniest stories in the original DVDVR sleaze thread) actually beat Demolition at Wrestlemania 7. There was also a working agreement between WWE and AAA to try and help WWE with talent. I believe that's how they came to use Max Mini and Mini Vader and Mini Pierroth. Colon I assume was a political thing too, but damned if I know how it came about.

Doug Gilbert being in the Rumble was a direct result of the WWE/Memphis relationship. He won a 15 man battle royal in Memphis for the right to be in the Rumble.

If I'm not mistaken Dick Murdoch showed up for a Rumble and eliminated himself by headbutting a Headshrinker and the recoil sent him over the top rope.

crankdatbatman posted:

Who the hell was Rodney Mack? He's in SmackDown Here Comes the Pain and Wikipedia proves he's not some create a wrestler they threw in there but I swear I've never heard of him, and I kind of watched the product at that time.

He was a charge of Teddy Long who had something called the "White Boy Challenge". He'd challenge curtain jerkers and jobbers, beta them, and then whale on them afterwards while Long ranted about racial inequality in WWE. It's where Long's music comes from, it used to be Rodney's. Eventually the challenge was closed when Goldberg responded to it and crushed Mack like an insect.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 5, 2013