Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
But... It's a giant!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Sogol posted:

But... It's a giant!

Eyes on the prize Sogol. Eyes on the prize.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
1. You also learned...

B. Many a time you saw Aaron creep upon your prey. Watching him, you have learned more of how to sneak upon wild animals. More than once you saw Aaron sneak up on a wild deer and not be noticed till he grabbed it. You are no master, you are hardly an apprentice but you have learned more of stealth from Aaron.

2. You...

I. Stood far to the rear of Aaron but still in the cave and shot arrows at them.

3. You...

M. I stayed back, but not as far as I might have and when I thought it safe enough, I shot my bow.

4. S

You believe..

X. As Aaron does. The faith of the men of Zepath. I believe it all true but there may be more.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Tomn posted:

1. D. Tracking is going to be pretty useful in finding prey, both for food and foreskins. It'll also be handy when it comes to avoiding bigger poo poo than we care to handle. Stealth might be handy, but considering the description it seems like any improvement gained there will be marginal at best.

2. H. Trying to muck about with a bow inside a cave after being ambushed is a sucker's game. Get outside and get ready to shoot anything that comes out that isn't Aaron. Shame, though, that's probably a fair harvest of foreskins there.

3. M. Hey, it worked for the scorpion.

4. U. Only our kills matter, we can't take the foreskin from anything Aaron killed, and it's not terribly likely that we're going to replicate our feat with the scorpion. So we might as well take down something visually impressive and cool!

5. Zd. This is sufficiently complex that I seriously doubt I'll get anyone voting this way, but whatever, it's what I think. I don't think the faith of Zepath is actually correct - our interactions so far with what is probably the Melachim has not indicated the presence of a singular, all-powerful being that runs the whole show. That said, it IS clear that SOMETHING is responding to prayers to El (certainly to sacrifices!), and even if the Melachim are in fact running things they don't seem overly adverse to El-worship and there are suggestions that they're not huge fans of being worshipped themselves. Further, even if the Bareen faith is mostly true, I consider it to be sheer nonsense to say that Tudiya et al. are all frauds deliberately fooling the populace - it's more likely that they simply bought into an ancient lie or mistake.

To sum up, I guess? Operate based on the Zepathan model for now, since it seems to work, but the truth is out there and it is not as Zepath believes, even if the basic structure seems similar.

Note: The reason why I'm not voting X is because I explicitly do not think that El is currently a single, conscious, existing figure. This isn't a matter of belief, it's just that available evidence doesn't point that way and in fact suggests the opposite. For that matter, available evidence suggests that there is much in the world that explicitly contradicts various points of Zepathan doctrine - our own Bloodedness possibly being one of them (though we should probably question Jalitha a little more closely about our parentage).

But while the Zepathan doctrine is probably full of holes, it also seems to work. In the absence of any better explanation (Bareen's faith seems a bit too frothy-at-the-mouth), I'm willing to roll with it for now until we fill in the holes.

I like these, but I agree completely on 5. That was pretty much what I was thinking to a T.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Well, we now have evidence that the creation story of El creating it all in 10 days (translated to 7 for the purpose of goon sanity, a vain ambition if I ever heard one) is not the case. Azz claims to have crafted the desolate places and goats. Maybe-Xuriel seems to have created birds. This might imply that each of the different pieces of the creation account, including demons and humans were crafted by various beings, who do not entirely get along. Delegation?

Bareen's account is that Labaras made up El. El is not a being in the way the Melachim are by all accounts. There is apparently a 'police' force of some sort that we have yet to encounter directly and from which we are thus far 'safe'. There is some form of authority which the Melachim recognize, though they have varied relationships to that it seems. It is possible that El is a governance structure or a role or... I don't think Labaras made him up though. Whether authentic or not that is simply politically convenient.

We probably think about these things, but don't have good answers. We don't even have good answers about things that concern us immediately, such as "are you my Dad?"

So I figure El is real or a name for something real, but what exactly remains a mystery.

Hell, we don't even know what Snarls is at this point.

At present we are focused on developing mighty manly skills and collecting foreskins it seems.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Klingtron posted:

1.B Sneaky archer best archer

2.I

3.M Stay out of his way and maybe get a good shot off now and then

4.S One for each of us!

5.x I mean at this point we kind of know there's more
This. While Tomn brings up a good point that we, as Enkidel, do not know without a doubt that El is real or created the world, we do as readers know that one being created the world (and I am not talking about Diog).

The first line of the OP:

Diogines posted:

"In the beginning there was naught but the Creator who dwelt in void and sat in silence".

There is more to the story of El that Ishamal and Azzazel and Uncle Jorah/Xuriel(?) knows. It has been hinted at us that something happened well before our time that is definitely going to manifest sooner or later in our lives. The fact that there was a single creator shouldn't be. Whether that is El or not is up for debate. We know something happened on the sixth day of creation, since the OP stops the creation story there. We know that Asherah or something from Ashera was forced to the sea by Zepa. From our interaction with Azzazel and Uncle Jorah/(?) we know that there is a them; Whether they are Creators or just a higher class of Melachim than who we are speaking to we do not know and there is not enough evidence to assume one way or the other.

tl;dr We don't know poo poo aside from what Diog has told us, and I think the truest story of creation we have got is not from Sushem or Tudiyah but from Diog at the beginning, unfinished as it is.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Sogol posted:

(translated to 7 for the purpose of goon sanity, a vain ambition if I ever heard one)

The number of days in the story remains unchanged and no reference to a week is made in it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

HiHo ChiRho posted:

This. While Tomn brings up a good point that we, as Enkidel, do not know without a doubt that El is real or created the world, we do as readers know that one being created the world (and I am not talking about Diog).

Maybe...but then again, maybe not. Note that the starting creation myth mentions, repeatedly, crafting things out of the "Creator's" flesh. Now, it may be that there was an actual literal Creator pulling off chunks of his own meat and slapping it down to mystically create reality, but it seems more likely that this is some form of metaphor, rendered into a form that simpler beings could understand - or to put it another way, a creation story that goes "at that point, the thaugmatological constants in N-space coalesced into freely-associating gluons, thereby forming the basis of what would eventually become quantum foam" would make no sense to anyone this side of the Large Hadron Collider (and it certainly makes no sense to me and would probably cause any reading physicists to go into conniptions.)

If we accept that the opening story is probably allegorical instead of a literal depiction of creation, then it's hard to say exactly whether "Creator" refers to one single, individual intelligent entity or not. Might it refer instead to a collective of beings? Might it refer to some sort of energy nexus instead? Or might it perhaps (if the Melachim are aliens) refer to the starship or central HQ of the Melachim, which might be more easily explained to a primitive intelligence as being "one being"? We really can't say for certain.

I agree that the opening creation story is probably the truest account of creation we have so far, but it's still looking through a clouded window via a cracked mirror at midnight. It's still difficult to draw any firm conclusions about what is and what isn't at present using the information we have provided, and I think it's still premature, whether as Enkidel or as 21st century goons, to say for certain whether there is a singular all-powerful creator or not. The only thing I believe we CAN say for certain is that Zepathan faith is almost certainly an incomplete picture of the truth - where I differ from option X is that I think Zepathan faith is probably actively wrong in certain aspects, instead of being merely incomplete.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Well yeah. Basically we need to have that talk with the Melachim/Ishamal like we wanted to to get a better understanding before we can definitively say what happened in Genesis. At this point it's all up in arms as to what has happened, but I'm taking Diog at his word when he is not obviously pointing out he is really meaning something else.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Well yeah. Basically we need to have that talk with the Melachim/Ishamal like we wanted to to get a better understanding before we can definitively say what happened in Genesis. At this point it's all up in arms as to what has happened, but I'm taking Diog at his word when he is not obviously pointing out he is really meaning something else.

Yeah, if we ever get those guys to stand still and answer some questions we should definitely spend that opportunity quizzing them about creation myths.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
1) B
2) I
3) O, Q
4) T
5) Y

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

G. I practiced my bow as much as I could.
I. Stood far to the rear of Aaron but still in the cave and shot arrows at them.
M. I stayed back, but not as far as I might have and when I thought it safe enough, I shot my bow.
U. We saw an honest-to-El giant. Thirty feel tall, a great and savage brute with a belt around it's hips filled with skulls!

Zd. My thoughts are pretty much in line with Tomn's here, except I think that El is probably just another Melachim who might be the leader of a council of them that rules over the others or something.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
G I M U X

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

HBar posted:

1. Make the most of our super senses by becoming super-observant.

2. He said the same thing about the scorpion.

3. We'll never wield that magic prank-club unless we practice.

4. Two foreskins is better than one or zero. But that's assuming none of the hair snakes have little reptile dicks.

5. Our knockout visions make it clear that we've been receiving a dumbed-down version of something bigger.
I'm ok with all of this.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1. D- So that we can find the monsters to rip foreskin/clits off of like a good, godly warrior.

2. J- Not enough space for the bow, and run from goblins? Pfft.

3. NQ- We shot at them when it was 'dangerous' and practiced clubbing when it wasn't

4. T- Not enough powerful ladies in this story. Also, lots of stomach gems.

5. Zc- We have seen magic blood-lightning, and Eyescream, and visions, and visions invading visions. Asherah is all powerful. :getin:

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
F The bow is our weapon of transition, we will be mighty, the club will be a fitting weapon for us as we grow stronger. We're outgrowing the bow and Aaron taught us how.

I When it seemed outrageous of course we'd bail, but there was no reason not to help out against the goblins.

M When safe, we took our chances...

P But sometimes, we took bigger chances.

U We fought an Honest-To-El giant. And man let me tell you about the foreskin I brought Tudiya....

ZD Truthfully, it's W. They exist, God exists and his followers, but I believe El has gone quiet, he must exist, I believe that. But he does not take great effort in the affairs of man.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Slaan posted:

5. Zc- We have seen magic blood-lightning, and Eyescream, and visions, and visions invading visions. Asherah is all powerful. :getin:

Asherah is the most powerful single force we've encountered, changing vote to this.

Theglavwen
Jun 10, 2006

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

FoxTerrier posted:

Yea tho, fingers crossed that's the skull of some merchant whose family will be pumped to get him back. We could use the cred with them toffs ya (dammit, my brain is stuck in advente calendare gear, drat you TheGlavwen!).

Now imagine what sort of a state you're in after a month of posting almost exclusively like that.

1:D Tracking like that is just too useful a tool, in so many situations, to pass up, plus it implicitly helps in hunting, so there's a bit of A in there too.
2: I
3: M
4: T Two foreskins is tempting, but belly jewels!
5: X Yeah, we believe it all by now, although we don't believe it slavishly or exclusively. There's too much mystery out there, we've seen too much.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Tsyni posted:

Asherah is the most powerful single force we've encountered, changing vote to this.

Well I mean, technically I'm pretty sure that Asherah is real, but definitely not divine. Definitely a strong monster.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Pladdicus posted:

Well I mean, technically I'm pretty sure that Asherah is real, but definitely not divine. Definitely a strong monster.

Maybe, maybe not. Remember that Asherah pulled us through the air, miles away from the ocean. Either Asherah is the most powerful monster, or is somehow divine as well, and we have no idea how to draw that line.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Pladdicus posted:

She invaded the vision sent to us by angels. If she isn't divine, she is at least anti-divine. Not just a strong monster. This is like, Lucifer level, at least.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Slaan posted:

She invaded the vision sent to us by angels. If she isn't divine, she is at least anti-divine. Not just a strong monster. This is like, Lucifer level, at least.

Demonic.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pladdicus posted:

Definitely a strong monster.

FYI, you just defined a god.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Demonic has a negative connotation, madame. What is negative about being hungry? Quite fat shaming! Asherah just wants to be loved for loving to eat. :colbert:

Anti-divine.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Zepa kicked Asherah's butt apparently. It is not at all clear the EyeScream is related to Asherah in any way. Asherah is also geographically based, unlike even the basic Melachim we have seen. Asherah is also more or less beast level cunning, but otherwise unintelligent, just animated Hunger. It is also unclear that our visions are Melachim created and there seems far more evidence that we create them, meaning we invaded our own visions by having some weird lingering obsession with one of the five major, created demons that live in the mortal realm.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Hmm. Diog, one thing I want to clear up.

The main reason I haven't voted X before is that it doesn't seem to admit doubt on central tenets of the Zepathan faith, like the existence of El or his nature as all-powerful and benevolent (or the nature of demons as being fundamentally evil and lesser than El). I interpreted it as allowing for mythical truths outside the known strictures, but not allowing for anything that would outright contradict said strictures. So, for example, we could accept that the Melachim actually use gluons and muons to perform miracles instead of magic, but we could not accept the possibility that people other than sons of Labaras can righteously use magic. Is this an accurate interpretation, or have I read it more strictly than I should have?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Outrail posted:

FYI, you just defined a god.

I don't think power defines a god. Besides there is only one God and it is El :colbert:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Ashera is nothing but a fat acceptance activist from tumblr screaming about how everyone should just accept her for eating everything

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Ashera is nothing but a fat acceptance activist from tumblr screaming about how everyone should just accept her for eating everything

Zepa was a master PUA who negged that bitch right back into the ocean.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

1:F - Practice for our giant club
2:I - Stood back and shot, CAREFULLY SO AS NOT TO KILL AARON
3:M - Stay safe but don't wimp out.
4:T - Gorgons are bad news!
5:V - We have no reason not to believe. We've seen things

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Tomn posted:

Hmm. Diog, one thing I want to clear up.

The main reason I haven't voted X before is that it doesn't seem to admit doubt on central tenets of the Zepathan faith, like the existence of El or his nature as all-powerful and benevolent (or the nature of demons as being fundamentally evil and lesser than El). I interpreted it as allowing for mythical truths outside the known strictures, but not allowing for anything that would outright contradict said strictures. So, for example, we could accept that the Melachim actually use gluons and muons to perform miracles instead of magic, but we could not accept the possibility that people other than sons of Labaras can righteously use magic. Is this an accurate interpretation, or have I read it more strictly than I should have?

This is not the sort of question I can answer. I give information about the world. Your interpretation is generally up to you.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Diogines posted:

This is not the sort of question I can answer. I give information about the world. Your interpretation is generally up to you.

OK, maybe I phrased that badly. I was asking if my interpretation of the OPTION was correct, because I wasn't sure what it meant. That is, most people seem to think that Option X means generally "Parts of Zepathan belief seem to be true, but other parts don't, so keep an open mind" whereas I thought it meant "I believe all of what Zepath believes, but I'm open to accepting the possibility of other things being true as long as they don't contradict the aforementioned beliefs." Small but important difference, I think, so I'd appreciate it if it was cleared up as to just what Option X means.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

X is that all of the Zepathan beliefs are true but there may be other information as well, not that only part of it is true.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
1. B
2. H
3. N Q
4. T
5. Y

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Dec 5, 2013

Save Target As
Oct 13, 2008

B I M T X

Aw yeah learning is fun.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Diogines posted:

X is that all of the Zepathan beliefs are true but there may be other information as well, not that only part of it is true.

There we go, then.

A vote for X is NOT simply a vote for keeping an open mind - it is a vote for believing in everything that Tudiya, Aaron et. al. believes in. A vote for X is as such a vote for believing that El is the single, all-powerful creator of the world, that he endowed Labaras and his seed with magical powers that only they can wield, that Labaras and his seed have a divine sanction to take and hold as much of the world as they can carve out for themselves, that the Melachim are no more than servants of El, etc. etc. The whole lot.

If that's what you intended, that's fine, but if all you wanted was "The truth is out there!", Y probably fits better than X.

Absum
May 28, 2013

Changing my vote to 5.Y then.

Apart from that I guess I'm voting 1.A after all.

Eryxias
Feb 17, 2011

Stay low.
1. A
2. I
3. N
4. S (papa wants some skins :getin: )
5. X

Task Manager
Sep 5, 2008

A weird time in which we are alive. We can travel anywhere we want, even to other planets. And for what? To sit day after day, declining in morale and hope.
1) G – Let’s keep getting even more impressive with the bow, you know, given our super awesome sniping eyesight and all.
2) I – Same strategy as the scorp, let Aaron handle up close and snipe from behind.
3) M - I stayed back, but not as far as I might have and when I thought it safe enough, I shot my bow. Listen to Aaron, but we proved our worth with the Scorpion – unless we hit Aaron or something, we stood back but not too far back and plinked monsters.
4) T – Gorgon! gently caress Naomi (Well, not literally, figuratively I guess....Team Not-Naomi)
5) X – So far it seems like El is top dog, Enkidel believes for sure El is The Man, but there may be more to all this than it seems.

Task Manager fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Pladdicus posted:

I don't think power defines a god. Besides there is only one God and it is El :colbert:
If faith really does equal power, anyone or anything can ascend to godhood if enough people believe. But El is the only capital-G God, as in an omnipotent creator deity. At least, as far as we know.