Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

mallamp posted:

Well I don't know, I don't mind violence (in books) that much actually, but when it's a graphic scene that involves a child in particular it just feels way more sick than something like "And then the whole Kingdom of Blahblahia was turned into dust" (even though that implies that children were killed aswell). Even the Steelheart scene would've been more fine if it hadn't been so weirdly graphic and specific, mother clinging to the bones. No. I don't want to imagine something like that. And it just came so out of nowhere, it's YA book, come on. Maybe I'll retry it soon, but if it has other scenes like that I'll drop it for good.

I'm echoing everyone else here in that it was an effective if unsubtle way to show how horrible Epics are. But yeah, that's the only time anything like that happens in the book. (Well, that particular atrocity, anyway; there isn't anything else having to do with violence against children.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Given that one of the most popular YA novel series in recent times is more or less about children brutally murdering each other for reality TV, I don't think that there's really an issue.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
I found that scene to be very dark. The thing it demonstrated about the epics was not necessarily how evil they are, but how capricious.

Deathpoint did that because he could and for no other reason.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I read The Rithmatist over the weekend. I thought it was a lot better than Steelheart and I look forward to more in that world. The man can write!

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

OneTwentySix posted:

Given that one of the most popular YA novel series in recent times is more or less about children brutally murdering each other for reality TV, I don't think that there's really an issue.

I was gonna say, the YA I've read have been much more graphically violent than the other stuff I've read. They replace sex with violence in YA, basically.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

By the way, new steehunt chapter unlock!

Words of Radiance: Chapter Two

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Tunicate posted:

By the way, new steehunt chapter unlock!

Words of Radiance: Chapter Two

And how do we read these?

Deception
Nov 6, 2004
Your an idiot
My an idiot

Velius posted:

And how do we read these?

Hell, where is chapter 1? I second this, I'm starving for more Stormlight material.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deception posted:

Hell, where is chapter 1? I second this, I'm starving for more Stormlight material.

Not up on steelhunt, I'm afraid. Apparently Sanderson's planning on a Rashomon chapter for each book in Stormlight.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I'm rereading The Way of Kings, Elhokar has a set of shardplate sword and plate won during the first year of the Vengeance Pact. Who was the previous kings?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

My wife and I enjoy discussing potential actors for our favorite Sanderson stories. Recently we've been trying to figure out who could ever play Vin in a TV series or feature length movie and I keep coming back to Jaimie Alexander (Lady Sif from Thor). She's obviously much older than 17, but hollywood doesn't care about that kinda stuff.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
So the shards (Ruin, Preservation in particular here) were held by people that did things. Ruin and Preservation landed on Scardriel and had their little hissy fight at each other to create sentient life.

Where did the people holding Ruin and Preservation (Ati and whatever) come from originally?

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

omnibobb posted:

So the shards (Ruin, Preservation in particular here) were held by people that did things. Ruin and Preservation landed on Scardriel and had their little hissy fight at each other to create sentient life.

Where did the people holding Ruin and Preservation (Ati and whatever) come from originally?

iirc the planet Yolen. Hoid has a duology about his back story ostensibly titled The Liar of Partinel and The Lightweaver of Rens these take place on the same planet as his drafted/planned Dragonsteel series.

Yolen is the planet where Adonalsium was 'shattered' into its constituent shards. Each shard was taken by one of those present during the event. Some (Ati, Laras) were nicer than others (Rayse)

It didn't stop Ati from becoming a dick however as the nature of his shard (Ruin) overtook his original personality after centuries/millennia.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

treeboy posted:

iirc the planet Yolen. Hoid has a duology about his back story ostensibly titled The Liar of Partinel and The Lightweaver of Rens these take place on the same planet as his drafted/planned Dragonsteel series.

Yolen is the planet where Adonalsium was 'shattered' into its constituent shards. Each shard was taken by one of those present during the event. Some (Ati, Laras) were nicer than others (Rayse)

It didn't stop Ati from becoming a dick however as the nature of his shard (Ruin) overtook his original personality after centuries/millennia.

Thanks, that helps. It's always weird reading the coppermind wiki and seeing names/shards used interchangibly. I felt like it read when Adonalsium split, the shards spread throughout the Cosmere and was either found on the planet or acted like a green lantern ring or something.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Usually their shards identity is all that's known about them, and in any case, their personalities soon(in a cosmic sense of soon) get subsumed by the shard anyway. I think it's implied you just wouldn't have a balanced personality without shards which largely counter each other's influence, before even considering the earth shattering powers they represent.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

veekie posted:

Usually their shards identity is all that's known about them, and in any case, their personalities soon(in a cosmic sense of soon) get subsumed by the shard anyway. I think it's implied you just wouldn't have a balanced personality without shards which largely counter each other's influence, before even considering the earth shattering powers they represent.

Though if you're an rear end in a top hat, the cosmic power of 'being an rear end in a top hat' doesn't change much.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

treeboy posted:

My wife and I enjoy discussing potential actors for our favorite Sanderson stories. Recently we've been trying to figure out who could ever play Vin in a TV series or feature length movie and I keep coming back to Jaimie Alexander (Lady Sif from Thor). She's obviously much older than 17, but hollywood doesn't care about that kinda stuff.

Jennifer Lawrence would also be an easy pick.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Short hair, short girl, kinda scrawny. I choose Ellen Page.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I dunno, I think Chloe Moretz would be able to pull it off better, and she already has wire-fu experience.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

I just think Jaimie actually looks even somewhat like the newer cover art Vin, and she can do the physical stuff. I figure any allomancy will be CG

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BananaNutkins posted:

Short hair, short girl, kinda scrawny. I choose Ellen Page.

That's Sanderson's pick as well, though she might have gotten a little too old.

Anyone going to the NY event Saturday?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'd prefer Chloe Moretz over Ellen Page, she has attitude. I'd like Jennifer Lawrence though too but I love her :allears:

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008
I just finished the Rithmatist. It was completely awesome. It was a fun and lighthearted book and I can't wait for the next one. I love being an unobservant reader though, because I never see the big reveals coming. For instance, I was thoroughly convinced the Scribbler was Exton from the first time they mentioned his cane. I couldn't have possibly anticipated Nalizar's devious plans but I probably should've seen Harding coming.

On another note, I've been doubling up on reading Sanderson by listening to a different audiobook while in the car. I decided to listen to Elantris, and so far that's pretty good. The downside is that I don't know how to spell any of the names in that book, so if I ever ask a question I'll have to google the hell out of things(and avoid spoilers) to not look like an idiot.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

Yarrbossa posted:

I just finished the Rithmatist. It was completely awesome. It was a fun and lighthearted book and I can't wait for the next one. I love being an unobservant reader though, because I never see the big reveals coming. For instance, I was thoroughly convinced the Scribbler was Exton from the first time they mentioned his cane. I couldn't have possibly anticipated Nalizar's devious plans but I probably should've seen Harding coming.

On another note, I've been doubling up on reading Sanderson by listening to a different audiobook while in the car. I decided to listen to Elantris, and so far that's pretty good. The downside is that I don't know how to spell any of the names in that book, so if I ever ask a question I'll have to google the hell out of things(and avoid spoilers) to not look like an idiot.

Warbringer has the worst voice acting of anything ever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This Post Sucks posted:

Is that like Warbreaker but with voice acting so bad they can't pronounce the title correctly?

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

This Post Sucks posted:

Yeah, that doesn't bode well. I was going to listen to that one next. I hope it's not as bad as a Dune audiobook I tried years ago. I couldn't make it more than a few chapters there.

On another note, I started Steelheart last night, and I'm already 25% through it. I can't get enough of Sanderson's writing.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

mystes posted:

Is that like Warbreaker but with voice acting so bad they can't pronounce the title correctly?

:shrug: Pretty much! The VA makes Lightsong sound like Keanu Reeves.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This Post Sucks posted:

I'm apparently the only person in the world who thought this but I think that given Lightsong's dialogue being what it was, the audiobook did a good job of making his character seem plausible, even if that character wasn't someone I would want to spend every day of my life being forced to listen to.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This Post Sucks posted:

I've never heard the audiobook but I've always used Keanu Reeves' voice for Lightsong in my head.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mystes posted:

I'm apparently the only person in the world who thought this but I think that given Lightsong's dialogue being what it was, the audiobook did a good job of making his character seem plausible, even if that character wasn't someone I would want to spend every day of my life being forced to listen to.

I thought they got his voice down right as well. Not so much most other characters.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Warbreaker also has an audioplay version that I thought was pretty decent. Comes with its own sound effects.

http://www.graphicaudio.net/catalog/category/view/s/warbreaker-fantasy/id/73/

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Honestly, the audiobook for Steelheart makes the book so much better because the narrator's voice of David is nearly exactly Fry from Futurama. Picturing David as a Fry-like character makes the book amusing.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I'm at the avalanche for Way of Kings and I'm at work and I can only take so many "bathroom breaks" a day. :(

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!
That's what e-books are for! Don't mind me I'm just, uh, checking messages on my phone. Yes... messages.

Also I met up with the girl I'm seeing in a book store and she was buying the Mistborn trilogy without my having suggested anything. :allears: I chose well it seems.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
This one somehow nearly slipped under my radar:

http://www.amazon.com/Mitosis-Reckoners-Story-Brandon-Sanderson-ebook/dp/B00GQAMAK6/

Happy Thanksgiving!

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Has anyone read Brandon's story in the Dangerous Women anthology? If so, how was it?

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

Fezz posted:

Has anyone read Brandon's story in the Dangerous Women anthology? If so, how was it?

I have and it's good. Interesting world and a snappy little story.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I'm home with a sick kid today so i read Mitosis. It was alright. Builds a little bit more on the world. Takes place over about half a day.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm trying to figure out if Prof's been "outed" to the rest of the cell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
In the last week I bought and read steel heart, legion, rithmitic, and emperors soul. Someone give me more Sanderson before I die. Also is dune any good?