Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Whatever the virtual IP is of the CAS array, you want stuff on the outside to resolve to that.

So right now, for example, you might have something like mail.poopyfarts.org, on your firewall that gets translated to your CAS internal IP address (192.168.5.1) which is cas01.poopyfarts.local, but should also be set up in your internal DNS to point mail.poopyfarts.org => 192.168.5.1 internally.

Instead, you'll have mail.poopyfarts.org point to the virtual IP of your CAS array from the outside (so the firewall goes to that instead of 192.168.5.1) and likewise for the internal DNS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Gyshall posted:

Whatever the virtual IP is of the CAS array, you want stuff on the outside to resolve to that.

So right now, for example, you might have something like mail.poopyfarts.org, on your firewall that gets translated to your CAS internal IP address (192.168.5.1) which is cas01.poopyfarts.local, but should also be set up in your internal DNS to point mail.poopyfarts.org => 192.168.5.1 internally.

Instead, you'll have mail.poopyfarts.org point to the virtual IP of your CAS array from the outside (so the firewall goes to that instead of 192.168.5.1) and likewise for the internal DNS.

Thanks, I'll start trying to get this in order.

So for about 50 mailboxes/300 gigs or so of email on 2010 SP1, about how long can I expect for downtime? My boss is traveling in Japan right now and getting kind of bitchy about this downtime but the next few months are pretty much booked solid so it would be good to have an estimate. Obviously CPU and other things factor into this, but can anyone give me an estimate, I'm seeing 30 mins to 2 hours on various sites but I have no idea what their install conditions are.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If your current CAS is on its own machine, no downtime, really. If you have one box with all the roles, that is a bit more complicated. Really you should be able to do all the testing with the mail2.company.com DNS record before switching over.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

If your current CAS is on its own machine, no downtime, really. If you have one box with all the roles, that is a bit more complicated. Really you should be able to do all the testing with the mail2.company.com DNS record before switching over.

Yeah, we're all in one. I'm probably just going to go in for an hour or two on friday when everyone is off. Thanks for all your help!

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
No problem. I'm actually not sure what a CAS array is going to do for you then, though.

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
Is there any way to log changes made to user mailboxes? For instance, logging who made a change and when a change was made to the email address or forwarding address for a user mailbox? Exchange can log a lot of stuff but I can't see if this can be reported. (Exchange 2007)

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Pretty sure thats an active directory change and can be audited that way.

Intrepid00
Nov 10, 2003

I'm tired of the PM’s asking if I actually poisoned kittens, instead look at these boobies.

incoherent posted:

Pretty sure thats an active directory change and can be audited that way.

It is AD attributes.

Audit Directions

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You should really enable the advance logging to have a record of all DS changes. Especially if people in the organization can slip in to the other exchange roles (Discovery management for one).

incoherent fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Nov 27, 2013

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Just checking, Junk Email for outlook is processed client side right? We use Mimecast and I'm trying to figure out how to shut that poo poo off since we don't need double filtering. I'm trying to figure out if it's a server setting or a GPO thing I have to deploy.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
If you're in cached mode it is done server-side. Either turn it off organization wide, or turn it off via OWA.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

Just checking, Junk Email for outlook is processed client side right? We use Mimecast and I'm trying to figure out how to shut that poo poo off since we don't need double filtering. I'm trying to figure out if it's a server setting or a GPO thing I have to deploy.
You turn it off with GPO

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
I'm finishing up a 2003 to 2010 migration, and now trying to uninstall exchange 2003 I need the install files. Is there anywhere I can download these online? I can have a coworker go on-site next week and dig through old dusty boxes, but I'd rather just download the installer and get this poo poo done!

Edit: Just tried using the SP3 media to uninstall, it continued the install but then failed and is no longer on the list! Hooray!!! There's no way this will come back to bite me later on.

Cheech Marinade fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 1, 2013

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Anyone have a good cross site redirection tutorial? I'm finding a few but they leave a lot to be desired.

My last step here is getting that working so I can start moving mailboxes without disrupting OWA/ActiveSync.

The new server is not external facing yet, just accessible via VPN in all offices and until we're ready to cut over to it as the new server, I'd kind of like to keep it that way.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

RabidFurby posted:

I'm finishing up a 2003 to 2010 migration, and now trying to uninstall exchange 2003 I need the install files. Is there anywhere I can download these online? I can have a coworker go on-site next week and dig through old dusty boxes, but I'd rather just download the installer and get this poo poo done!

Edit: Just tried using the SP3 media to uninstall, it continued the install but then failed and is no longer on the list! Hooray!!! There's no way this will come back to bite me later on.

You can do a manual uninstall with adsiedit that will minimize chances of u getting hosed later.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Holy loving gently caress. I got everything working.

Servers have a new re-keyed cert with both internal and the external host names on it. OWA and ActiveSync Proxying works. Email flows back and forth through both servers and externally. Goddamn, can I really start moving mailboxes in a week or so?

When you guys say I have to "touch" all the clients afte rI move their mailboxes, what exactly do you mean by that? And does the offline cache need to rebuild or will I be ok there?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Really depends on how they are set up now. I'd pick a guinnea pig user and see how they react to being moved (after telling them of course.)

Ideally you should have all clients Outlook profile pointing at mail.whatever.com as the Client access server (new or old) which then will update automatically.

I think the 2003 => 2010 documentation says to create a legacy.whatever.com address and then you set up reverse proxying for mail.whatever.com to legacy.whatever.com. That should handle all client access nonsense.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Really depends on how they are set up now. I'd pick a guinnea pig user and see how they react to being moved (after telling them of course.)

Ideally you should have all clients Outlook profile pointing at mail.whatever.com as the Client access server (new or old) which then will update automatically.

I think the 2003 => 2010 documentation says to create a legacy.whatever.com address and then you set up reverse proxying for mail.whatever.com to legacy.whatever.com. That should handle all client access nonsense.

I can use myself as a guinea pig, I don't care.

Unfortunately the way I originally set up was for everyone to point to hostname.domain.com and never created a 1 server CAS array (which I asked about earlier). According to various articles I've seen, if I had set up a 1 server CAS array all I'd have to do is add the new server to the array and when I do the mailbox move it just automatically flips over (which I guess is what you said).

Since I have split DNS I should probably set up a CAS array for our external domain internally and then point everyone to that, and then add the new server to the array?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've never mucked with CAS arrays in a single server scenario like that - CAS arrays and Database Availability Groups (DAG) are more useful in a high fault tolerance scenario (multiple servers/sites/etc.)

What you most likely want in your scenario is the "Configure Client Access Server" section of this technet article.

I put this in place at a client and had all the 2003 clients go to "Legacy.domain.com" through a proxy from hostname.domain.com, like you have. Much easier that way.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

You turn it off with GPO

If you have a spam gateway that sends spam to the recipients junk folder, does turning the junk folder off in GPO stop the email from being sent there?

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm looking to get some info on the "server" field in the "server settings" area of Outlook, Exchange account configuration. I'm fairly new to exchange and not entirely sure what it points to.

I'm reading the following article and as far as I'm aware, it's a unique ID for an account identity. Is that correct?

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125042%28v=exchg.150%29.aspx

I believe one of my user's Outlook profile is having trouble auto-detecting the identifier, or it's searching for an expired ID. I'd like to at least be able to find that ID in their profile somewhere and manually apply it to their Outlook client. They're able to log into Outlook Web Access with their credentials, so I don't think it's an issue with the physical account.

The answer I'd like to hear is that OWS has a link I can click to view the info. Just not sure where I'd find it if such a thing exists.

The reality I'm reading is that I'm gonna have to use a GET cmdlet to view the identifier. :smith:

If this is more of an Outlook question, I apologize. I'm relatively sure it's an exchange related question.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Dec 5, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is your Exchange hosted or on premise? What version?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

kiwid posted:

If you have a spam gateway that sends spam to the recipients junk folder, does turning the junk folder off in GPO stop the email from being sent there?

I think it only turns off client side filtering

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

I think it only turns off client side filtering

Is turning it off in GPO the same thing as turning it off in the Outlook options?

I tested it by turning it off in Outlook and waiting for a spam email to hit my gateway that sends it to the user's junk email and it came to my inbox instead :sigh:

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Gyshall posted:

Is your Exchange hosted or on premise? What version?

Hosted and running 2013.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'd check with your hosting provider to see what they recommend your Autodiscover settings are set to.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

kiwid posted:

Is turning it off in GPO the same thing as turning it off in the Outlook options?

I tested it by turning it off in Outlook and waiting for a spam email to hit my gateway that sends it to the user's junk email and it came to my inbox instead :sigh:

yes it's the same so I guess it does turn off that folder completely.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

yes it's the same so I guess it does turn off that folder completely.

Yeah bummer. Wish you could leave the folder working but just disable the secondary spam check. We've already had several instances where legitimate email is considered a pass at the spam gateway only to still end up in the junk folder because Outlook considered it spam. That second check is kind of a bitch.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is there any way of getting the gateway to add something to the header and then set Outlook to trust anything with that header added by the gateway?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

kiwid posted:

Yeah bummer. Wish you could leave the folder working but just disable the secondary spam check. We've already had several instances where legitimate email is considered a pass at the spam gateway only to still end up in the junk folder because Outlook considered it spam. That second check is kind of a bitch.

can you have your gateway filter send messages to a folder other than the junk email folder

Will Styles
Jan 19, 2005

Caged posted:

Is there any way of getting the gateway to add something to the header and then set Outlook to trust anything with that header added by the gateway?

You can put in a hub transport rule that sets the SCL of the message to -1. That'll keep the message from going into the junk email folder (although if the user has something specifically to move messages to the junk folder it may still do so).

As an example, in my environment after a message comes through our border anti-spam if it's white listed it puts something in the headers (i.e. X-Whitelisted) so we made a transport rule to look for that header and if it's present set the SCL to -1. This effectively let's us control a whitelist in Exchange with our border anti-spam whitelist.

As long as there's something to filter on (header, connecting IP, etc.) you can prevent messages from going into the junk folder.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Just posting to say I want to suck whomever invented migrationwiz's dick or vagina.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

Just found out our Exchange guy is also a goon. We spent all weekend recovering a failed Exchange Server (well, really we emergency flipped them to O365) and now we are looking at recovering their mailboxes from Exchange. We looked at this thread and we're going to recommend this tool based on the gooncensus. Wish us luck.

Details: they had 80 mailboxes on single 320GB Storage Group with 148GB of log files and no Exchange aware backups. :negative:

This client was not under our management until after lightning. Now I believe they will be. :)

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

Stugazi posted:

Just found out our Exchange guy is also a goon. We spent all weekend recovering a failed Exchange Server (well, really we emergency flipped them to O365) and now we are looking at recovering their mailboxes from Exchange. We looked at this thread and we're going to recommend this tool based on the gooncensus. Wish us luck.

Details: they had 80 mailboxes on single 320GB Storage Group with 148GB of log files and no Exchange aware backups. :negative:

This client was not under our management until after lightning. Now I believe they will be. :)

Good Lord. Out of morbid curiosity, what exactly were they using to backup Exchange? Are there really any current backup products that aren't Exchange aware?

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

TKovacs2 posted:

Good Lord. Out of morbid curiosity, what exactly were they using to backup Exchange? Are there really any current backup products that aren't Exchange aware?

probably they were using backup exec without the exchange license or something

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

probably they were using backup exec without the exchange license or something

I didn't even realize you could do an Exchange backup in BE without the license.

Then again, now that I think about it, I guess you could backup the db and log files with regular old BE. Never even considered that was a thing until now.

Ganson
Jul 13, 2007
I know where the electrical tape is!
You could ham it up by adding a script that does the diskshadow parts regularly to clear the log files (right after backing them up). Had to do that multiple times last week juggling mailboxes around to recreate some datastores since when you move a couple hundred gig of mailboxes it makes a couple hundred gig more of database log files :-p

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That is pretty bad, I've seen some horror stories but yeah, those log files. Holy poo poo.

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?

TKovacs2 posted:

Symantec System Recovery. When we logged into the restore console for the first time I saw they didn't have the Exchange stuff turned on. It was just backing up the files. Good times!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

Stugazi posted:

Symantec System Recovery. When we logged into the restore console for the first time I saw they didn't have the Exchange stuff turned on. It was just backing up the files. Good times!

When I worked in the IT service industry, I frequently saw people using SSR as their be all/end all backup solution.

Very rarely did I come across an actual, functioning SSR solution.