Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

eXXon posted:

This chart claims that R9 280x's are just as good as 7970's for litecoin mining.

If I'm to believe this calculator, an R9 280x does roughly 10 litecoins per month, which are "worth" $35 each, so that's $350/month. At load, the Asus 280x draws 350W from a typical system, so for a typical cost of $0.20 /kwH, it's $8.40/day or about $250/month, or $100 profit.

Unless the litecoin price keeps going up and the bubble inflates for another month or two, this whole exercise seems even stupider than at first glance. You have to believe that this nonsense will go on for another 2-3 months without even factoring the cost of all of the other hardware if you're buying computers just to mine, or paying a $200 premium for cards makes no sense at all. If you're a sane person and just want to do it with an existing rig when you're not gaming, ehhh.
Litecoins will trade much higher than $35/mo over the next month, I guarantee it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

eXXon posted:

This chart claims that R9 280x's are just as good as 7970's for litecoin mining.
The chart also confirms that there's a card OEM out there somewhere called COLAMAX, which owns.

Seriously considering selling my unlocked 6950 right now, although I don't know if I really want to assist idiots in giving themselves thermally-induced brain damage.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Can someone explain this litecoin stupidity to me?

I've also got an unlocked 6950. Where are you guys selling this stuff, just on ebay?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

nrr posted:

Can someone explain this litecoin stupidity to me?

I've also got an unlocked 6950. Where are you guys selling this stuff, just on ebay?

It's one of a variety of bitcoin-alikes that use a modified client and a different block chain. There's an exchange rate for it and all that poo poo, both between it and other *coins, and between it and actual money (though good luck getting large amounts of money out if you happen to strike it rich in *coins). Bitcoin was the first and as such the technologies built up around it - first the big switch over from CPU-based to GPU-based computation, then the switch from GPU-based to ASIC-based computation (bitcoin ASICs are dramatically more energy efficient than GPUs while still offering competitive hash rates, which means they have a much higher return on effort put in as the difficulty goes up).

Litecoin was designed to be more or less impossible to mine with ASICs any more efficiently than CPUs, but it still is more efficient to mine it with GPU than CPUs, thanks to a happy accident (GPU companies aren't making cards for bitcoin poo poo, their developments toward GPGPU computing just coincide with stuff that works well for coin mining since all it's doing is slamming hashes up against one another to get collisions with an arbitrarily set difficulty, something that is easier to do for GPUs than CPUs). Litecoin isn't AS exploitable by parallelization as Bitcoin, so instead of a 100x (or greater) improvement by using a GPU or ASIC to mine with, you see instead a 10x (these are fast and loose numbers, but hopefully you get the idea).

The thing is, there's a bubble right now pushing Litecoin prices up. It got a GPU-based mining client not too long ago, both for general OpenCL but also for a CUDA-specific version which actually makes nVidia cards moderately competitive with AMD cards for hash/watt/second - a 780Ti can achieve 2/3rds the efficiency with the CUDA mining client as a R9 290 gets, compared to more like 1/8th before. But the whole "deal" with it is that GPU mining is suddenly profitable, so miners are buying up GPUs left and right since economics be damned, the price on these things never go down and it totally isn't funny money or devil fiat currency etc. etc. etc.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
It looks pretty profitable on paper to be mining litecoins right now, but basically nobody cared about them until now and then all of a sudden literally every US consumer outlet is out of stock of AMD cards, so it's going to be amazing to see what this does to the difficulty.

Swartz
Jul 28, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
This is interesting. I wonder how much I could get for my old 5870.

*Edit*

Don't know where this is happening because I just looked on Ebay at prices on 7870's and it's all pretty reasonable and there's plenty of AMD cards on there.

Swartz fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 5, 2013

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

BITCOIN MINING RIG posted:

although I don't know if I really want to assist idiots in giving themselves thermally-induced brain damage.

How is this even a question? Of COURSE you do!

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

Hahaha this is awesome, have fun letting those idiots screw themselves

Actually, Litecoin mining is profitable right now.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Barely, and we'll see how long that holds up now that the difficulty is going to start ramping up with a couple months of slow-burn megaminer kits put together (like that one guy who, after fronting all that cash, mines about $20k per month - where do you get money out of this thing at, isn't magic: the gathering online exchange frozen? what's the other place to turn coins into money?) followed by the last couple of days of literally cleaning out stock on older cards and paying current-gen prices or higher for last-gen cards.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm wondering how much I could get for my r9 290s WITH CUSTOM COOLING to make those buttcoins fly faster and further than ever before.

Starting bid $1500 for the pair.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Problem is, the 290 isn't great for buttcoin mining. I have 2 6970s and my 7970 still, and my old media pc. Should I start mining buttcoins or just ebay my poo poo before the bubble bursts.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I have to sell my unlocked 6950 when I get home and SA mart my 760s too, now that the lower end cards are sold out and black friday is over there might be more interest.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Byolante posted:

There was also a hilarious situation where a piracy scene group hid a bitcoin mining client in the crack for a big new release

Also the company that gave you cosmetics for mining bitcoins for them.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

HalloKitty posted:

Actually, Litecoin mining is profitable right now.
Just think of all that sweet, sweet monopoly money you can maybe get. :allears:

I'll probably just end up holding onto my card since swapping for something a little better and dealing with out of stock parts seems like alot of effort right now.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Agreed posted:

Barely, and we'll see how long that holds up now that the difficulty is going to start ramping up with a couple months of slow-burn megaminer kits put together (like that one guy who, after fronting all that cash, mines about $20k per month - where do you get money out of this thing at, isn't magic: the gathering online exchange frozen? what's the other place to turn coins into money?) followed by the last couple of days of literally cleaning out stock on older cards and paying current-gen prices or higher for last-gen cards.

https://www.btc-e.com https://www.okpay.com
I have a feeling https://www.btcchina.com also started trading in it, which I believe is the reason for LTC having a spike in the first place - Chinese investment had the effect of making the thing skyrocket.

Eh, I don't have money invested in it, I'm not saying "GO BUY CARDS MINE LITECOIN HURR", but I can totally understand why people are doing it, especially if they have free power.

It's easy to joke about and dismiss, but I guarantee if any of us knew how high Bitcoin was going to climb, you'd have been burning up your house with graphics cards.

As for the monopoly money comment, well, isn't all money really bullshit in the first place? It's just about agreed trade prices. Why are ugly loving paintings that took 5 minutes by some shithead on a canvas worth thousands of dollars? Because some assclown said so. Why is China so cheap for labour? Because they devalue their currency. It's all a bunch of silly numbers, and for those who managed to see what was happening, they'll be rich, regardless of method.

It's not like the bankers on wall street had to work hard in the traditional sense for the money they created, they simply made more loans and then said they had the same amount again to lend out. Then, insured themselves against the losses. Worked out really well for them, and we got shafted.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 5, 2013

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Agreed posted:

Mt. Gox doesn't support Litecoin trading at the moment, but large exchanges like BTC-E do.

For shits and giggles, I decided to do some mining until I ship out my 7970GE. I set it up w/default setting, and threw my Core i5 3570K into the mix as well. In the last 11 hours or so, I've mined 0.12 Litecoins, which at current exchange rates is worth... $4.24. So in one day I can make $9.25, and over a month I can make about $250 after power.

I just ordered an factory OC'ed ASUS 270. Who wants to buy my BF4 download code? :v:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Nobody has free power. Somebody's paying that bill. If it's you, then the profit margin can get pretty slim if you don't have extremely efficient hardware, and that's assuming that you can time the world's most volatile commodities market somehow.

Edit: Grammar dawg, use it

Agreed fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Dec 5, 2013

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

deimos posted:

I have to sell my unlocked 6950 when I get home and SA mart my 760s too, now that the lower end cards are sold out and black friday is over there might be more interest.

Yeah your 2x 760s are tempting.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Factory² forgive me, I am about to veedub my setup while keeping the smallest mATX case ever.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

deimos posted:

Factory² forgive me, I am about to veedub my setup while keeping the smallest mATX case ever.

Oh please do tell :allears:, even in PM if you don't want to start a derail.

Heck, I'm right there with you. I have it all planned out to convert my Prodigy to a CLC festival by Kraken G10-ing or The Mod-ing or getting an Arctic Accelero Hybrid. This would involve not only the CLC and mod work, but I'd have to swap my BR drive for a slimline model with bay adapter to allow for the size of a top-mounted 120mm CLC (with, of course, a Noctua fan). At this point, I'd have maxed cooling on the Prodigy, practically - a 230mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro intake, and 140mm and 120mm Noctua-equipped CLCs as exhaust. Only thing beefer would be, perhaps, a full custom liquid setup with dual 240mm radiating loops, but I want 3.5" drives and an optical, dagnabbit.

If only I could afford this.

--

On that note, I actually looked into Litecoin mining last night, even to the point of setting it up and hashing a couple work units to get a real-world benchmark of my costs.

The biggest limiting factor wasn't actually compute; it was the distribution of workloads. My 680 cleared a workload at 600 KHash/hour, but with all the transmission overhead, I was actually pulling only ~126 on average. Apparently my post-tuning results never would have gotten much past 200 KHash/hour. Part of my profitability assumption was that I'd only be able to cash out half the "value," so by that measure, it was so barely profitable (maybe $15 a month with my current power costs) that it wouldn't be worth the noise.

I may return to it once I move back to school, because 1) utilities are covered by loans, so cash flow won't be a problem, 2) a high first-month bill means I could mine the first month then stop, and enjoy a little extra grocery money that'll only take 40 years to pay off, and 3) if the coins stayed profitable, it'd help with summer expenses (during which I get no loans and would not mine).

HalloKitty posted:

As for the monopoly money comment, well, isn't all money really bullshit in the first place? It's just about agreed trade prices. Why are ugly loving paintings that took 5 minutes by some shithead on a canvas worth thousands of dollars? Because some assclown said so. Why is China so cheap for labour? Because they devalue their currency. It's all a bunch of silly numbers, and for those who managed to see what was happening, they'll be rich, regardless of method.

Fiat currency is valued solely by its ability to convert to goods and services, yeah, without a link to any physical goods. It's not so much bullshit as an abstraction, though; fiat currency is like virtualizing your barter so it's hardware-independent. (The BitCoin DifferenceTM is that butts aren't issued by a government.)

The thing is, Bitcoin isn't very convertible for goods, services, or other non-funnymoney currencies. 1 Bitcoin is worth US $1100 according to exchanges, but go ahead, try to buy the week's groceries for that Bitcoin. I guarantee that if it works at all, it'll feel more like bartering your car than paying with money. Butts are monopoly money because it pretends to be money but isn't.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Dec 5, 2013

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Factory Factory posted:

On that note, I actually looked into Litecoin mining last night, even to the point of setting it up and hashing a couple work units to get a real-world benchmark of my costs.

The biggest limiting factor wasn't actually compute; it was the distribution of workloads. My 680 cleared a workload at 600 KHash/hour, but with all the transmission overhead, I was actually pulling only ~126 on average. Apparently my post-tuning results never would have gotten much past 200 KHash/hour. Part of my profitability assumption was that I'd only be able to cash out half the "value," so by that measure, it was so barely profitable (maybe $15 a month with my current power costs) that it wouldn't be worth the noise.

I may return to it once I move back to school, because 1) utilities are covered by loans, so cash flow won't be a problem, 2) a high first-month bill means I could mine the first month then stop, and enjoy a little extra grocery money that'll only take 40 years to pay off, and 3) if the coins stayed profitable, it'd help with summer expenses (during which I get no loans and would not mine).

Fiat currency is valued solely by its ability to convert to goods and services, yeah, without a link to any physical goods. It's not so much bullshit as an abstraction, though; fiat currency is like virtualizing your barter so it's hardware-independent. (The BitCoin DifferenceTM is that butts aren't issued by a government.)

The thing is, Bitcoin isn't very convertible for goods, services, or other non-funnymoney currencies. 1 Bitcoin is worth US $1100 according to exchanges, but go ahead, try to buy the week's groceries for that Bitcoin. I guarantee that if it works at all, it'll feel more like bartering your car than paying with money. Butts are monopoly money because it pretends to be money but isn't.

Not to turn this into Litecoin chat, but I set up the CUDA Litecoin miner on my GTX770 during a break at work. Looks like I can get .11 LTC a day which works out to ~$5. Since my utilities are allocated across my whole building and I never pay more than $60 a month, I don't see the harm in running it. Don't think I'll hold on to them, though. I can't imagine this will last too long.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
People still use optical drives? :psyduck:

You should all be procedurally generating ALL your content with a liquid nitrogen cooled GPU cluster.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Stanley Pain posted:

You should all be procedurally generating ALL your content with a liquid nitrogen cooled GPU cluster.

It was a while before I tried Netflix OKAY?

Seriously though, I like commentaries and I like Blu-Ray video quality. TotalMedia Theatre is per-user license, not per-machine, so I can install it on all the PCs I have BR hardware for at a lower marginal cost than a BR player, and I can convert them for my tablet.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Stanley Pain posted:

I still have my HD-DVD/BD player in my machine that I took out of my media pc that I got sick of dealing with, because it seemed like every time a new BD movie came out I needed a new codec. I finally just bought a drat ps3 so I could watch BD without all the hassles. As far as litecoin mining goes, I'm tempted to set something up just to heat my drat house while I'm at work. It's not going to be above freezing here until like Monday.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I could manage an average of about 2kh/s/w with my 780Ti, higher if I downclocked the memory, and I still don't want to do it because I'm not fronting that much real money in electricity costs to speculate on *coins. Yesterday it bubbled and bounced. That's, like, all these markets DO. They're the fastest form of naked capitalism I've ever seen, it's commodities trading in bizarro world. EVERYONE'S INTERESTED NOW'S THE TIME TO GET IN BUY HIGH SELL LOW.

I was going to go in with FactoryFactory because we could both use some spare coin (ha ha ha the joke is ...) but I pay for my electricity and I'd be fronting like $250+ the first month and just hoping it doesn't crunch, which it should, though it probably won't because these people are fruitbat crazy. I don't know what's going to happen to the bitcoin/litecoin/primecoin/sexcoin ETbloodyC. market, but I do know that my wife would throttle me to death with her bare hands if I put $250 down on loving coin mining at Christmas. "But honey, look, the math shows it will pay for itself slightly and then more later!" WE GOTTA MAKE RENT

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Problem is, the 290 isn't great for buttcoin mining. I have 2 6970s and my 7970 still, and my old media pc. Should I start mining buttcoins or just ebay my poo poo before the bubble bursts.
These are litecoins and the 290 is pretty decent at it (about as much faster than a 7970 or whatever at this as it is at doing anything else, as you'd expect), much more efficient than the 7970 etc. at the same time too, and costs the same. No GPU is useful for shitcoin mining any more...

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

My :pcgaming: shenanigans have been PMd.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Is litecoin an offshoot of bitcoin because the market on them crashed or litecoin improved on it significantly or something? Or is it just the same thing but rebranded?

If you can't even break even in America based on power usage then you'd never profit in Australia, our electricity prices are insane. The whole idea continues to sound insane.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Factory Factory posted:

Oh, no, I totally agree. I don't really see all this cryto currency as actual money, but as some kind of other investment. It's risky, because people could realise it's all just been created by a bunch of nerds in their homes, but at the same time, as with bitcoin, it could go up in value, when people see it as a way to move something of accepted value (between some parties) for nothing, avoiding tax structures and conversions between two curriences. A bit like antique you thought was useless, but it turns out was worth a bunch.

In the end, who knows. But people always do crazy poo poo with their money, and sometimes it works out. I just think it's kind of interesting to know what the deal is with it all.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 5, 2013

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug
Also it sounds like even when it's a huge risk to buy GPUs for the sake of mining long-term, using one you already have and seeing how a boom rides out is a lot less to lose.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

cat doter posted:

Is litecoin an offshoot of bitcoin because the market on them crashed or litecoin improved on it significantly or something? Or is it just the same thing but rebranded?

If you can't even break even in America based on power usage then you'd never profit in Australia, our electricity prices are insane. The whole idea continues to sound insane.

Litecoin was made to be more difficult to mine via GPU, which is good for some loving reason. Turns out it's still way more efficient, just maybe an order of magnitude less so, to mine GPGPU than CPU. Oops. Now there's also Primecoin, which REALLY, HONESTLY, PROBABLY, can't be optimized to perform better for wattage on a GPU than a CPU.

These things get made to fix "bugs" in the old system, and to create new ... how to describe it, new ways of approaching the imaginary problem of "how do we create an electronic currency that starts from nothing and builds to something?" The emergent problem that Litecoin and Primecoin address is that Bitcoins, even as difficulty raised up, became too easy to mine, leading to things like the 51%-ownership vulnerability, or the ability to throw a shitload of integer-specialized ASICs with a microcontroller all working in parallel to work off of 500mA at 5v via USB instead of hundreds of watts via PCI-e making what was supposed to be a "currency for everyone" into a currency for the few people who can afford to heavily buy into the requisite hardware to make them.

The other reason that new *coins get made is because the blockchain for old *coins is so damned complex that transactions can take a really long time to validate since it has to wait until a successful hash collision occurs and propagates through the network for verification.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Killer robot posted:

Also it sounds like even when it's a huge risk to buy GPUs for the sake of mining long-term, using one you already have and seeing how a boom rides out is a lot less to lose.

This is honestly the only reason I'm curious. I already have this 290 sitting around, why not see if it can earn me money?

Agreed posted:

Litecoin was made to be more difficult to mine via GPU, which is good for some loving reason. Turns out it's still way more efficient, just maybe an order of magnitude less so, to mine GPGPU than CPU. Oops. Now there's also Primecoin, which REALLY, HONESTLY, PROBABLY, can't be optimized to perform better for wattage on a GPU than a CPU.

These things get made to fix "bugs" in the old system, and to create new ... how to describe it, new ways of approaching the imaginary problem of "how do we create an electronic currency that starts from nothing and builds to something?" The emergent problem that Litecoin and Primecoin address is that Bitcoins, even as difficulty raised up, became too easy to mine, leading to things like the 51%-ownership vulnerability, or the ability to throw a shitload of integer-specialized ASICs with a microcontroller all working in parallel to work off of 500mA at 5v via USB instead of hundreds of watts via PCI-e making what was supposed to be a "currency for everyone" into a currency for the few people who can afford to heavily buy into the requisite hardware to make them.

The other reason that new *coins get made is because the blockchain for old *coins is so damned complex that transactions can take a really long time to validate since it has to wait until a successful hash collision occurs and propagates through the network for verification.

But all these coins exist on the same network and there's nothing to stop people from continuing to use bitcoin and mine with a shitload of ASICs right?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

cat doter posted:

This is honestly the only reason I'm curious. I already have this 290 sitting around, why not see if it can earn me money?

But all these coins exist on the same network and there's nothing to stop people from continuing to use bitcoin and mine with a shitload of ASICs right?

They are traded in the same exchanges, but they don't exist on the same network except in the simple sense that the internet is a big network.

I am hardly an expert on this stuff, you're getting the accumulated knowledge of one night figuring out whether it'd be remotely financially feasible to front real money in electricity for the potential that idiots will just keep percolating this strange commodity. There are probably better people to ask, better places to look, for in-depth information.

Yes, bitcoins still exist and are still sort of the de facto top-level funny money because people pay the most for them, they've been around the longest, they have the highest difficulty to produce new ones, and a primitive infrastructure has sort of developed around using them for things (which is being borrowed from for the other *coin thingies, as they either grow in popularity or don't). Litecoin was made to solve some big-picture issues with bitcoin, and primecoin is the logical conclusion of taking the basic idea of litecoin - "make it harder to mine via GPU, start a new chain but separate from bitcoin so that people can mine the currency without having to hyper-invest" - and delivering better on the concept.

But it's always going to retain the basic flaw that it's just as stupid and "fiat money" as regular money, it just doesn't have the backing of the global financial system, which has the backing of world military force, all tools that ensure that things like the ten-year T-note are actually worth something. These are worth something because THEY SAY SO, and that's pretty much it. Their ideological criticism of fiat money applies to their own money, except theirs is worse, because nobody with a gigantic army, navy, air force, and a stockpile of nukes insists that people will use their currency thank-you-very-much.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

deimos posted:

My :pcgaming: shenanigans have been PMd.

Read and digested and replied with reactions and ideas. Definitely post that and your progress in the open somewhere, maybe the OC thread.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Oh great another awesome problem. It seems my audio interface has died (Uuuuuuuuugh $300 down the drain) so I decided to switch to AMD audio through my video card, and it turns out it doesn't like spitting out audio over the DVI-HDMI cable I use. Going HDMI-HDMI works, obviously, but looks like poo poo, which I may have mentioned.

On my 560ti I could get audio out of the DVI port using the DVI-HDMI cable, so it's not the display. Is it just a limitation on AMD cards? There's no audio output on the DVI ports or something?

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Audio over DVI is 1000% non-standard and depends a lot on who has bothered to do what custom and proprietary bullshit.

Why is HDMI-HDMI shitlooking when DVI-HDMI is not? It's the same video signal.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

cat doter posted:

Oh great another awesome problem. It seems my audio interface has died (Uuuuuuuuugh $300 down the drain) so I decided to switch to AMD audio through my video card, and it turns out it doesn't like spitting out audio over the DVI-HDMI cable I use. Going HDMI-HDMI works, obviously, but looks like poo poo, which I may have mentioned.

On my 560ti I could get audio out of the DVI port using the DVI-HDMI cable, so it's not the display. Is it just a limitation on AMD cards? There's no audio output on the DVI ports or something?

Can't you warranty it because the audio interface died? If you made the original purchase on an Amex Card, you also get an extended (doubled) warranty period.

tjume
Feb 8, 2009
Hi, I'll be switching from a 6870 to a 280x, do I have to clean & reinstall catalyst (running the latest catalyst beta on win7 at the moment)? Or is it enough to just switch cards?

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Audio over DVI is 1000% non-standard and depends a lot on who has bothered to do what custom and proprietary bullshit.

Why is HDMI-HDMI shitlooking when DVI-HDMI is not? It's the same video signal.

I have absolutely no idea, it looks completely different when using the DVI-HDMI cable. It looks closer to what the image is SUPPOSED to look like (ie 1080p image with 1:1 pixel mapping) but it's still off by a bit causing some image issues, especially with white text on a black background.

Going HDMI to HDMI has a very blurry image and the pixel mapping is nowhere near 1:1 and I have to use the underscan settings to fix the image. Fuckin cheap chinese TVs man, I'd save up for a better one but I've got other priorities at the moment.

My fix for this has always been using a DVI to VGA converter, using the TV's VGA port, editing the EDID using phoenix to make it support 1080p (and think it's the native resolution) which produced a near perfect image. I can't do that now though because the R9 290 doesn't support it.

This is super edge casey though.

Shadowhand00 posted:

Can't you warranty it because the audio interface died? If you made the original purchase on an Amex Card, you also get an extended (doubled) warranty period.

The audio interface is like 3-4 years old now and has had some issues for a while now. It would freeze, then the audio would go out completely. My computer would crash if I unplugged it/plugged it back in. Right now it caused a crash when switching songs, my computer wouldn't even boot with it plugged in.

I'll try fiddling around with drivers but my suspicion is that it's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

tjume posted:

Hi, I'll be switching from a 6870 to a 280x,
Uninstall old drivers> turn off pc and install new card> reboot and reinstall latest drivers

Should work fine after that.