Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Making biofuel from triffids would be perfectly thematic. Maybe from the fluid sacs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
The new professions are pretty neat, but why would you ever start Survivor over Backpacker? Having a backpack to start is a much bigger deal than having clean water, given how easy the latter is to find in houses, and how random the former.

The pricing is just weird all around. Why does the Otaku (with zero skills) cost 4 points while the Military Recruit is 3 and the Scoundrel is 2 (both with good items and several combat skills)?

Don't get me wrong, starting as an Otaku with fuzzy cat ears and a cheeseburger is hilarious, but why waste 4 points on a sewing kit when you could just pick Tailor for 1 (and get 4 Tailoring on top of it!)?

I really like the new Failed Android profession, though.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Well, it depends. Personally if I want carrying volume early on I look for deer/skeletons until I get a bone, craft a bone needle and make a duffel bag from window sheets from the shelter. And the professions really aren't balanced based purely on skill/starting items. They've been rebalancing it a bit, but ultimately some are still more for RP purposes than pure survival, really.

Although as much as it pains me to say it, bionic patient is probably a bit too powerful. Metabolic Interchange is one of the best power bionics in the game, and Hydraulic Muscles means that you're strong enough to take on practically anything in melee combat off the bat. Combine the two and a skilled bionic patient can clear a small town on day one, for a mere four points.

E: Oh, another thing that would be fun to have is underwater furniture, for mutant fishman/squidmen.

Inadequately fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 4, 2013

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Inadequately posted:

I've also got some ideas for a farming system, but I think I'd need more time to flesh that out.

I think farming is sort of penned off by the core developers at the moment since it is one of their main goals and they likely don't want people adding random things to the system they're figuring out themselves. I could be wrong though.

Inadequately posted:

Although as much as it pains me to say it, bionic patient is probably a bit too powerful. Metabolic Interchange is one of the best power bionics in the game, and Hydraulic Muscles means that you're strong enough to take on practically anything in melee combat off the bat. Combine the two and a skilled bionic patient can clear a small town on day one, for a mere four points.

Joint Torsion Ratchet or perhaps solar panels would be a much better power system for that profession. They both charge slowly but constantly in the right conditions so it will encourage you to be very limited in your use of bionics but will always recharge eventually.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The main problem is a lack of weaker bionics appropriate for a starting character.

what I want are different "versions" of each kind bionic. Bionic patient would have the crappier metabolic interchange (a lot less efficient) and the crappier strength improvement bionic (maybe powered joints?).

there's sort of a lack of weaker, cheaper, and more "mainstream" bionics right now, they basically are all super-powered ones.

The Otaku costs 4 because its mostly a joke profession, Soldier costs more than Scoundrel because despite the fact that they both get good skills and equipment the soldiers are honestly quite a bit better.

As to farming, I don't think it's penned off at all, there's no one actively working on it to my knowledge.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 4, 2013

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

GlyphGryph posted:

The main problem is a lack of weaker bionics appropriate for a starting character.

what I want are different "versions" of each kind bionic. Bionic patient would have the crappier metabolic interchange (a lot less efficient) and the crappier strength improvement bionic (maybe powered joints?).

there's sort of a lack of weaker, cheaper, and more "mainstream" bionics right now, they basically are all super-powered ones.

The Otaku costs 4 because its mostly a joke profession, Soldier costs more than Scoundrel because despite the fact that they both get good skills and equipment the soldiers are honestly quite a bit better.

As to farming, I don't think it's penned off at all, there's no one actively working on it to my knowledge.

No, I'm fine with Soldier being more than Scoundrel, it's mostly both costing less than Otaku is what I'm confused about. It is in the highest cost tier of professions, which is super weird for an RP profession. It should cost the same as Tailor in my opinion.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

No, I'm fine with Soldier being more than Scoundrel, it's mostly both costing less than Otaku is what I'm confused about. It is in the highest cost tier of professions, which is super weird for an RP profession. It should cost the same as Tailor in my opinion.

The game is punishing you for being an Otaku. And that's how it should be.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
In the end the game is a roguelike, knowledge of the game system and how to manipulate the items you find will hands down trump any advantage or disadvantage mere stats or skills give out. Having professions and such I think are more or less ways to simply and quickly introduce certain mechanics that you might not otherwise have touched (Prostitute showed me how useful crack is as a stimulant, but also showed the horrible negatives of severe drug addictions) or start with items or toys that can make starting options a bit more broad.

One trick I just learned, I always carried a hacksaw around for dismantling vehicles, but I just today found that after (or before) bolt cuttering the wires from a chain link fence you could use the hacksaw on the fence post to turn it into pipes. fences don't stand a chance against me now.

(Don't go ripping up fences everywhere you see or the piles of wires will slow the game down unless you have a beast of a machine)

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Slime posted:

The game is punishing you for being an Otaku. And that's how it should be.

Real life already does that enough. :smith:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Windu posted:

Real life already does that enough. :smith:

<:mad:> Take the hint.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a bunch of constructions which would be very useful for base design, for example it'd be nice if you could cover all of the different types of tile function, so you have:

Visible/Passable: Concrete/rock floors, like normal floors but they can't burn. Made from concrete (rocks + lye powder + hammer and level 2 construction to make concrete mix, then concrete mix + water + shovel in the construction menu to build. Quick construction time and maybe a slightly better travel speed? Should be useable indoors and outdoors. Rock floors are just made of rocks + shovel but they'd take a long time to make (fiddly to put all the rocks in place)

Visible/Impassable: Steel Bars, made of pipes or scrap metal/metal chunks of appropriate quantity, + welder + shovel. Tough to break down (on par with reinforced glass, I'd say) but they don't block scent or smoke/gas. Chain link fences should be buildable indoors also.

Non-visible/passable: Potted plants exhibit this behaviour already, also camo netting, made from rags + string/rope and quick to place up. Useful for camouflaging routes around an area and for making wire fenced areas like public works more secure, should include the option for camo netted wire fences (built on top of a wire fence) or freestanding camo nets (camo net + pipes + shovel).

Non-visible/non-passable: Concrete/rock walls, following the same pattern as concrete/rock floors, concrete is easy to use once you make the mix, rocks take a while but are non-smashable alternatives for the ground floor of a building.

Utility furnishings/tiles: Atomic lights, there are atomic light items already but they only give off one tile of light and are damaged if left outside on paving by acid rain. It'd be nice if you could say, pile 10 plutonium cells and some flashlights into an atomic lamp pole, which would illuminate a good area indefinitely, good for base perimeter lighting or for putting in a workshop. Should be smashable for a chance at components (and radiation poisoning) but you should also be able to walk past it so monsters generally won't do so. Could be found naturally around military bases and bunkers, or in labs.

Glass Roofing: I'm not sure if this is possible? But can you have a tile which is not outside, but still gets lit by daylight? If so that'd be potentially useful for keeping areas suitable for reading/sewing deep inside a structure. Would be made with glass + normal roof materials.

I imagine those would be fairly quick to add if you knew how the construction .jsons worked.

Belasarius
Feb 27, 2002
Don't say anything bad about Bionic Patient, just say things like "I think it is the best profession." "I always choose bionic patient" "It is really useful to start out with those bionics."

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Belasarius posted:

Don't say anything bad about Bionic Patient, just say things like "I think it is the best profession." "I always choose bionic patient" "It is really useful to start out with those bionics."

"I'm Strumpie and Bionic Patient is my favourite profession in Cataclysm." Did I do it right?

As for Bionics in general it's true almost every single one is a major boon to a character.
Lets face it, in reality your consumer level bionics are going to be a spork in your finger and a television in your stomach or something. Not military grade weaponry and survival gear.

I'd like some kind of tiered bionics that can improve/add functionality to a bionic character rather than just CBMs themselves. Sort of like an implant system where the higher grade cyborg you are the more/better CBMs your body can process perhaps?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

I think tweaker needs tweaking.

The amphetamine withdrawal... isn't survivable. Don't know exactly what happens, but at about 1500-1800 heartbeats in you lose around a day and a half's worth of turns. I suspect no one tested amphetamine addiction that high, or it's interacting weirdly with something else.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Does the resonance cascade actually do anything? I died to a swarm of security bots before noticing.

e: I found a pretty awesome vehicle that looks intact, but when I try to refuel it nothing happens. I added a full gallon jug (15 volume) then a whole plastic jerry can (40 volume) but the fuel gauge still says 0%. What's wrong with it?

Infinite Monkeys fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Dec 4, 2013

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Is the fuel tank damaged?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Are you using the nightly, because vehicles and crafting are right tucked at the moment.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Here's something that I've wanted to see added for a long time: Category Select Mode for Inventory, Advanced Inventory and Multidrop Windows. But as they say, if you want something done, you need to do it yourself, so I did.

As for the crafting problem people have had, that was unfortunately my fault. Kevin Granade alerted me to the problem and reversed my commit, so the problem is fixed, but the extended crafting distances are gone. But not to worry, now that I've finished the inventory work, I'm going to fix the crafting problem and have it merged back in.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

is anyone getting killed when they (s)mash zombie corpses sometimes? It'll hang for a minute and then come back to show you that you've been eaten by a cougar while your character stands around for 8 hurs. This is on the latest stable build as well

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

sick trigger posted:

is anyone getting killed when they (s)mash zombie corpses sometimes? It'll hang for a minute and then come back to show you that you've been eaten by a cougar while your character stands around for 8 hurs. This is on the latest stable build as well

How many corpses were you 's'mashing?
The time taken does increase with the number and size of corpses but 8 hours is wildly excessive.

:gizz:

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

tooterfish posted:

I think tweaker needs tweaking.

The amphetamine withdrawal... isn't survivable. Don't know exactly what happens, but at about 1500-1800 heartbeats in you lose around a day and a half's worth of turns. I suspect no one tested amphetamine addiction that high, or it's interacting weirdly with something else.

I once had a character take some amphetamine to get a speed boost to escape some zombies. It provides a really, really strong kick, but the crash afterwards is horrible, it puts you squarely into Exhausted territory. That coupled with the morale and withdrawal penalties taking out a whole day's worth of turns is hilarious since now you get to add dehydrated and famished to the mix.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

Otaku should start with a katana (that breaks in five hits because it's a mail-order POS.)

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

The Lone Badger posted:

Otaku should start with a katana (that breaks in five hits because it's a mail-order POS.)

That would actually own pretty hard.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Strumpie posted:

How many corpses were you 's'mashing?
The time taken does increase with the number and size of corpses but 8 hours is wildly excessive.

just one at a time.
Does strength affect smashing? This might only be happening on the super-low strength hobos I've been playing around with, where the first couple of days are spent on basically zero strength

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Is it possible for a profession to give negative skill levels? You get a real katana, but you have -3 cutting weapons skill. Hilarious roleplaying and a good tradeoff!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The Hobo start is incredible. I'm always fluctuating between being dead drunk or tripping balls. It's exactly how life should be.

Though I really like the Chain Smoker as well. There's tons of tobacco products lying around, and life expectancy is far shorter than what it would take for cancer to set in.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Prostitute is a much easier start than hobo, you can kick a crack addiction in 24-36 in game hours, no delirium, lesser chance of disease. You just need to get as much clean water and food as possible in the 8 or so hours you have before you run out of crack and you're all set.

The King of Swag
Nov 10, 2005

To escape the closure,
is to become the God of Swag.
Just a heads up that I've fixed my 'Qualities & Crafting Distance' change. The problem with the original merge was that I changed how Cataclysm calculated you had enough items available to do crafting, but didn't change how it actually grabbed those items and used them for crafting. In effect, even though it said you had the available items to craft, if they weren't within the default range (2 tiles), it wouldn't actually find and use them, leading to the crafting resources not available error. So in addition to reimplementing all the original functionality, I fixed that issue, the issue with tools not being properly considered as well, and fleshed it out a bit further so that working on a vehicle (adding and removing parts, etc.) also takes into account the proper crafting distances.

I know someone asked earlier in the thread if I could also make it so that crafting inside a vehicle extended your range over the entire vehicle, but I don't think I'm going to implement that, at least not right now. I have two reasons, one technical and one gameplay specific. Namely, part of the reason for the change to begin with was to give an incentive to start using a permanent base over a mobile base, as vehicles up to this point have been superior to permanent bases in every way. That makes me extremely hesitant to go ahead and make a change that would not only erase the only benefit right now to a permanent base, but actually give vehicles a bigger bonus to crafting distance over regular furniture.

The technical reason for not implementing extended crafting distances in vehicles is that furniture and terrain are handled differently than vehicles, and just handling the furniture and terrain are difficult enough at the moment (as can be seen by the fact I had to go back and fix a lot of things). That isn't to say that it can't be done (in fact, there are many things in Cataclysm that need to be worked on that are probably more difficult), but it is another level of complexity to add that I feel is best to add as a later improvement, and not as a singular large change.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

The King of Swag posted:

The technical reason for not implementing extended crafting distances in vehicles is that furniture and terrain are handled differently than vehicles, and just handling the furniture and terrain are difficult enough at the moment (as can be seen by the fact I had to go back and fix a lot of things). That isn't to say that it can't be done (in fact, there are many things in Cataclysm that need to be worked on that are probably more difficult), but it is another level of complexity to add that I feel is best to add as a later improvement, and not as a singular large change.
I like your "press space" to move across the category idea btw. Would it be possible to have the Eat interface allow you to drink/eat multiple items? Same for the disassemble menu (queuing multiple disassemble actions)?
Edit: while i am at it being able to transfer liquid from container A to container B until the recipient container B is full without having to do it one unit per one unit of liquid would be nice too.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 6, 2013

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
And for those of you who get all your news from this thread - I made a video. Live Action Cataclysm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iC8dlT7SFa0

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

GlyphGryph posted:

And for those of you who get all your news from this thread - I made a video. Live Action Cataclysm.

The production values are truly outstanding, New England looks fine this time of year.

I still think you guys are crazy for promising all this live action stuff, but you certainly delivered.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

This is magnificent.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Strumpie posted:

The production values are truly outstanding, New England looks fine this time of year.

I still think you guys are crazy for promising all this live action stuff, but you certainly delivered.

This was by far the easiest and least effort intensive of the rewards aside from the "put names in name list" one.

And this was way, way more fun. I wish I could have made this ALL the rewards. :V

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

GlyphGryph posted:

The skirt was a nice touch.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I think I just found a new favorite thing to do in cataclysm, place some object next to a gas pump, preferably when there's a whole bunch of zombies around, light object on fire and step away quickly. I managed to burn two blocks in 10 mintues this way. Pretty fun.

Mini flamethrower is pretty fun for loving around with burning entire towns when you've got nothing better to do, I found.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Oh god, there's a terrible discussion about firearms on the git now that's making me twitch. I really wish people wouldn't just pull things out of their rear end when it comes to how to make various things. Nevermind the fact that arguing about the realism of making various types of propellant and guns is goofy when everyone is fine with people making cybernetics, mutagen, and complicated repeating crossbows and air rifles.

edit: Man, is it just me or does Keven have the stupidest ideas? I just read his complaints about the crafting from furniture items. Apparently there's no reason why people have shops filled with peg boards and tool boxes! We should just pile stuff on the ground! He's never seen how a gun is made, doesn't know a thing about gunpowder and smokeless powder manufacturing, and apparently hasn't even stepped foot inside of a workshop. What a tool.

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 8, 2013

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Oh god, there's a terrible discussion about firearms on the git now that's making me twitch. I really wish people wouldn't just pull things out of their rear end when it comes to how to make various things. Nevermind the fact that arguing about the realism of making various types of propellant and guns is goofy when everyone is fine with people making cybernetics, mutagen, and complicated repeating crossbows and air rifles.

edit: Man, is it just me or does Keven have the stupidest ideas? I just read his complaints about the crafting from furniture items. Apparently there's no reason why people have shops filled with peg boards and tool boxes! We should just pile stuff on the ground! He's never seen how a gun is made, doesn't know a thing about gunpowder and smokeless powder manufacturing, and apparently hasn't even stepped foot inside of a workshop. What a tool.

Link to the idiocy in action? I'm always up for someone showing they have no clue about weaponry.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Here you go:
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/4913 is the flintlock nerfing and argument.

and this one is Kevin being a tool about the nice pull release on the fixed crafting system so we can start making tool boxes and interesting furnature.:
https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/4904

My favorite part is how in the first he's complaining about the lack of realism in the game for making muzzle loading guns, then turns around and bitches about everyone keeping tools and parts on tables and in boxes.

Apparently his stance on 'realism' is flexible depending on who he's talking to. I think he just hates the players.

Bilal
Feb 20, 2012

Kevin G is the developer who has consistently supported "realism" (which is a nearly meaningless term in video games anyway) over anything too "gamey" ie disregard changes that might be good for balance or just be generally fun if it breaks ~my immersion.~ I disagree with that but honestly I've never seen him say or do anything that's too unreasonable or is over the line.

Although for some reason he added an item into the game, named after himself, that's a grenade that changes your stats when it explodes next to you. I consider that pretty gamey. So maybe I'm getting the sneaking suspicion that his version of "realism" translates to "whatever arbitrary feeling I have about it at the time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It is, and it's terrible. See the tale of two Kevin's, the first complaining that guns are really complicated to make, and the other complaining that we shouldn't be organizing our work areas. The man seems to have some issues.