Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm usually a pretty mellow driver but this loving yield sign on a highway merge is becoming the bane of my existence. Highway moves along pretty good at 40-50mph, a lane merges in from the right with a yield sign, and this quickly becomes a forced right turn lane after that. I make this right turn on my commute every day, and easily 90% of people have do not yield and just dart across to the middle lane. Maybe half use their left turn signal while doing this.

They even put a huge electronic sign at the bottom of this ramp early this year that flashes YIELD TO HIGHWAY TRAFFIC NOT A MERGE LANE but no, this is still completely lost on 90% of drivers. I can count on leaning on my horn almost daily to someone trying to force their way while going 20mph slower than the highway traffic. Why? What is so mysterious about this yield sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

TheFrailNinja posted:

Are you guys serious? I love every generation of these things that I've driven. The first generation is getting a little worse for wear at this point, but still. Maybe it's because my experience with them is exclusively at 15mph or less, but I think they're great. Maybe it's that car-like handling you guys are talking about that makes them so nice to drive. The newest generation is especially great, as with all of the new Fords that are rolling out.

You aren't security at my job are you? They've got a second gen that they cruise around in after they managed to beat a Cherokee half to death. I can't speak for the newer ones but the low mileage first gen I drove was like being in a horse cart made from Tonka toy plastic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Michael Scott posted:

In many states simply displaying a firearm, especially having it in your hands around another person is a misdemeanor called "brandishing" or something, and might also be considered a threat. You're lucky he didn't call the cops, but I'm sure you know that.

example in VA, a notoriously lax state: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-282

In Florida we have the 10-20-life rule; automatic 10, 20 and 25-life sentences for pulling (or displaying I'm sure) a gun, discharging one, or shooting someone, respectively, during any criminal incident. So if the guy flashed his AK, even accidentally, and wound up punching the dude (assault), that's an automatic 10 year sentence, even before other considerations that could make it longer; the judge by state law cannot prescribe a sentence more lenient than that.

Of course it conflicts with Stand Your Ground, etc. Still, something to think about, as I'm sure other states have similar things.

I personally am anti-gun full stop, but even the staunchest advocates I don't think would approve of showing your hot steel to put some road rager in their place.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

TheFrailNinja posted:

Are you guys serious? I love every generation of these things that I've driven. The first generation is getting a little worse for wear at this point, but still. Maybe it's because my experience with them is exclusively at 15mph or less, but I think they're great. Maybe it's that car-like handling you guys are talking about that makes them so nice to drive. The newest generation is especially great, as with all of the new Fords that are rolling out.

I will say the new ones are decent little crossover things. The older generations are plasticy crap wagons, though.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Fucknag posted:

In Florida we have the 10-20-life rule; automatic 10, 20 and 25-life sentences for pulling (or displaying I'm sure) a gun, discharging one, or shooting someone, respectively, during any criminal incident. So if the guy flashed his AK, even accidentally, and wound up punching the dude (assault), that's an automatic 10 year sentence, even before other considerations that could make it longer; the judge by state law cannot prescribe a sentence more lenient than that.

Of course it conflicts with Stand Your Ground, etc. Still, something to think about, as I'm sure other states have similar things.

I personally am anti-gun full stop, but even the staunchest advocates I don't think would approve of showing your hot steel to put some road rager in their place.

Florida is stupid and has stupid laws.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

CharlesM posted:

Maybe there was an animal you couldn't see?

Nope, no animal - the way the road curves before the light, I had a clear view of the path in front of her. Just a dumbass thinking she's the only one who needs or deserves to get through the light.

Also, I ALMOST got to work this morning without incident. I was actually remarking this fact to myself while on the last road to the business park where I work. There was a single car in front of me, an entrance to the parking lot of one of the businesses there, and then the entrance to the parking lot to my workplace. The car in front of me slows, slows, slows, then STOPS for a second before THEN turning its blinker on, taking an extremely wide right turn into that first entrance, completely in the oncoming lane.

Sure, I could understand it if someone was lost or didn't know where they needed to go, but I've seen that car multiple times on the commute in the morning.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Seattle is currently experiencing cold air from the Arctic, so it's colder than normal for the rest of the week. This morning, when I went to start my car at 6:00am, it was 20F out and everything was frozen. Once I got out onto the highway, I passed a late model silver Hyuandi in the center lane, doing about 45mph, in full tank commander mode. She hadn't scraped any of her windows, and she didn't even bother to turn on her rear defrost. All she had was a tiny hole towards the bottom of the windshield that she could peer through and see forward. Her mirrors were frozen and her lights were off as well.

Just amazes me how people just get in their car and go. I started my car early, got it warmed up, defrosted the windows and scraped what wouldn't defrost before I got out on the road. Can't these people take a few seconds and clear their windows so I dunno, they can see out of them?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Significant numbers of people in Alaska (and probably other snowy regions, but Alaska is the only one I've actually lived in) are incapable of clearing off their windows and they live with snow 9 months out of the year. So expecting it where snow is a rarity is expecting too much. :v:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Denver finally got the opposite of its usual "half inch of snow so let's all go 30". We got a few inches of snow that was melted with mag-chloride, so the roads were just wet last night for the most part. Cue the arctic freeze to drop it to ten below in the city, and it turned into sheet ice this morning. But the roads still looked clear, so everyone was driving like god drat maniacs, at 40-50 mph at times.

I got stuck in the snarls behind 4 separate accidents this morning, took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to go 50 miles. I-225 was a loving skating rink, some of the scariest driving I've ever done. I should have just stayed home.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Fucknag posted:

Some states include your car under the stand your ground law. :pedo:

So you come up on someone in their car and or truck in some states in a threatening manner, and don't be surprised what happens. Hell, a guy stiffed a cabbie, cabbie chased the guy down, guy pulled a knife on the cabbie, cabbie took the guy's knife and loving killed the dude with his own knife and it was ruled justified.

Now let's stop gun chat and get back to your normal thread about bitching about bro-trucks. :yotj:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why melting the snow is a terrible idea, as soon as you fall behind on salting everything ices up. In areas that get persistent snow, they just plow a smooth patch of ice and let everyone use studded tires. :v:

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Solar Coaster posted:

Seattle is currently experiencing cold air from the Arctic, so it's colder than normal for the rest of the week. This morning, when I went to start my car at 6:00am, it was 20F out and everything was frozen. Once I got out onto the highway, I passed a late model silver Hyuandi in the center lane, doing about 45mph, in full tank commander mode. She hadn't scraped any of her windows, and she didn't even bother to turn on her rear defrost. All she had was a tiny hole towards the bottom of the windshield that she could peer through and see forward. Her mirrors were frozen and her lights were off as well.

Just amazes me how people just get in their car and go. I started my car early, got it warmed up, defrosted the windows and scraped what wouldn't defrost before I got out on the road. Can't these people take a few seconds and clear their windows so I dunno, they can see out of them?

Maybe she was a chipmunk driver and that's all she ever uses anyway.

Speaking of which, chipmunks give me the rage. I had a chipmunk a long time ago come up on me with her brights on and tailgated me, so instead of getting all mad and ragy, I started to slow down. Pretty soon, I'm doing loving 20 mph in a 55 and I'm full on :psyduck: because she keeps on tailgating me. Nobody else is around. This is in Nevada, so yeah, I can see that nobody else is around, which is why I felt safe in slowing down to 20 in a 55. Finally I changed lanes INTO THE FAST LANE and the chipmunk drove off.

That's right, she tailgated me on a road with two lanes and didn't even think of passing me. I just remember looking at her when she passed me, her eyes, face, nothing moved to the left or right and if she was any closer to the steering wheel, she'd been nibbling on the fucker.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

Michael Scott posted:

In many states simply displaying a firearm, especially having it in your hands around another person is a misdemeanor called "brandishing" or something, and might also be considered a threat. You're lucky he didn't call the cops, but I'm sure you know that.

example in VA, a notoriously lax state: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-282

Also you can still get a brandishing charge in these states if you brandish while being held at gunpoint by a stranger, don't ask how I know this.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I walk to work and when I hear honking, there is a 90% chance it is someone honking at someone else for not doing something that would directly cause an accident.

Someone is signaling a right turn and is waiting for the crosswalk to clear so he doesn't run over pedestrians. Better give him a honk!

Someone doesn't want to turn left through 3 lanes of busy traffic and is waiting for a break in traffic? Not on my watch! *Honk* *Honk*

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've made a habit out of tapping my horn when someone does something lovely. Blazing through a parking lot, crossing lanes? Beep beep motherfucker. Trying to change lanes while stopped at a red light? Same deal. Passing me while I'm going the speed limit just so you can rush to a stop sign and make you turn 3 seconds sooner? Honk!

I don't lay into it, it's a short honk to let them know I think they're being dumb. My hope is that it makes them feel ashamed of their behavior and next time they think about how their decisions effect people around them.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

xzzy posted:

I don't lay into it, it's a short honk to let them know I think they're being dumb. My hope is that it makes them feel ashamed of their behavior and next time they think about how their decisions effect people around them.

I can confirm being honked at definitely makes me feel bad about my bad decisions.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

I once had a guy in an E36 follow me. It started when I passed him on the left while he was going below the speed limit. I completed the pass and pulled in front of him, I think being passed by a Fiesta insulted him. He then pulled next to me like he wanted to race. I just ignored him and he stayed there to the point in the road where the left lane became a left turn only before going down to one lane. At this point I just held my lane and speed when he was forced over behind me and laid on the horn like it was my fault. At this point I pulled into a parking lot and let him go by but he waited for me up the road and started following again after I pulled out. At this point I decided I was going to have some fun. So I started driving to the nearest dirt road that I knew was covered with potholes that could gently caress up his lovely lowered BMW. Before I got there I guess he lost his nerve and stopped following me.

devmd01 posted:

I'm part of that 10%, and I take that responsibility very seriously. The biggest part of that responsibility is to de-escalate in any situation.

I think it goes without saying that you also do your best not to get into a bad situation in the first place. If there is a place I don't feel safe in anyway going without carrying I won't go there when I am either.

razorscooter posted:

I will say the new ones are decent little crossover things. The older generations are plasticy crap wagons, though.

My mom has a ’13 SEL and I think it’s very nice. I don’t have any experience with older ones though. It drives like a car and has plenty of power with the 2.0 EcoBoost. There haven’t even been any issues with the My Ford Touch that a lot of people seem to complain about.

My mom does complain that it doesn’t seem “tough” enough even though she never goes off road or hauls more than a few bags of soil. Her last car was a ‘96 S-10 Blazer so I guess it seemed tough. It was difficult to get her to get rid of it even though it was falling apart and the 700R4 was starting to feel off (the 4.3 was fine of course). It was also hard to convince her to buy something that is basically a car since small SUVs based off of trucks basically don’t exist anymore. What is with the desire to sit up high in everything?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

SFH1989 posted:

What is with the desire to sit up high in everything?

Better visibility? Disregarding potential height advantage over other vehicles, a little extra height goes a long way when it comes to seeing what's going on.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
My horn does not work.
a 300watt PA system would though.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica

beepo posted:

I walk to work and when I hear honking, there is a 90% chance it is someone honking at someone else for not doing something that would directly cause an accident.

Someone is signaling a right turn and is waiting for the crosswalk to clear so he doesn't run over pedestrians. Better give him a honk!

Someone doesn't want to turn left through 3 lanes of busy traffic and is waiting for a break in traffic? Not on my watch! *Honk* *Honk*

The only situation outside of imminent accident I honk for is when people stop in the middle of the road for no reason. There's one road in particular I drive down almost every day which (understandably) has confusing addresses and a ton of blind driveways, and people seem to think it's acceptable to park their giant mom tank infiniti/mercedes SUV's in the middle of the road with hazards on to figure out where they are. Instead of yknow, pulling over to the shoulder or pulling into a driveway/neighborhood for a few minutes. It sounds ridiculous but I run into this at least once a week.

I do a lot of horn taps though, most of which are to give people who are texting at lights a heads up that the light changed. Or if someone is being a complete pussy about taking a yield left I'll give them a little blip every time they miss a gap. I'm not really a dick about it though, I give people plenty of time to figure it out for themselves before they get a blip.

Oh yeah, to the dude posting the dashcam videos of kirkland, have you noticed how many people have been driving black/silver cars at night without lights now that it's getting dark early? I've never seen another place in my life that is so full of oblivious drivers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

My horn does not work.

One of my secret desires is to someday install a train horn in a compact passenger car.

I know I'm far from the first person to have thought of this as you can find many youtube videos of it being done, but I need to do it myself. It's especially "important" because they give cheap cars such wimpy horns and no one takes me seriously. :smith:

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Better visibility? Disregarding potential height advantage over other vehicles, a little extra height goes a long way when it comes to seeing what's going on.

I daily drove my F-150 for almost seven years and when I bought my Fiesta I really didn't notice anything. I just don't get people who buy an SUV with the only goal to be able to sit up high.

cursedshitbox posted:

My horn does not work.

I want to get a train horn just to honk at people using thier phone while they're driving.

SFH1989 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Dec 5, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

SFH1989 posted:

I daily drove my F-150 for almost seven years and when I bought my Fiesta I really didn't notice anything. I just don't get people who buy an SUV with the only goal to be abble to sit up high.

I feel like I'm driving a tiny lowrider when I switch over to my one ton from my big truck.

Drunken Lullabies
Aug 1, 2006

by Debbie Metallica
When I first started smoking weed I got "pulled over" by a white explorer with a PA system when I was borrowing my friend's car and it ended up being his dealer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Before my V70 was crushed I gave the horns to my little brother for his Spitfire. :3:

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Oh yeah, to the dude posting the dashcam videos of kirkland, have you noticed how many people have been driving black/silver cars at night without lights now that it's getting dark early? I've never seen another place in my life that is so full of oblivious drivers.

I'm really not liking the trend of "murdered out" all matte black cars. Generally I see this on more expensive cars so we get the great combo of difficult to see and driving too fast.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

beepo posted:

I'm really not liking the trend of "murdered out" all matte black cars. Generally I see this on more expensive cars so we get the great combo of difficult to see and driving too fast.

I get so irrationally angry every time I see a car with blacked out tail lights.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Came out of Fry's after stopping to pick up a cable and found this in front of my Rangie. It was too far forward to be from my truck(for once). Looking a little closer it appears some dumbass pulled right into the front of my car and got themselves a little coolant leak for their efforts. A small ding on the upright of the brush guard and a bit of missing paint is all I got. Yea for $2K Range Rovers!

Yes, I'm one of those Xmas wreath wearing types. Been doing it for over 20 years. Not stopping now.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This evening I saw someone back out of a parking space into a van's front bumper, and there was something about the way he did it that screamed a sense of "yeah, well, he should park all the way into the bay, shouldn't he?" righteous indignation. Never mind that there was no way that thing was going to be able to get any deeper into the space, they were being distinctly miserly when they laid out the carpark. Told the van's driver, but all they'd done was dislodge a reflector, and he clearly wasn't bothered about it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Armacham posted:

I get so irrationally angry every time I see a car with blacked out tail lights.

It's not irrational to be angry at them, though.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

InitialDave posted:

This evening I saw someone back out of a parking space into a van's front bumper, and there was something about the way he did it that screamed a sense of "yeah, well, he should park all the way into the bay, shouldn't he?" righteous indignation. Never mind that there was no way that thing was going to be able to get any deeper into the space, they were being distinctly miserly when they laid out the carpark. Told the van's driver, but all they'd done was dislodge a reflector, and he clearly wasn't bothered about it.

If they didn't leave a note, couldn't you have gotten their plate number and called the cops? :) Careless driving or parking like that shouldn't be tolerated, and that still counts as a damage and run.

e: Nevermind, I guess there wasn't any real damage.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When I was younger and dumber, I was loving around with my radio after starting my truck. I was just idling there, foot off the brake with the clutch pressed because I was all set to go once I finished swapping tapes. Few seconds later I felt this light tap as I bumped into a truck that was behind me. Apparently the parking lot wasn't completely flat and I'd started rolling. :downs:

I did stick around long enough to check for damage but as a scared 18 year old as soon as I realized that no one saw me do it and there were no scratches on the other truck, I hauled rear end out of there.

Kids are loving dumb.

Doccers
Aug 15, 2000

Patron Saint of Chickencheese

LloydDobler posted:

Denver finally got the opposite of its usual "half inch of snow so let's all go 30". We got a few inches of snow that was melted with mag-chloride, so the roads were just wet last night for the most part. Cue the arctic freeze to drop it to ten below in the city, and it turned into sheet ice this morning. But the roads still looked clear, so everyone was driving like god drat maniacs, at 40-50 mph at times.

I got stuck in the snarls behind 4 separate accidents this morning, took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to go 50 miles. I-225 was a loving skating rink, some of the scariest driving I've ever done. I should have just stayed home.

I couldn't even get the Jeep started this morning (battery cables need replacing), so I fired up the Volvo, and I'm damned glad I did. People actually slow down and pay attention when they get close to it for some reason.

Also the extra tire contact never hurts, didn't slide one bit even with cars in the ditch all along the commute.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

InitialDave posted:

This evening I saw someone back out of a parking space into a van's front bumper, and there was something about the way he did it that screamed a sense of "yeah, well, he should park all the way into the bay, shouldn't he?" righteous indignation. Never mind that there was no way that thing was going to be able to get any deeper into the space, they were being distinctly miserly when they laid out the carpark.

I was towards the back of the spot as evidenced by the end of the line in the lower right of the pic. They had to pull into my spot to hit me. The aisles are really quite wide in this lot too. You could do a 3 point turn in the middle of them between cars. My Rover is 7+ feet tall and white. How do you miss that right in front of you? I just don't get it. I ain't even the slightest mad though as that brush guard already is scratched to hell as you can see.

Now it seems I need to keep the dash cam running even when I'm not in the drat car.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
that rover just keeps eating cars :neckbeard:

I wouldn't need train horns with a PA system. Hell. I don't even need that. All I need is for my power window switch to not be flaky in true british nature.

I scared the poo poo out of some guy doing an Illegal Uturn infront of me (on a bicycle) and 10 or so other cars. got right beside his closed window and yelled at him. dude pulled over and stopped.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Michael Scott posted:

e: Nevermind, I guess there wasn't any real damage.
Yeah, I clocked his plate, but it's not my place to chase something up if the guy who was hit doesn't care.

Kill-9 posted:

I ain't even the slightest mad though as that brush guard already is scratched to hell as you can see.
There are few things short of a negative result from a pregnancy test which cause such obvious relief to spread across someone's face as when, after they hit you, you get out, look at the damage, shrug, and wander off.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

If you ever come across a genuine GDE aluminum winch bumper you let me know. I missed a cheap one on Craigslist in town by a few minutes last year and am still pissed about that one. I really like the look and they seem more sturdy than you'd think an aluminum brush guard would be.

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
I popped out to the dentist this morning (filling fell out). Got tail-gated by a Sandy Toksvig looking lady in a Nissan Note on the way there. That's a new one. Maybe the Audi's being serviced.
Mr Dentist fixed my filling for free as I'd recently had a check up and he thinks he should have spotted it or something. Nice guy.
As I'm leaving a lady comes in all in a flap and asks the receptionist "can I park on the yellow hatched bit or is it like fascist Greenland here?"
"Don't worry madam", I say, "I'm off now so you can just pull in to my space".
Off I gently caress. Cheerful waves all round and I've been in a good mood all day now. :tipshat:

When do the drugs wear off?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

cursedshitbox posted:

I wouldn't need train horns with a PA system. Hell. I don't even need that. All I need is for my power window switch to not be flaky in true british nature.

I scared the poo poo out of some guy doing an Illegal Uturn infront of me (on a bicycle) and 10 or so other cars. got right beside his closed window and yelled at him. dude pulled over and stopped.

I liked my lack of horn solution in one of my old mr2's, just hit the clutch and floor the gas. The ~3ft long exhaust that ended with a supertrap tended to get peoples attention pretty well. I remember making some pedestrian how thought it was a good idea to try and j-walk directly in front of my car( If they hadnt stopped I probably would have hit them because there was no other option) jump about a foot in the air when i hit the gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kill-9 posted:

If you ever come across a genuine GDE aluminum winch bumper you let me know. I missed a cheap one on Craigslist in town by a few minutes last year and am still pissed about that one. I really like the look and they seem more sturdy than you'd think an aluminum brush guard would be.

I'll keep an eye out. I see them occasionally. I last saw one when I bought the red rover.

Cats are oil clogged in my rover. Best solution for a tail gating prius? Drop it to 3rd on the freeway and get revs over 4500. smokes like tire fire.