Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

MikeJF posted:

I thought you could for the i5 too, just not the i3.
There's not even an i3 option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

Martytoof posted:

So obviously you said you'd prefer not to go Lenovo but you mostly described my T440s. High-ish res at 1080p, HD4400 won't play a ton of games at high but it should let you run some AAA games at low res, at least some of the good ones from the past few years.

I've been using mine for MATLAB and watching the Reddit /r/hockey VLC streams and it works great. Can't stress how important a high res screen is for stuff like MATLAB, excel, coding, etc.

I'm thinking T440s also. I really only want to be able to play steam games and stuff. No FPS.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

schemie posted:

My C720 should get here today. I was looking into a yoga 2 pro then I decided that all I was going to use it for was dicking around on the internet while I watch tv. Decided to try out a chromebook. The new haswell micro architecture is supposed to be pretty snappy.

You can run linux and chromeos at the same time and switch between them with keystrokes if there is something you need to do that chromeos can't handle.

I have a nice desktop for any gaming or system intensive stuff. Can also remote into it if I need to.

Once I use it for a week I'll post how well this decision worked out.

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now and I'm a big fan. The build quality seems great for the price and the battery life has been great for me. There's a helpful crouton group on google+ if you need any help with the Linux side of things.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

There's not even an i3 option.

Weird, the Thinkpad Yoga Australia is totally different. We get a single i3, i5 and i7 option and independent memory settings.

Black Hole Bowser
Dec 31, 2007
plunderer of outer space

Martytoof posted:

So obviously you said you'd prefer not to go Lenovo but you mostly described my T440s. High-ish res at 1080p, HD4400 won't play a ton of games at high but it should let you run some AAA games at low res, at least some of the good ones from the past few years.

I've been using mine for MATLAB and watching the Reddit /r/hockey VLC streams and it works great. Can't stress how important a high res screen is for stuff like MATLAB, excel, coding, etc.
The T440s looks like exactly what I need, and you're even using the same hockey streams :canada:. I don't know how I missed that before. If you have the extended battery, is there any chance you could snap a picture of it? The dimensions are listed but it would be nice to see first.

I've emailed back the sales rep saying that if I can get one of those with a comparable discount to the black friday deal I was using and get a firm shipping date then I'll stick with them despite having my first order cancelled after a week with absolutely no notification or change in order status. No idea if I'll have any luck, but it would be nice.

I'm still open to other suggestions if anyone else wants to chime in.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I wonder if their website is just poo poo and you order your BTO laptop over the phone, all of the options are avalible?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Black Hole Bowser posted:

The T440s looks like exactly what I need, and you're even using the same hockey streams :canada:. I don't know how I missed that before. If you have the extended battery, is there any chance you could snap a picture of it? The dimensions are listed but it would be nice to see first.

I've emailed back the sales rep saying that if I can get one of those with a comparable discount to the black friday deal I was using and get a firm shipping date then I'll stick with them despite having my first order cancelled after a week with absolutely no notification or change in order status. No idea if I'll have any luck, but it would be nice.

I'm still open to other suggestions if anyone else wants to chime in.

Unfortunately I just have the standard battery, though that and the internal battery get me through a good part of an 8 hour work day with my screen at like 75% max brightness and wifi on and used. Obviously processor intensive stuff like MATLAB will kill that a lot faster. I would definitely recommend you pick up an 8GB DDR3L 1.35v stick of RAM to supplement the 4GB in there now if you'll be doing anything that isn't just MS Office/web browsing/etc and you should be pretty futureproofed :)

And yeah, Lenovo is just plain terrible during the order process. I think once you get past the initial bad taste in your mouth you'll come around to Lenovo :)

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Lenovo is an average computer company with a bad website who make mostly average computers. Thinkpad computers are very good and have excellent US service because their design teams are separate and their service is run by IBM, though now there's been a significant reorg and more Lenovo suits are going into Thinkpad (and it shows).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Also hopefully you never need drivers again because man is that a mess.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Aphrodite posted:

Also hopefully you never need drivers again because man is that a mess.

How so? I've found everything fairly easy to find and if you can't be bothered the Lenovo Update app works fine.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

dissss posted:

How so? I've found everything fairly easy to find and if you can't be bothered the Lenovo Update app works fine.

Sometimes the support site doesn't work. At all.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Hadlock posted:

I wonder if their website is just poo poo and you order your BTO laptop over the phone, all of the options are avalible?

I've actually ordered a Thinkpad over the phone before due to website fuckups, and it was surprisingly painless. Especially compared to the website.

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe
There is a definite difference between the B&N Gold store and the regular site. Load times seem 5x as long for everything.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
Are there any recommendations for a laptop bag? Y510p is the computer. I need/want to take a wired mouse with me. Also need some personal storage space in the bag [pad of paper, pen, some prescription bottles, keys, wallet, sunglasses].

I looked for a megathread on the subject since it seems like there would be one, but I didn't find it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Aphrodite posted:

Sometimes the support site doesn't work. At all.

Never had it fail for me. HP on the other hand...

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I'm looking for a new laptop, and whereas 7 years ago I'd say Lenovo, I haven't been looking at the laptop market for a long time and need advice. Primary requirements include native linux drivers for ease of dual booting windows/ubuntu, preferrably made of some sort of adamantium/mithril alloy (but I'll settle for carbon fiber if that's any good), and a graphics solution a step above embedded Intel chips, because I hear they somehow still suck after ten solid years of sucking.

For comparison, my last laptop was a Lenovo IdeaPad G550s, bought in 2006. I pick it up by the screen, have spilled more than one beverage on it, and the DVD drive fell out years ago and I haven't plugged the hole since. Other than replacing the disk drive with an SSD, no real issues, and I use it as a daily beater.

What should I be looking at?

edit: Forgot the use case. I'm a web developer, and I want to have a reasonable expectation of getting work done while not at home, and I also want to be able to play spelunky in bed. I'm looking for upper middle range options because I'm tired of a dev environment that can't restore a database in anything less than 20 minutes, and the 2006'ers screen size is finally making me claustrophobic.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 5, 2013

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

tijag posted:

Are there any recommendations for a laptop bag? Y510p is the computer. I need/want to take a wired mouse with me. Also need some personal storage space in the bag [pad of paper, pen, some prescription bottles, keys, wallet, sunglasses].

I looked for a megathread on the subject since it seems like there would be one, but I didn't find it.

I've debated opening a megathread just for this kind of discussion...

So I ordered a Timbuk2 D-Lux this past week. They make it in 3 sizes, the largest of which can supposedly handle more than a y510p. It's currently $139 for a Large.

The company and their products are well regarded from everything I can dig up.

It arrives this Monday, I can post a review of it if you'd like.

Edit:

Cheekio posted:

a graphics solution a step above embedded Intel chips, because I hear they somehow still suck after ten solid years of sucking.

Whoever told you that, they were trying to play something much more intensive than Spelunky. Last gen Intel chips introduced HD4000, a graphics option able to play Source games without issues. This gen has HD4600, an improvement in every sense of the word. It can manage Skyrim at 720p and low settings with 62FPS.

What is your price range?

P.N.T.M. fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 5, 2013

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

P.N.T.M. posted:

I've debated opening a megathread just for this kind of discussion...

So I ordered a Timbuk2 D-Lux this past week. They make it in 3 sizes, the largest of which can supposedly handle more than a y510p. It's currently $139 for a Large.

The company and their products are well regarded from everything I can dig up.

It arrives this Monday, I can post a review of it if you'd like.

I ended up ordering a Chrome Buran and I'm not sure when it will come.

Hopefully I like it. Costs a bit more than the bag you linked, supposedly indestructible. I like the idea of the integrated padded/zippered laptop area.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

tijag posted:

Hopefully I like it. Costs a bit more than the bag you linked, supposedly indestructible. I like the idea of the integrated padded/zippered laptop area.

I also have a Chrome Buran and love it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
I was googling the whole "SLI Ultrabay" options for the y410p, and it seems like it's not compatible with the 750M y510p Ultrabay. Also it seems like there will never be an option for the y410p.

James The 1st posted:

What do you guys think about cooling pads? Are they effective, or is the good old "stack laptop on books" good enough for keeping fan airflow going?
I have one and it's pretty good, lowers the temperature of the laptop by 12c. Keep in mind that it's blowing cold air on your lap and it can get a little chilly.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So my laptop's HDD failed last night, and being in a situation where I'm simultaneously poor and not really able to wait for computer access, I'm planning on heading to Best Buy and picking up an Acer C720 Chromebook. I've done a little reading and it seems like I'll be able to do everything I need to in Chrome OS or at the very least be able to dual boot into something else like Debian, but the pre-installed SSD is tiny. For anyone who has replaced their SSD recently, what are good options these days? Or is this more a question for the SSD thread?

Also, for anyone who has a 2013 Chromebook, what are your general impressions? I hear the C720 is ugly and feels cheap, but it is rocking Haswell architecture where most others are still on ARM. Is there a Chromebook thread that I missed looking through the forum?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tijag posted:

My laptop bag was also made of Cordura nylon back in 2000 for my Powerbook G4 and it still looks brand new, if you're going to get a laptop bag that will last you four or five laptops, that's the brand of fabric you want yours made out of.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mutation posted:

I was googling the whole "SLI Ultrabay" options for the y410p, and it seems like it's not compatible with the 750M y510p Ultrabay. Also it seems like there will never be an option for the y410p.

An SLI configuration was available with the initial release of the Y410p, but not enough people bought them to justify keeping that option on the website. Thus, the Y410p should be compatible with the Y510p ultrabay SLI card, because those are interchangeable, but I guess it's always possible that the newer Y410ps don't support SLI at all for some reason. I think that's unlikely, since it would cost money to disable that feature and there's not really a good reason to do it.

It's going to be difficult to get any answers, though, because so few people are willing to pay extra for SLI laptops (because that's a highly specialized and often stupid configuration)

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Philip Rivers posted:

So my laptop's HDD failed last night, and being in a situation where I'm simultaneously poor and not really able to wait for computer access, I'm planning on heading to Best Buy and picking up an Acer C720 Chromebook. I've done a little reading and it seems like I'll be able to do everything I need to in Chrome OS or at the very least be able to dual boot into something else like Debian, but the pre-installed SSD is tiny. For anyone who has replaced their SSD recently, what are good options these days? Or is this more a question for the SSD thread?

Also, for anyone who has a 2013 Chromebook, what are your general impressions? I hear the C720 is ugly and feels cheap, but it is rocking Haswell architecture where most others are still on ARM. Is there a Chromebook thread that I missed looking through the forum?

Any reason you just don't buy a new hard drive locally or pay for 1 day shipping online?

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Calidus posted:

Any reason you just don't buy a new hard drive locally or pay for 1 day shipping online?

I don't have an external drive enclosure and my laptop doesn't have an optical drive. Getting an OS reinstalled would be a pain and I'd rather study for finals than spend all day configuring my PC.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

tijag posted:

I don't know if you're looking for a messenger bag or a backpack (I recommend backpacks because that way you distribute weight over both of your shoulders), but my girlfriend bought an ECBC Hercules backpack and it is amazing. Very solidly built, holds a heck of a lot of stuff (she took at least a whole change of clothes in the bag along with other things), is comfortable, and if you find yourself traveling through airports often the ability to just fold down the laptop compartment and send the whole pack through is just plain nice.

http://www.ec-bc.com/backpacks/k7-backpacks/hercules-laptop-backpack-k7102/

http://www.techhive.com/article/2041611/review-the-hercules-is-another-stand-out-bag-from-ecbc.html

I would've considered getting one myself if I hadn't inherited a so-so backpack that does the job, at the very least.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 5, 2013

P.N.T.M.
Jan 14, 2006

tiny dinosaurs
Fun Shoe

tijag posted:

That looks sweet as hell. Sounds like you're set.

Anyone want to contribute to a list of companies that sell worthwhile bags?

Chrome just got backed up by a stellar review right in this thread.

ECBC too,

Anyone else?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

For laptop sleeves/bags I high recommend Waterfield https://www.sfbags.com

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Philip Rivers posted:

I don't have an external drive enclosure and my laptop doesn't have an optical drive. Getting an OS reinstalled would be a pain and I'd rather study for finals than spend all day configuring my PC.

These days it's surprisingly easy to install Windows (or any recent OS not made by Apple) from a memory stick, provided you have one of those. But figuring it out and configuring things probably would take a day, yeah

Anti-Derivative
Aug 12, 2003
Beware of Squirrel

snoozeallday posted:

I'm thinking T440s also. I really only want to be able to play steam games and stuff. No FPS.

The UK T440s (it has the nvidia 7xxM) runs Dota 2 at 1080p at high settings (AA turned off) with a good framerate. The US 440s does not appear to offer separate graphics, you need to go for the 440p for that.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

Philip Rivers posted:

The C720 is fantastic, compared to something like the Chromebook 11 sure it may not be the best looking thing but it's by far the most functional Chromebook, it runs Ubuntu extremely well to the point people have it running Steam Linux games fairly well.

Unfortunatly the SSD is the M.2/NGFF form factor which are not overly common at this point, people have been successfully replacing them with these fine however: http://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-Super-Cache-Solid-State/dp/B00EZ2E8KC

That said though if you're going to go through getting it running Ubuntu and upgrading the SSD you're going to be spending a similar amount of time as you would be replacing the HDD in your current laptop.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

Anti-Derivative posted:

The UK T440s (it has the nvidia 7xxM) runs Dota 2 at 1080p at high settings (AA turned off) with a good framerate. The US 440s does not appear to offer separate graphics, you need to go for the 440p for that.

Whats the deal with separate versions in other countries?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
Any news on the Yoga 2 Pro yellows fix? I installed the power management thing and it looks better but also much darker, as others have mentioned. It's even worse when I turn off the automatic brightness adjustment.

It's not too bad but I'm sort of hoping they aren't giving up on it. I hate auto brightness but I have to deal with it otherwise it's way too dark.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

internet inc posted:

Any news on the Yoga 2 Pro yellows fix? I installed the power management thing and it looks better but also much darker, as others have mentioned. It's even worse when I turn off the automatic brightness adjustment.

It's not too bad but I'm sort of hoping they aren't giving up on it. I hate auto brightness but I have to deal with it otherwise it's way too dark.

Turn off auto brightness and manually turn up the brightness? The thing still gets pretty bright, just slightly less eye-searingly bright as before the update.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I just turned off auto brightness and it's perfect.

I remembered things wrong when I wrote my last post. It should have read: when I turn off auto brightness, the yellows turn brownish like before the update so I have to deal with either crappy yellows or the annoying auto brightness.

I don't know why it's working properly right now. I hope it stays like this. It's briiiiiiiight! :)

Thanks.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

Why isn't anyone except apple using HD5000+ graphics?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

snoozeallday posted:

Why isn't anyone except apple using HD5000+ graphics?

Apple quite literally bought the first six months' worth of Haswell mobile chip production, in cash, in advance to get a head start on the 2013/2014 laptop market. Biggest tech story of the year and nobody's said a goddamn word about it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hadlock posted:

Apple quite literally bought the first six months' worth of Haswell mobile chip production, in cash, in advance to get a head start on the 2013/2014 laptop market. Biggest tech story of the year and nobody's said a goddamn word about it.

Presumably nobody wants to risk losing access to review Apple products by saying something that might make them look bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't really see how it makes them look bad at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I don't think it makes Apple look bad (it's a free market after all), but I do think it's a very interesting story.