Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Maybe you've already tried it, but a lot of what you're describing matches Sil's design goals. Much shorter than most roguelikes, tells you what monsters and items do (when you've encountered them enough/have the right skill). Legitimately interesting combat which you don't actually have to take part in, that is immediately and noticably affected by your character build. Massively trimmed down monster count from its roots (angband). You should try it if you haven't already.

..btt fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I have yeah - there aren't too many I haven't played :eng99:

Also even games I praise might not actually be games I actually enjoy (see: Brogue, Spelunky). I can recognize good solid design even if I don't find it fun myself :v:

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Corridor posted:

gently caress I've already spent too much money on games the last month

doctorfrog posted:

I love Vlambeer's playful art and approach to making games, but Nuclear Throne looks incredibly tedious.

It is really fun, although if you don't like fast action roguelikes it probably won't be for you.

For people who might be interested, some stuff about Nuclear Throne:

You pick a character at the start, they all have different abilities you can activate (the throne butt upgrade can enhance the ability). Killing enemies and breaking glowing cores drops you rads which are basically EXP, if you gain a level when you go through the end of level portal you pick an upgrade out of 4 randomly selected ones.

There are various types of weapons with their own ammo and melee weapons which don't tend to use ammo, you can only hold 2 weapons so you might be often picking up different guns if you run out of ammo.

Might make a thread for it.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Harminoff posted:

SO here's something if you like roguelikes and oldschool fps games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVPXV99Dhqw

That looks kinda fun, I liked Doom: Fall of Mars and this reminds me of that.

e: release date was supposed to be late November, now I'm hoping it didn't die the same way Fall of Mars did

e2: developer apparently deletes negative comments on his Greenlight page, now I'm betting he took his ball and went home like Phil Fish

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Dec 4, 2013

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Went and made a Nuclear Throne thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3591506

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

doctorfrog posted:

overhead bullet hell arenas

Yesterday I decided to fire up Meritous for the first time in like two years. Three years? Crikey. Anyway, overhead bullet hell arena ftw! It has yet to make it into the OP :( and the old thread just recently reached archive status, so here's a link!

http://asceai.net/meritous/

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I like bullet hell arenas when they're not straigh-up bullet hell but only around the level of "quite a bit of bullets". When it's reaching the heights of one of the shmup video I've seen where there's only a tiny narrow space you have to navigate through not to get hit that's when the game stops being enjoyable for me. That's why I like Binding of Isaac 95% of the time, the rest is near the end where things get really hectic and annoying.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

lordfrikk posted:

I like bullet hell arenas when they're not straigh-up bullet hell but only around the level of "quite a bit of bullets".

Bullet heck, perhaps?

In Meritous, you can move and you can charge a blast that sends out a circular wave. That wave hurts enemies and clears away hellish bullets, so it's about timing and dodging but it's a touch easier than it looks. Also you build up a reflective shield so you've got that going for you too.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

lordfrikk posted:

I like bullet hell arenas when they're not straigh-up bullet hell but only around the level of "quite a bit of bullets". When it's reaching the heights of one of the shmup video I've seen where there's only a tiny narrow space you have to navigate through not to get hit that's when the game stops being enjoyable for me. That's why I like Binding of Isaac 95% of the time, the rest is near the end where things get really hectic and annoying.

You might find Nuclear Throne fun, as whilst there are often a lot of bullets there is a lot of ways to avoid them, the easiest being shoot everything.

Certain character's abilities really help; like Crystal being able to turn into a massive crystal which deflects all bullets, or Eyes whose special bends the bullets around you or Chicken slowing down everything close to you so you might have a better chance to react. Failing that all melee weapons if swung at the bullets will deflect them back the way they came.

Also there is a mutation that slows down all enemy bullets making it way easier.

FairyNuff fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 4, 2013

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

madjackmcmad posted:

Yesterday I decided to fire up Meritous for the first time in like two years. Three years? Crikey. Anyway, overhead bullet hell arena ftw! It has yet to make it into the OP :( and the old thread just recently reached archive status, so here's a link!

http://asceai.net/meritous/

My only problem with Meritous is that it's unnecessarily huge. You could really chop the entire map in half and it'd still probably be a bit too big. Other than that, it does a surprising amount with its one-attack gameplay. Makes it quite tactical and interesting.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

In Brogue 1.7.3, do allies gain levels on their own, ever? Or do they only do so when zapped with one of those single-use wands?

vvv That's a big if! On the other hand, if I happen to find a wand of multiplicity... Even still though, if I find an empowerment wand in a vault, even a moderately powerful weapon or weak charm is more attractive, because those never break if you're careful, whereas allies get slaughtered all the time.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 4, 2013

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

They only gain power from wands. But they aren't single use, you can add charges to wands with enchant scrolls, meaning those wands let you dump enchants into allies now. Not a bad idea if you get one strong enough and can keep it alive.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There can't be talk about shooty Roguelike overhead goodness without a reminder of Shoot First! seeing as how it was one of the early folks jamming that jam alongside Meritous:

http://teknopants.com/2011/05/shoot-first/

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

EvilMike posted:

They only gain power from wands. But they aren't single use, you can add charges to wands with enchant scrolls, meaning those wands let you dump enchants into allies now. Not a bad idea if you get one strong enough and can keep it alive.

I should add that a wand charge adds what used to be "four levels" worth of experience allowing your ally to eat/study an upgrade trait every time you do it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

DalaranJ posted:

I should add that a wand charge adds what used to be "four levels" worth of experience allowing your ally to eat/study an upgrade trait every time you do it.

Ok, that's a pretty important detail that was missing from the readme.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
So after picking up Doom 2 during the Steam sale and playing through that I've gotten back into DoomRL, but I'm still as terrible at it as ever. I can beat it on ITYTD (but really, who can't?), but I'm lucky if I can even survive past the arena on HNTR. Anyone have any general tips for survival on the non-trivial difficulties? Should I just be skipping the arena unless I get some really nice loot on Phobos 2?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Learn to scout and how to abuse the weird asymmetric line of sight rules. You should be able to do Hell's Arena without getting hit unless you're on AoB in which case you probably aren't doing it at all.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
I'm pretty terrible at doomrl but firing shotguns around corners usually gets me through hell's arena.

Actually, firing shotguns around corners, and into the darkness usually carries me through hntr, especially with the army of the dead trait.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

animatorZed posted:

I'm pretty terrible at doomrl but firing shotguns around corners usually gets me through hell's arena.

Actually, firing shotguns around corners, and into the darkness usually carries me through hntr, especially with the army of the dead trait.

This turned out to be pretty effective since I just managed a full clear on HNTR.

Does shooting around corners like that work for all weapons? I mean obviously it won't be as easy to score hits as with a shotgun, but if you can guess roughly where an enemy is (usually not too hard), will they be able to hit?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Yeah, you just get big to-hit penalties for things outside your visible range. Shooting a chaingun into a straight hallway is a great way to clear some dudes (hello, Hell's Armory).

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This turned out to be pretty effective since I just managed a full clear on HNTR.

Does shooting around corners like that work for all weapons? I mean obviously it won't be as easy to score hits as with a shotgun, but if you can guess roughly where an enemy is (usually not too hard), will they be able to hit?

There is a big penalty but it is very possible. Also, just in case you turned sound off, you should know that unseen enemies that are hit can be heard and identified by their pain sound.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I've been playing a bit of DoomRL myself and I'm getting into it.

What are your strategies/opinions on the secret levels (the red staircases)?
I've only taken one so far and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I find myself avoiding them out of fear. Are they the main way to get the better weapons?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

MrBims posted:

There is a big penalty but it is very possible. Also, just in case you turned sound off, you should know that unseen enemies that are hit can be heard and identified by their pain sound.

DoomRL is so good, and part of that is the audio, because Doom's audio was so good. Man.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Gooch181 posted:

I've been playing a bit of DoomRL myself and I'm getting into it.

What are your strategies/opinions on the secret levels (the red staircases)?
I've only taken one so far and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but I find myself avoiding them out of fear. Are they the main way to get the better weapons?

Actually yeah, they are. You have a random chance to receive cool stuff on regular levels, but the special levels will have guaranteed items (like a rocket launcher in Hell's Arena) and/or random items of a certain type (like a bunch of modpacks in the Armory).

You might not always be fully prepared for a special level when you reach it, but they are where you will get the big drops that might change how you want to build your character. Most have early stairways that are safe to go down if you find you can't complete that level.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Cool, I'll have to start taking more risks then.

Are you supposed to be able to exit and save so that you can continue a run later? I can only seem to exit the game after I die.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:siren:Thread Contest:siren:

So turns out I want to have more game descriptions in the OP but don't want to go writing them all myself. Turns out I also have a couple extra copies of various commercial roguelikes kicking about. So... I'm going to give away a few copies of games like Risk of Rain and SotS: The Pit to people who want to do some of my work for me!

I'm looking mainly for descriptions of games that you like, in the format that I've used in the OP. Keep them to a paragraph or two at most. Sell me (or any new roguelike player) on why I should play the game. If you want to find me good LPs or include stuff like SA thread links or prices, that's cool, but I can do that stuff myself if you don't want to.

I'm not sure how many copies of games I'll give away, but let's say it'll be around 5. I'm also not limiting myself to traditional roguelikes. Risk of Rain, for example, counts. Every description gets you one entry in the draw for the games. You can only win one each, but more descriptions of course increases your chance to win. These will be Steam keys. You don't have to limit yourself to the games I have listed in the OP, and old roguelike descriptions are certainly welcome.

I'll keep this running until December 15th and announce winners at that time.

e: Also, madjackmcmad is super cool and also giving out a Dungeonmans Alpha backer tier prize to a lucky winner in addition to whatever games I hand out.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 6, 2013

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Gooch181 posted:

Are you supposed to be able to exit and save so that you can continue a run later? I can only seem to exit the game after I die.

You can only exit and save when standing on a set of stairs.
When you continue your game, you will start on the next level, so make sure to grab everything you want before you save.

I'd really prefer just a save anywhere system, especially when I play it on my laptop. People who want to savescum will find a way to do it anyways, so adding additional hassles to saving is just an annoyance.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
I didn't think to try on the stairs. Thanks!

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Pixel Dungeon (developer blog)
Cost: FREE

Genre: Turn-based RPG
Graphics: Pixel art with 3D effects
Platform: Android only

Forks: No

Pixel Dungeons is an adorable but brutal game by developer Watabou. It started out heavily based on Brogue, the game being largely balanced around enchantment scrolls, potions of strength, and a hunger mechanic, but has quickly gained a direction all its own. While PD is constantly being developed with frequent update releases, it currently features four classes (with branching class changes) with their own unique equipment and perks, puzzle rooms, bosses, alchemy, and quest NPCs. You can also find the bodies of your previous adventurer and fight its ghost for a random item you had when you died. And because the developer is doing it soley for fun, it's entirely free with no IAP, no ads.

It's extremely easy to play with intuitive touchscreen controls and a few menu buttons, but deceptively difficult in a way that's entirely fair. When you die, over and over again, it will always usually be your own fault. Threw a fire potion at an enemy while standing in a grass field? Dead. Tried to rob a grave without charges in your wands? Dead. Ate meat without cooking it and got paralysed while a lone rat slowly chomped away at you as you looked on helplessly? Dead. Of course, you can also fall victim to the everpresent roguelike randomisation, and if you don't find decent equipment early on, you are also very dead. But you can lose hours to Pixel Dungeons repeatedly thinking "Just one more game".

Corridor fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 6, 2013

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Corridor posted:

Pixel Dungeon (developer blog)
Cost: FREE

Genre: Turn-based RPG
Graphics: Pixel art with 3D effects
Platform: Android only

Forks: No

Pixel Dungeons is an adorable but brutal game by developer Watabou. It started out heavily based on Brogue, the game being largely balanced around enchantment scrolls, potions of strength, and a hunger mechanic, but has quickly gained a direction all its own. While PD is constantly being developed with frequent update releases, it currently features four classes (with branching class changes) with their own unique equipment and perks, puzzle rooms, bosses, alchemy, and quest NPCs. You can also find the bodies of your previous adventurer and fight its ghost for a random item you had when you died. And because the developer is doing it soley for fun, it's entirely free with no IAP, no ads.

It's extremely easy to play with intuitive touchscreen controls and a few menu buttons, but deceptively difficult in a way that's entirely fair. When you die, over and over again, it will always be your own fault. Threw a fire potion at an enemy while standing in a grass field? Dead. Tried to rob a grave without charges in your wands? Dead. Ate meat without cooking it and got paralysed while a lone rat slowly chomped away at you as you looked on helplessly? Dead. You can lose hours to Pixel Dungeons repeatedly thinking "Just one more game" and tapping the restart button.

I don't think "opened a door on floor 3 after finding nothing wearable in the first two floors, two crabs wake up, and they chase you down and kill you and there's nothing you can do about it" qualifies as "entirely fair" but besides that that's a pretty good description. Despite being incredibly infuriating it's also really addictive.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Yeah, I could not work out how to get a character off the ground in pixel dungeon at all. I must have been doing something wrong, but there was no hint whatsoever what it was. I'm sure there's a good game in there somewhere, but I could not find it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Pixel dungeon is a lot of fun. If you're looking for another android roguelike/puzzler you should check out Hoplite.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Can you explain how to get a character started (in pixel dungeon)? I asked in here before but no-one answered. I've tried all the classes, but never seem to find anything useful in the first few floors and quickly die to attrition.

e: vvv thanks, will give it another go and see if I do any better

..btt fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 6, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

uPen posted:

Pixel dungeon is a lot of fun. If you're looking for another android roguelike/puzzler you should check out Hoplite.

Awesome, will do.

AnonSpore posted:

I don't think "opened a door on floor 3 after finding nothing wearable in the first two floors, two crabs wake up, and they chase you down and kill you and there's nothing you can do about it" qualifies as "entirely fair" but besides that that's a pretty good description. Despite being incredibly infuriating it's also really addictive.

Haha, true. Amended the description.

..btt posted:

Can you explain how to get a character started (in pixel dungeon)? I asked in here before but no-one answered. I've tried all the classes, but never seem to find anything useful in the first few floors and quickly die to attrition.

I'll try! There have been a lot of posts about this but I can't be hosed searching the thread to find them, so I'll just make this one off the top of my head:

1. Warrior is easiest, and the least complicated. Find good armour and weapons, and smash monsters. Use wands for long range attacks if needed. Also you start with high enough STR to equip leather armour as soon as you find it, which is nice.

2. Don't equip any weapon that's too high for you, your lowered ACC will render it useless. Either use a Strength Potion (gives you 1 STR permanantly) or lower the weapon requirement with a Scroll of Enchantment. Use your first S of E on your short sword... it'll make the first level a bit easier, and you can reuse the short sword afterward to 'reforge' another weapon (works the same way as using a S of E)

3. Equipping armour that's too high for you will slow your movement right the gently caress down, but if you are standing still it's not a problem. When facing a tough enemy, equip your strongest armour in advance (takes two turns I think?). Remember to take it off after so your slow rear end doesn't starve.

4. ID all your potions by drinking them on the first two floors (before crabs appear) because at least one of them will always be a Strength Potion. Make sure you're standing next to water (in case it's fire) and next to a door (in case it's poison gas).

5. Save dewdrops for when you're low on health... sounds like a no-brainer, but it can be hard to resist the automatic roguelike urge to pick up everything you see straight away.

6. There is always at least one food on each level. With that said, starving is not a big deal so long as you have ways to heal. Just remember that you will no longer auto-regen if you get into a fight. :ohdear:

7. There are no secret doors on level 1.

8. Seeds are your friends. Planting and standing on the green ones will continue to regenerate health until you either reach full health or step off the square. The brown ones will make you almost immune to damage for a while, so they're awesome too. Don't forget about them!

9. You can throw non-breakable objects to set off traps.

10. Often there are puzzle rooms, but their solution will always be somewhere on the same floor. Throw Potions of Liquid Flame to burn down a wood fence. Drink Potions of Invisibility to get through piranhas (do not even try to fight them). Potions of Levitation will get you over rooms full of traps. This is also a good way to get potions ID'd early.

11. You can use the [?] to look at statues to check whether their weapon is something you want, or if they'll easily kill you with it.

12. Don't disturb graves or bones unless you have an offensive wand. Wraiths have only 1hp but crazy dodge so it's almost impossible to hit them with a physical attack. Wands will gently caress them up in one hit though.

13. Dropping any 3 seeds into an alchemy pot will turn it into a random potion. Dropping a potion into the pot will change it into another random potion.

14. If you make it to level 3, watch out for those loving crabs. They move 2 squares every turn and they hit HARD. The good thing about them is that they drop Mystery Meat food, and I sometimes farm them if I'm feeling hardy enough or have a good wand. The Mystery Meat will often hit you with a random status through, so it's best to cook it (toss it in fire or onto a fire trap).

Corridor fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 6, 2013

WillOfTheGods
May 30, 2011
In addition to the above, surprise attacks cannot miss. If you lure an enemy through a door so that they open the door and you can attack them immediately it will count as a surprise attack which is super freaking useful for those nasty wraiths, they only have 1HP after all! Also great for fighting generally but I guess you might be wearing down the food clock a bit more that way.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

I did not know this :o:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

:siren:Thread Contest:siren:

So turns out I want to have more game descriptions in the OP but don't want to go writing them all myself. Turns out I also have a couple extra copies of various commercial roguelikes kicking about. So... I'm going to give away a few copies of games like Risk of Rain and SotS: The Pit to people who want to do some of my work for me!

This is a beautiful idea! Jordan if you're so inclined, I'd like to add one Dungeonmans alpha tier backer reward to your collection of gift giveaways. That's alpha access, a whole mess of zircon music, and a pdf of the Dungeonmans Almanac when that's done.

Let me know if you're disinclined too, in which case I'll edit this post.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Silchat: What should I be taking as my Bane race if I decide to pick it up? It seems like a waste to grab it for orcs/wolfs/trolls/spiders, but does one of those in particular get much harder closer to 950-1000'?

What else is worth grabbing later in the game, other than Critical Resistance?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
There's no desktop dungeons post in the OP so I made one. If somebody has already put one in the thread, my apologies.

Desktop Dungeons
Cost: Free access to the old alpha, but the released final is 15 bucks.

Genre: Fantasy, not at all serious
Graphics: tiles
Platform: PC/Mac steam version; also plays in your browser with Unity plugin

Forks: None

Desktop Dungeons is a "coffee break" puzzle/roguelike hybrid, very reminiscent of the old Lucasarts Yoda Stories game if anybody aside from me ever played that. Individual dungeons only take about ten minutes to finish and always start with a new character, but any given dungeon only represents a tiny slice of the game. As you progressively crawl through dungeons, you unlock more and more of the slew of races, classes, spells, items, areas, and challenges you can take on leaving you ultimately with a shitload of content for the price of the game. The puzzle aspect comes from the fact that enemies don't move at all and don't attack until you hit them first. That being said if you just smash your face into enemies you'll die really fast, even with the traditionally face-smashing classes. Timing and positioning of your attacks are critical to clear the tougher dungeons.

In addition to the normal dungeons there is also a puzzle mode within the game. Puzzles are pre-generated scenarios, smaller than normal dungeons, but they generally require you to figure out exactly how to manipulate a given mechanic in order to come up with a perfect solution. They're pretty good as an instructional tool, plus you can use them to unlock other stuff just like regular dungeon runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

madjackmcmad posted:

This is a beautiful idea! Jordan if you're so inclined, I'd like to add one Dungeonmans alpha tier backer reward to your collection of gift giveaways. That's alpha access, a whole mess of zircon music, and a pdf of the Dungeonmans Almanac when that's done.

Let me know if you're disinclined too, in which case I'll edit this post.

That is super cool of you. Definitely ok with that. (From a prize standpoint, I plan to just draw names, post them here with a list of games available, and the winners are first come first served with their choice of games.)

Nice start Corridor. I've got that game on my phone but I've never really played it. I'll give it a shot.