Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

e: holy poo poo whoever got varinn that custom title is the gooniest motherfucker

They're just continuing the Minecraft Terraria Starbound tradition. These threads have a reputation to maintain, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Wait, what are humans doing as guards in a Floran Prison? :tinfoil:

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
^^^
Are those humans? They look like Florans wearing cowls.

Varinn posted:

Torches, I guess? They'll keep you warm too.

edit: ahahaaha incredible

Ahahahaha, holy poo poo. The arguments were kind of stupid but I didn't think someone would get that pissed off about it to do that, goddamn.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
This thread is probably moving a mile a minute, but in the hopes that someone notices:

How is the performance on the OSX version?

My Specs:
- MacBook Air, Mid-2011 model
- 1.7 GHz CPU
- 4GB RAM
- Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB

It runs Terraria just fine in Wine, and Minecraft runs alright. If the beta is at least playable, I'll go ahead and buy it.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

DareToSlack posted:

It's a videogame, dude. You're using axes and pickaxes because they're both intuitive and established as part of the genre. Sure, they could have made it so that you just upgrade the matter manipulator, but using ores to do so doesn't make a lot of sense and isn't intuitive as a result. Any further argument from either side is just sperging. :colbert:
I just want to use one tool that already does the job instead of making more items to clutter my hotbar.

LizardBeam
May 17, 2005
Not an AmphiBeam
So I got the double jump and energy dash, but it seems like I can only select one from my inventory at a time - they're both equipped, but it seems like I can only use one at a time despite using different inputs.

Is this supposed to be the case, or am I missing something obvious?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

A.C. posted:

Also it can't really be stressed enough that caveman tier can be skipped entirely by flying around the galaxy like Han Solo and stealing everything from every civilization you find. You can find all of the toolbenches you need early on, tons of materials and food, and magical weapons. All of the "cool sci-fi stuff" is available right away, you just have to fly somewhere and find it.

This really depends on luck, though. Farming 300 wood for each intersolar jump gets a bit tiresome, especially since there's as far as I know no way to see if a planet has a civilization or not before landing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

A.C. posted:

Also it can't really be stressed enough that caveman tier can be skipped entirely by flying around the galaxy like Han Solo and stealing everything from every civilization you find. You can find all of the toolbenches you need early on, tons of materials and food, and magical weapons. All of the "cool sci-fi stuff" is available right away, you just have to fly somewhere and find it.

It really needs to be said that you never have to acknowledge the tutorial at all. Just get some wood or coal, load your ship up, and gently caress around. The low level planets all have the diverse biome options (though until you get decently geared up Arctic planets are suicide, and I've yet to see any ocean planets but they may not be in? Who knows, beta) and you can just keep farting around, exploring until night, teleporting up, farting around more, and just looting everything like a space pirate.

This game is Terraria as you make it.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

A.C. posted:

If you head to a Jungle planet or often even other planets, there's sometimes a ton of surface vegetation that you can cut with your sword to get plant fiber. It's easy enough to get that I'm running around with ~100+ bandages constantly even though I'm spamming them like crazy. There are Red Stims for faster healing in combat, which you can find in some structure types, as drops, or get a Stim Merchant in your ship/base that sells them.

I know it's not way too hard to get a lot of bandages! I even have like 50 on my character at the moment. It's just that...natural regen is a really small thing that would make a lot of poo poo more tolerable especially for new players so you're not forced to run around with basically no health forever in the event you don't have any healing items on you.

greatBigJerk
Sep 6, 2010

My final form.
Caveman tier is such a slog, and it seems super weird to have to do it when you have a fully functioning ship to start off with.

It would make WAY more sense if you crash land on your first planet, and have to work to get your ship working again.

Having more intermediary tiers in the caveman phase would help make things more interesting. Sort of like how Minecraft has wood before stone. It would also help if digging didn't take forever.

It's a really good start though!

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Anyone find some merchants selling guns with 15+ Armor penetration in the Beta Sector yet?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I know it's not way too hard to get a lot of bandages! I even have like 50 on my character at the moment. It's just that...natural regen is a really small thing that would make a lot of poo poo more tolerable especially for new players so you're not forced to run around with basically no health forever in the event you don't have any healing items on you.

Tonight's patch should help a little bit. They are making it so that bandages are made straight out of plant fiber, so you don't need to craft fabric for them. Not a perfect solution, but it helps. I do think that stim packs should at least give you a small heal burst and then activate regeneration.

greatBigJerk posted:

Caveman tier is such a slog, and it seems super weird to have to do it when you have a fully functioning ship to start off with.

It would make WAY more sense if you crash land on your first planet, and have to work to get your ship working again.

Having more intermediary tiers in the caveman phase would help make things more interesting. Sort of like how Minecraft has wood before stone. It would also help if digging didn't take forever.

It's a really good start though!

I think when they get the rest of the tiers, tech and story in place it wont be an issue at all, I think it just really stands out because that is the extent of what we are able to make in terms of mining tools and such.

Next patch increases mining speeds, so that might help as well.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
Are you guys able to zoom in/out of star systems? I try using the +/- buttons when navigating around sectors and the only thing that'll work is the randomize coordinates button.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

mune posted:

Are you guys able to zoom in/out of star systems? I try using the +/- buttons when navigating around sectors and the only thing that'll work is the randomize coordinates button.

Right Click/Left Click to Zoom.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone have a seed for a planet with a pirate ship near spawn?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

Anyone find some merchants selling guns with 15+ Armor penetration in the Beta Sector yet?

I don't think you'll see Armor Pen that high on guns until Tier 3/Gamma Sector. Guns feel kind of useless because of this; if you can get a new tier's guns right away they'll be useful for the x0, x1, x3, x3, x4ish TLs and then useless in anything higher. Chances are you won't find them until you're on the x5+ TL planets anyway.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

Right Click/Left Click to Zoom.

Mind blown. Thanks.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

A.C. posted:

If you head to a Jungle planet or often even other planets, there's sometimes a ton of surface vegetation that you can cut with your sword to get plant fiber. It's easy enough to get that I'm running around with ~100+ bandages constantly even though I'm spamming them like crazy. There are Red Stims for faster healing in combat, which you can find in some structure types, as drops, or get a Stim Merchant in your ship/base that sells them.

How do I even get NPCs in my base or ship? IS that working?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
So, how do you repair your pickaxe when it gets low on durability?

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

I decided that I need to stop living out of my van spaceship like a slob. I decided I need to build a home.

I also decided that it should be a mad scientist's castle.

This will all be wiped soon enough, but it was fun to build.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Enzer posted:

Tonight's patch should help a little bit. They are making it so that bandages are made straight out of plant fiber, so you don't need to craft fabric for them. Not a perfect solution, but it helps. I do think that stim packs should at least give you a small heal burst and then activate regeneration.

I didn't think of bandages being able to be made on the go once that patch hits, so hopefully that helps matters. Here's hoping that the tutorials eventually include a thing that lets people know they can make bandages and tells them where to get fibers.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Also something to note if you're using shields. Shields do have levels of armor even though you cant see it. If your shield stops blocking damage in a new area, you need to find a better shield.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

crowfeathers posted:

Sometimes you get a 'spawner' as loot in a place of interest, which is a consumable item that, when placed, will spawn one NPC. You can find, for example, a "Stim Spawner", then place it on your ship. Beam to the surface, then back to your ship, and it's replaced with a Stim Merchant. You can accidentally kill them and they do not respawn, so be careful. I'm pretty sure monsters can also kill them.

e: Some spawners can be crafted, in Tier 2 of crafting you get the ability to craft spawners for villagers and guards of your species.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

crowfeathers posted:

I had a doctor but he's gone now. No idea why :(

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

legoman727 posted:

So, how do you repair your pickaxe when it gets low on durability?

It's in the tips section of the OP, :cmon:

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

Enzer posted:

Next patch increases mining speeds, so that might help as well.

Increase mining speeds for ores, and cut down on the materials needed to craft items from stone to iron. Overall cut down on the time needed to leave the tutorial sector and start blasting around.

I would also like to see (don't know if it's in, or already in the works) some sort of life/civilization scanner for ships. Of course with the off chance that apex planet is actually barren or filled with runaway mutants~

the night dad fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 6, 2013

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

I don't really feel like harvesting plant fiber so I just carry a bed around in my backpack and whenever I need to I find a place that seems calm and whip the bed out and catch a few z's.

Please put regen in this game.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Just curious, does everyone on Win7 crash when changing the visual options, like resolution and fullscreen?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ShadowMar posted:

x: 97689579 Y: 69453123 - Planet II in that sector (i forget the name). Go left for about five minutes from spawn. I forget if it's 13 or 15 AP though, but the sniper rifle I got from there is doing me decently in tier 2.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

I don't really feel like harvesting plant fiber so I just carry a bed around in my backpack and whenever I need to I find a place that seems calm and whip the bed out and catch a few z's.

Please put regen in this game.

Harvesting plant fibers would take way less time than using a bed. Just go to a jungle planet and slash at the ground foliage while you explore. Also, some planets have large plants you chop down with an axe that collapse into fiber instead of logs.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

the night dad posted:

Increase mining speeds for ores, and cut down on the materials needed to craft items from stone to iron. Overall cut down on the time needed to leave the tutorial sector and start blasting around.

There is no "tutorial sector", you simply start on a threat level 1 planet. The second you see a tree you have spaceship fuel, and coal ore is all over the place. As soon as you actually get your bearings and figure out how the game works it doesn't take any time at all to start blasting around the galaxy.

\/\/\/ No and/or Not yet.

VDay fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 6, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Didn't see it covered in the OP but is it possible to change your respawn location? A world I started on had a badass monkey lab but it's a 3-4 minute run to reach from the beam down location.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

VDay posted:

There is no "tutorial sector", you simply start on a threat level 1 planet. The second you see a tree you have spaceship fuel, and coal ore is all over the place. As soon as you actually get your bearings and figure out how the game works it doesn't take any time at all to start blasting around the galaxy.

It does, however, take time before you can get gear good enough to go to a higher threat level planet.

Anyone have the coordinates for a planet with a pirate ship?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Varinn posted:

Torches, I guess? They'll keep you warm too.

edit: ahahaaha incredible

Man, that title. I pretty much agree with what you're saying; starting out crash landed on a planet and needing to recover some base copper or something to do some makeshift repairs and continuing down the current path up until you get the spaceship flying again would make more sense than it does currently. Alternatively, just bump it up to a sci-fi setting from the get go if I'm gonna be flying in a god drat spaceship. :argh:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Evil Fluffy posted:

Didn't see it covered in the OP but is it possible to change your respawn location? A world I started on had a badass monkey lab but it's a 3-4 minute run to reach from the beam down location.

No, it's not possible yet but it's on the developers' to-do list.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Genocyber posted:

It does, however, take time before you can get gear good enough to go to a higher threat level planet.

Well yes it takes time to progress through this video game. But it's not like there are no TL1 planets around, and it's not like they're all tiny deserts or something that don't have anything interesting on them.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I blame all of the streamers for the confusion; every single streamer I watched stayed on one planet and played the game like it was Terraria. I remember watching the absolutely atrocious Totalbiscuit/Jesse Cox stream which was 14 minutes long, and thinking at the end of the 14 minutes, "It took them 14 minutes to accomplish what I expect to have done in about 90 seconds" and I was right. I watched one where they actually killed the first boss after about six hours, which was the most "successful" early stream I saw, and I still managed to do what they had done in about an hour and a half. Famous minecraft/terraria streamers are notoriously bad at videogames (Not a dig against them, but these are games that are made entertaining on stream by creativity and humor, not skilled play) and they should have given some of the early copies to people like Kripp who are actually good at videogames and give viewers a good idea of how to advance in videogames.

e: vvv the boss stays around if you fail to kill it; I died a few times on my attempt before deciding to cheese it and he stayed on the planet each time. There may be some kind of timer before he disappears but if you put the beacon down at a planet's spawn point you can jump right back down he's still there and you can keep damaging him, he's easy enough to graveyard rush and you could do it with the starting weapon and no armor with enough patience

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 6, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

A.C. posted:

I blame all of the streamers for the confusion; every single streamer I watched stayed on one planet and played the game like it was Terraria. I remember watching the absolutely atrocious Totalbiscuit/Jesse Cox stream which was 14 minutes long, and thinking at the end of the 14 minutes, "It took them 14 minutes to accomplish what I expect to have done in about 90 seconds" and I was right. I watched one where they actually killed the first boss after about six hours, which was the most "successful" early stream I saw, and I still managed to do what they had done in about an hour and a half. Famous minecraft/terraria streamers are notoriously bad at videogames and they should have given some of the early copies to people like Kripp who are actually good at videogames and give viewers a good idea of how to advance in videogames.

Six hours to beat the first boss if you aren't cheesing it is actually pretty good. That fucker is hard and if you don't know what you're doing going in, chances are you'll lose once or twice requiring you to rebuild the beacon multiple times, which is time consuming.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Minrad posted:

Man, that title. I pretty much agree with what you're saying; starting out crash landed on a planet and needing to recover some base copper or something to do some makeshift repairs and continuing down the current path up until you get the spaceship flying again would make more sense than it does currently. Alternatively, just bump it up to a sci-fi setting from the get go if I'm gonna be flying in a god drat spaceship. :argh:

I know what you mean. When you can just chop down some trees and gently caress off into space, sitting around on some shithole planet making picks just seems...weird.

A.C. posted:

I blame all of the streamers for the confusion; every single streamer I watched stayed on one planet and played the game like it was Terraria. I remember watching the absolutely atrocious Totalbiscuit/Jesse Cox stream which was 14 minutes long, and thinking at the end of the 14 minutes, "It took them 14 minutes to accomplish what I expect to have done in about 90 seconds" and I was right. I watched one where they actually killed the first boss after about six hours, which was the most "successful" early stream I saw, and I still managed to do what they had done in about an hour and a half. Famous minecraft/terraria streamers are notoriously bad at videogames and they should have given some of the early copies to people like Kripp who are actually good at videogames and give viewers a good idea of how to advance in videogames.

It doesn't help that the tutorial is pretty terrible, really. It's telling you to sit around making picks and armor and stuff, when you've already got access to your ship. It's easy to assume that the distress beacon it tells you to make is for the sake of getting off the planet in the first place, and it never tells you that you can refuel your ship and go somewhere else. I kind of thought that crafting the distress beacon would get me some starter fuel and get me what I needed to make more, but what I actually got was a complete asskicking. In fact, the game is actively leading you towards scrubbing around in the dirt for ore when you can already gently caress off and get equipment that's far better than the stuff the tutorial is trying to make you craft.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

I decided that I need to stop living out of my van spaceship like a slob. I decided I need to build a home.

STUFF

This will all be wiped soon enough, but it was fun to build.

How long that take you to assemble? Because its damned awesome. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Really enjoying the game so far, even if so far all I seem to find are USMC prisons on planets. I am so, -so- looking forward to finding a cool base to conquer so that I can spraypaint the walls of my Glitch ship with either the "Get Out (:frogout:)" or "There Is No Escape" bloody scrawl I found in one of said prisons.

I've had a couple issues so far (prior to tonight's update):
- When in fullscreen mode, sometimes alt tabbing in and out causes the game to revert to windowed mode
- Sometimes when alt tabbing in and out, the mouse cursor stops rendering, escape fails to bring up the menu, and alt+f4 doesn't close the game so you have to force close it via task manager
- Inventory sorting would be a huge boon. Even just a "compact" function in the short term would be nice to collapse your inventory into contiguous squares. I understand there are tons of items in the game, but some rudimentary category sorting would be amazing.
- There is very little warning how hard the first boss is if you just follow the current quests, and I made the mistake of planting the distress signal near the planetary spawn when I first invoked the event. I was unable to land on the planet without being instantly murdered 3-4 times, then the mobs all disappeared as did the quest. I have no idea if I have broken my progress.

Keep up the good work, and kudos on keeping so well plugged in to the community.

• Locked thread