Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Took 9J9JAHXTYJKF. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Accipiter posted:

TKL734L4YNL4

Took this one, thanks!

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Got 34MHFXWREY44, thanks!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Accipiter posted:

RAAMTX47K77L

I tooked this one, thanks.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.
I've snagged E3RRMPN6KKHM, thanks a bunch.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Accipiter posted:

93NAAP79NJH6

Took this one. Thanks!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

On Monday I bought a NAS. Once it's fully up I plan on moving my music files, mostly lossless and high bit-rate files, to it. Then I plan on telling iTunes to read the music files off the NAS. I don't want on any music files on my computer. I will have the iTunes XML and other application files on my computer, but the m4a and mp3 will stay on the NAS.

Considering I have a decently fast wireless network, one question: will I have problems with gapless playback? Even the slightest skip drives me absolutely nuts so I hope albums play seamlessly.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Took 3WL6WLY94H6M. Thanks.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple really needs to work on their Season Pass system. I have an episode from Wed night that still isn't showing up as available. Not to mention the automatic downloads pretty much don't work at all, although the streaming works better here anyways.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Is there any built in functionality in iTunes to write correct tags to mp3s? I mean it knows what they should be if it can match the song. I'd rather not deal with 3rd party if I don't have to. Its only a few albums right now.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Accipiter posted:

More free music. If you take a code, POST WHICH CODE YOU TOOK. Too many assholes are leeching codes and not acknowledging them, making others waste time trying ones that are already used. If it keeps up, I'm going to start requiring messages to get a code. Don't be a dick.

Paul McCartney: New

RAAMTX47K77L
TKL734L4YNL4
34MHFXWREY44
93NAAP79NJH6
WHLME9WYA3NE
9J9JAHXTYJKF
E3RRMPN6KKHM
3WL6WLY94H6M
Used: WHLME9WYA3NE

Thanks!

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

smackfu posted:

Apple really needs to work on their Season Pass system. I have an episode from Wed night that still isn't showing up as available. Not to mention the automatic downloads pretty much don't work at all, although the streaming works better here anyways.

We've had the same issue with Project Runway and a few other shows. Did you look in "More on iTunes?" Sometimes the episodes show up there.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Rabid Koala posted:

We've had the same issue with Project Runway and a few other shows. Did you look in "More on iTunes?" Sometimes the episodes show up there.
We use it for Top Chef. That worked the previous week, but the week I was complaining about they must have screwed up more, since the ep in question was listed on "More on iTunes" but for $2.99 when I had a Season Pass. Then they took it down and didn't get around to posting it until Friday.

Pretty typical, unfortunately.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So here's something I should know but don't. With iTunes Match, can you have iTunes installed on two computers but have the same library on both?

My boss went cash-spend crazy and bought a 27' iMac, and keeps his MacBook Pro in the office. I synced up his iPhone with the iMac, but he wants to listen to music from his MacBook in the office. If he subscribes to iTunes Match, will he be able to access his music library from the iMac at home from his MacBook in the office? Even if he can't sync the phone from the MacBook, he's just fine by being able to listen to his music in the office without getting an iPhone dock.

Also, I want to know this for myself, because this should be something right up my alley.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

IUG posted:

So here's something I should know but don't. With iTunes Match, can you have iTunes installed on two computers but have the same library on both?

My boss went cash-spend crazy and bought a 27' iMac, and keeps his MacBook Pro in the office. I synced up his iPhone with the iMac, but he wants to listen to music from his MacBook in the office. If he subscribes to iTunes Match, will he be able to access his music library from the iMac at home from his MacBook in the office? Even if he can't sync the phone from the MacBook, he's just fine by being able to listen to his music in the office without getting an iPhone dock.

Also, I want to know this for myself, because this should be something right up my alley.

Yes. What you described is exactly what Match was made to do.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Technically with match you'd never have to sync your phone/ipad except to get non-itunes bought videos right?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

Technically with match you'd never have to sync your phone/ipad except to get non-itunes bought videos right?

And music, of course. Trust me, there is plenty of music missing from iTunes...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nihiliste posted:

And music, of course. Trust me, there is plenty of music missing from iTunes...

Which is why Match uploads anything that doesn't get matched.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
How good/bad is match when it comes to poor quality or totally misnamed songs? For instance if I have a 64kbps CBR mp3 from 1996 that was encoded from a recording off of AM radio and the file name and tags are deliberately wrong?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

Which is why Match uploads anything that doesn't get matched.

Wait, right. I misunderstood what you were saying.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Shaocaholica posted:

How good/bad is match when it comes to poor quality or totally misnamed songs? For instance if I have a 64kbps CBR mp3 from 1996 that was encoded from a recording off of AM radio and the file name and tags are deliberately wrong?

I don't think it takes tags into account at all when matching, and it keeps your tags even if they're completely wrong. It won't even try to match anything below 96kbps, but converting the file to a higher bit rate (even though it obviously doesn't improve the quality) has worked every time I've tried it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Diabolik900 posted:

I don't think it takes tags into account at all when matching, and it keeps your tags even if they're completely wrong. It won't even try to match anything below 96kbps, but converting the file to a higher bit rate (even though it obviously doesn't improve the quality) has worked every time I've tried it.

Oh I thought you could use it to 'fix' your horrible tags for free.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Oh I thought you could use it to 'fix' your horrible tags for free.
No, pretty much the opposite. You can use it to fix your horrible rips for free, as long as it matches to the server's higher bitrate copy.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So besides the 25k song limit, what were some of the other limitations? You can't have a smart playlist that has a source of other smart playlists? I know that sometimes you get a censored or non-live version of a song, but you should be able to make it upload your version to the cloud if I remember correctly from this thread.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If I have a bunch of songs that exist in the Apple store and they are successfully matched via ITM, can I remove them from my library in the future? Not just hide them but completely 'unmatch' them so as if I had never added them?

Also, if I do hide a ITM song (not icloud), will it be hidden on all my devices or do I have to hide it manually on all my devices?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

If I have a bunch of songs that exist in the Apple store and they are successfully matched via ITM, can I remove them from my library in the future? Not just hide them but completely 'unmatch' them so as if I had never added them?

Yes. There's a dialog box for exactly this purpose when deleting tracks from your library.

Shaocaholica posted:

Also, if I do hide a ITM song (not icloud), will it be hidden on all my devices or do I have to hide it manually on all my devices?

Removing it from one device removes it only from that device; deleting it entirely will make it unavailable from all devices—or at least ones which don't already have a copy.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 29, 2013

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Well, TuneUp 3 is a bloated piece of crap. What are people using to organize their music collections on OSX these days?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Rabid Koala posted:

Well, TuneUp 3 is a bloated piece of crap. What are people using to organize their music collections on OSX these days?

iTunes.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Rabid Koala posted:

Yeah. I'm kinda irritated that I bought a lifetime subscription. It's close to useless.

Rabid Koala
Aug 18, 2003

Suqit posted:

iTunes.

Yes, yes, but iTunes does not always find artwork, especially in the case of jazz and classical albums. I'd like something that will pull CDDB information and properly label complex classical CDs where the composer and artist differ (classical composers being mostly dead and all).

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I just use Google Image Search or Discogs.org to find missing album art.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Probably kinda useless but if you have a bootcamp partition or windows virtualized you can check out Tag&Rename.

http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

Probably the best tagging software I've ever used.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

ITM is the biggest piece of poo poo ever. It took me 5 days to get my collection matched. I literally had to sit down for many, many hours and manually match album by album until I could find the three albums that made it crash and lose state. It was lunacy. Crashing should not ever be an option when it comes across any audio file it doesn't like. Google Music never had an issue with my collection...

To those who are trying to organize your music: you need Beets. There's no better alternative. Organize in any hierarchy you want, tag everything, scrub any extraneous metadata, search is extremely flexible because everything's in a database, etc. You can even do stuff like "convert all AAC encoded blues music from 1992-1997 to MP3" and it will do it.

edit: that's not the actual command syntax. It would be more like
code:
# beet convert -d /place/to/store/existing/files/outside/library --keep-new year:1992..1997 genre:blues format:aac
and you'd configure what to convert it to by default (mp3) in your main config file. The convert plugin doesn't (yet) let you specify different formats to convert in the command.

Best. Tool. Ever.

feld fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 6, 2013

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I think my favourite feature of iTunes 11 is the way it'll peg a core to 100% while in the background, either doing something simple like streaming a radio station or doing NOTHING AT ALL.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yep it's amazing. Had a few crashes due to that. One of them deleted my whole library somehow.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The weird thing is it'll stop immediately as soon as I make the main iTunes window active. So I know the cure but not the cause.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Whatever it is, it makes the external drive my library's on turn into a jet engine at the same time.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'm trying to install iTunes, and this keeps happening:

I'm logged on as (the only/an admin) user, I've tried "Run as Administrator", I ran it from a "RaA" command prompt, same results every time. The install fails and backs out after this.

Any ideas? I've had trouble the last few times I've tried to install iTunes and I'm really not sure why.

Edit: Oopsie. Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, fresh install (had an SSD failure, trying to rebuild since it was killed).

Edit 2: Tried 10.7, same error.

Krakkles fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 7, 2013

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Krakkles posted:

I'm trying to install iTunes, and this keeps happening:

I'm logged on as (the only/an admin) user, I've tried "Run as Administrator", I ran it from a "RaA" command prompt, same results every time. The install fails and backs out after this.

Any ideas? I've had trouble the last few times I've tried to install iTunes and I'm really not sure why.

Edit: Oopsie. Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit, fresh install (had an SSD failure, trying to rebuild since it was killed).

Edit 2: Tried 10.7, same error.

Did you go change the permissions on that folder and try again? I ran into that issue once too and I believe that's how I fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

Did you go change the permissions on that folder and try again? I ran into that issue once too and I believe that's how I fixed it.
Good thought, just tried it. Folder shows "Read Only", changed that, apply, checked permissions (full access from my account).

Same error. Tried creating the \iTunes\ directory, since it didn't exist - new error!

Same poo poo, though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!