Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Can we stretch "return" to include Tito Ortiz coming to TNA? I mean we probably can't, but his reveal surely counts among the most entertaining television moments of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Gavok posted:

Not really a surprise, but in the early 90's, Bob Backlund made a comeback after being gone for eight years. The WWF style had shifted and he was a totally bland wrestleguy in a time of colorful gimmicks. Nobody really cared about him even though they kept talking up how much of a big deal he used to be. The only time he got a big reaction was at Royal Rumble '93 where he lasted over an hour and got third place. He had a moment where he had Yokozuna on the ropes and then got eliminated to a fairly strong reaction.

They did gently caress-all with him for a while, having him get squashed by Razor Ramon at the following Wrestlemania. They finally struck insane gold when he lost a match against Bret for the title and completely snapped after the match before coming to his senses and realizing he blacked out. At first this was going to be explained as being Papa Shango's doing, but Backlund was so awesome at it that they just had him go fully crazy and that gave us MISTER Bob Backlund.

OK. So did he come back with an "I'm still the champ, I was never pinned and didn't submit" gimmick? I never knew for sure. Occasionally in the mid-late 80s one of the Apter mags would pop up with Backlund quotes about it, but IDK if those were real quotes or...?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

MassRafTer posted:

The Rainmaker is when two men do a pose and the camera zooms out. When the zoom out is not in sync I want my $25 back.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Nick_326 posted:

Q: Someone mentioned an interview with Steve Austin where he was shocked to find out he broke Chono's neck. Anyone have a link to the interview and/or that specific part?

That was me. It was a tricky one to find since the original video got taken down from Youtube, but I managed to find it on Dailymotion. It was in the shoot interview, "the Voices Versus Steve Austin."

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11xuj5_the-voice-versus-stone-cold-steve-austin-hdtv-x264-timster_sport?start=2130

35:30 in.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I also love how the Rainmaker is the best-protected finisher this side of a Burning Hammer. I struggle to think of anything in WWE that's as routinely deadly. Bryan's Busaiku Knee has knocked everyone out but only since August.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ghostpilot posted:

That was me. It was a tricky one to find since the original video got taken down from Youtube, but I managed to find it on Dailymotion. It was in the shoot interview, "the Voices Versus Steve Austin."

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11xuj5_the-voice-versus-stone-cold-steve-austin-hdtv-x264-timster_sport?start=2130

35:30 in.

You can see a lot of emotion in him there, it's almost chilling.

I love the beer cooler, though. :allears:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

harperdc posted:

I also love how the Rainmaker is the best-protected finisher this side of a Burning Hammer. I struggle to think of anything in WWE that's as routinely deadly. Bryan's Busaiku Knee has knocked everyone out but only since August.

Speaking of which, how the hell is the knee supposed to be taken? I'm assuming the guy on the receiving end doesn't literally get kneed in the face?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Bryan's or the original? With Bryan's, just like they've been hit about the chest and face with a wrecking ball. Cena sold it superbly the first time out

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Right, I meant how do the wrestlers protect themselves while doing/taking the move? Because it really, really looks like Cena's getting smashed in the face. But if it were real, it'd result in concussion/death.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

IronCladBurrito posted:

OK. So did he come back with an "I'm still the champ, I was never pinned and didn't submit" gimmick? I never knew for sure. Occasionally in the mid-late 80s one of the Apter mags would pop up with Backlund quotes about it, but IDK if those were real quotes or...?

In the beginning of his early 90's run, he didn't really bring it up. He was overly respectful to the point of shaking hands with the jobbers post-match, so it was out of character for him to whine about the past. Once he turned heel, he really got into it. When he beat Bret Hart for the belt, he insisted that he never truly lost the title to begin with.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Superstring posted:

Right, I meant how do the wrestlers protect themselves while doing/taking the move? Because it really, really looks like Cena's getting smashed in the face. But if it were real, it'd result in concussion/death.

You bump with it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
On that note, how the hell does an opponent take Cesaro's leapfrog stomp? It's two feet straight to the chest from Swagger's shoulders. I guess Cesaro could make a soft landing and buckle his knees on impact, but goddamn that looks like it hurts anyway.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

I always thought/got the impression the person taking the move makes sure they're not flat on the canvas so they have abit of give

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

How did the false rumor of the original Ultimate Warrior dying and being replaced start and become so widespread in the '90s?

I first heard it from a classmate in 2nd grade that he died due to a "steroid overdose" around the time of Hogan vs. Warrior. I believed it initially until my dad pointed out that it was obviously still the same guy and that this death would've made the news.

From a Google search it seems like versions of the rumor with different causes of death spread every time he took time off, but I can't find any original source.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 6, 2013

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Tbqh it's a lot more believable than the guy legally changing his name to Warrior Warrior and publishing a comic book where he rapes Santa

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

oatgan posted:

Also I think I remember reading/hearing for one of those wrestling podcasts that Vince saw Silver Linings Playbook and wanted a dancing gimmick earlier this year

Fandango's first dark match appearance was before that movie was released.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

In the beginning of his early 90's run, he didn't really bring it up. He was overly respectful to the point of shaking hands with the jobbers post-match, so it was out of character for him to whine about the past. Once he turned heel, he really got into it. When he beat Bret Hart for the belt, he insisted that he never truly lost the title to begin with.

He was sorta right. Arnold Skaaland gave up on his behalf without his consent while he was in the Camel Clutch.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And then Diesel killed that whole awesome angle in nine seconds.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He was sorta right. Arnold Skaaland gave up on his behalf without his consent while he was in the Camel Clutch.

Which Backlund drew on to further his heel turn, by putting Skaaland in the crossface chicken-wing.

DeathChicken posted:

And then Diesel killed that whole awesome angle in nine seconds.

I get that they wanted to get the belt from Bret to Diesel, and I get that they wanted a transitional guy between them, and I get that they wanted to build up a heel to be that transitional guy. What I don't get is why you have that title change happen at a loving house show in 1994.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

harperdc posted:

I also love how the Rainmaker is the best-protected finisher this side of a Burning Hammer.

I wouldn't say that, it's just a protected finisher like when most people in the company debut a new finisher. The difference is he became a champion very quickly after debuting the move, and then he won all of his defenses with it.

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 6, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

Which Backlund drew on to further his heel turn, by putting Skaaland in the crossface chicken-wing.

I get that they wanted to get the belt from Bret to Diesel, and I get that they wanted a transitional guy between them, and I get that they wanted to build up a heel to be that transitional guy. What I don't get is why you have that title change happen at a loving house show in 1994.

In less than 30 seconds, for that matter. I know Kevin Nash isn't exactly Jumbo Tsuruta or anything, but I'm sure they could have done a 5 minute match on RAW, it might have popped the ratings and it would have been the first time the WWE title changed hands on RAW.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 6, 2013

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

Red posted:

The more you dig, the more you realize that both McMahon and Bischoff are both really guys who stumbled rear end over head into 2-3 year long "hot streaks" and milked entire careers out of it. Vince's only difference is that he managed to do it twice.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
House shows used to be huge business. Also, this was no regular house show, this was MSG. I imagine they did the title change at MSG to try and pop attendance at house shows, which would've been way more important than RAW ratings at the time.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

spongeh posted:

House shows used to be huge business. Also, this was no regular house show, this was MSG. I imagine they did the title change at MSG to try and pop attendance at house shows, which would've been way more important than RAW ratings at the time.

Very true. This dates back to the territory days. MSG shows were essentially on the level of a Saturday Night's Main Event or Clash of the Champions level show. They were basically untelevised PPVs.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Thauros posted:

How did the false rumor of the original Ultimate Warrior dying and being replaced start and become so widespread in the '90s?

I first heard it from a classmate in 2nd grade that he died due to a "steroid overdose" around the time of Hogan vs. Warrior. I believed it initially until my dad pointed out that it was obviously still the same guy and that this death would've made the news.

From a Google search it seems like versions of the rumor with different causes of death spread every time he took time off, but I can't find any original source.

When he left WWF, Warrior clones popped up in some territories, and they were Obviously Not Hellwig. I'd always figured that to be the start of the rumor.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

ThatCguy posted:

Very true. This dates back to the territory days. MSG shows were essentially on the level of a Saturday Night's Main Event or Clash of the Champions level show. They were basically untelevised PPVs.

Adding to this, weren't MSG shows televised in some areas too? Or did they stop that by that time.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Adding to this, weren't MSG shows televised in some areas too? Or did they stop that by that time.

I'm pretty sure that had stopped well before 1994.

Thauros posted:

I honestly doubt it came from one particular place. He disappeared without explanation for six months, and when he came back he was noticeably smaller and had a different haircut. In the days before everyone was reading about what's going on backstage on the internet, it was easy for stupid kids (like me) to jump to the conclusion that it was a different guy. Then we'd have to fill in a reason for why it was a different guy.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Diabolik900 posted:

I honestly doubt it came from one particular place. He disappeared without explanation for six months, and when he came back he was noticeably smaller and had a different haircut. In the days before everyone was reading about what's going on backstage on the internet, it was easy for stupid kids (like me) to jump to the conclusion that it was a different guy. Then we'd have to fill in a reason for why it was a different guy.

Somewhere, in another timeline, exists a kid who believes the original Chris Masters is dead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've heard rumours that Chris Masters died on his way back to his home planet, but the Japanese rebuilt him into a great worker.

Edit: Actual question, is MVP's Hawkeye vest to cover up his controversial tattoos?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I've heard rumours that Chris Masters died on his way back to his home planet, but the Japanese rebuilt him into a great worker.

Edit: Actual question, is MVP's Hawkeye vest to cover up his controversial tattoos?

Yup. Dude has some pretty sweet prison tattoos.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

Yup. Dude has some pretty sweet prison tattoos.

One of them is of Louis Farrakahn, as well.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Apparently wwe.com took photos of them. First match for MVP tattoos: http://www.wwe.com/inside/superstarink/mvp

and yup they are pretty terrible.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

One of them is of Louis Farrakahn, as well.

lol apparently it's Malcolm X. I also thought it was Farrakhan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'd never seen it, somebody told me it was Farrakahn. He needs to get the Malcolm one retouched.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

And the Eye of Horace. Presumably Hogan. Jesus, it would take literally 20 seconds on Google to find out the correct spelling. (It's Horus.)

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

Gaz-L posted:

And the Eye of Horace. Presumably Hogan. Jesus, it would take literally 20 seconds on Google to find out the correct spelling. (It's Horus.)

Google, the thing readily available to people in jail.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

IronCladBurrito posted:

He was the wrestling coach of my hometown's high school in the very early nineties and would bring that up in real life to a bunch of kids who only knew him as a strange orange man who coached wrestling.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Diabolik900 posted:

The televised MSG shows became more sporadic in the 90s, but they still ran them up until the attitude era. I definitely remember seeing a gang warfare-era 1997 MSG show on TV.

Cromulent fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 6, 2013

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Rodney the Piper posted:

WWE is outsourcing its article writing and editing to prisons now? poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Rodney the Piper posted:

Not only that, he was only 16 when he was arrested which means that his jail sentence would've started in the late '80s. It's great how successful he's been able to be considering he spent his life between the ages of 16 and 25 in prison.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 6, 2013