Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Very true - Holmes is being battered by the consequences of his actions. I'm hoping he'll have some emotional growth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I always knew Holmes was ambitious, but I didn't predict him trying to cure Bell's palsy.

:downsrim:

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I don't think the relationship between Holmes and Bell is irreparably damaged, it's just a rough patch before some real growth. Of course Bell is mad because he's living in horrible pain and his life's work is in jeopardy, but when he regains use of his arm and returns to the force he can have the heart to heart with Holmes where he admits to wanting him to stay and that even if he died, it would've been alright because his job is all about helping people and he did that by saving Holmes (and many others by extension).

At least that's what I hope happens. They could be writing Bell off for all I know, which would suck. He's a perfect complimentary character that I don't think can be replaced. I guess I could just check IMDB for future episodes and see if he's listed, but out of respect for the show, I'll let it play out in real time.

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
The judge halting Sherlock's testimony to debunk his bullshit portrayal of Gregson was hilarious.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Judge Burrell is awesome. Doing well for himself, even if he's only a judge for the NYPD.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I liked how the fallout from the investigation came from the theatrics in the office. It always bugs me how in these shows they do that thing where they start raising their voice, threatening to reveal someone's secrets, even letting something slip, and nothing comes of it like everyone in the office is deaf.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Fowl posted:

I liked how the fallout from the investigation came from the theatrics in the office. It always bugs me how in these shows they do that thing where they start raising their voice, threatening to reveal someone's secrets, even letting something slip, and nothing comes of it like everyone in the office is deaf.

That's not exactly a bug. Extras in the background are only there to lend veracity to the scene; it's part of their job not to react to anything the main characters do unless instructed to do so. Meanwhile the main characters have to speak at a certain volume so they can be heard by the audience. It's a convention that was twisted in this instance because JLM is so strident as Holmes.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Jedit posted:

That's not exactly a bug. Extras in the background are only there to lend veracity to the scene; it's part of their job not to react to anything the main characters do unless instructed to do so. Meanwhile the main characters have to speak at a certain volume so they can be heard by the audience. It's a convention that was twisted in this instance because JLM is so strident as Holmes.

I think he was saying that he's happy to see some sort of realistic consequences for behavior such as talking in full voices about how some guy used to be a felon at his place of work. It wasn't the performances of any background actor in the scene, it was the writers genuinely appreciating that such a display would likely have some fallout.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I am always pleased to see actions having real consequences. Sherlock's intelligence working against him is a brilliant story and character hook.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

ashpanash posted:

I think he was saying that he's happy to see some sort of realistic consequences for behavior such as talking in full voices about how some guy used to be a felon at his place of work. It wasn't the performances of any background actor in the scene, it was the writers genuinely appreciating that such a display would likely have some fallout.

Yeah, this is what I was talking about. That exact "Your boss wouldn't like to know you were a FELON!" scene happens all the time in procedurals, with no fallout.

BlueFootedBoobie
Feb 15, 2005

I gotta say one thing that really hit me as unrealistic was Dillon only getting shot a couple of times after he shot Bell. If a cop had gotten shot outside an actual NYPD station with a bunch of other cops around, there would have approximately 1200 rounds fired and a couple dozen bystanders going down along with the perp.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ashpanash posted:

I get that he's happy with this scene. I was just saying that when there are no consequences for this happening in other productions it's a convention of the medium, not sloppy writing.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Jedit posted:

I get that he's happy with this scene. I was just saying that when there are no consequences for this happening in other productions it's a convention of the medium, not sloppy writing.

Are you obtuse? The original comment was practically "this convention of the medium bugs me." That something is a convention doesn't mean it can't be annoying.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
Man, Bell just gets screwed over all the time in this show. Why don't they put Gregson's rear end on the line for once?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Snipee posted:

Man, Bell just gets screwed over all the time in this show. Why don't they put Gregson's rear end on the line for once?

There aren't a lot of things that can threaten Gregson behind his desk. Bell is the guy on the street. We had a Gregson episode like two weeks ago when his wife's home got broken into, it's just not very likely that a captain will be decking bad guys.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Gregson is great casting, somehow he seems approachable and nice but still when he needs that hard edge it's like BAM!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Woah that deputy commissioner is super sinister.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
Don't leave us Bell, you still need to have a heartwarming scene with Sherlock redeeming himself :(

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
Sherlock’s new protégé gives off a “mole” vibe to me.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Platystemon posted:

Sherlock’s new protégé gives off a “mole” vibe to me.

I thought that too!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I didn't get that impression, but rather that the poor guy was going to be used as a surrogate for Holmes' current problems with Detective Bell. The deputy commissioner's definitely up to something though.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
"And you are?"
"Randy..."
"Name or adjective?"

Petulant, juvenile Sherlock rules.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Odd question, but does anyone in here also watch Blacklist? We had the two most recent episodes on the other night and I could swear that Blacklist had borrowed Sherlock and Watson's home to film the scenes involving the spies across the street. As much as they love to film that one front door/stairwell shot in Elementary I've practically memorized it, and there was also a hallway and I think one more shot that looked confusingly familiar. Or am I imagining things? :tinfoil:

uublog
Jul 19, 2012

"World Champions. WORLD FUCKING CHAMPIONS." - Chase Utley, October 31, 2008; Broad Street, Philadelphia, PA

mushroom_spore posted:

Odd question, but does anyone in here also watch Blacklist? We had the two most recent episodes on the other night and I could swear that Blacklist had borrowed Sherlock and Watson's home to film the scenes involving the spies across the street. As much as they love to film that one front door/stairwell shot in Elementary I've practically memorized it, and there was also a hallway and I think one more shot that looked confusingly familiar. Or am I imagining things? :tinfoil:

I thought it was p weird that William Sadler had cancer on both shows in the same week

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

uublog posted:

I thought it was p weird that William Sadler had cancer on both shows in the same week

Also that he died was mudered on both shows :tinfoil:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I also watch the Blacklist and I didn't recognize it, but I'm not very observant that way.

I don't think I can bring myself to watch any episode a second time to check though.

BIG CITY LAWYER
Sep 15, 2004

I believe it was the great American painter Bob Ross who said, "The key to a swollen vagina is... courage."
A friend threw a dinner party and served Yorkshire pudding! She did watch the newest episode but the menu was already planned. We had a giggle over that! It was delicious btw

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I feel like an idiot. I thought the guy Sherlock was sponsering was really nice and cool (especially after seeing how uncomfortable and unawkward Sherlock was), and I was happy for Bell that he is getting a chance to work elsewhere (although I'm not sure if he's actually getting ready to leave the show). Did I completely read these characters wrong?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Blind Pineapple posted:

"And you are?"
"Randy..."
"Name or adjective?"

Petulant, juvenile Sherlock rules.

I enjoyed that too. "Um...are you asking me if I'm horny?"

mushroom_spore posted:

I'm catching up on the Blacklist and will try to pay attention.

Snipee posted:

I feel like an idiot. I thought the guy Sherlock was sponsering was really nice and cool (especially after seeing how uncomfortable and unawkward Sherlock was), and I was happy for Bell that he is getting a chance to work elsewhere (although I'm not sure if he's actually getting ready to leave the show). Did I completely read these characters wrong?

I didn't read it as him being a mole either so you aren't alone.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Snipee posted:

I don't think there's anything weird about the new sponsee, but yeah you read the deputy commissioner wrong. He's running an "intelligence division" i.e. spying and eavesdropping and such. This is probably setting up some kind of plot where Bell has to consider whether the supposed greater good of this division is worth the tactics they employ. And maybe the deputy commissioner is going to be more overtly corrupt as well, I dunno.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
So Judge Phalean has set up a unit dedicated to surveillance? What a coincidence.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

When he said "demographics" and watching "certain people", my first thought was "oh hey it's the leader of the racist division, here to hire a black guy he can point to and say 'no look we're not racist, if we were racist Detective Bell wouldn't have joined up'."

Or maybe that's just me?

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The demographics unit is a real thing in the NYPD. Seems to be mostly an excuse to spy on brown people and liberals.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I just assumed that the show has a few conservative writers and dropped the whole "demographics division" issue at that. Oh, I really like Bell, and I hope things turn out ok. :(

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Sherlock's nervous "enTER!!" when Randy came over at the end was great. Looking forward to whatever they have planned between those two.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006
One idea that seems to make a lot of sense to me would be Bell being the NYPD's extra oversight over Holmes and Watson that was mentioned. He could still be involved in cases, but not have to carry a gun or be a detective in name.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If this were any other show I'd expect Bell to lose hise job and get hired by Holmes or alternately be Holmes overseer but the writing is generally better than that. It could still happen way down the road but it's too soon for that.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

wormil posted:

If this were any other show I'd expect Bell to lose hise job and get hired by Holmes or alternately be Holmes overseer but the writing is generally better than that. It could still happen way down the road but it's too soon for that.

I think he'll end up taking the demographics job and find some sort of evil plot going on there and end up having to go to Holmes for help.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Did anyone ever see the made for TV movies Mr Boogedy in the 80s? I swear the bad guy in the latest ep was the dad from those films. I instantly recognized his voice even though it's been over 20 years since I've seen the flicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

GreenNight posted:

Did anyone ever see the made for TV movies Mr Boogedy in the 80s? I swear the bad guy in the latest ep was the dad from those films. I instantly recognized his voice even though it's been over 20 years since I've seen the flicks.

Yes, Richard Masur was in both. I need to check out Mr. Boogedy again. Man, it's hard to believe that Kristy Swanson, the original Buffy, is now 44 years old.

• Locked thread