Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I feel sorry for anyone who's not watching this right now because it is hands down the funniest episode of the past three years of this show.

And possibly not as out-of-continuity as I'd originally thought!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah I feel sorry for anyone who's not watching this right now because it is hands down the funniest episode of the past three years of this show.

And possibly not as out-of-continuity as I'd originally thought!

Why? Why do you insist on trying to pull me back in? Just so that I may suffer with you? Damnit

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
A friend of mine is freaking out at me but I haven't had the chance to watch the episode yet (and her freaking out is making me wary) so tell me, Glee thread, does a drunk Kurt really hook up with a guy who ends up leaving him gagged and hogtied to the bed against his will while he robs Kurt (and Rachel/Santana by extension)? Because if so, I'll pass on this episode and I'll also have to go find a dog to pet. :(

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I had doubts when I heard the premise, but the episode delivered. Only complaint was a lack of reference to Finn doing something elsewhere/offscreen.

Was really impressed with the whacky/silly/heartwarming stuff. This is the Glee I missed!

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Yes, but the Santa that Kurt hooks up with is very hot. They don't get past making out before Santa ties up Kurt and possibly drugs Santana/Rachel so he can rob them.

This was just entertainingly crazy Glee. I skipped the insipid Christmas songs, but for the most part, it was just stupid and entertaining.

Plus Bisexual Santa was hot.

drat.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
Hot Santa was played by 36 yr old Bryce Johnson... You may remember him as Josh Ford on "Popular" :D

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I thought it was that guy from Popular! He looks much hotter nowadays.

If only Mary Cherry would guest on Glee.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

:stare: I am seriously going to jump off a building or something. Can't believe I didn't recognize him.

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS
I think it was the Santa hat. I kept looking at him thinking: "you look familiar, dude. Where do I know you from?" and then it clicked when he was making out with Kurt.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
Well, uh, I found some more information about the scene that upset my friend (a transcript and some gifs) and I think I'll pass. Due to personal reasons, that's not the kind of thing I find particularly funny and even seeing the gifs made me feel vaguely sick, so this episode isn't for me.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Well, not to make light of any personal issues, but there's not really anything about the scene that should make anyone sick; it's like Disney channel shenanigans, he doesn't force himself on Kurt or anything like that, and they certainly didn't do anything more than making out. It's skeevy in the sense that he's a con-man who seduced Kurt to rob him, but by comparison the Tina-Blaine thing from last year was about fifty times more terrible.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.
The Tina/Blaine stuff was also seriously awful, but what gets me about this stuff is that Kurt doesn't want to be tied up, but they do find him gagged and restrained (in his underwear, so the making out had progressed a bit to the point where clothes came off). The idea of him trying to fight this guy off, or being too drunk to put up a fight, is just really upsetting and awful to me. It's not so much the idea of this particular plot - getting robbed by a one-night stand happens, sadly - that makes me feel queasy, it's the consent issue.

(And I know it's like an alternate universe episode, that it's meant not to be taken seriously and all that, but that doesn't change the way I physically feel when I think about it.)

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to drag this thread down, I see people genuinely enjoyed it, and the rest of the episode sounds pretty fun. But the way that storyline ended for Kurt just leaves a really bad taste in my mouth.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I enjoyed the episode and it's not like Kurt was raped or anything, but the bit where Rachel and Santana run in and he's struggling helplessly was genuinely disturbing to me. I imagine it was supposed to be, but still. I want dark Glee back, but it felt dark in an unentertaining way.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

courtney_beth posted:

Hot Santa was played by 36 yr old Bryce Johnson... You may remember him as Josh Ford on "Popular" :D

He's also DETECTIVE WILDEN (in Pretty Little Liars)

Kurt what are you doing! He's a creepo stalker!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Other stuffs.
I can dig that, and lord knows I have a VERY visceral reaction to ninety percent of Sue and Blaine's scenes from last year, I was just confused what folks (and you're not the first I've seen) were finding so bad about this one to the point of calling it offensive in some cases. It's just honestly not a dark scene at all, and I genuinely do not get any impression that they intended it to be; it was just cracky, like, full Disney slapstick about the situation.

I'm sure at some point someone will come up wth a Kurt-free edit of the episode or something.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

I can dig that, and lord knows I have a VERY visceral reaction to ninety percent of Sue and Blaine's scenes from last year, I was just confused what folks (and you're not the first I've seen) were finding so bad about this one to the point of calling it offensive in some cases. It's just honestly not a dark scene at all, and I genuinely do not get any impression that they intended it to be; it was just cracky, like, full Disney slapstick about the situation.

I'm sure at some point someone will come up wth a Kurt-free edit of the episode or something.

I want horrified by it or anything, and it hardly soured the episode. It just felt more... realistic than usual Glee.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
"I have special needs, and one of those special needs is mouth sex with your face!"

hoooooly poo poo

Edit: Chipmunks!? loving Chipmunks!?

Error 404 fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 6, 2013

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

I tried to get away, I really did. Who ever thought it would be a frikkin christmas episode that dragged me back in.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Only could have been better if Bi Santa was revealed to actually be Karofsky after some crazy plastic surgery.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
This episode was a hot mess in the best possible way. It went from the awful (condescending to Becky, little people as elves, the goddam Chipmunks) to the stupid (Brittany's in Lima, except she isn't!) to the drat right hilarious. Totally worth it for Santana Claus and Love Child which is the best number they've done this season and one of the funniest things the show's ever done. By Glee standards this episode was exceptional.

Oh, and the long awaited return of best character Marley's Hat!

Rarity fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 7, 2013

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

The Chipmunks number was hilarious genius. :colbert:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Christ, I've heard "funniest episode in a very long time" and "worst thing I've ever seen Glee do, ever" and like no in-between. I'm guessing the latter reaction hinges on how you take the "Kurt is roofied by Detective Wilden from PLL and gets tied up while half naked and robbed"?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no pansy-rear end middle ground in Glee :black101:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

xeria posted:

Christ, I've heard "funniest episode in a very long time" and "worst thing I've ever seen Glee do, ever" and like no in-between. I'm guessing the latter reaction hinges on how you take the "Kurt is roofied by Detective Wilden from PLL and gets tied up while half naked and robbed"?

He's not roofied. He doesn't even really get that drunk. He's more pissed and embarrassed than hurt or :qq: about it (which is refreshing).

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Lea Michele's new single, Cannonball

Will face down Wrecking Ball in some kind of Thunderdome-style death match at some point probably.

Two balls enter. One ball leaves.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

BrianWilly posted:

Lea Michele's new single, Cannonball

Will face down Wrecking Ball in some kind of Thunderdome-style death match at some point probably.

Two balls enter. One ball leaves.

If her music video isn't her zipping around on cannonballs fired from pirate ships, I will be sorely disappointed.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It's not absolutely terrible, which is good. She sounds more mature than she does on the show, and the song might grow on me like a canuhn ball like a canuhn ball like a canuhn ball like a canuhn ball like a canuhn ball.

Edit: the album doesn't come out until March? gently caress everything.

Edit: surprisingly, there isn't a bridge with a fake key change and Lea belting a high note for sixteen beats while the final chorus kicks in and a single tear rolls down her cheek

the truth fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 10, 2013

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Well if it'll make you feel better, you could punch me in the face.
Yeah some of her pronunciation is a little weird and the constant repetition can be grating but it's not a bad effort, all things considered. It was probably wise to show some restraint rather than having three minutes of her belting out glory notes.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Reminds me of the weird-rear end effects Emmy Rossum's pop music back in the days. Here's someone who knows how to sing, and they add all kinds of crap to the brew for no good reason.

I think she was trying to be Imogen Heap, but it didn't work out that well.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

After that terrible puppet episode I almost stopped watching (okay, yeah right) but I finally got around to watching the holiday episode and it's the best episode in ages.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Hahaha I only watched Puppet Master today (I was going to skip it completely, but I never got around to deleting it from the DVR and now I'm sick so...) and oh my god.

I think my favourite thing about it is the fact that they seemingly did the entire gas leak subplot JUST so that they could do the stupid puppet dance to The Fox.

cathalc
Oct 9, 2008

Well if it'll make you feel better, you could punch me in the face.
Apparently Lea Michele's first tweet after Cory died was the most re-tweeted thing all year, according to Twitter's end of year roundup.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

http://collider.com/glee-series-finale-cory-monteith/

Ryan revealed the original finale idea. We were right - it was Rachel's plan she related to Will in The Quarterback.

:smith:

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
Song list for 5x12, as revealed thus far. (This is the 100th episode.)

"Defying Gravity" - Rachel, Kurt, and Mercedes
"Valerie" - Santana and Brittany
"Toxic" - Quinn, Santana, and Brittany
"Keep Holding On" - Puck
"Raise Your Glass" - Will and April

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

xeria posted:

Song list for 5x12, as revealed thus far. (This is the 100th episode.)

"Defying Gravity" - Rachel, Kurt, and Mercedes
"Valerie" - Santana and Brittany
"Toxic" - Quinn, Santana, and Brittany
"Keep Holding On" - Puck
"Raise Your Glass" - Will and April

(Spoiler about a returning character)
I really wish they wouldn't bring Puck back, he had a really nice send off in The Quarterback.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

KilGrey posted:

I really wish they wouldn't bring Puck back, he had a really nice send off in The Quarterback.

He does have an actual living brother who seems to be in a bit of a spiral. I wouldn't mind Puck reaching down from the clouds and smacking some sense into him. But I agree his arc is pretty much done and he shouldn't come back for long.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

KilGrey posted:

I doubt he'll be back for more than this episode. They've hauled even Quinn Fabray and April Rhodes back from the dead just for their 100th episode, after all.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Pfft, they only wish they could resurrect dead characters for this episode.

.....too soon, isn't it.

Say, whatever happened to our song competition thing? That's supposed to happen during the hiatus, right? :heysexy:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I kinda lost interest. Also nobody besides like 4 of us nominated anything so it would have been "Choose between Senerio, Cuwi, BrianWilly and Rarity's favorite songs" and considering that two of those people stopped watching this season this season would have been musically underrepresented.

If there's interest, I can throw a bracket together over the next week.

As a side-note, here's the nomination tally by season:
Season 1: 37
Season 2: 44
Season 3: 40
Season 4: 55
Season 5: 9

If you saw anything past The Quarterback, please nominate stuff because I'm pretty sure Marry The Night isn't the most recent nomination. The nominations can be posted in-thread for Season 5 songs until 12/28, at which point I finalize the bracket.

If we get between 1 and 7 noms, I can make this into an even bracket relatively painlessly. We can even get a double-elimination bracket out of this.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Senerio posted:

I kinda lost interest. Also nobody besides like 4 of us nominated anything so it would have been "Choose between Senerio, Cuwi, BrianWilly and Rarity's favorite songs" and considering that two of those people stopped watching this season this season would have been musically underrepresented.
I thought I was the only person to nominate a song for weeks.

Senerio posted:

So I wanted to remind you all that

At the moment I have a grand total of 1 Nomination.

• Locked thread