Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
In response to

Corridor posted:

1. Warrior is easiest, and the least complicated. Find good armour and weapons, and smash monsters. Don't bother with thrown weapons unless they inflict status. Use wands for long range attacks if needed. Also you start with high enough STR to equip leather armour as soon as you find it, which is nice.

I just wanted to note that I sort of disagree about thrown weapons. You start with a stack of darts and you should absolutely use them. Don't bother with them on rats as rats die really easily but for stronger enemies on the first couple of levels, the extra HP you can shave off with your darts can save you a round of combat with tougher enemies. That can save your life in the short term. By the time you get down a few levels you'll probably have run out of darts and then I think corridor's advice holds true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Jordan7hm posted:

:siren:Thread Contest:siren:

Well poo poo, might as well waste a little time and write another one of these :v:

FTL: Faster Than Light (thread)

Genre: Real-time-with-pause spaceship simulator
Graphics: Simplistic but very nice lo-fi pixel art
Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux, :steam:
Let's Play: Forks: None, some small mods are available and an expansion is inbound.

FTL is, according to its developers, a "roguelike-like". While it might not strictly fit the definition of the roguelike genre, it is heavily inspired by it with features such as surprising strategic depth, punishing difficulty, and permadeath. You play the captain of a spaceship with sensitive documents vital to the survival of the Galactic Federation, on the run from the approaching Rebel fleet. At the start of the game you select one of a number of unlockable spaceships with different layouts and subsystems and must survive to the end of the game and defeat the Rebel mothership to win. The game puts a large emphasis on balancing the energy usage of different subsystems, so if you've ever wanted a game where you can say "divert power from the weapons to the engines!" you can do just that in FTL. In addition to blowing up the enemy ship with lasers, you can also attack them with drones, board them with your own crewmembers, set fire to their ship, disable their own subsystems or flee deeper into space.

The game is notable for having many ways out of a bad situation. For example, many players prioritize improving the doors on their ship to delay boarding parties from reaching critical subsystems. In that time other doors and airlocks can be opened to expose the boarding enemies to the void of space, killing them without having to endanger your own crewmembers. All crew are randomly generated, develop skills and experience as they perform tasks around the ship, and are lost permanently when they die. The game does occasionally offer new members, but a team of veterans is always preferred to a team of rookies.

It is worth noting that the game has received some criticism for being overly random. While very, very good players can usually mitigate the randomness and win a good percentage of the time, expect many times to be screwed over entirely by the RNG before getting a handle on the game's many complex features. This is especially notable when it comes to unlocking ships, which often rely on very rare events that are difficult to execute properly. That said this is an excellent game, well worth the cost of entry to experience a unique twist on the standard roguelike formula.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This turned out to be pretty effective since I just managed a full clear on HNTR.

Congrats :)

I keep on losing runs because I always try to tackle Limbo. Arch-viles continue to be the worst thing in any game they're in.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
I'm in!

Meritous
Cost: Free download

Genre: Monochrome Exploration Bullet Hell Adventure
Graphics: yes
Music: Synthy 16-bit era chip
Platform: PC

Forks: None

On the outer fringe of the Roguelike ecosystem, Meritous has a massive (seriously look at that map) procedural dungeon with lots of baddies and limited continues. You have one interaction with the world: hold space bar to charge up a circular blast, let go to fire. Holding it longer increases the range, damage, and recharge time. That's it. Run around this bigass'd dungeon collecting crystals, upgrading your weapon and a reflective shield, finding teleport markers and compasses that lead you to the next boss or critical piece of plot loot, and dodge tremendous clouds of bullets, lasers, and bouncy stars.

Fast paced and simple, with a cool visual and audio style that does a better job setting the mood than you'd think. Enemies are very creative and get tougher as you progress, world pickups evolve your character slightly with such abilities as being able to see how many baddies are in the next room. You have a set number of lives, when they're out it's game over. You can reload your save, but you have the same number of lives as when you saved so if you get down to 1 left and have made no real progress, you're probably better off starting over.

Meritous is a palette cleanser, a great little game that can get you thinking about just how much room for variety and creativity there is in the genre.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

animatorZed posted:

Congrats :)

I keep on losing runs because I always try to tackle Limbo. Arch-viles continue to be the worst thing in any game they're in.

Yeah one of the main things that keeps killing me early on if I manage to survive the Arena is the Arena Master in the Chained Court (which I always stubbornly try to do even if I have no use for a chainsaw). I actually did the Mortuary in my run but got pretty lucky with the corpses that got raised which were mostly weaker stuff that couldn't destroy the walls around the starting area, so I was able to keep the number of Arch-Viles that had line of sight on me to a minimum for a while (eventually something did blow up the walls but I'd already taken a few of them out by that point so it wasn't so bad).

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Jordan7hm posted:

:siren:Thread Contest:siren:

So turns out I want to have more game descriptions in the OP but don't want to go writing them all myself. Turns out I also have a couple extra copies of various commercial roguelikes kicking about. So... I'm going to give away a few copies of games like Risk of Rain and SotS: The Pit to people who want to do some of my work for me!

I'm looking mainly for descriptions of games that you like, in the format that I've used in the OP. Keep them to a paragraph or two at most. Sell me (or any new roguelike player) on why I should play the game. If you want to find me good LPs or include stuff like SA thread links or prices, that's cool, but I can do that stuff myself if you don't want to.

I'm not sure how many copies of games I'll give away, but let's say it'll be around 5. I'm also not limiting myself to traditional roguelikes. Risk of Rain, for example, counts. Every description gets you one entry in the draw for the games. You can only win one each, but more descriptions of course increases your chance to win. These will be Steam keys. You don't have to limit yourself to the games I have listed in the OP, and old roguelike descriptions are certainly welcome.

I'll keep this running until December 15th and announce winners at that time.

Alright, let's give this a shot.

One Way Heroics (thread)
Cost: $1.99

Genre: Turn-based RPG
Graphics: Tile-based sprites
Platform: Windows
Let's Plays:

One Way Heroics is a Japanese-developed roguelike with the gimmick that instead of going down into a dungeon, you instead travel across an overworld from right to left outrunning a wave of apocalyptic death. The goal is to defeat the Demon Lord and stop the world from being devoured by darkness.

It has two levels of difficulty unlocked from the start, with the lowest effectively being a tutorial. As you die (or win!) you are graded on your performance and given some tips on how you could play better, which are generally pretty helpful. Your score also gets converted into Hero Points which can be spent on unlocking perks (anything from +1 to a stat, to being better at punching, to having a pet that will get murdered help you in your quest) or classes (every class can also be unlocked for free by doing a task that'll be listed on the unlock screen) or expanding your dimensional vault (which lets you keep items between runs).

The auto-scrolling gives even opening chests and shopping a sense of urgency and the persistent unlocks helps give you a sense of progression even if you're always being murdered by the Demon Lord. The higher unlockable difficulties are pretty brutally hard and there are daily challenges that can mix things up. It's also only $2, so why not?

Emong fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 6, 2013

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Speaking of one-way heroics, does anybody know offhand if it has any specific dependencies within windows? Said info will help me get it running in a wine bottle faster.

Emong
May 31, 2011

andrew smash posted:

Speaking of one-way heroics, does anybody know offhand if it has any specific dependencies within windows? Said info will help me get it running in a wine bottle faster.

DirectX 9.0 or higher is the only one I can find listed anywhere.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!
The Binding Isaac
Cost: $4.99 (but it goes on sale often for much less, wait for a sale)

Genre: Action
Music: Danny Baranowsky!

Without any facts to back this up I'm going to say this is the most successful action roguelike. It has a dedicated community of twitch players, as well as the BOILeR (Binding of Isaac League Racing). In addition to being popular this game is fantastic. The sheet amount of items and modifiers give this game immense replay value. What it lacks in map generation it more than makes up for in character. Every modification you pick up visually changes your character and can drastically change the way you play. The variety in this game is insane, there are hundreds of items, a handful of different characters and even the monsters can have different modifiers to mix up the gameplay.

In addition as you play the game it gets more and more expansive. Your first playthrough to kill your mom is trivial compared to a full run through either heaven or hell. At times it can seem like a bullet hell game almost with so much poo poo on the screen your computer will grind to a halt. This halt however is because the game is built in flash the only bad thing about the game.

The best part about this game to me is that you don't need a wiki to play it. It is entirely possible to beat the game without opening up the wiki once. If you buy the wrath of lamb expansion it adds trinkets which are less transparent but still don't require you to alt-tab constantly. There are no arcane and hidden systems that will prevent you from enjoying the game.

If you liked Link to the Past but wished Link could somehow become a lovecraftian abomination full of growth tumors and excrement you'll love The Binding of Issac!

drink_bleach fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 6, 2013

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Wow, this is terrific. The little post game fairy dispensing advice, the long list of excuses you can pick from when you die, hahaha. Flavorful.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Rogue Legacy
Cost: $14.99 on steam; frequently discounted in sales

Genre: Fantasy, "genealogical rogue-lite" platformer
Graphics: sprites
Platform: PC/Mac/linux

Rogue Legacy is a platformer with roguelike elements; namely, permadeath and random dungeon generation. Character progression takes place between runs and carries over to each new character that you make; classes, items, and stat upgrades are all permanent once purchased. The flow of the game essentially is to make as much progress into the dungeon as you can and ultimately die so that your offspring (subsequent characters) can benefit from your haul of cash. Bosses represent milestones within the castle you're exploring and they stay dead once you kill them.

An interesting addition to the game is the rune system; once you've discovered them in the castle and subsequently paid an NPC to be able to use them, runes can be attached to your equipment and add a number of different enhancements, the most interesting of which change your platforming abilities (double jump, triple jump, timed flight, dashes, faster movement etc). In one of the above screenshots you can see that dash, double jump, flight, and two kinds of resource leech are equipped.

Rogue Legacy's inclusion in discussion of roguelikes is somewhat controversial; people seem to love it or hate it. A common complaint is the fact that individual characters don't have any progression once generated. Regardless, the game has some staunch defenders and is worth trying if it's something that interests you.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 6, 2013

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

andrew smash posted:

In response to

I just wanted to note that I sort of disagree about thrown weapons. You start with a stack of darts and you should absolutely use them. Don't bother with them on rats as rats die really easily but for stronger enemies on the first couple of levels, the extra HP you can shave off with your darts can save you a round of combat with tougher enemies. That can save your life in the short term. By the time you get down a few levels you'll probably have run out of darts and then I think corridor's advice holds true.

Okie doke, amended.

gently caress Rogue Legacy though, that poo poo is way too bullshit hard. Quit after I got sick of dying goldless to crap I couldn't have avoided.

e. all you guys are ruining my chances of getting a game I'm too cheap to buy :argh:

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Corridor posted:

Okie doke, amended.

gently caress Rogue Legacy though, that poo poo is way too bullshit hard. Quit after I got sick of dying goldless to crap I couldn't have avoided.

I honestly don't think it's that hard, but I did struggle with it quite a bit until i dug out my usb gamepad. The game is really not meant to be played on a keyboard i think.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

drink_bleach posted:

The best part about this game to me is that you don't need a wiki to play it. All the information you need is in the game. Just by virtue of playing it a bunch of seeing what items do you can beat it. There is no arcane and hidden systems that will prevent you from enjoying the game.

Bullllllllshit :v:

There's a bunch of items out there whose purpose is hard to determine. What the hell does this tarot card do? This trinket? How do I get to Heaven? Etc.

That said, all you really need is to keep the Items page open from the BoI wiki and you should be good to go.

Emong
May 31, 2011

madjackmcmad posted:

Wow, this is terrific. The little post game fairy dispensing advice, the long list of excuses you can pick from when you die, hahaha. Flavorful.

My favorite part of the advice fairy is when she pretty much goes "Uh, you didn't do anything wrong, better luck next time I guess."

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's a bunch of items out there whose purpose is hard to determine. What the hell does this tarot card do? This trinket? How do I get to Heaven? Etc.

That said, all you really need is to keep the Items page open from the BoI wiki and you should be good to go.

It's more that you will never need to look at the wiki in order to win. It is very possible for someone to beat Mom on their very first playthrough without any external resources, assuming they come in with enough skill at action games.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Seriously. I've obsessively played BoI probably a thousand times, and I still need to dig out the wiki a lot because there's just too much stuff to remember fully, and lot of obscure poo poo doesn't let you know it's use even after you use it. Trinkets especially, gently caress trinkets.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, but you need to do that for games like Nethack too.

I'd say you're a hell of a lot more likely to be able to win BoI unspoiled than Nethack unspoiled.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
While this is true, drink_bleach's description made it sound like BoI was a fully-transparent, self-documenting game, which it absolutely is not.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Silchat: What should I be taking as my Bane race if I decide to pick it up? It seems like a waste to grab it for orcs/wolfs/trolls/spiders, but does one of those in particular get much harder closer to 950-1000'?

What else is worth grabbing later in the game, other than Critical Resistance?

I'd love to offer you some advice, but you're talking about 950-1000' which is further than I have ever been. From my limited understanding though, all the abilities have their uses, depending on your build. You're not going to paint yourself into a corner unless you grab things that just don't help at all, like melee specific abilities on an archer. I'm pretty sure your choice of bane will depend on your character type (melee has an easy time with stuff that ranged finds hard and vice-versa). Lacking the knowledge to choose something good I'd be inclined to spend that experience elsewhere instead.

drink_bleach
Dec 13, 2004

Praise the Sun!

While this is true, drink_bleach's description made it sound like BoI was a fully-transparent, self-documenting game, which it absolutely is not.

I edited my post to reflect more of my original intent, that it is beatable without reading anything. I play the game without the wiki at all but that's just my personal preference. Trinkets are kind of bullshit to figure out though agreed.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I'm at work, but sneaking time to write this because I love it so much and don't want to be beaten to it (not that anyone would).

IVAN
Cost: FREE

Genre: Turn-based RPG
Graphics: Tile-based sprites
Platform: Windows (maybe, game is ooooooold)
Let's Plays: None that I know of
Forks: No

IVAN, or Iter Vehemens ad Necem (a Violent Road to Death) has a reputation for being the most unreasonably hard roguelike out there, and for good reason. You're not going to beat IVAN. Ever*. But that's okay, because the appeal of IVAN isn't in beating it. Just as the name suggests, the fun is in all the ridiculously violent ways you can meet your untimely end. The game features one of the most elaborate damage models ever in a roguelike, giving stats to individual body parts that allow them to be broken, transformed, severed, wielded, launched, eaten, and more. Mixed with enemies and traps that can stun, confuse, possess, and transmogrify you, you'll rarely perish the same way twice. The tile-based graphics are built around this as well, with visible equipment (and injuries!) and unique monster sprites.

It's a short game with only two towns and two dungeons (and a world map!), owing to never being properly finished. No classes either, and skill development is passive, but there's plenty of customization through gear and the bizarre, in-depth religion system. There's a lot to learn about the game, a lot of little tricks to discover, and a whole mess of ways to die. This is a great game to play in short bursts just to see how badly things can go, as well as helping to learn to love the game over screen. Sadly, work on it ended long ago and the source code was never made public, so what you see is what you get. But what you get is a whole bunch of entertaining death.

*Okay, it IS possible to game the system to win IVAN, but you have to know the quirks of the engine and exploit the hell out of them, and even then it's a crapshoot. Just die like you're supposed to.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

madjackmcmad posted:

I'm in!

Meritous
Cost: Free download

Genre: Monochrome Exploration Bullet Hell Adventure
Music: Synthy 16-bit era chip

On the outer fringe of the Roguelike ecosystem, Meritous has a massive (seriously look at that map) procedural dungeon with lots of baddies and limited continues. You have one interaction with the world: hold space bar to charge up a circular blast, let go to fire. Holding it longer increases the range, damage, and recharge time. That's it. Run around this bigass'd dungeon collecting crystals, upgrading your weapon and a reflective shield, finding teleport markers and compasses that lead you to the next boss or critical piece of plot loot, and dodge tremendous clouds of bullets, lasers, and bouncy stars.

Fast paced and simple, with a cool visual and audio style that does a better job setting the mood than you'd think. Enemies are very creative and get tougher as you progress, world pickups evolve your character slightly with such abilities as being able to see how many baddies are in the next room. You have a set number of lives, when they're out it's game over. You can reload your save, but you have the same number of lives as when you saved so if you get down to 1 left and have made no real progress, you're probably better off starting over.

Meritous is a palette cleanser, a great little game that can get you thinking about just how much room for variety and creativity there is in the genre.

I wasted a whole afternoon to this goddamn game. gently caress the true ending.

edit:it's a fun game

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pladdicus posted:

I wasted a whole afternoon to this goddamn game. gently caress the true ending.

I remember modifying the source code to give me the item that unlocks the true ending because it failed to spawn and gently caress if I was going to replay the entire game all over again. It's fun, but the map's just too damned huge.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Let's contribute!

You Only Live Once

Genre: Fantasy
Graphics: Bright Standard Roguelike
Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux

You Only Live Once is a 7 Day Roguelike made by Jeff Lait (Creator of Powder among other things that I really love. There's absolutely nothing random about the game or combat, everything is tactical and understanding enemy moves makes it possible to avoid damage from almost everything.

It's a really cool little game largely due to the atmosphere and story. You start as a small boy named Timmy who decides to shirk his responsibilities and go play in the cave in the woods, all set in a village faced by a mysterious famine. The gameplay is really cool, as you explore the levels of the cave death is just a little slip up away, and that's where the game starts to show.

There are multiple endings depending on how many times you avoid death. The game takes less than 20-30 minutes to beat and losing is hard, but how well you win is the real goal.

With the combination of unique mechanics, shortness and an effective story based on those mechanics I really recommend You Only Live Once.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
I like Teleglitch a lot, so here's a little blurb. It's in the current Indiegala Limited if you want to pick it up cheap.

Teleglitch: Die More Edition
Cost: $13

Genre: Top-down shooter
Graphics: Lo-fi
Music: None in-game, there is a DLC soundtrack.
Platform: Windows, Mac, Linux
Let's Plays: Various ones on Youtube, no goon ones

Probably best described a roguelite, Teleglitch: Die More Edition is an updated version of the original Teleglitch. Showing that nobody in that universe played Doom, military teleportation experiments have brought back something Very Bad from the other side of the universe which has proceeded to drive the facility AI insane, seed lethal spatial anomalies everwhere, and lead to everyone except you dying or becoming its microchipped slaves. To survive, you have to kill your way through ten increasingly dangerous levels, with more than one branching point where you can choose an alternate level path. Teleglitch is a top-down shooter with what I can best describe as lo-fi graphics, down to the 90s-esque loading screen. There is a cool line-of-sight system that makes entering a new room a tense experience, and the sound design is awesome - ominous drones and monster sounds really put you on edge.

While almost nothing in the game is really random (there is a fixed set of items, monsters and room modules per level, but these are scrambled up each time you play, so while you more or less know what's coming, you're never quite sure what's around the corner It's usually some rear end in a top hat with an SMG.) it does have permadeath, and you will be dying a lot. It's also quite moddable provided you know some Lua. Succeeding requires you to pay constant attention, conserve ammo and react properly to the various kinds of threat. Recommended, provided you have a decent tolerance for difficult games.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Naar posted:

Succeeding requires you to pay constant attention, conserve ammo and react properly to the various kinds of threat. Recommended, provided you have a decent tolerance for difficult games.

One great thing about this game is that you never reach untouchable godlike status. Even with the best weapons and piles of ammo for them (which you have to work your rear end off to get), you still have to be cautious, quick on the draw, and smart about how you fight. And they are not loving around with ammo management...it is very possible to run out, and you will be very screwed.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Naar posted:

I like Teleglitch a lot, so here's a little blurb. It's in the current Indiegala Limited if you want to pick it up cheap.

It's also on sale at the new Bundle Stars store for $3.25.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Incentives matter! I'm loving the avalanche of blurbs

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
Decided to try a few more games and maybe write them up. Anyone know how to start Sword in Hand, I'm in the castle and I leap over the porticullis but it won't let me leave? I've spoken to everyone

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Silchat: What should I be taking as my Bane race if I decide to pick it up? It seems like a waste to grab it for orcs/wolfs/trolls/spiders, but does one of those in particular get much harder closer to 950-1000'?

What else is worth grabbing later in the game, other than Critical Resistance?

Ruako! Always bane Rauko! Rauko are the deadliest race in the game besides the 1000' dragons and they start showing up at like 500'. Since each race of rauko is so different there's going to be atleast one variant you can't handle and bane will be invaluable to not die to that particular variant.

And baneing rauko also banes balrogs which are the most plentiful dangerous uniques.

korora
Sep 3, 2011
Legerdemain
Cost: Free

Genre: Interactive Fiction with a Roguelike interface
Graphics: Tiles/Unicode
Platform: Anything with Java

In Legerdemain, instead of choosing a class and maybe some starting attributes, you are instead asked a series of multiple-choice questions—basically a personality test. Based on your answers, the game assigns your character a starting magic school and stats and throws you right in. The first bit of Legerdemain plays out in pretty standard roguelike fashion: you start in a dungeon (in which you were, until recently, a prisoner) with no skills and few items. You explore a bit, then you die, and you have to start over with a fresh character.

Once you figure out some of the systems at play, you can escape from the dungeon. Just down the road is a town with an inn inside a giant pumpkin, in which you can save your game, and restore after you die. From this point on, the game reveals its true nature as a Roguelike/Interactive Fiction hybrid. There is no permadeath and very little procedural content, so this game is not for the roguelike purist! On the other hand, Legerdemain offers a well-written, though linear, story in a weird fantasy setting that is quite different from the standard elf/dwarf fare.

The latest version of Legerdemain has optional tiles (on by default) which are pretty unattractive. I strongly recommend turning tiles off by pressing 'I', because Legerdemain makes excellent use of the full Unicode character set, choosing characters that look like the objects they represent: in the bottom bar of the screenshot, you can see in my inventory (after the 'I:') I have an arrow, a mushroom, some torches, and two knives.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Spelunky
Cost: Free for version 1.1 http://spelunkyworld.com/original.html
$15 for version with redone graphics and new features http://store.steampowered.com/app/239350/

OLD

NEW

Genre: Platforming adventure
Graphics: Very nice!
Platform: Windows

Thread filled with love: Spelunky HD PC & Steam - Use Damsel as Human Shield #1reasonwhy

Lets play: Spelunky HD (PC) - Rube Goldberg Wants You Dead. (Video LP)

Spelunky is a platforming adventure created by Derek Yu with randomly generated levels. You grab as much treasure as you can and go as deep as possible while trying not to die. The prettied up version was exclusive on XBLA for a short stint before moving onto bigger, better things.
:smug:

The game is notable for all the different ways you will die, and the different level environments, such as ice caverns and temples. The steam version also has an included daily challenge which lets you compete against the rest of the world to see how bad you do!

Trickyrive fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 6, 2013

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
These writeups are great guys, I'm always looking for new things to try.

DoomRL talk: I knew I should have skipped this drat red staircase.

quote:

You descend into the Spider's Lair. Mechanical clicks everywhere! Oh my god
it's full of spiders!
You dodge! You dodge! You dodge! The missile hits the arachnotron. You dodge!
Boom! You dodge! Boom! You dodge! Boom! You dodge! Boom! You are hit! You are
hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit!
Fire -- Choose target...
You see : an arachnotron (almost unhurt) | floor | [ m ]ore
You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit!
You are hit! Boom! Boom! Boom! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are
hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You are hit! You
die!... Press <Enter>...

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Unless you come in with invulnerability active, you should really beeline for one of the teleporters near the starting position on that level. It'll put you way over at the edge of the map where you can take on the arachnotrons in a way more manageable fashion.

Otherwise yeah, they're going to rip you to shreds (unless you've got a plasma shield anyway, but even then I'd think it probably wouldn't last too long under that kind of fire).

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch
Yeah, I messed up pretty good. There was even an Energy Shield armor that I didn't grab on the previous level so that I could continue hoarding shotgun shells. I am really liking DoomRL a lot; I'm excited to see what they do with Jupiter Hell but the Doom atmosphere is going to be hard to beat.

What kind of skill builds do you guys like playing? I have by far had the best luck with Shottygun and assembling a tactical shotgun as soon as I can, but I want to try some other things too.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've only really managed to get anywhere on difficulties higher than ITYTD with an Army of the Dead + double shotgun build. I just had a pretty fun practice run on ITYTD with an ammochain + plasma rifle setup though, which seems pretty effective but it's also kind of a late-bloomer, so surviving to the point where it really starts being effective would be tricky on the higher difficulties.

I'd really like to be able to do a melee build some day but I'm just so terrible at it.

Glidergun
Mar 4, 2007
Incursion: Halls of the Goblin King

Genre: Dungeons and Dragons
Graphics: Standard roguelike ASCII.
Platform: Windows, Linux, Mac

Wiki: http://incursion.wikidot.com

You know how early roguelikes were basically intended to be D&D with the serial numbers filed off? Thanks to the OGL, Julian Mensch decided to do that, but without the "serial numbers filed off" bit. The Goblin King lives on the tenth level of a dungeon, and you start on the first level. Find him and kill him, then leave. Incursion is an adaptation of the Dungeons and Dragons 3rd Edition rules to a roguelike. There are some modifications (you have regenerating MP instead of spell slots, for example) but for the most part things will be a lot easier to learn if you are already familiar with that game. And there is a lot of stuff to learn - nine races, ten base classes, seventeen gods, and dozens of spells, skills, and feats. Not everything that was planned is complete - a number of the prestige classes and a few of the higher level spells explicitly say "this doesn't do anything yet" - but what is there is more than enough to occupy your attention.

This means there is a lot of stuff to do. Want to knock over everybody near you every time you attack? You can do that. Want to chat with some guys in the dungeon and form an impromptu adventuring party, or intimidate them into handing over their stuff without a fight? Summon cthulhu-cats to fight for you? Spend almost the entire game crawling around on the ceiling? Transform into a minotaur, ride on your pet elephant, and charge some punkass bitch down with a lance the size of a telephone pole for three times as much damage as anything in the game has HP? :getin:

Incursion was always intended to be a preview of a bigger game, with an overworld and multiple dungeons. Unfortunately, when Mensch decided he wanted to rewrite the game's engine to accomodate this larger game he kept increasing the scope of his ambitions until something else stole his focus, and earlier this year he confirmed that the game is dead for the forseeable future.

Gooch181
Jan 1, 2008

The Gooch

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've only really managed to get anywhere on difficulties higher than ITYTD with an Army of the Dead + double shotgun build. I just had a pretty fun practice run on ITYTD with an ammochain + plasma rifle setup though, which seems pretty effective but it's also kind of a late-bloomer, so surviving to the point where it really starts being effective would be tricky on the higher difficulties.

I'd really like to be able to do a melee build some day but I'm just so terrible at it.

I've played all but one of my runs on ITYTD, just trying to get a feel for things. (Plus it's still plenty challenging.)
I've never used the double shotgun, I like the extended range on the combat/tactical shotgun. I'll have to give the double a try next time.

I just attempted and Angel of Marksmanship game on Hey Not Too Rough and was doing okay with akimbo pistols until I got to the level with the bruiser brothers. Since I was used to playing on ITYTD, I wasn't anticipating the level to be full of lost souls and kind of rushed in and got myself killed. I was pretty pissed at myself, but I think I will try some pistol builds on my next few ITYTD runs to see how I can manage. With two points in Son of a Gun, I was downing Imps in a shot or two most of the time. A point or so in Eagle Eye would certainly be useful as well I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Glidergun posted:

Incursion: Halls of the Goblin King

Man don't post this. :(

Why'd you have to remind us about it...