Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thecallahan
Nov 15, 2004

Since I was five Tara, all I've ever wanted was a Harley and cut.

elmer fud posted:

In the last week I bought and read steel heart, legion, rithmitic, and emperors soul. Someone give me more Sanderson before I die. Also is dune any good?

Amazon tricked me, I went to the Kindle main page and under the New to You option they showed Words of Radiance and I about shat a brick, thinking it was somehow available but no, just a pre-order... And yes, buy the first Dune book, it's awesome and I wish I could find another book like it. I've found a few things close to it but Dune just hits all the right spots for me.. And if you have a question about the sequels, the general rule of thumb I've seen people offer and I agree with; keep reading until you don't like it anymore but at the least don't read anything written by his son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

elmer fud posted:

In the last week I bought and read steel heart, legion, rithmitic, and emperors soul. Someone give me more Sanderson before I die. Also is dune any good?

Get your rear end on The Way of Kings, stat. And Dune as in the Frank Herbert book? Yes. It is one of the best books of all time, not even joking. I haven't read any of the sequels, though.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

I thought the first Dune was kinda of interesting but also kind of stale; great ideas, but so slow paced. The second book was really incredibly boring, and I think I even read the third book before concluding that it wasn't for me at all. It's very bland and old fashioned and you can go chapters and chapters and chapters without anything happening except people talking about maybe doing something later.

It's also a sci-fi classic, so SOME people really enjoy it. Your mileage may vary, but that's my experience with it.

Yarrbossa
Mar 19, 2008

OneTwentySix posted:

The second book was really incredibly boring, and I think I even read the third book before concluding that it wasn't for me at all. It's very bland and old fashioned and you can go chapters and chapters and chapters without anything happening except people talking about maybe doing something later.

This is the experience everyone I know who has read Dune and it's sequels has shared. I think Dune is downright amazing, but it just goes downhill with book 2 and beyond. I made it through Book 3 as well before giving it up as a lost cause.

Also seconding the Way of Kings recommendation. It's among my favorite Sanderson books so far, and it's sequel is getting ready to be released in a couple of months. Also if you haven't read Mistborn, get onto that pronto.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I loved the first three Dune books, but the fourth goes completely nuts. I stopped reading after 4, but apparently it gets even weirder.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Ithaqua posted:

I loved the first three Dune books, but the fourth goes completely nuts. I stopped reading after 4, but apparently it gets even weirder.

God-Emperor is pretty good and an interesting look at what godhood might actually be like although it is very, very strange. It's when you start dealing with women from beyond the stars who control men through tight control of their vaginal muscles that the series stops being good, aka book 5.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Agreed. God Emperor of Dune is actually my favorite book in the series because it a unique idea with from one of the craziest points of view I've ever encountered.

Books 5 and 6 are just silly though.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

"Stop when it starts to get too stupid/boring/silly for you to stomach" is a pretty good reading guide for the Dune series. Although if you plow through the Anderson & Herbert books following that maxim, something is wrong with you.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Get on WoK, Mistborn, and if you want to spend like 20 minutes on more Steelheart you can buy the Mitosis novella for like $2.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Brandon just sent in the final WoR revision to the publisher, so now the countdown begins.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

quiggy stardust posted:

God-Emperor is pretty good and an interesting look at what godhood might actually be like although it is very, very strange. It's when you start dealing with women from beyond the stars who control men through tight control of their vaginal muscles that the series stops being good, aka book 5.

I read the first 6, and honestly the only thing I remember about the last 2 are how Duncan Idaho and his woman can't stop loving each other for even 5 minutes because they're both magical gently caress-wizards, and the Bene Gesserit are freaking out because whoever controls the wicked poonanny controls the universe.

And then sand worms get turned aquatic by the end. The gently caress?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Words of Radiance back cover text:

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

The ancient oaths have at last been spoken; the spren return. Men seek that which was lost. I fear the struggle will destroy them.

It is the nature of the magic. A broken soul has cracks into which something else can be fit. Surgebindings, the powers of creation themselves. They can brace a broken soul; but they can also widen its fissures.

The Windrunner, lost in a shattered land, balanced upon the boundary between vengeance and honor. The Lightweaver, slowly being consumed by her past, searching for the lie that she must become. The Bondsmith, born in blood and death, striving to rebuild what was destroyed. The Explorer, straddling the fates of two peoples, forced to choose between slow death and a terrible betrayal of all she believes.

It is past time for them to awaken, for the Everstorm looms.

And the Assassin has arrived.

From the Cover Flap:

The eagerly awaited sequel to the New York Times bestselling The Way of Kings.

Six years ago, the Assassin in White, a hireling of the inscrutable Parshendi, assassinated the Alethi king on the very night a treaty between men and Parshendi was being celebrated. So began the Vengeance Pact among the highprinces of Alethkar and the War of Reckoning against the Parshendi.

Now the Assassin is active again, murdering rulers all over the world, using his baffling powers to thwart every bodyguard and elude all pursuers. Among his prime targets is Highprince Dalinar, widely considered the power behind the Alethi throne. His leading role in the war would seem reason enough, but the Assassin’s master has much deeper motives.

Expected by his enemies to die the miserable death of a military slave, Kaladin survived to be given command of the royal bodyguards, a controversial first for a low-status darkeyes. Now he must protect the king and Dalinar from every common peril as well as the distinctly uncommon threat of the Assassin, all while secretly struggling to master remarkable new powers that are somehow linked to his honorspren, Syl.

Brilliant but troubled Shallan strives along a parallel path. Broken by a past she refuses to acknowledge, hers is a terrible burden: to find a way to prevent the return of the ancient Voidbringers and their Desolation. The secrets she needs can be found at the Shattered Plains, but even arriving there proves more difficult than she imagined.

Meanwhile, at the heart of the Shattered Plains, the Parshendi are making an epochal decision. Hard pressed by years of Alethi attacks, their numbers ever shrinking, they are convinced by their war leader, Eshonai, to risk everything on an desperate gamble with the very supernatural forces they once fled. The consequences for Parshendi and humans alike—indeed, for Roshar itself—are as dangerous as they are incalculable.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

omnibobb posted:

Words of Radiance back cover text:

The Knights Radiant must stand again.

The ancient oaths have at last been spoken; the spren return. Men seek that which was lost. I fear the struggle will destroy them.

It is the nature of the magic. A broken soul has cracks into which something else can be fit. Surgebindings, the powers of creation themselves. They can brace a broken soul; but they can also widen its fissures.

The Windrunner, lost in a shattered land, balanced upon the boundary between vengeance and honor. The Lightweaver, slowly being consumed by her past, searching for the lie that she must become. The Bondsmith, born in blood and death, striving to rebuild what was destroyed. The Explorer, straddling the fates of two peoples, forced to choose between slow death and a terrible betrayal of all she believes.

It is past time for them to awaken, for the Everstorm looms.

And the Assassin has arrived.

From the Cover Flap:

The eagerly awaited sequel to the New York Times bestselling The Way of Kings.

Six years ago, the Assassin in White, a hireling of the inscrutable Parshendi, assassinated the Alethi king on the very night a treaty between men and Parshendi was being celebrated. So began the Vengeance Pact among the highprinces of Alethkar and the War of Reckoning against the Parshendi.

Now the Assassin is active again, murdering rulers all over the world, using his baffling powers to thwart every bodyguard and elude all pursuers. Among his prime targets is Highprince Dalinar, widely considered the power behind the Alethi throne. His leading role in the war would seem reason enough, but the Assassin’s master has much deeper motives.

Expected by his enemies to die the miserable death of a military slave, Kaladin survived to be given command of the royal bodyguards, a controversial first for a low-status darkeyes. Now he must protect the king and Dalinar from every common peril as well as the distinctly uncommon threat of the Assassin, all while secretly struggling to master remarkable new powers that are somehow linked to his honorspren, Syl.

Brilliant but troubled Shallan strives along a parallel path. Broken by a past she refuses to acknowledge, hers is a terrible burden: to find a way to prevent the return of the ancient Voidbringers and their Desolation. The secrets she needs can be found at the Shattered Plains, but even arriving there proves more difficult than she imagined.

Meanwhile, at the heart of the Shattered Plains, the Parshendi are making an epochal decision. Hard pressed by years of Alethi attacks, their numbers ever shrinking, they are convinced by their war leader, Eshonai, to risk everything on an desperate gamble with the very supernatural forces they once fled. The consequences for Parshendi and humans alike—indeed, for Roshar itself—are as dangerous as they are incalculable.

I'm excited for this! Way of Kings was really really good.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
Well, I'm excited.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
A Parshendi main character? Yes please.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

quote:

Which leads to them becoming Voidbringers, aye?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

api call girl posted:

Which leads to them becoming Voidbringers, aye?

That's what I figured. They make a deal with Odium (maybe?) to win the war and that leads to them becoming Voidbringers.

Is there any ideas on who the Bondsmith and the Explorer are? I think Dalinar and Jasnah.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
gently caress yes. Come out soon please

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

omnibobb posted:

That's what I figured. They make a deal with Odium (maybe?) to win the war and that leads to them becoming Voidbringers.

Is there any ideas on who the Bondsmith and the Explorer are? I think Dalinar and Jasnah.

Explorer has to be Jasnah.

Bondsmith is probably Dalinar, yeah.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

theshim posted:

A Parshendi main character? Yes please.

He's done several readings of a chapter that contains a Parshendi POV character. You can find them on Google.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!
Is the Windrunner Kaladin, then?

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

This Post Sucks posted:

Is the Windrunner Kaladin, then?

Ya, "lost in a shattered land" he's not from the shattered plains and balanced between vengeance and honor is pretty much his whole I'm a good guy/I hate the light eyes shtick.

This Post Sucks
Dec 27, 2004

It Gave Me Splinters!

omnibobb posted:

Ya, "lost in a shattered land" he's not from the shattered plains and balanced between vengeance and honor is pretty much his whole I'm a good guy/I hate the light eyes shtick.

I thought it might have been Szeth with his whole honor stuff.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

This Post Sucks posted:

I thought it might have been Szeth with his whole honor stuff.

I thought it might be too, but the last line is "And the Assassin has arrived" so that's Szeth.

Edit: Unless BranSan fucks our poo poo up and there is another assasssin or some poo poo.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
IIRC, Sanderson said that Szeth isn't a Windrunner, despite having the same powerset. He also hasn't shown any indication of wanting vengeance against anyone.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Mygna posted:

IIRC, Sanderson said that Szeth isn't a Windrunner, despite having the same powerset. He also hasn't shown any indication of wanting vengeance against anyone.

He's been shown to be angry at the people who make him do horrible things or that one dude who knew he was coming and had a bunch of guys out to slow him down that he had to kill.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I really want to learn more about some of these characters in the interludes. Especially, the one with the woman who was destroying the art.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The Glumslinger posted:

I really want to learn more about some of these characters in the interludes. Especially, the one with the woman who was destroying the art.

I'm fairly sure she's a herald.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Tunicate posted:

I'm fairly sure she's a herald.

Really? How so? I'm not criticizing, I'm honestly curious what clues you're looking to for this.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Secret Herald will be the new secret Targ.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

treeboy posted:

Really? How so? I'm not criticizing, I'm honestly curious what clues you're looking to for this.

Basically, Brandon confirmed in an Q&A session that every single herald was mention/seen in book 1 at some point. As such, people have been looking for heralds in the book and Baxil's mistress being one might be the best supported one. Baxil's mistress apparantly is busy destroying statues of the herald Shalash (Brandon confirmed the statue of shalash Seth notices is missing in his first chapter was destroyed by her) and that combined with her appearance makes people think she is Shalash herself.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Walh Hara posted:

Basically, Brandon confirmed in an Q&A session that every single herald was mention/seen in book 1 at some point. As such, people have been looking for heralds in the book and Baxil's mistress being one might be the best supported one. Baxil's mistress apparantly is busy destroying statues of the herald Shalash (Brandon confirmed the statue of shalash Seth notices is missing in his first chapter was destroyed by her) and that combined with her appearance makes people think she is Shalash herself.

I wish he would be more of a RAFO kind of guy. I love all the information, but come on bro let us figure it all out instead of giving us it.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

omnibobb posted:

I wish he would be more of a RAFO kind of guy. I love all the information, but come on bro let us figure it all out instead of giving us it.

I don't mind him saying we saw all heralds anyway, it leads to fun theorycrafting but nothing more. He did reply with a RADO on the question wether Baxil's mistress was Shalash. It is likely that the question "did baxil's mistress destroy that specific statue of Shalash?" would never be explicitely revealed in any of the books, hence he decided to answer/clarify it.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
He prefers a different kind of RAFO it seems. The kind that drives frantic speculation.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Walh Hara posted:

oh that's pretty awesome.

And yeah I feel that most of his info drops tend to fuel more questions than they answer. As someone who got really frustrated with the whole Wheel of Time "Who killed Asmodean?" question only for it to end up being a total let-down non-issue i appreciate the bits of lore he'll easily let slip.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
OK fine, if she isn't a mystery, then how about the weird guy who studied spren. I always smile when I get to his part.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

treeboy posted:

oh that's pretty awesome.

And yeah I feel that most of his info drops tend to fuel more questions than they answer. As someone who got really frustrated with the whole Wheel of Time "Who killed Asmodean?" question only for it to end up being a total let-down non-issue i appreciate the bits of lore he'll easily let slip.

I guess my issue is that because I haven't read something outside of the books or studied the wiki, I'm missing out on part of the story. Granted, this will all probably become part of the story and I'm whining about nothing.

So, if we've seen all of the Heralds in book 1, who do we think they are? I hope Gaz and that's what happened. He got called to Herald it up.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

The Glumslinger posted:

OK fine, if she isn't a mystery, then how about the weird guy who studied spren. I always smile when I get to his part.

Yeah I'd love to learn more about him. He was definitely my favorite one-off POV in that book.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Just finished the Rithmatist.

There were definitely a few issues I had with it, primarily related to the existence of this huge world but being stuck inside a school. I know many people related it to Harry Potter for this reason. Speaking of Harry Potter, one issue I had throughout most of the book was that Nalazar just screamed SNAAAAAAAAAPE the entire book. Fortunately I suspect Sanderson did this knowingly to make it surprise when it turned out that Nalazar WAS, in fact, the bad guy.

I enjoyed that Joel and Melody weren't cut and paste copies of previous characters he's written (or the same of such characters in similar books), and that each had some notable character flaws. I think it's tempting for a lot of authors, particularly in YA, to do the Mary Sue protagonist super amazing at everything thing, and I'm glad it was avoided here. I'm also glad that Joel remained a non-Rithmatist. Unfortunately, Sanderson is a have your cake and eat it too kind of author sometimes, so the mysterious 3d chalkling makes it pretty clear he'll become a Rithmatist at some point. I just hope he avoids (JIM BUTCHER'S CODEX ALERA SPOILERS!!) the problem with Codex Alera, which had a similar plotline with Tavi, who became considerably less awesome when he could just kamehameha his problems away instead of outsmarting everyone.

Btw, does anyone have a decent summary of Way of Kings? I read it when it first came out, and I really don't remember that much of it. I don't have the time for a re-read though, and so would appreciate it if anyone had any links to a decent summary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
Here you go: http://coppermind.net/wiki/The_Way_of_Kings/Summary

There's about 20 chapters that aren't summarized but it gets most of them.

Grouchy Fish fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Dec 10, 2013