Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Gaz-L posted:

And the Eye of Horace. Presumably Hogan. Jesus, it would take literally 20 seconds on Google to find out the correct spelling. (It's Horus.)

Isn't he a huge fan of Hulk's nephew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

LvK posted:

WWE is outsourcing its article writing and editing to prisons now? poo poo!

Sorry, I thought he was referencing a spelling from an actual tattoo, my bad.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rodney the Piper posted:

Sorry, I thought he was referencing a spelling from an actual tattoo, my bad.

Yeah, the Eye of Horus is the Egyptian eye thing you see a lot, he's got that inked on him and mentions it in the Dot Com article... spelled Horace by the writer. In no way am I putting down MVP for being able to put himself back on a positive path after his time in prison. I'm mocking a lazy WWE web staffer.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Ghostpilot posted:

That was me. It was a tricky one to find since the original video got taken down from Youtube, but I managed to find it on Dailymotion. It was in the shoot interview, "the Voices Versus Steve Austin."

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x11xuj5_the-voice-versus-stone-cold-steve-austin-hdtv-x264-timster_sport?start=2130

35:30 in.

Thanks!

harperdc posted:

I also love how the Rainmaker is the best-protected finisher this side of a Burning Hammer. I struggle to think of anything in WWE that's as routinely deadly. Bryan's Busaiku Knee has knocked everyone out but only since August.

Somewhat related:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/1nqbvt/list_of_credible_wwe_finishers_that_have_been/

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

I love that CM Punk is the one that has kicked out of the AA the most.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

As a monster heel, did Kurrgan ever get fed to anyone? As bad as he was in the ring, the 98 Rumble did a great job of making him look like an impressive beast. Shortly after, I recall he started squashing people and dragging them up the ramp by palming their skull (which is how they wrote off Ahmed Johnson) and then he eventually was repackaged as part of the Oddities just because. So before that face turn, did anyone ever take him down?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

Gavok posted:

As a monster heel, did Kurrgan ever get fed to anyone? As bad as he was in the ring, the 98 Rumble did a great job of making him look like an impressive beast. Shortly after, I recall he started squashing people and dragging them up the ramp by palming their skull (which is how they wrote off Ahmed Johnson) and then he eventually was repackaged as part of the Oddities just because. So before that face turn, did anyone ever take him down?

He lost one match with the rest of the truth commission (which is pretty much the match that ended that staple)

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
This is in response to Carlitochat from a few pages ago, but I just wanted to say how much it irritated me that he said "I spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool."

Who the gently caress doesn't want to be cool?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nut Bunnies posted:

This is in response to Carlitochat from a few pages ago, but I just wanted to say how much it irritated me that he said "I spit in the face of people who don't want to be cool."

People who are actually cool.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nut Bunnies posted:

Cool didn't always really mean well-liked, though. It used to mean one who keeps their cool. Doesn't get hot about stuff. Some people like getting mad, I guess, and Carlito hates that?

gently caress if I know, dude.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

LividLiquid posted:

gently caress if I know, dude.
It's cool. :)

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Imagine you're a teenager and your folks are away for the weekend. You're having a party and all of a sudden your mom calls but you don't want her to find out about the party so you say "hey everyone my mom is calling be cool for a second ok?"

That's always what I assumed he meant.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I can't believe people let him spit food in their faces so often. I'd resent the hell out of him if I was another wrestler - like the only way you can get any reaction is to hock chewed food at us?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Supreme Allah posted:

I can't believe people let him spit food in their faces so often. I'd resent the hell out of him if I was another wrestler - like the only way you can get any reaction is to hock chewed food at us?

Rather have that than Rikishi's rear end in my face.

Or Vince's.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

You can tell which guys rikishi and/or the office liked or disliked by the placement of the rear end and the duration of the stinkface.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Question:

If so many people in the wrestling world really dislike Cena and his position in the company, where would they rather see him? Just as a heel, in the midcard, or what? I mean, I get that the act is kind of old, but I don't really see where else you would put him outside of the potentially disastrous move of turning him heel. Like his character or not, he's a well established superstar, if not the only only one in the WWE right now.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He was just fine as World Champion, putting on good matches and making sure every Raw didn't begin with a big rapadoo and Cena looking momentarily befuddled at everyone booing him. But I guess someone decided by God, he wasn't being shoved down everyone's throat hard enough.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo
I'm catching up on Steve Austin's podcast, and it's put me in such a mood for Stone Cold matches. What's considered the best Stone Cold DVD out there? I'm looking mainly for matches, but if there's one that has a good documentary I'd consider picking it up too.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BlueArmyMan posted:

I'm catching up on Steve Austin's podcast, and it's put me in such a mood for Stone Cold matches. What's considered the best Stone Cold DVD out there? I'm looking mainly for matches, but if there's one that has a good documentary I'd consider picking it up too.

The latest one is a good assortment, and the doc included is supposed to be pretty good too.

http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Cold-Steve-Austin-Superstar/dp/B005G7WGQI

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

I Before E posted:

The latest one is a good assortment, and the doc included is supposed to be pretty good too.

http://www.amazon.com/Stone-Cold-Steve-Austin-Superstar/dp/B005G7WGQI

Holy poo poo, that looks perfect for what I want, thanks! I just hope that the I Quit match vs. Bret Hart doesn't have the weird audio desync issue that the one on the Bret Hart DVD set had.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BlueArmyMan posted:

Holy poo poo, that looks perfect for what I want, thanks! I just hope that the I Quit match vs. Bret Hart doesn't have the weird audio desync issue that the one on the Bret Hart DVD set had.

I haven't noticed any desync problems on my copy.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

crankdatbatman posted:

Question:

If so many people in the wrestling world really dislike Cena and his position in the company, where would they rather see him? Just as a heel, in the midcard, or what? I mean, I get that the act is kind of old, but I don't really see where else you would put him outside of the potentially disastrous move of turning him heel. Like his character or not, he's a well established superstar, if not the only only one in the WWE right now.
We've seen glimpses of what Cena could be, and that's what makes his default character so stale.

I'd like to see him have an interesting character who retains character traits, who promotes things he likes, who actually has long-term friends, who isn't always in the same exact goofy mood where he makes fun of your nipples instead of giving you actual respect, who doesn't HAVE to come out and challenge the champion whenever he isn't one, and who can actually be goaded into losing his cool sometimes.

Remember when Nexus backed Cena into a corner and he had to try to recruit both friends and enemies, and actually cut some good promos and looked vulnerable because someone was finally a legitimate threat to him? Remember pre-Wrestlemania when he lost his poo poo on the booing fans and The Rock? That. I want that. I want a vulnerable Cena who can take a loss and isn't protected, and has a deeper character so it's not just kids who love him. Someone you can root for because you legitimately don't know that he isn't just going to come back in the last 30 seconds for his Rapadoo beatdown. He seems like a cool dude otherwise, and he's perfectly capable in the ring, so he shouldn't be nearly this irritating.

What's worse to me though isn't necessarily his booking as A-1 Superhero Forever, it's that he's in a position where he could have a stranglehold on the company if he wanted to see it change for the better, and instead he does the exact same thing he's done since The Marine came out. Also, gently caress's sake Cena, record and debut a new theme song already. That horn loop is so tiresome.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

sticklefifer posted:

We've seen glimpses of what Cena could be, and that's what makes his default character so stale.

I'd like to see him have an interesting character who retains character traits, who promotes things he likes, who actually has long-term friends, who isn't always in the same exact goofy mood where he makes fun of your nipples instead of giving you actual respect, who doesn't HAVE to come out and challenge the champion whenever he isn't one, and who can actually be goaded into losing his cool sometimes.

Remember when Nexus backed Cena into a corner and he had to try to recruit both friends and enemies, and actually cut some good promos and looked vulnerable because someone was finally a legitimate threat to him? Remember pre-Wrestlemania when he lost his poo poo on the booing fans and The Rock? That. I want that. I want a vulnerable Cena who can take a loss and isn't protected, and has a deeper character so it's not just kids who love him. Someone you can root for because you legitimately don't know that he isn't just going to come back in the last 30 seconds for his Rapadoo beatdown. He seems like a cool dude otherwise, and he's perfectly capable in the ring, so he shouldn't be nearly this irritating.

What's worse to me though isn't necessarily his booking as A-1 Superhero Forever, it's that he's in a position where he could have a stranglehold on the company if he wanted to see it change for the better, and instead he does the exact same thing he's done since The Marine came out. Also, gently caress's sake Cena, record and debut a new theme song already. That horn loop is so tiresome.

Great answer. Here's a follow up though. What are some good examples of characters doing exactly this, having a depth to their character that would appeal to older audiences? The only one I can think of is C.M. Punk, maybe, with how his character arc was going during MiTB 2011 up to now (although there was a period where he was kind of a stale, more modern version of Austin's character). Austin wasn't this, he was just a badass redneck who hated Vince McMahon. Don't even mention the loving Rock, that character was just as one dimensional, if not more so, than Cena's. Maybe Mankind/Mick Foley in 98-2000? There could be more, and I could be wrong, but this seems to be a pipe dream that just goes against what mainstream wrestling is, essentially.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

Question:

Cena draws well, I just hate everything about him (which is entirely personal taste) and think he is pretty overrated in the ring. He's not a character that is designed to appeal to me, though.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Well, where Rock and Austin and Punk have traits and aspects of their characters that carry over, Cena doesn't do that. Austin drinks beer, rides 4-wheelers, is anti-authority like crazy, and doesn't care about consequences. Rock is a successful multimedia star, plays guitar in the ring, has a strange buddy relationship with Mankind, and has the charisma to captivate a crowd and turn heel without hurting his position. People don't remember this much about CM Punk because everyone loved him regardless, but his character was flat and boring "tough guy wrestleman" until about 2009 or so. Since then he's added to his character consistently, through the SES, the pipebomb, and the longest reigning champion shtick.

Cena by contrast has added nothing to his character since dropping the rap stuff. He's actually taken away from his character. Every feud Cena ends is like a reset button. All these other guys reference history when it works for them, but it's like Cena exists in a vacuum. He has the personality of a Default CAW. Win or lose it's "Whatever, never give up rapadoo." His character is "The Champion" and nothing else, really. Where I could tell you what the character of Austin, Rock, or Punk seems like he might do in his daily life, Cena used to have a rapper gimmick but now he's just some strong dude who doesn't give up.

Case in point, the Ryback feud. They actually for once referenced the history between Cena and someone else. They had Ryback lay out an extremely well put together motivation for his heel turn: Cena is a bad friend, and here's months of continuity for proof.

Cena's response: LOL CRYBABY

And that's the end of it. Of course he doesn't have to address or own up to any of it. He's the face equivalent of how 2000s heel Triple H would come out the next night after losing and say "It doesn't matter that I lost, because I'm the best and I get another shot because reasons."

Ironically they're showing a little bit of depth with his promos in the unification feud because they're about the belts. Since Cena's character is "champ", he doesn't have to invent a bunch of word salad promos to talk about his side of the feud.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Dec 7, 2013

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

crankdatbatman posted:

Don't even mention the loving Rock, that character was just as one dimensional, if not more so, than Cena's.

Rocky Maivia and early heel The Rock and 2001 face Rock and Hollywood 2003 Rock and current Dwayne Johnson Rock are nothing alike.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The John Cena character that never changes would be a lot more tolerable if they simply changed his booking every now and again. His "worst year ever" was better than 99% of the careers most WWE wrestlers ever have. When it was announced that he'd be fighting ADR at HIAC, it was a given that he would win. It's a given that he's going to be the "first" Unified Champion (discounting the undisputed thing) so that when he retires, the WWE can still sell him as the first ever of that.

He doesn't need to win all the time, his gear would still sell. He's actually pretty good on the mic, he's not as naturally charismatic as The Rock or Stone Cold, he's not as good as CM Punk if we round it down to active wrestlers, but he's actually good when he's not doing the inane kid jokes. He could do a good comedy angle like Team Hell No was and elevate someone else with it, he could go to the mid card and give it legitimacy, but it's just the same old "He's going to win the main title again and defend it until he's injured!" and that amplifies all the issues with him and glosses over what he's good at.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

magnum_valentino posted:

Rocky Maivia and early heel The Rock and 2001 face Rock and Hollywood 2003 Rock and current Dwayne Johnson Rock are nothing alike.

You're counting different gimmicks. If Cena turned heel/changed gimmicks he'd naturally have some "character depth" because I feel face/heel turns are what make a character deep at least in today's wrestling world.

The Rock from 1999-2001 and even modern Dwayne Johnson Rock the wrestling character have very little depth to them. Especially 99-01 Rock, he was fun to watch but it was literally the same character over and over again. He played the same character in modern Rock too, he just now happens to be a famous movie star who's in a lot of movies people have seen.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I understand why they're shilling this as the biggest thing ever, because you promote everything like it's the biggest thing ever when you're a major company. But it's incredibly silly to say that unifying your own two in-house brand belts is bigger than unifying the top belts from two vicious rival federations after a multi-million dollar buyout where the absorbed belt has an even older history than your own.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

crankdatbatman posted:

You're counting different gimmicks. If Cena turned heel/changed gimmicks he'd naturally have some "character depth" because I feel face/heel turns are what make a character deep at least in today's wrestling world.

Isn't this the point? If Cena did something different once in a while he'd be better.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

sticklefifer posted:

I understand why they're shilling this as the biggest thing ever, because you promote everything like it's the biggest thing ever when you're a major company. But it's incredibly silly to say that unifying your own two in-house brand belts is bigger than unifying the top belts from two vicious rival federations after a multi-million dollar buyout where the absorbed belt has an even older history than your own.

Well yeah but that one wasn't Triple H's angle.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

sticklefifer posted:

The absorbed belt didn't have a longer history than the WWE belt except when wrestling companies just start making poo poo up. If you are just making stuff up the WHC has that legacy again plus ten more years of it! It's an even better belt.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Have you guys missed Cena's heel turn earlier this year? :confused:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Supreme Allah posted:

Isn't this the point? If Cena did something different once in a while he'd be better.

Adding character traits does not necessarily mean turning face/heel. At least not in other forms of entertainment media. The original argument was adding depth to a character, not turning him heel.

MassRafTer posted:

The absorbed belt didn't have a longer history than the WWE belt except when wrestling companies just start making poo poo up. If you are just making stuff up the WHC has that legacy again plus ten more years of it! It's an even better belt.

Making poo poo up is 90% of professional wrestling.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

sticklefifer posted:

The WHC lineage goes back to Abraham Lincoln brother, just ask them.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MassRafTer posted:

I CHOOSE to believe the WHC is the continuation of the WCW belt :colbert:

That said, the WCW belt only goes back to, like, 1990 I think.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's the belt they always shill with the history of Harley Race/Ric Flair/Dusty Rhodes, so yeah.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I CHOOSE to believe the WHC is the continuation of the WCW belt :colbert:

That said, the WCW belt only goes back to, like, 1990 I think.

WCW started sanctioning their own world title in January 1991 when Ric Flair beat Sting for the NWA title. Flair then lost the NWA title to Tatsumi Fujinami in Japan in March, but kept the physical belt and was still recognized as the WCW champion (and referred to on WCW television as the NWA champion) during Fujinami's NWA title reign (which has been alternately recognized and not recognized depending on who is doing the recognition) before reunifying those titles in the most confusing match of all-time at Superbrawl I. Flair was stripped of the WCW title in July 1991 when he was fired by WCW, but the NWA continued to recognize him until he signed with an "outlaw" territory, in this case WWF in September. And that's where the WCW title permanently split and became its own thing.

So basically it dates to somewhere in 1991 but you can put the date in January, March, or July depending on what you consider the start. They tried to wrap the NWA lineage back in with the Big Gold Belt and the WCW International World unification match in 1994 but it's a real, real stretch.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

They tried to wrap the NWA lineage back in with the Big Gold Belt and the WCW International World unification match in 1994 but it's a real, real stretch.

Awesome, thanks for the information. Though I find this really funny since, as pathetic as it has been, there's still an NWA champion. Even if its Rob Conway, that basically makes it so it can't be merged with the WCW belt since its still out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Awesome, thanks for the information. Though I find this really funny since, as pathetic as it has been, there's still an NWA champion. Even if its Rob Conway, that basically makes it so it can't be merged with the WCW belt since its still out there.

Rob Conway rules but the NWA title has been largely meaningless indy fodder for 20 years at this point.