Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
When I had a condo I had the TV mounted high up like that. You just end up reclining differently to stay comfy. I do think that the left n right speakers are separated too far though. That will be fine for music, but its excessive for movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It was a WAF thing. She didn't want speakers on the middle of her wall. It was that or right next to the fireplace.

We have a room set aside for a home theater, anyways. This is mostly for tv and music.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

KillHour posted:

I thought it would, but surprisingly, no. You don't really get a sense of how wide the room is in the pictures, and the couch is on the opposite wall.

When you combine that with the fact that the couch naturally leans you back a bit, it's about the same as sitting in a movie theater.

What couch is that? I'm looking for a grey tufted sofa and yours looks nice!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I love how new TVs have such narrow bezels. It looks very futuristic, and makes a nice contrast to the fireplace.

Does the fireplace work, or is it just decorative? Do you get cold winters?

As an aside, how common are fireplaces in the living room in North American houses? It seems like this thread is full of them.
Over here in Scandinavia, only old houses have them. Nowadays, people tend to install a closed stove/wood heater instead, because open fireplaces tend to "leak" smoke into the room, and also let most of the heat out through the chimney.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

lowcrabdiet posted:

It's a very nice sofa. James collection by Younger.

http://youngerfurniture.com/products/sofas/James-Collection

The only thing I don't like about it is that the buttons will have extra slack on their threads when you sit down (because you're compressing the cushion), which makes them pop out of their holes. They go back when you get up, but it can be annoying when you're trying to lay on it and a button is digging into your back. Also, I worry that they'll come off, but they seem to be holding on. :shrug:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I love how new TVs have such narrow bezels. It looks very futuristic, and makes a nice contrast to the fireplace.

Does the fireplace work, or is it just decorative? Do you get cold winters?

As an aside, how common are fireplaces in the living room in North American houses? It seems like this thread is full of them.
Over here in Scandinavia, only old houses have them. Nowadays, people tend to install a closed stove/wood heater instead, because open fireplaces tend to "leak" smoke into the room, and also let most of the heat out through the chimney.

It's a wood-burning fireplace. Fireplaces are pretty common in larger homes - many consider them to be status symbols. Newer homes tend to have gas fireplaces that don't need ventilation. I have another fireplace in my basement right below it that is hooked up for gas (but could burn wood as well), so I could convert this one fairly easily if I wanted to.

The nice thing is that the chimney is actually on the outside of the house, and the chimney-shaped piece that my TV is mounted on is just hollow drywall with studs, so I'm not worry about the TV overheating or anything like that (Also made it much easier to run wires through).

The wood-burning stoves used to be pretty popular in the US, but I hate the way they look.

I'm in Buffalo, so yeah, winters get pretty drat cold (Not as cold as yours, though!).

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

lowcrabdiet posted:

if you're anywhere near the PNW we got a pretty similar sofa custom-made from Perch Furniture in Portland

ours is a sectional version of this w/ Comb legs and a lighter gray fabric
http://www.perchfurniture.com/our-products/quinn-sofa.html

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My office setup is complete (for now):

Speaker-wise, I have a 2.1 system with Aperion Intimus 4T towers and a Polk PSW10 sub.

The Aperions are powered by an Onkyo TX-8020 stereo receiver with a Behringer Super-X PRO CX2310 crossover making sure I don't blow them out.

My Fiio E09K does double duty as a headphone amp and pre-amp for the speakers, while a Fiio E17 handles Digital to Analog conversion.

A Sennheiser HD598 handles my jam sessions when the wife is sleeping.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
This is the best thread to post this question, I guess, so here it goes:

I got a Logitech Harmony 900 remote a few years ago, and then put it in storage for a couple years when I got deployed with the military. Now I have a new laptop and a couple new components to my AV setup, so I tried to install the Harmony software and reconfigure my setup.

Now, however, I can't get the remote to recognize the USB connection. I can't progress with the software setup until it recognizes the remote, and I'm stuck because the remote doesn't even show up in device manager. I have a new mini-USB cable on the way from Amazon, just in case that's the issue. It should be here on Friday.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what else the problem could be, or how to solve my issue?

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
What OS are you on?

I'd have a butchers at the Logitech Support forum. I had a quick look, and I believe the remote shows up under network devices? And may show up without needing drivers under Windows 7:

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Zaii posted:

What OS are you on?

I'd have a butchers at the Logitech Support forum. I had a quick look, and I believe the remote shows up under network devices? And may show up without needing drivers under Windows 7:

I'm on Windows 7. I saw that it may be a network device already, but that adapter doesn't show up there. I'll try the Logitech forums in addition.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I've got a pair of Infinity Primus 150's and an older Denon 5.1 channel receiver. It doesn't do HDMI, so I've got a Panny plasma with a Chromecast and not much else hooked to it and then optical out to the receiver. Any suggestions for a next upgrade? One of those Polk PSW10 subs is tempting, but I'm not totally sold.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

amenenema posted:

I've got a pair of Infinity Primus 150's and an older Denon 5.1 channel receiver. It doesn't do HDMI, so I've got a Panny plasma with a Chromecast and not much else hooked to it and then optical out to the receiver. Any suggestions for a next upgrade? One of those Polk PSW10 subs is tempting, but I'm not totally sold.

Are you getting actual surround sound out from the TV to the receiver? Many TVs will only forward stereo audio on the optical link, which will let you do ProLogic "fake surround" but not DTS/DolbyDigital. (The receiver usually gives some indication about the audio format currently received.) If you do get full surround sound out (some high-end TVs do provide this), then you might also consider upgrading with a center speaker and/or surrounds!

Yes, a subwoofer is also a great upgrade, if you live in a house or have cool neighbours.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 7, 2013

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Are you getting actual surround sound out from the TV to the receiver? Many TVs will only forward stereo audio on the optical link, which will let you do ProLogic "fake surround" but not DTS/DolbyDigital. (The receiver usually gives some indication about the audio format currently received.) If you do get full surround sound out (some high-end TVs do provide this), then you might also consider upgrading with a center speaker and/or surrounds!

Yes, a subwoofer is also a great upgrade, if you live in a house or have cool neighbours.

The only true DTS I get is when I'm watching broadcast TV. The optical out from the TV doesn't do passthrough. That's cool though, because the room is funny and surrounds would just be a pain (plus I rarely watch movies that would take advantage of surround, not much of an action guy).

I think it mainly comes down to: should I add a subwoofer or just upgrade the Primuses (Primii?) to towers? Looking for a bit more bass but open to other suggestions.

fralbjabar
Jan 26, 2007
I am a meat popscicle.

ryan_woody posted:

I got a Logitech Harmony 900 remote a few years ago, and then put it in storage for a couple years when I got deployed with the military. Now I have a new laptop and a couple new components to my AV setup, so I tried to install the Harmony software and reconfigure my setup.

Now, however, I can't get the remote to recognize the USB connection. I can't progress with the software setup until it recognizes the remote, and I'm stuck because the remote doesn't even show up in device manager. I have a new mini-USB cable on the way from Amazon, just in case that's the issue. It should be here on Friday.

Does anybody have any ideas as to what else the problem could be, or how to solve my issue?

The harmony drivers are a complete crapshoot and work or don't work according to the alignment of the stars and planets. If you're using the standalone drivers I'd try using the myharmony site to manage your remote, the drivers it installs to connect to the remote seem to get a lot more development and have fewer problems for me at least. YMMV though, I don't have a 900 and every goddamn one of these remotes seems to be finicky about drivers in a slightly different way.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm about to embark on a den remodel in our new home and I'm trying to find some inspiration. I was hoping someone in here may have built or seen something similar to what I have in mind.

I'd like to work with a local woodworker to build a wall of the den out as a built-in media center w/ slat wall & flush doors/drawers for components to be tucked away in. I have been looking for examples of people doing wood slat-wall style entertainment centers but havent been able to find something similar to what I have in mind.

Has anyone seen anything along these lines?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't envision exactly what you want, however I would look into Ikea's wall system that you mount, and then have modular units that can be changed around. Custom cabinets scare me because the A/V center of a home is always changing every few years, and people often want to upgrade and then are limited by their shelves.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jonathan posted:

I can't envision exactly what you want, however I would look into Ikea's wall system that you mount, and then have modular units that can be changed around. Custom cabinets scare me because the A/V center of a home is always changing every few years, and people often want to upgrade and then are limited by their shelves.

sorry, should've linked to an example:

this is what I mean by slat wall

http://cdn.freshome.com/2011/11/23/wood-walls-inspiration-30-walls-of-wood-for-modern-homes/

and I guess my thinking was that drawers/cabinets won't really be changing that much so far as you have decent pass-throughs for cabling and potentially adjustable shelving. The only thing I'd have to take into consideration was if I had a hole in the wall that was for a flush-mounted say 65" TV and then TV aspect ratios change dramatically or something. Even then I think it might be worth it or I may be able to get creative with the design in such a way that allows for the tv opening to be reconfigured/resized.... that or I just make it so the TV mounts on top of the wall rather than being inset.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

For what it's worth, when we were home shopping, we saw many homes built in the 90's where people had built ins for either a large CRT or rear projection and then they would have their LCD on a stand in front of the built ins.

It looked absolutely terrible.

Standards change all the time. I certainly wouldn't make a built in for a tv.

Components have pretty much kept the same form factor but then again you have things like blu ray players and gaming systems that are smaller.

If it's your forever home, might be fine but if you plan to sell it someday, I'd keep that in mind.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The current trends seem to be that large TVs are becoming very affordable. Like this black friday there were so many 60in TVs deals. Also streaming is becoming so big that you almost don't need to worry about components. We're not there yet but we're getting there. I'm wall mounting a TV in my bedroom soon and I'm not too worried about ease of getting components in because I figure in a couple of years it won't need anything but a wifi signal.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Ramadu posted:

How much is that couch? I've been looking for something that looks liek that, too bad its probably not on amazon

3 years ago I discovered these dudes online http://colemanfurniture.com/ It seemed shady as hell but I went with it. 2 weeks later I got my furniture in perfect condition. I think I saved about $500 by buying through them compared to an Ashley store. They carry Ashley furniture as well and the delivery process is weird. They will call you up and be like "yo I will be in your area tomorrow morning can we deliver?" but it was worth it. Several friends of mine have used them since.

ryan_woody posted:

As someone else suggested use the website myharmony.com to set it up. I had the same problem you were experiencing when using the logitech software but the website worked perfectly. I think if got hung up on the website once but I just unplugged it until it was recognized

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

The Dave posted:

The current trends seem to be that large TVs are becoming very affordable. Like this black friday there were so many 60in TVs deals. Also streaming is becoming so big that you almost don't need to worry about components. We're not there yet but we're getting there. I'm wall mounting a TV in my bedroom soon and I'm not too worried about ease of getting components in because I figure in a couple of years it won't need anything but a wifi signal.

My thinking I guess was to have everything hidden in drawers (w/ IR repeater or something mounted somewhere) other than the TV and speakers. Component size wouldn't matter if there is a cabinet w/ adjustable shelves in it... even if components all go away in the next ten years you could still use the shelves for other gadgets or cleaning supplies that you want to keep out of sight. The TV hole would be the only thing that would be harder to deal with. I'm still open to the idea of just mounting a tv on the face of a wall like this, I was just hoping to track down any examples of people who have done this slat-wall style. The idea is we have a basement den that has one wall that will be the most obvious for putting a tv on, it's a common wall between the den and the laundry room so it would be easy to cut holes in it to pass cabling through if we needed to. I just thought it would be a nice clean way to build a unique media center w/ everything but the tv being hidden away in drawers/cabinets.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

MMD3 posted:

My thinking I guess was to have everything hidden in drawers (w/ IR repeater or something mounted somewhere) other than the TV and speakers. Component size wouldn't matter if there is a cabinet w/ adjustable shelves in it... even if components all go away in the next ten years you could still use the shelves for other gadgets or cleaning supplies that you want to keep out of sight. The TV hole would be the only thing that would be harder to deal with. I'm still open to the idea of just mounting a tv on the face of a wall like this, I was just hoping to track down any examples of people who have done this slat-wall style. The idea is we have a basement den that has one wall that will be the most obvious for putting a tv on, it's a common wall between the den and the laundry room so it would be easy to cut holes in it to pass cabling through if we needed to. I just thought it would be a nice clean way to build a unique media center w/ everything but the tv being hidden away in drawers/cabinets.

No reason not to do it if you want to for aesthetics. Just keep in mind that components in drawers could have cooling issues unless you implement some active cooling. A lot of people use computer case fans and so forth for that.

I certainly understand the allure of having everything look seamless and "built in" to the home so don't feel like I'm saying don't do it. It is a large reason I'm going with in-ceiling speakers in the living room of my house even though the sound won't be as good as stand alone speakers.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

MMD3 posted:

Have you thought about relocating whatever components you'll want to use to a closet or something instead? Once you go the route of built-ins, what happens if you decide to use the room as a bedroom/guest room? Or if you sell your house and someone has the same idea? It may just be my personality but I don't like the idea of built-ins just because you're really stuck with whats there unless you rip it out.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

dreesemonkey posted:

Have you thought about relocating whatever components you'll want to use to a closet or something instead? Once you go the route of built-ins, what happens if you decide to use the room as a bedroom/guest room? Or if you sell your house and someone has the same idea? It may just be my personality but I don't like the idea of built-ins just because you're really stuck with whats there unless you rip it out.

it would be easy enough to cut a hole in the pre-existing wall and put a cabinet in it w/ a screen front. We might just end up pushing that wall out into the laundry room a few feet though too to make more room in the den.

I guess the alternative would be to find some clean/modern A/V furniture but I feel like most of the nice consoles I've found are $2-3k and for that much we could probably do a built-in for not much more and have something that is completely custom.

Does anyone have examples of really clean examples of A/V home theater installs that don't scream "home theater" with large plush reclining chairs and such? We like movies and tv shows a lot and want the den to feel cozy but we don't need to be able to seat 10 people and the goal would be to hide away as much of the cabling and components as possible.

This is sort of the aesthetic we're going for w/ the rest of our remodel, we just want a den/tv room that works with it: http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/slideshows/slide-show-the-bright-way-to-design-march-2013#slide=1

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

MMD3 posted:

Does anyone have examples of really clean examples of A/V home theater installs that don't scream "home theater" with large plush reclining chairs and such?

Something like this maybe? Small high quality active monitors, subwoofer to match, electronics mostly hidden inside the console.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

MMD3 posted:

it would be easy enough to cut a hole in the pre-existing wall and put a cabinet in it w/ a screen front. We might just end up pushing that wall out into the laundry room a few feet though too to make more room in the den.

I guess the alternative would be to find some clean/modern A/V furniture but I feel like most of the nice consoles I've found are $2-3k and for that much we could probably do a built-in for not much more and have something that is completely custom.

Does anyone have examples of really clean examples of A/V home theater installs that don't scream "home theater" with large plush reclining chairs and such? We like movies and tv shows a lot and want the den to feel cozy but we don't need to be able to seat 10 people and the goal would be to hide away as much of the cabling and components as possible.

This is sort of the aesthetic we're going for w/ the rest of our remodel, we just want a den/tv room that works with it: http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/slideshows/slide-show-the-bright-way-to-design-march-2013#slide=1

So the laundry room is on the other side of the wall? If you don't particularly care about aesthetics in the laundry room, you could do a small server rack mounted somewhere up on a wall with your components in there, and then just have your HDMI/wires run through the wall to the TV and speakers.

Here is what we did in our living room, sorry it's the best picture I have (this was 6 months ago and the drywall is still not finished, haha)

TV and in-wall speakers. The small coat closet behind to the left holds our blu ray player, everything else is run to a server rack in the basement. I have HDMI over CAT5 and and IR repeater setup and everything works great over 40-50' of cabling. This confusing chart shows our setup.

You could easily do a slat wall incorporated into something similar. On the bright side it's clean/minimalist because nothing is poking it's way into the room taking up space.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Hob_Gadling posted:

Something like this maybe? Small high quality active monitors, subwoofer to match, electronics mostly hidden inside the console.

yeah, this is closer to what I had in mind... maybe some low drawers to put media, controllers, remotes, etc. in.

dreesemonkey posted:

So the laundry room is on the other side of the wall? If you don't particularly care about aesthetics in the laundry room, you could do a small server rack mounted somewhere up on a wall with your components in there, and then just have your HDMI/wires run through the wall to the TV and speakers.

Here is what we did in our living room, sorry it's the best picture I have (this was 6 months ago and the drywall is still not finished, haha)

TV and in-wall speakers. The small coat closet behind to the left holds our blu ray player, everything else is run to a server rack in the basement. I have HDMI over CAT5 and and IR repeater setup and everything works great over 40-50' of cabling. This confusing chart shows our setup.

You could easily do a slat wall incorporated into something similar. On the bright side it's clean/minimalist because nothing is poking it's way into the room taking up space.

yeah, that's totally an option, I was already planning on putting some kind of rack in the corner of the laundry room w/ the cable modem, router, media server, etc. It wouldn't be hard to just put whatever additional components I need to back there either.

only thing that will be painful is if I have to get rid of my tower speakers that I just got last year in order to get something smaller that I can wall-mount.

this is a built-in cabinet that I really like:
http://www.homeadore.com/2013/04/23/nyc-apartment-eisner-design/

and these are examples of about how much space we'll have to work with in the den:

http://cdn.freshome.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Walls-of-Wood-5.jpg

http://www.houzz.com/photos/1301954/Fabulous-Flat-modern-media-room-new-york

I'll make sure to post the progress here as we get going on it... we're working with designers and a contractor so I won't be building it myself but I want to make sure I have a pretty clear idea of what I want in mind before the designers get started.

MMD3 fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 10, 2013

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Those examples make it seem like a pretty good sized room, I think you could keep the tower speakers if you really wanted to.

But anyway, it's your house and money - do what YOU want :)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
MMD3,

Whatever you decide, run your ideas by us. Its fun to play audio video dress up with other peoples money.

I really like the idea of a minimalist a/v setup. Where you have a display on the wall, and some nice lighting in the room, but no visible speakers, cords or components. Lots of furniture have built in remote and game controller drawers.

My setup has no visible components. They're all on a closet off the main room. I used a cheap 5 shelf polymer home depot garage shelf thing as an equipment rack. Allows easy access and is modular with room for anything.

I made my runs in the ceiling for the surrounds etc.

My speakers are too large to hide, but you could do in wall speakers. There are also plenty of very good high efficiency quality speakers in wall mountable bookshelf form. The subwoofer can be placed in a corner somewhere out if view or used as a corner table. If you don't want to go big on bass, you could always install tactile shakers in your furniture.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

MMD3,

Whatever you decide, run your ideas by us. Its fun to play audio video dress up with other peoples money.

I really like the idea of a minimalist a/v setup. Where you have a display on the wall, and some nice lighting in the room, but no visible speakers, cords or components. Lots of furniture have built in remote and game controller drawers.

My setup has no visible components. They're all on a closet off the main room. I used a cheap 5 shelf polymer home depot garage shelf thing as an equipment rack. Allows easy access and is modular with room for anything.

I made my runs in the ceiling for the surrounds etc.

My speakers are too large to hide, but you could do in wall speakers. There are also plenty of very good high efficiency quality speakers in wall mountable bookshelf form. The subwoofer can be placed in a corner somewhere out if view or used as a corner table. If you don't want to go big on bass, you could always install tactile shakers in your furniture.

If you did a projector, you could conceivably hide even the screen. Either have a motorized screen come from the ceiling, or paint the wall with special screen paint.

The projector would be easy enough to hide above a fake ceiling.

Edit:

Comedy option?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFXlAt5-hTk

KillHour fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 11, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A 420 horsepower 8 speed luxury KIA is a reasonable solution for his home theater design questions. Not comedy at all!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

jonathan posted:

A 420 horsepower 8 speed luxury KIA is a reasonable solution for his home theater design questions. Not comedy at all!

It has an optional 17 speaker, 900 watt Lexicon sound system! (I'm bad at tabbed browsing. :downs:)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Well here are some actual photos of the space for you guys...

The house was built in the 20's and an 80 year old lady had been living in it for the past 50 years so it's kind of a blank canvas and we have no qualms about gutting literally everything.... the bones of the house are really great though so we're going to have fun w/ the remodel.

The wall on the far left is where the tv would be, you can see that when we take out the furnace there will already be a hole we could use for a cabinet.

The wall we are planning on putting the TV against is the one on the right side in this shot... no good straight-on shots of the wall unfortunately, I'll have to go back through photos and see if I took anything that's actually facing that wall.

This is the back side of that wall in the laundry room... the oil furnace is coming out and we're putting in a much smaller gas furnace. We'r'e also demo'ing that brick chimney and re-arranging the washer/dryer because currently the washer which you can see is right at the bottom of the stairs and you have to walk around it to get to the den. I'm thinking some kind of network/av rack could go against that wall behind where the furnace currently is but there's also the possibility of just pushing that wall back even further to make more room in the den since it's not load-bearing.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
and this is what I had in mind as far as slat wall... this is from a friend's place, they used some pretty amazing spalted maple:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Wow, is wood paneling back in fashion? You better watch that stuff, dude. Once that trend is over, it's gonna be hideous again like it was last year. Better hope it doesn't take 35 years to come back into fashion...

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Measure those floor tiles, MMD3. If they're 9"x9" they're almost certainly asbestos containing. If they're 12x12 there's still a chance. Even then the mastic underneath could be hot. Unless you know for a fact that the floor was re-done in the 90's or something, think about what you're doing before you start ripping those up.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

BigFactory posted:

Measure those floor tiles, MMD3. If they're 9"x9" they're almost certainly asbestos containing. If they're 12x12 there's still a chance. Even then the mastic underneath could be hot. Unless you know for a fact that the floor was re-done in the 90's or something, think about what you're doing before you start ripping those up.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain they've got asbestos in them, our siding is asbestos. We're working with a general contractor who will deal with it. I'm not sure if he's going to do it by the books w/ remediation or not but he didn't seem very phased by it... we might just put something on top of it too depending on what we decide.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
This looks a lot better in person, so excuse the crappy photo. But, I recently got a 65" HDTV for super cheap and had the stand I was using my 50" on, and it kinda dwarfs it...but it fits. Problem is, with the hard wood floor and the way the house is constructed, when there's more than a couple of people in the living room, the TV will very slightly wobble from side to side and it worries me. It's not very noticeable unless you're looking at it or there's a lot of people in the living room walking/stomping around. Is this because of my TV stand being too small or do I need to find some kind of supports I can put up on the sides of the TV? Wall mounting it is out of the question because of the layout of the room puts it in front of a window.

And yeah, cable management...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Are the TV's supports fully on the stand? If so, I wouldn't worry too much, since it's going to wobble even on a larger stand.

I'd be slightly more concerned that it can hold the weight of the TV, but I imagine it's not really a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Putting a rug or rubber footings under the stand might dampen the vibration a bit.