Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
As if anyone but Sasha would steal Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Well, she would just steal the Christmas ham and those other trimmings.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Nahxela posted:

Well, she would just steal the Christmas ham and those other trimmings.

In the words of the immortal Samwise Gamgee...

PO-TAY-TOES!

coathat
May 21, 2007

New chapter comes out Sunday! This crunchyroll manga thing is neat.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Whoops, wrong thread.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Dec 4, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
With all remaining non-traitor members of the 104th Trainee Squad shuffled into Levi's squad, and given that they were moved there by Erwin for the express reason of endangering Eren's friends so that Erwin can see if Eren has more unlockable Titan powers, it's a near-certainty that at least one of them is doomed to death. Anyone wants to guess who's the first one to go? My bet is on Sasha, because:

(a) In the last character popularity poll, she was the most popular character after the power trio of Levi, Eren and Mikasa, so her death would be the most shocking to fans; and

(b) Isayama had already planned to off her during the Monkey Titan invasion, so he'd just be getting back to his original schedule anyway.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
I hate 99% of anime and mange due to repetitive tropes, overly simplistic plot, shallow character archetypes, and generic art-style; but this is probably the first anime I've watched that I've completely enjoyed. As a non-ADTRW poster, what else would you guys recommend to read/watch? I tried the latest Berserk movie (Golden Egg), and I thought it was was too slow and homoerotic, plus the art style overly relied on 3d models and was ugly as balls.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 30, 2017

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

CountingWizard posted:

I hate 99% of anime and mange due to repetitive tropes, overly simplistic plot, shallow character archetypes, and generic art-style; but this is probably the first anime I've watched that I've completely enjoyed. As a non-ADTRW poster, what else would you guys recommend to read/watch? I tried the latest Berserk movie (Golden Egg), and I thought it was was too slow and homoerotic, plus the art style overly relied on 3d models and was ugly as balls.

Don't worry, we hate 99% of anime and manga because of that too! Fun fact -- most anime and manga are generic terrible poo poo for otakus.

You might want to try Full Metal Alchemist or Claymore for mangas. If you don't mind a cutesy art style (but the plot gets quite dark in an Attack on Titan way), you could try watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

We've got a whole thread which would be more than happy to recommend you stuff.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

CountingWizard posted:

The Berserk manga is literally the best thing I've ever read but neither of the animated adaptations have done it justice.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Wrestling and Superheroes are way more homoerotic than Berserk is.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

DrSunshine posted:

You might want to try Full Metal Alchemist or Claymore for mangas.

Speaking of Claymore, the creator of Claymore had an earlier manga called Angel Densetsu which is also pretty good, if you can get past the more primitive art style.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
+1 to beserk MANGA
+1 to Claymore. Anime is faithful till the end (Rigaldo)

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

CountingWizard posted:

Blah Blah Blah animes

There's like 2 threads on the front page for recommendations. Pro hint though catch up on great anime movies, that'll solve you problems.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

You might want to try the ADTRWiki, although the Attack on Titan page there is pretty scant.

Also, hating Berserk for being too homoerotic is like hating Attack on Titan for featuring angry people.

e: You probably shouldn't post in the manga thread if you just watched it.

e2: Of course, I forgot to tell you to watch the Legend of Galactic Heroes. VVV

Did you just recommend Legend of Galactic Heroes to someone who found Berserk too homoerotic because they're not gonna get through the first bridge scene with ~Kircheis~

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Another recommendation for the Berserk manga. If you really don't want to read it then check out the original anime from the 90s; it's way better than the movies.

Other random examples of good (though not necessarily at all like AoT) manga:
Vinland Saga (historical fiction about vikings set around the year 1000, it's really really really loving good.)
Dorohedoro (the universe it takes place in is basically Alice in Wonderland as done by Clive Barker (so if you've read his Abarat books, it's basically like that))

KoB
May 1, 2009

JosephWongKS posted:

With all remaining non-traitor members of the 104th Trainee Squad shuffled into Levi's squad, and given that they were moved there by Erwin for the express reason of endangering Eren's friends so that Erwin can see if Eren has more unlockable Titan powers, it's a near-certainty that at least one of them is doomed to death. Anyone wants to guess who's the first one to go? My bet is on Sasha, because:

(a) In the last character popularity poll, she was the most popular character after the power trio of Levi, Eren and Mikasa, so her death would be the most shocking to fans; and

(b) Isayama had already planned to off her during the Monkey Titan invasion, so he'd just be getting back to his original schedule anyway.

I doubt anyone will die, none of the main characters have so far.

coathat
May 21, 2007

There's a new Attack on Titan 4koma gag manga in this new digital magazine thing.

https://www.mangabox.me/reader/SpoofonTitan/first/

of bees
Dec 28, 2009

KoB posted:

Several 'main' characters (they were as much of a main character as Sasha or Connie, at least) are either dead or effectively removed from the story, so I would say it is possible.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I picked up the first few volumes of the manga this week, and in the very first volume ( which ends on Eren gettin' chomped ), they include an interview with the author. In this interview, which I hope no one read, they straight up say that Eren is a titan. :argh: Spoilers, people!

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

KoB posted:

Sasha isn't a main character, though? That is, unless you're considering anyone who has stuck around for more than a few chapters to be main characters. In which case, Squad Levi. Not to mention, as said, she was already slated to die earlier. So it's not like it's never crossed his mind.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

coathat posted:

There's a new Attack on Titan 4koma gag manga in this new digital magazine thing.

I love these, especially the strip where Bert thinks he's been found out.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

coathat posted:

Oh lord, these are making me giggle like an idiot.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 30, 2017

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I'd even go a step further. So far, there has been not a single important character death. Those who died may have had names, but they didn't impact the plot in any way. Killing off extras with a few lines of backstory makes the story look harsh and gives everyone else something to be melodramatic about, but it doesn't cause any new plot developments.

I mean, seriously. Probably the most important death now has been Hannes. He motivated Eren a bit. That's all. Which isn't bad, of course, not every story has to murder a Ned Stark.

Now, if the story actually killed off Annie or Pixie - characters that may have completed their arc, and whose death would kick off a whole ton of new developments - then, maybe, we could call the series daring in regards to character deaths. If it had actually killed of Eren, Mikasa or Armin, THEN we can start talking.

I'm fine with the moderate plot armor we've got going on so far, though. It's not ridiculous so far or anything.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I find Attack on Titan impressive, not in how it doesn't have plot armor, but how strong the illusion of there not being any is. Every new chapter feels like it could be someone's last, every other page could have a new titan peeking around the corner to eat up a character like it was a potato. And while we haven't had any 'important' deaths, it still feels very real and as though it could happen at any moment.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Terper posted:

I find Attack on Titan impressive, not in how it doesn't have plot armor, but how strong the illusion of there not being any is. Every new chapter feels like it could be someone's last, every other page could have a new titan peeking around the corner to eat up a character like it was a potato. And while we haven't had any 'important' deaths, it still feels very real and as though it could happen at any moment.

Yeah, this. AoT doesn't kill off its main characters, it's just really good at fooling you into thinking who's a main character.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

coathat posted:

There was another, much longer set of 4koma by the same artist that were really funny as well. Saw those awhile ago and couldn't help but chuckle at them since most of them dealt with Mikasa's obsession with Eren. Or is that set already common knowledge in the thread? I haven't really been following it until recently.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

VVV: yeah, I wanted to say hat AoT was even more lenient, but I think some would disagree at least on Marco and Levi's Squad.
Marco honestly never struck me as a terribly important or developed character. He really just seemed to hang around as "The Nice Guy" and ended up getting offed to help Jean get some character development. As for Levi's squad I would kind of say that Petra was a fully realized character in her own right since she got a fair bit of screen time but the other members seemed kind of disposable. Olio (was that his name?) pretty much struck me as naught but comic relief.

InequalityGodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 6, 2013

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

"Feeble"[/quote posted:

Marco honestly never struck me as a terribly important or developed character. He really just seemed to hang around as "The Nice Guy" and ended up getting offed to help Jean get some character development. As for Levi's squad I would kind of say that Petra was a fully realized character in her own right since she got a fair bit of screen time but the other members seemed kind of disposable. Olio (was that his name?) pretty much struck me as naught but comic relief.

It's sort of been said before, but a lot of the people that have died--and actually a pretty good handful of the characters still alive--are undeveloped/1-dimensional if you really think about them, but one of Isayama's strengths as a storyteller is that these characters are very relatable and you end up feeling for them when they die.

Sticking with Levi's squad, I feel like Levi's and Petra's development sort rubbed off on the other guys so that the team as a whole was a character or thing we relate to. We knew about Levi, we knew about his squad and how he selected the squad, we saw how much Levi cares about his soldiers and in turn how much Petra cares about Levi, and so when we get introduced to someone like Olio, who's defining traits are "idolized Levi; boasts; bites tongue", we can infer a lot about his character and he gets more well-rounded as a result.

Imagine how awfully glacial the pace would be if, on the other hand, Isayama told us everyone's background explicitly and developed them all through a shitload of flashbacks and filler. I'm glad he has the skill to know when to trust his audience to fill in the blanks.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Torquemadras posted:

I'd even go a step further. So far, there has been not a single important character death. Those who died may have had names, but they didn't impact the plot in any way. Killing off extras with a few lines of backstory makes the story look harsh and gives everyone else something to be melodramatic about, but it doesn't cause any new plot developments.

I mean, seriously. Probably the most important death now has been Hannes. He motivated Eren a bit. That's all. Which isn't bad, of course, not every story has to murder a Ned Stark.

Now, if the story actually killed off Annie or Pixie - characters that may have completed their arc, and whose death would kick off a whole ton of new developments - then, maybe, we could call the series daring in regards to character deaths. If it had actually killed of Eren, Mikasa or Armin, THEN we can start talking.

I'm fine with the moderate plot armor we've got going on so far, though. It's not ridiculous so far or anything.

I just want to say that Marco's death kicked off everything that happened with Annie. He wasn't just killed then grieved for a few panels and forgotten about, it was a key piece of the Female Titan arc puzzle.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Edit: Never mind this.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

TK-31 posted:

I just want to say that Marco's death kicked off everything that happened with Annie. He wasn't just killed then grieved for a few panels and forgotten about, it was a key piece of the Female Titan arc puzzle.

Marco was also there primarily to force Jean's character development and for Armin's observation later on.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Breaky posted:

Marco was also there primarily to force Jean's character development and for Armin's observation later on.

Yeah he made a minor difference but I wouldn't say his death kicked off everything in the female titan arc? She wanted to capture Eren because he could turn into a Titan I don't think Marco mattered at all besides as a source of 3d gear.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

The death of Marco mattered to us because it was part of putting the pieces together. It is less that he was a plot critical character (he wasn't) and more that remembering the details of his death was important. A minor character dies in the background? Okay. A minor character dies in the background and this turns out to be important later? Oh poo poo I better start paying attention to these guys.

It makes you care but in a different, more morbid way I guess.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

That's exactly the kind of character death I'm talking about. When the impact of a character's death can be rather summarized as "Dude died" than "[Character name] died", you know it's not exactly world-shattering.

This is just fine, though. As mentioned before, the story doesn't have to be about all the dying dudes out there. AoT is pretty good in maintaining an atmosphere of constant dread. Offing not-really-important characters is part of that. I'm fine with it and I certainly hope the manga doesn't ever get too transparent about it.

I have to say one thing though: when Eren was thought dead, I was IMMEDIATELY hooked and thought it was a bold move. The only reason I wasn't incredibly disappointed by Eren's revival was the fact that we got Eren Titan out of it. I truly hope the author actually does some daring death like that at some point of the future, because he certainly proved he can fake one.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I still hold out hope that a major character is going to bite it eventually, but I know it will never be Armin. By the end of this he's going to be a PTSD broken shell of a man forced to live to old age and Remember the Titans until the day he dies alone.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

D1Sergo posted:

I still hold out hope that a major character is going to bite it eventually, but I know it will never be Armin. By the end of this he's going to be a PTSD broken shell of a man forced to live to old age and Remember the Titans until the day he dies alone.
I feel like Annie probably isn't gonna make a return. AoT already pulled its main character back from the dead pretty much right out of the gate, but there was way too much of Eren set-up and not followed-through for him not to return. Annie on the other hand has pretty much served her narrative purpose, and with a decent number of other Teen Titans exposed there's not a good reason to go back to her besides largely non-existent audience demand. If Sasha gets killed on the other hand, I wouldn't put a cop-out past them :sax:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
So does anyone know what's going on with the chapter? The raws are out and have been so for a while now but noone has translated them yet which is really odd.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I wouldn't worry about it. The series is so popular that it'll probably get translated in a day or two and we'll all be sperging over the latest rad thing that happened that CHANGES EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

I just checked on Crunchyroll. Says we have about 12 and a half hours before the next chapter comes out. That's about 7pm Eastern for us in the USA. ...something to look forward to tonight.