Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Red Dog Saloon isn't quite central but it's the closest BBQ place I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Pitt Cue is even better but doesn't take bookings either. I'm actually struggling to think of a bbq/burger place that does.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Duke's practically requires you to book

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Any suggestions for a bar in Camden that serves passable cocktails and beer and won't be too heaving on a Saturday night?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bollock Monkey posted:

Any suggestions for a bar in Camden that serves passable cocktails and beer and won't be too heaving on a Saturday night?

Camden, Saturday night, not too busy. I can do any two out of those three. :P

Failing that, Brewdog?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

The_Doctor posted:

Camden, Saturday night, not too busy. I can do any two out of those three. :P

Failing that, Brewdog?
Turns out the Spiritual Caipirinha Bar fits 2/3, with the lack of busy-ness being one of them! Hurrah!

Jonathan_H
Jan 20, 2006
I'm looking for an awesome italian place to take my girlfriend for her birthday before we go to the Theatre. Looking Soho/Covent Garden/Regent Street area although could travel further out if theres some particularly awesome.

There seems to be millions of places around Covent Garden, just not sure what the best is and TripAdvisor isn't really helping/worth trusting when Bella Italia & Zizzi's are near the top of the list.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jonathan_H posted:

I'm looking for an awesome italian place to take my girlfriend for her birthday before we go to the Theatre. Looking Soho/Covent Garden/Regent Street area although could travel further out if theres some particularly awesome.

There seems to be millions of places around Covent Garden, just not sure what the best is and TripAdvisor isn't really helping/worth trusting when Bella Italia & Zizzi's are near the top of the list.

Polpo.

You want to go to Polpo. Order lots, have some cocktails, it's pretty great.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

Was in London for 6 days last week and had some fantastic meals at Bull & Last, The Drapers Arms, St. John, The Pie Masters in Box Park, The Breakfast Club in Angel, Roast in Borough Market, Masters Super Fish, and at the food market outside the Southbank Centre. It's a tough call to pick out a favorite but I think Bull & Last, Drapers and St. John were the tops, although the food at Roast was amazing too. We hit the bar area of St. John for lunch and found it to be a pretty reasonable way to try out the place. Roast marrow bones!

We also had a good curry at Gulshan Tandoori, cheese at Neal's Yard Dairy, salt beef bagel at Beigel Bake, nibbles at the Well, some doner kebab at a little joint and an English breakfast near Smithfields (after we discovered that the Cock Tavern is gone). All in all a pretty tremendous few days of eating!

Alkazard.exe
Mar 25, 2008
Incase person this is intended for is reading, read no further.

Trying to organise a last minute place for a bit of a get together on Friday night (I know.. short notice). Not looking for anything too fancy, it's all mostly early 20 travellers, probably 10-12 of us.
I was thinking of trying Pitt Cue Co., but I'm guessing both having 12 people and the queue could be problematic? Is it still as packed out as the start of the thread says?
Are there any other suggestions?

Also happy to take any suggestions on a decent priced place to drink in central (near Soho, Leicester Square, etc). Not looking for something too fancy, typical £4-5/beer, £7~ a mixer would be ideal. We have a few we regular in the area, but wanna try somewhere new and different.

Any help muchly appreciated!

Edit:
Looking at recent pages there's the likes of Bodean, Bocca di Lupo, Bob Bob Ricard, Coal Vaults also an option. Depends on who ends up coming I guess.
*Thinking out aloud :D *

Alkazard.exe fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Dec 5, 2013

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Alkazard.exe posted:

I was thinking of trying Pitt Cue Co., but I'm guessing both having 12 people and the queue could be problematic?

Considering they only have 18 seats total, very likely. Bodean's would be a much better choice, and are bookable, but I'd do it, like, now.

Also remember that we are now in Christmas party season, so places will have tons of bookings already. M'colleague has already had 2 Xmas parties already and we're on.. the 5th. Good grief.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

What's Buddha Bar in Knightsbridge like? Going there for the office Xmas do.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

It's in Knightsbridge, so I imagine it's going to be full of insufferable posh arseholes.

edit: Not to suggest that you and yours are, but I've been out a fair bit around there and..yeah.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Pretty sure it was used as a location in Made in Chelsea recently.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
It's a work Christmas party. Make your way through the tab as fast as possible and have a good time, who cares what other people think of the venue.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm going to do that regardless, I was just curious if anyone had tried the food

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Polpo.

You want to go to Polpo. Order lots, have some cocktails, it's pretty great.

Our company Christmas party is at Polpo with a no-ceiling tab. How excited should I be and are there any cocktails I must order?

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Our company Christmas party is at Polpo with a no-ceiling tab. How excited should I be and are there any cocktails I must order?

When can I crash?

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop

Holy poo poo. You are one lucky bastard!

My company Christmas party just has nibbles and a sing-along rock and roll band in Great Portland Street. At least there's no karaoke this year. Sigh.

Going to try the Junction Tavern in Kentish Town for a team xmas lunch though - I haven't been blown away by their food before when they managed to get simple things like under-seasoning wrong a few years ago, but am optimistic. Will probably try to avoid ordering anything unnecessarily fancy and hope the chef can handle it!

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Junction Tavern changed owners earlier this year. I haven't been since to find out if it's improved though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I've been invited to my friend's tiny department Xmas party. Five of them at the Soho Hotel with a £500 budget. I'll do what I can.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
drat you all. We don't have an Xmas party this year because half the team is away and we're all too busy.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
My work xmas party is at Soho House. Aww yeahhhh tiny fish and chips :sax:

also this is what is wrong with food in London http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/870259971/maddys-fish-bar-get-us-frying

"please give us £20k to start our gentrifrycation cafe as we can't be arsed to go to Natwest and get a business loan"

Actually that's not a bad idea brb kickstarting a pub crawl

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

"Both gas and oil are scarce and we are conscious to use both most efficiently and responsibly. The frying range, which will be the heart and soul of the restaurant, is highly energy efficient using less than 40% of the energy of the average fryer and is superior in performance."

I somehow don't feel in the grand scheme of things that this will make a noticeable change to the global warming problem.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Every drop in the ocean makes a wave~

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

a) Jealous

b) Negroni

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
We're having ours at the Eight Club which will ridiculously swanky with mediocre food.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

a) Jealous

b) Negroni

Negroni? What exactly is it? And you don't have to be quite as jealous, I just found out we're on a set menu although I think the drink tab is still unlimited. However the big parent company party is the same night so I have to pace myself somewhat.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

Negroni? What exactly is it? And you don't have to be quite as jealous, I just found out we're on a set menu although I think the drink tab is still unlimited. However the big parent company party is the same night so I have to pace myself somewhat.

Wikipedia posted:

The Negroni cocktail is made of one part gin, one part vermouth rosso (red, semi-sweet), and one part bitters, traditionally Campari.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
My former employer has an annual do at The Union club on Greek St, but it's not just employees, its for friends and associates too, so I'll go to that and to the party held by the sales agent selling my film, but that's about it. My company drinks would be me and my partner having a few pints at The Faltering Fullback! (Not such a bad idea, actually...)

On that note we want to take some people out for a nice lunch in Fitzrovia - not madly expensive (Roka, Fino, etc) but not cheap either. What is Sardo's like? Bam-bou I've been to a few times and I'm not in the mood. Salt Yard maybe?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

An unlimited bar tab in somewhere with cocktails as good at that is always something to be jealous of. They do a really good Old Fashioned too (If you like bourbon)

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

http://www.meza-soho.co.uk/

Works christmas part is here. Anyone been before?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

An unlimited bar tab in somewhere with cocktails as good at that is always something to be jealous of. They do a really good Old Fashioned too (If you like bourbon)

Fun tip for how to royally piss off a cocktail bartender: order an Old Fashioned when it's really busy in the bar. That stirring of ice for 8 minutes sure cuts down on the line!

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

I do, and a properly made Old Fashioned is like a work of art. Now I know what I'm going to be drinking all afternoon while eating chocolate salami.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kaiho posted:

Fun tip for how to royally piss off a cocktail bartender: order an Old Fashioned when it's really busy in the bar. That stirring of ice for 8 minutes sure cuts down on the line!

Noto to turn that into cocktail chat, but that seems like a massive waste of time.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm here in London for work (I think in Westminster) and I have a food question. Is there anywhere I can get a chip shop black pudding supper or is that a Scottish only thing?

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I work in a super fancy old Regency building and we have all the facilities to do it in our ballroom. Our chef is awesome and the budget is good though so it'll be nice. :)

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I've been to London exactly once, but Dishoom and their gunpowder potatoes blew my tiny mind. We may have been slightly starved when we walked in, so it's possible that anything would have seemed sublime. Still, it's 8 months later and the gf and I still talk about the every time we eat Indian here in the US.

That's all. I'm just spreading the gospel of those potatoes these days. If anyone knows of a recipe to approximate the dish, please share :)

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Kingston's getting a Five Guys?! Just saw it advertised outside the Odeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
What's the deal with Five Guys? I went past one and it just looked like a fast food joint.