Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I guess it fits a more traditional narrative arc for just when the heroes think they've escaped the villain, he comes back for one last mad attack before getting put down. Honestly though, if he's going this route it pretty much guarantees Tarquin dies here. Otherwise Rich might as well have had Laurin tell Tarquin no when he asked for the gate up to the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

razorrozar posted:

Here we all thought the arc was wrapping up.

It is wrapping up. We're just waiting for Tarquin's inevitable fall. :mmmhmm:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Holy poo poo. Is it on right now?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Gentlemen its time to lay down some preparations because we're getting ready to rumble!

Blackwing is still awesome.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Second time I've had a use for this today:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Okay yeah, Tarquin is definitely dying right here and right now. Possibly within 3 strips.

He has lost all of his poo poo.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

Okay yeah, Tarquin is definitely dying right here and right now. Possibly within 3 strips.

He has lost all of his poo poo.
Yes, Roy went to get potions, Julio is still climbing, dusk is getting close and one vampire cleric is going to get new spells so in a few panels Tarquin will be seriously outnumbered. Can a psionic create gates to summon more allies? Because unless Miron shows up with the rest of Tarquin's gang, it's not going to end well for him.

Why do i have the feeling it will end with the ship crashing into the gate?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Raenir Salazar posted:

Gentlemen its time to lay down some preparations because we're getting ready to rumble!

Blackwing is still awesome.

(casterfight}

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Toplowtech posted:

Because unless Miron shows up with the rest of Tarquin's gang, it's not going to end well for him.

There's no way Tarquin would die before the cat lady and that unnamed warrior dude get actual screentime, sooo...

Screw casterfight, we're looking at a full-blown guild-on-guild fight here, folks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Boo, arc continues!

Yaaaaay, caster fight!

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

blizzardvizard posted:

There's no way Tarquin would die before the cat lady and that unnamed warrior dude get actual screentime, sooo...

Those two plus Miron can show up at a later point to avenge him.

I'd say that the Chekhov's guns that have to fire before Tarquin can go out are: Laurin's favour, which can be addressed at any moment; and Sabine's revenge, which is trickier but I guess she could exact it on Tarquin's soul if he ends up in the right place.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Toplowtech posted:

dusk is getting close and one vampire cleric is going to get new spells so in a few panels Tarquin will be seriously outnumbered.

It takes a full hour of meditation for a Cleric to regain spells. Durkon isn't going to cleric ex machina this fight.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Well now Julio needs to die because Elan needs a new rapier.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I thought Tarquin was going to be a penultimate hurdle when the order was finally closing in on Xykon, but now there's pretty much no chance of him surviving. Roy's going to smack him off the ship, I'm sure.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
If that happens, there needs to be a panel by panel copy of the Roy falling to his death comic. It would just feel right.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
No fair Vaarsuvius, Move is Psynergy so Laurin should get that. :v:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Johnny Aztec posted:

If that happens, there needs to be a panel by panel copy of the Roy falling to his death comic. It would just feel right.

Eh, if Rich were to use that visual effect again, he'd be obliged to have Tarquin survive it. Else it's just blatant repetition.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

nimby posted:

Eh, if Rich were to use that visual effect again, he'd be obliged to have Tarquin survive it. Else it's just blatant repetition.

Yeah I'd assume Tarquin's got some obscure feather fall casting magic item.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

nimby posted:

Perhaps. I think it would have some interesting parallels.

I don't think that is what will happen, however.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I love how downright Villainous Tarquin is being right now, his deranged dialogue is getting pretty sweet. I'm going to kill your girlfriend, burn this ship to the ground, chop off your hand and make sure you know that its ALL YOUR FAULT. Guy has goals, I'll say that.

edit: "Just like Nale did" :drat:

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 7, 2013

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

...Goals/plans that forgot to account for the wizard who helped thrash Mirion's rear end (along with the rest of the Order) was conspicuously absent. Or accounting for the possibility that he might not necessarily have a means of getting off of said crashing ship with his life if Laurin is incapacitated.

...I'd actually kind of like to see something along those lines now. Tarquin manages to kill the pilot, makes some final choice words towards Elan... Then realizes there's no way for him to get out of the ensuing crash. Bonus points if he ended up being directly responsible, I.E. in his rage, he deals a knockout blow to Laurin.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

D1Sergo posted:

I love how downright Villainous Tarquin is being right now, his deranged dialogue is getting pretty sweet. I'm going to kill your girlfriend, burn this ship to the ground, chop off your hand and make sure you know that its ALL YOUR FAULT. Guy has goals, I'll say that.

The best thing about that pointed out to me on the other forums is that he looks exactly like Elan when saying that, which is amazing for a stick figure comic.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

SirDan3k posted:

Yeah I'd assume Tarquin's got some obscure feather fall casting magic item.

Nothing obscure about Feather Tokens; they cost like 200 gp and every adventurer should have one.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Aaagg why can't this arc end already

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

TINA TURNER posted:

Because it's awesome and I'm loving every strip

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I enjoyed this strip. It reminded me of when V let loose on that Black Dragon. I mean, not quite that, but more the exposed viciousness and cruelty.
We knew Tarquin is evil. We knew that. However, every time he has done an evil act, he has been calm, collected, in control. That is all gone now. He is in the depth of his rage, and all limits are off. Him turning and breaking Haley's arm without even thinking was a bit of a "holy poo poo" moment, but then he hits you with the " going to kill her, everyone else, crash the ship and cut off your hand"

Edit: Actually, I just went and re-read it. Beyond the "Because that is how it is done" outburst, he is pretty well in control of himself.
Still, I like the strip.

Johnny Aztec fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 7, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anyone else notice that Tarquin's attack got Elan right under his eye, in one of the classic "hero scar" positions? Tarquin is really set on doing things "the right way", i.e. Exactly like every story before this one.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Eifert Posting posted:

Well now Julio needs to die because Elan needs a new rapier.

He can grab his dad's murderknife.

He should, too.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

Cat Mattress posted:

He can grab his dad's murderknife.

This is another great detail, he had his big ol' battleaxe and his crafty whip skills, but Tarquins' turned that knife into a murderknife for sure.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Roland Jones posted:

Anyone else notice that Tarquin's attack got Elan right under his eye, in one of the classic "hero scar" positions? Tarquin is really set on doing things "the right way", i.e. Exactly like every story before this one.

Nah, people have had that slash showing damage all the time before. Plus, the scar has got to go over the eye, not beneath it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TINA TURNER posted:

YEAH LET'S GET BACK TO CORRIDORS AND RULE GAGS

(casterfight)

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

TINA TURNER posted:

Caster fight! Caster fight!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
(Casterfight)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Is (casterfight) as epic as an ultimate duel between clerics?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Would keeping the Order out of the way make it more likely that the final Gate would be destroyed? And don't the Fiends still have time on V's soul left?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

nimby posted:

Is (casterfight) as epic as an ultimate duel between clerics?

If Laurin sticks to her "stunning and dispelling only" shtick, it could be.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
The best villains are the ones who seem like they could actually win, the ones who really have enough power to destroy the heroes (see: any villain played by Jason Isaacs).

I think that's part of what makes Tarquin so awesome.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Remora posted:

Would keeping the Order out of the way make it more likely that the final Gate would be destroyed? And don't the Fiends still have time on V's soul left?

Tarkie already believes that the heroes will get there just in time to save the day. And that if everyone but elan dies, he will just happen to find a group of like minded and similar level adventurers to help him finish the quest. He also believes elan will be the leader of said group, which is how this all got started.

Edit: aw poo I misread your post. No the order is the cause of the gates blowing up. The bad guys want to control the gate.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 7, 2013

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yes, the fiends have 20something minutes and a 3 minutes something seconds.
It seems once they activate it, lasts the whole amount. Can't do a few minutes here, a few there.
It is not going to get used here for two reasons: I really doubt they would benefit from what Tarquin has planned and that is isnt going to happen because it just happened. Doing it again so soon would not have much of an impact at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

The best thing about that pointed out to me on the other forums is that he looks exactly like Elan when saying that, which is amazing for a stick figure comic.

I thought he looked a bit different there and was wondering if there was some deeper significance to that.