Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Grammy Nominations suck this year. Nothing for Icona Pop or Pet Shop Boys or Miley Cyrus or Ariana Grande. But hey at least Lorde and Robin Thicke got nominated for every drat thing they did.

(Also, does anyone actually listen to Sara Barielles? All of her music just screams "grocery store playlist" to me.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

PUGGERNAUT posted:

But hey at least Lorde got nominated for every drat thing they did.

Deservedly so I think. It was pretty obvious that she was going to get some nominations anyway. But hey at least Miley Cyrus didn't get anything.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I love Sara Bareilles. :( Once you get past "Love Song" you find a lot of variety, wonderful lyrics, and an amazing voice. And she's got a great sense of humor.

For starters, this song from her latest album, Hercules, doesn't really strike me as 'grocery music'. And for something that sounds completely different from the same album, there's also Islands. And one of her earliest songs, City, really made me sit up and pay attention when I was listening to her first album (because of Love Song) on Spotify. It made me a fan, and I only really discovered it this August. So yeah, that's why I'm hoping she wins Album of the Year. :shobon:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Grammy Nominations suck this year. Nothing for Icona Pop or Pet Shop Boys or Miley Cyrus or Ariana Grande. But hey at least Lorde and Robin Thicke got nominated for every drat thing they did.

(Also, does anyone actually listen to Sara Barielles? All of her music just screams "grocery store playlist" to me.)

Grammy nominations suck every year.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fairly safe choices on the whole, but that's par for course with the Grammys.

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Ariana is a Mariah Carey tribute act at this point and Miley blighted the world with "SMS (Bangerz)" so this is understandable; "Applause" being entirely snubbed is a more notable sea change

"Young and Beautiful" vs. "Skyfall" is the showdown to watch of alt-popstars with "adel" in their names and matching tattoos

"Roar" vs. "Brave" for irony purposes

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PUGGERNAUT posted:

The only award on that list that I genuinely have a horse in the race is Ariel Rechtshaid for best producer because that dude loving rules.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Yeah he's brilliant

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Ed Sheeran and James Blake getting BNA nominations is hilarious.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I thought Ed Sheeran had been nominated already? Or can you only not be elgible for BNA if you were nominated and won?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rebecca Black has moved on.... to the day after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVCzdpagXOQ

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The MSJ posted:

I watched until 1m40s and it felt like eternity. I wonder if they plan to do the whole week. Perhaps we can look forward to a slow, down tempo song about the Monday blues, and a techno midweek Wednesday.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

The MSJ posted:

Hahahah, was gonna post this. I really don't like this song, but I still think it's fun to see her going on doing her stuff even though she experienced a lot of pure rage and hate when she had just released Friday.

Keep on going, Rebecca!

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I liked Friday at the time and I still do, I feel bad for her. Do your thing Rebecca Black

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Regarding Miley and the Grammys, wasn't Bangerz released too late to be considered for the 2014 awards?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Yuna's Rescue is getting stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtgmlH0fllU

Stalins Moustache posted:

Hahahah, was gonna post this. I really don't like this song, but I still think it's fun to see her going on doing her stuff even though she experienced a lot of pure rage and hate when she had just released Friday.

Keep on going, Rebecca!

She actually had a song that addressed her haters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OxWD85Ngz4

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

PUGGERNAUT posted:

What is the appeal of Robin Thicke? I normally think I'm pretty open-minded in the sense that I can say "I hate this, but I see why other people like it." But I don't get why people enjoy him or his music.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
"Blurred Lines" had an infectious beat that was reminiscent of the great Marvin Gaye's "Got to Give it Up," but generally, he's like a very poor man's Justin Timberlake, who comes across like a sleazy creep at all times.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 8, 2013

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Christmas Jones posted:

What is the appeal of Robin Thicke? I normally think I'm pretty open-minded in the sense that I can say "I hate this, but I see why other people like it." But I don't get why people enjoy him or his music.

Pharrell, good choice of song to rip off and topless models.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
Why is Rihanna considered R&B and not pop? All of her stuff sounds way poppier to me, especially her last 2 albums.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
Surprised nobody posted Lana Del Rey's new short film / triple music video Tropico:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwuHOQLSpEg

Also her new album was announced, called Ultra-Violence.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Why is Rihanna considered R&B and not pop? All of her stuff sounds way poppier to me, especially her last 2 albums.

She's black.

edit: The Grammys are an extension of music industry advertising so all the various catagories are more about markets than anything musical.

Ratios and Tendency fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 8, 2013

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Lord Krangdar posted:

Surprised nobody posted Lana Del Rey's new short film / triple music video Tropico:

Lana pursued a degree in Metaphysics, and this still seems to be what drives her, or at least she was moving back in that direction with Paradise. This is why Lorde completely missed the point by saying that Lana's lyrics were "unhealthy." "Gods and Monsters" as a microcosm of Born to Die seems to reveal here that they are meant to embody spiritual yearning, something profoundly uncool to discuss in 2013. "Body Electric" echoes the "Blue Jeans" video with the serpent and crocodiles.

And is the "Bel Air" segment meant to be an elaborate subversion of Katy Perry's "ET" video?

I am talking about her too much. Uhh, is anyone psyched for the John Mayer/Katy Perry video? Britney Jean? No? Okay.

Mermaid Autopsy fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Dec 8, 2013

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Britney Jean was so disappointing :( I thought it was going to grow on me, but it didn't. It's very forgettable.

Alien is cool though

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

She's black.

edit: The Grammys are an extension of music industry advertising so all the various catagories are more about markets than anything musical.

Ahem, Rihanna is the Black Madonna.

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Britney Jean was so disappointing :( I thought it was going to grow on me, but it didn't. It's very forgettable.

Alien is cool though

Britney Jean was pretty middling.

Oh and Charli XCX is releasing a new album in June. In hindsight the debut wasn't as great as it could've been but eh, can't win them all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Ahem, Rihanna is the Black Madonna.

I thought that was Janet Jackson?

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I thought that was Janet Jackson?

Not according to Rihanna.

Okay so she said that a couple of years ago (she also wasn't being totally serious, I guess).

Although is there really a black Madonna? It might be Janet. It might not. Do we need titles for everyone?

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

Janet Jackson really doesn't get the credit she deserves, does she?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Janet Jackson really doesn't get the credit she deserves, does she?

The thing is, Janet Jackson is really, REALLY resting on her laurels these days. Her last few albums were very lazy, not to mention the last one was released ages ago. It's been a while since she released anything noteworthy, and she really needs a big crossover hit from her next album to get back into the public consciousness.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

DominoDancing posted:

The thing is, Janet Jackson is really, REALLY resting on her laurels these days. Her last few albums were very lazy, not to mention the last one was released ages ago. It's been a while since she released anything noteworthy, and she really needs a big crossover hit from her next album to get back into the public consciousness.

What has she done for us lately :(

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Janet can pretty much do whatever she wants at this point, she's both hella rich and married to a hella rich dude, and has been writing books and starring in Tyler Perry movies and going on Greatest Hits tours and has a fashion line.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Oh and Charli XCX is releasing a new album in June. In hindsight the debut wasn't as great as it could've been but eh, can't win them all.
It's my favourite album of the year, hit after hit after hit

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The MSJ posted:

She actually had a song that addressed her haters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OxWD85Ngz4

RB is awesome. "Sing It" is probably her best song. The stuff she did with funny or die a few years ago shows that she didn't take any of the ridiculous outrage over her song that seriously, which is kind of a big deal for a seventh grader.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

It's my favourite album of the year, hit after hit after hit

I dunno, I think the singles are all truly great but somehow the other songs don't do it for me? Weird.

Also after whateverthefuck Beyonce has, out of the blue, only put a new album on iTunes without any promo or plane trip or other dumb stuff like that.

Umm…

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Sprat Sandwich posted:

I dunno, I think the singles are all truly great but somehow the other songs don't do it for me? Weird.

Also after whateverthefuck Beyonce has, out of the blue, only put a new album on iTunes without any promo or plane trip or other dumb stuff like that.

Umm…

I think it's awesome. No months of hype, no messing around, just here's a new album, surprise! Brilliant move. And apparently there are music videos for all the songs on it too. You have to admire such a brave move like this.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

the truth posted:

RB is awesome. "Sing It" is probably her best song. The stuff she did with funny or die a few years ago shows that she didn't take any of the ridiculous outrage over her song that seriously, which is kind of a big deal for a seventh grader.

And also kinda amazing, because god knows what sort of hate mail she got. She commented on the 'go die' ones, but I'm pretty sure she got much, much, much worse ones than that.
I sorta like "My Moment" a lot, for some reason. The chorus works?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Ugh, Rihanna just tied Michael Jackson for #1 Billboard Hot 100 hits. I really hope she never beats Mariah's record.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Can someone explain to me how Led Zeppelin's Kashmir is up for Best Rock Performance? Did one nomination come out of a wormhole?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

gandlethorpe posted:

Ugh, Rihanna just tied Michael Jackson for #1 Billboard Hot 100 hits. I really hope she never beats Mariah's record.

What would happen if she beat Mariah Carey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mr. Flunchy posted:

What would happen if she beat Mariah Carey?

Another seal will be broken?