Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

A week ago, I went to a private clinic featuring Andy Lally. Limited enrolment, open track all day, with plenty of advanced instructors on hand and a session with Lally driving your car meant you got all the driving and coaching you could handle in a weekend. Here's Lally strapping into my car to give it a workout:

And he proceeded to demonstrate why he is a professional - on a track he had first driven the day before, in a car he had never driven before (and had only driven a few similar cars ever), where he was sitting further back from the controls than he would have liked (my seat is fixed), he proceeded to do a warm-up lap that was about my personal best hot lap. And then the next 5 hot laps he did were about 4s faster than I could do. Unfortunately I put a locked SD card in the gopro that session, so no video. :doh:

It was incredible to watch him work the car - feeling for grip, managing the rear end end of the car, seeking to preserve corner entry speed without sacrificing exit speed. It was also interesting to see that he used a very different line in a couple of places than even experienced racers typically use at this venue. But the data generally showed that he was better or at least no worse than the more usual lines.

Anyway, the E-ticket ride plus the coaching from top notch AIs helped. I got off my previous plateau and set a new personal best lap by a full second, and I know where a couple more seconds are to be had, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
That's TWS! Joey runs a great a track.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

drgitlin posted:

That's TWS! Joey runs a great a track.

Yes indeed. It's a fantastic track to have nearby. We had people from as far away as Atlanta attend this event, and it went well for everyone. The organizers say they intend to offer more of them, perhaps even at other tracks in the US.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
So, there's a new grassroots endurance racing series! http://www.worldracingleague.org/

Three classes, based on power to weight ratios. No stupid AIVs, no themes, no cost restrictions. Current schedule has races in TX, MN, CO, with more to come. Cars that are legal in Chump and Lemons should be elligible, as are things that currently aren't AIVable in Chump.

Looks like the 12h at Brainerd will be JAB's first race of 2014!

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I've probably mentioned this before but your track rat porsche is awesome.

drgitlin posted:

So, there's a new grassroots endurance racing series! http://www.worldracingleague.org/

Three classes, based on power to weight ratios. No stupid AIVs, no themes, no cost restrictions. Current schedule has races in TX, MN, CO, with more to come. Cars that are legal in Chump and Lemons should be elligible, as are things that currently aren't AIVable in Chump.

Looks like the 12h at Brainerd will be JAB's first race of 2014!

As soon as I realized Joey was running WRL my interest in it jumped dramatically. I got in touch with my team last night, we're looking at adjusting the schedule to run the BIR WRL race...not sure if we'll run BIR twice next year or drop the Chump one.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

As soon as I realized Joey was running WRL my interest in it jumped dramatically. I got in touch with my team last night, we're looking at adjusting the schedule to run the BIR WRL race...not sure if we'll run BIR twice next year or drop the Chump one.

Yeah, when the idiot who owns the series fires you by fedex, then keeps changing the reason why, then accuses you of stealing proprietary data (I mean wtf?) you do what you have to.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
WRL looks promising. We'll probably still do the chumpcar race at our home track next year, but I don't have a whole lot of faith in Condren keeping things running that far into the future

My interaction with Joey is limited but he has always made a positive impression.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

User Error posted:

WRL looks promising. We'll probably still do the chumpcar race at our home track next year, but I don't have a whole lot of faith in Condren keeping things running that far into the future

My interaction with Joey is limited but he has always made a positive impression.

Last year a bunch of us from our team went to the USGP in Austin. A few days before, we went to TWS and Joey let us drive the track out of the pure goodness of his heart. He also found my fitbit which fell off my belt and got lost in the grass. He really is a bloody good bloke, as we say back home.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'm considering leaving the Charade disassembled and actually buy this extant rally car and make it work in NASA, Rally America, and LeMons/Chumpcar. It might be EC in Chumpcar, and penalized heavily in LeMons, but it'd be cool to concentrate time and resources on a single car.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
It may be fine but I'd be worried about how the unibody is holding up on a former rally car. Like hard-to-inspect welds separating, pickup points moving, stuff like that.

But I'm totally behind the idea of you getting a single decent car to maintain

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Blooot posted:

The day ended on down note as my car picked up a horrendous rear end banging noise somewhere along the 505 that three stops with wheels off/car up on jack stands could not diagnose so I had my car towed the last 75 miles -- thanks AAA Gold!

That's always a great feeling on the drive home when you're tired and dirty and just and to get home and then poo poo like this happens :)

Find out what it was yet? Diff would be my guess

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Thanks, man. Despite starting out doing HPDE with my DD e46 M3 cab, I mostly did DEs with Porsche Club since they were 'vert friendly and had top notch instruction. After years of hanging out with the p-car guys, one of which is an unrivalled air-cooled 911 fan with a craigslist compulsion, when I was ready to purchase a track rat I had lots of help looking for old 911s. Found this one nearby in Austin already track prepped and for a good price and couldn't say no. Glad I didn't.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

aventari posted:

That's always a great feeling on the drive home when you're tired and dirty and just and to get home and then poo poo like this happens :)

Find out what it was yet? Diff would be my guess

And what should have taken 2 hours takes 4. Well, at least I saved on fuel, and got to hear a couple hours of towin' stories.

Haven't cracked into it yet, but I am guessing the differential too. A Datsun forum guy suggested that one of the ring gear bolts may have backed out and is crashing into the inside of the case. It make sense as it is random, but rhythmic with the rotation of the rear wheels. Hoping my not so easy to acquire Subaru 4.11 R160 CLSD is OK.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Team O'Neil is having a sale:
http://media.mycustomevent.com/em_teamoneil/Attachments/links%20blackfriday.pdf

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
I am the ones who are the balllickers.
Grimey Drawer
Since the rally thread is gone (I think), Rally of the Tall Pines is this Saturday in Bancroft, Ontario, Canada. I'm unfortunately not driving this year or next due to various reasons, but I'll be co-driving in a 1991 VW Golf!

http://www.tallpinesrally.com/

Car #39. If you're in Ontario and want to spectate a rally, it's looking like a good one. 5 inches of snow last night and cold temperatures means it should be a slippery one :)

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

StimpyBoy posted:

Since the rally thread is gone (I think), Rally of the Tall Pines is this Saturday in Bancroft, Ontario, Canada. I'm unfortunately not driving this year or next due to various reasons, but I'll be co-driving in a 1991 VW Golf!

Car #39. If you're in Ontario and want to spectate a rally, it's looking like a good one. 5 inches of snow last night and cold temperatures means it should be a slippery one :)

Oh for fucks sake of course I'm heading back to Toronto this weekend.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
It's Saturday only or Sunday too? I'm just outside Toronto but have a thing sat evening.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Blooot posted:

The real action of the day was missed on camera, but the aftermath can be seen. Second lap of the first session in the D group a E92 M3 rolls after exiting turn 9 (skip to 4:00). Das Volk, that wasn't you I hope?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Qh9Xz8W04

I was out for my first session in the little red sports racer in the front of that train.

I don't know how I saw it, because it doesn't seem to be in your video, but I saw the dust in the air before turning into 9. I remember looking at the turn worker and thinking "With that big of a cloud, that has to be a yellow". It looked really bad. So, yeah, came back in.

I agree with you, the bypass is way more fun than the crow's nest. For my first couple of sessions I was fighting with the new car. It turns out that the rear brakes were not working making the car really twitchy on turn in. After that, the car was a joy to drive and my lap times dropped massively. Overall it was a good day.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Last weekend did a DE with BMWCCA Tarheel chapter at VIR and a E92 M3 caught fire in D group. :tinfoil:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thanks for posting that...I'm now figuring out what I need to sell quickly to cover flights the cost of doing https://www.belowzeroicedriving.com.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

StimpyBoy posted:

Just moved to Buffalo, hop and a skip from the border... I wish I had a passport :(

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Phone posted:

Last weekend did a DE with BMWCCA Tarheel chapter at VIR and a E92 M3 caught fire in D group. :tinfoil:

How was the track? Have they done all the repaving yet?
I'm pretty anxious to hit the front straight without the tree now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Losing the oak tree proper was more significant. I used the start/finish line as a marker so I didn't have any trouble there.

After next week they're going to start paving the track. The paddock is partially paved so far. Should be good.

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

It's Saturday only or Sunday too? I'm just outside Toronto but have a thing sat evening.

Tall Pines is always Saturday only. There are a few rallies that go over 2 days of competition, but they usually do Friday/Saturday.

It was a rally to forget for me anyways. Things were going okay to SS3 when we came into a !L4>3-/Cr i.e. a tightening left hand turn over a crest/hill, and the driver who didn't have much experience on snow/ice came in a bit too hot. It understeered on polished ice that had been exposed after our first run, and we went off. Glanced off a tree and got stuck on a huge rock. DNF for Max Late, it took a while for Sweep to pull us off the rock as the front left wheel slid over it, and then we had a bitch of a time getting the bent front left fender to stop rubbing on the tire.

1 for 5 on finishes at Tall Pines. If I include Black Bear, I'm 1 for 8 in rallies in the Bancroft region. Geez. Really need to beef up the cars for this place, and the drivers :(

If the driver posts the video, I'll link it, but it's his decision if he wants to post it or not.

StimpyBoy
Nov 27, 2002
Grimey Drawer
Well, he posted it on Youtube, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moVNxBM6PWE

That corner is somewhat well known, I thought he had it but at the last moment I knew we had too much speed and I should say something. Then we started going straight. gently caress. I walked around on the corner after, it was slick ice underneath.

It really was a tricky rally. 13 of 36 finished. Here's another fairly high up team making a small mistake for the start of braking for a R6 into a L4 and it all goes bad from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JerJ3M0OF0Q

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

StimpyBoy posted:

It really was a tricky rally. 13 of 36 finished.

And thus the adage of "just finish."

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
Been looking at picking up some data acquisition stuff lately, and have pretty much narrowed it down to the Traqmate Classic Complete or Racepak G2X. At one point the Aim SoloDL was in the running, but since my ECU isn't compatible with their DL, I've pretty much ruled it out. One of the main features I was looking for was the ability to add sensors at a later point, which both the Traqmate and G2X can do, although the Traqmate seems pretty limited on what sensor data can be added compared to the G2X.

I guess it really comes down to the software. I've heard that the Racepak software isn't as good as Traqmate, so I was hoping maybe someone here had at some point used both and could compare. I've also heard that Racepak's software is plenty good once you figure out how to use it.

I really don't want to spend more than $1000, which is plenty doable with the two options listed above. Am I missing out on any other systems? I've been using Harry's Lap Timer + 5hz Ultimate GPS, but the only way to do any meaningful data analysis is to export it and load it into Circuit Tools 2. Problem with that is I don't really care for the Circuit Tools software. I've tried it a few different times now and just don't care for how it's set up.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
You should seriously consider the Auto sports Labs Race Capture Pro. Yes its a young product and you should expect to roll with some growing pains. The team supporting is engaged and accessible. So far everything I have needed has been fixed quickly.

There's constantly new releases with new functionality. No lock in for spendy feature upgrades. No out dated software or hardware. You have some whacky dream? Go for it, your likely to even get help along the way.

I /love/ mine. I would have paid twice what I have invested in it now.

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.
I'll second the Race Capture Pro. For the price it it's very hard to beat. Once I get the cage in and a couple sets of wheels and tires it will likely replace my Aim Solo. I don't think there is anything out there for the price with analog inputs... and it's open source hardware and software.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I looked into it and have heard good things about it. I even downloaded Race Analyzer and some log files to give it a go. I was sorely disappointed with the analysis capabilities. I'm sure it will get better in the future, but for now I'll probably wait and see what happens. I love the idea of the project, but I just don't have the time to hack around with the thing.

Is the Race Analyzer software the only way to analyze data? I mean compared to Traqmate or Circuit Tools it seems to be lacking quite a bit.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Heading to Buttonwillow with Speedvenutures this Sat the 21st. LMK if anyone else is going

Should be perfect weather <3 SoCal

http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=440

parid
Mar 18, 2004
California is an amazing place to retreat to in the winter for racing. I was at Laguna Seca last weekend, 60s and pure sun. (Woo 6th in the west coast championship)

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
It's going to be 68/75* at VIR this weekend. Too bad it looks like this.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

aventari posted:

Heading to Buttonwillow with Speedvenutures this Sat the 21st. LMK if anyone else is going

Should be perfect weather <3 SoCal

http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=440

200 miles away... I've gotten too spoiled with the 20 minute drive to Fontana every couple months

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

parid posted:

California is an amazing place to retreat to in the winter for racing. I was at Laguna Seca last weekend, 60s and pure sun. (Woo 6th in the west coast championship)

Congrats!

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

parid posted:

Ugh. Norcal is 10 hours away. Not sure if that is doable even on a 3-day weekend. Wish it was though.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

nollij posted:

Ugh. Norcal is 10 hours away. Not sure if that is doable even on a 3-day weekend. Wish it was though.

Yeah 13 hour tow for me. It was a 5 day weekend for ~4 hours of wheel time. Worth it for sure but hard for a lot of people to make that commitment. Could be worse.

There was a team there from the Belgium vw owners club. Apparently government regulation makes things like chumpcar impossible. Track time is all FIA regulated and, if I heard right, was something like $5,000/hr. Its literally cheaper for them to fund the building of a car remotely and to fly in to race ( plus the whole bucket list thing if racing at Laguna ).

Its too bad as trading for time at Spa would help me with my list as well.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

parid posted:

Yeah 13 hour tow for me. It was a 5 day weekend for ~4 hours of wheel time. Worth it for sure but hard for a lot of people to make that commitment. Could be worse.

There was a team there from the Belgium vw owners club. Apparently government regulation makes things like chumpcar impossible. Track time is all FIA regulated and, if I heard right, was something like $5,000/hr. Its literally cheaper for them to fund the building of a car remotely and to fly in to race ( plus the whole bucket list thing if racing at Laguna ).

Its too bad as trading for time at Spa would help me with my list as well.

Spa rental is actually ~€10k/hour according to my friend who races historic F1 and sportscars. An entry in the Monaco Historics is ~€4k per race, and those races are 10-12 laps.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I'm considering a trip to Le Mans this year. I have no idea what tickets to get. They feel like a bargain compared to F1 last year. Is the front straight worth it? I imagine covered grand stands would be nice when it starts raining. What the best way to spend the night? Camping? I'm flying in so I can't really bring gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

parid posted:

I'm considering a trip to Le Mans this year. I have no idea what tickets to get. They feel like a bargain compared to F1 last year. Is the front straight worth it? I imagine covered grand stands would be nice when it starts raining. What the best way to spend the night? Camping? I'm flying in so I can't really bring gear.

I went in 2012 and we camped, but I met up with Das Volk when he was in England and so he drove over with the gear. I think we also didn't bother getting seats or anything. We just had General Admission passes onto the grounds. There are plenty of places to see the cars. Rain is an issue, but you could also just bring full rain gear.

Part of the fun of Le Mans is going all over the course to the different corners and things... and then watching hooligans injure themselves in the camp grounds. You're probably not going to watch the race for 24h.

e: I think if you want a view of the start/finish then you should try for the grandstands, but those seats might be expensive. Also, there are a ton of "guide to le mans" websites out there which have a lot of information.

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 5, 2014