Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

Since I missed it, what mods turn Fallout 3 into basically Serious Sam? I've been wanting to replay it and I've love to do it like that.
TWE and Mart's Mutant Mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The best part is, that's really the entire description of that character in one line. He's your father and he's in his forties and that is basically the extent of his character.

Liam Neeson did a great job with his voice acting, making him feel like a good father, though. I got emotionally invested in that guy and that was an aspect to the game that set Fallout 3 apart, I thought -- you're wandering around this hostile hellscape slaughtering everything in your path, but somewhere out there your nice dad is waiting for you to find him. :unsmith:

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Crigit posted:

The best way to purify irradiated water is to boil it. The radioactive contaminants get concentrated, and the steam is clean water. There is literally a (delightfully named) company that makes evaporative decontamination equipment. The plot of fallout 3 was really stupid.
is that how Mass Purified Water works in New Vegas? Collect the water in a pitcher, boil it, catch the steam and use the tubing to drip it back into bottles? I always wondered about that.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So Vault 22 is just Aliens, right?

I spent an hour creeping through there and, after finding the Flamer and a ton of fuel, had a wonderful time flamethrowing those... things to death. I was toasting them so fast that their health bars freaked out. One would literally blow up and its health bar stated it was at half life.

Then I got the HEPA filters and the first door I went through made my 360 hard lock. :mad: Dammit, Bethesda! I was digging the hell out of that place, confusing maze though it was. I found that cave system on the fifth floor, hesitantly went in... then it opened up into that gigantic loving cavern, I went "Noooope" and immediately turned out.

I wasn't going in there, man! It was full of mantises and cabbage people!

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ChibiSoma posted:

So Vault 22 is just Aliens, right?

I spent an hour creeping through there and, after finding the Flamer and a ton of fuel, had a wonderful time flamethrowing those... things to death. I was toasting them so fast that their health bars freaked out. One would literally blow up and its health bar stated it was at half life.

Then I got the HEPA filters and the first door I went through made my 360 hard lock. :mad: Dammit, Bethesda! I was digging the hell out of that place, confusing maze though it was. I found that cave system on the fifth floor, hesitantly went in... then it opened up into that gigantic loving cavern, I went "Noooope" and immediately turned out.

I wasn't going in there, man! It was full of mantises and cabbage people!

No.

Also Obsidian made this game.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

JawKnee posted:

No.

He's just being a dork, like three people have clarified that already.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Psycho Mantits posted:

So I ran into an annoying issue in New Vegas. It appears as though Lily has disappeared on me all of a sudden. I don't think I've used her since completing Guess Who I Saw Today 15 hours ago, but she's not at the brahmin pen in Jacobstown and she's not at the Lucky 38 either. I'm not playing on PC so I can't use the console to find her or anything.

Isn't there a companion dismissal terminal in the lucky 38?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

RBA Starblade posted:

Since I missed it, what mods turn Fallout 3 into basically Serious Sam? I've been wanting to replay it and I've love to do it like that.

do you really need mods to turn fallout 3 into "backtrack constantly while firing gun"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

do you really need mods to turn fallout 3 into "backtrack constantly while firing gun"

Yes. Serious Sam is fun as poo poo. :colbert:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

YOURFRIEND posted:

And another one near the gun runners store.

CJacobs posted:

Yes. Serious Sam is fun as poo poo. :colbert:

I would rather play serious sam than fallout with a mod jury rigged in.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Then play Serious Sam. Dot try to make FO3 into a less terrible, different game. And ChibiSoma is a terribly boring troll.

And while you can't always solve your immediate problems (by, say, assassinating Caesar), but it does have huge repercussions down the road, which is good.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

RBA Starblade posted:

To be fair, with Dead Money and Old World Blues Obsidian showed that society was either on the brink of or just entering post-scarcity with those vending machines, holograms, food cloning and advanced materials.

That's one of my favorite little bits in Fallout lore, it's been there from the beginning. The Great War happened over oil, while portable fusion had just been invented. If the US and China had been able to keep it together for like ten more years none of this would have ever happened.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Unfortunately, the game is pretty terrible at handling tons of enemies- it lags it up somethin' fierce if you've got a graphics mod like ENB stuff goin'.
In addition to that, opening up containers starts taking forever unless you purge the cell buffers simply because of the game tryin' to handle the sheer volume of containers or something like that.

However, with a mod that makes stuff more FPS-y and ENB stuff disabled for big encounters, it can definitely be pretty fun just blasting away at dudes with a minigun/appropriate big gun.

Plus, it makes for pretty neat lookin' screenshots:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

That's one of my favorite little bits in Fallout lore, it's been there from the beginning. The Great War happened over oil, while portable fusion had just been invented. If the US and China had been able to keep it together for like ten more years none of this would have ever happened.

Well, America had just sort of made portable/workable fusion. So America would be okay, power wise, assuming there were solid electric motors that the government could produce and hand out (or the average family could afford), in addition to the costs of commercial uses/purposes. Assuming that, they'd still need a good/cheap/reliable supply of synthetic oils for power related reasons (lubricants and etc). Then America would be fine. Then it would just be the rest of the world in a lovely spot.

And why bother with peace, when Chinese desperation can be twisted into Chinese aggression and be used as a reason to wipe them filthy commies off the face of this planet, and repave China with good old fashioned Democracy?

I don't seem to remember much indication that America was in danger of much in the line of non-oil related scarcity, and that most stuff was just general "How do we survive and farm, after the world is an irradiated dust bowl"

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

YOURFRIEND posted:

There's also one at the Gun Runners' place, for some reason. More convenient than the Lucky 38 one because you don't have to go through three loading screens to reach it.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Psycho Mantits posted:

So I ran into an annoying issue in New Vegas. It appears as though Lily has disappeared on me all of a sudden. I don't think I've used her since completing Guess Who I Saw Today 15 hours ago, but she's not at the brahmin pen in Jacobstown and she's not at the Lucky 38 either. I'm not playing on PC so I can't use the console to find her or anything.

Every time I play, Lily gets killed by a bunch of cazadores when I fast travel to Jacobstown. I've never had her as a companion because of this.

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

2house2fly posted:

is that how Mass Purified Water works in New Vegas? Collect the water in a pitcher, boil it, catch the steam and use the tubing to drip it back into bottles? I always wondered about that.

I think the water in the Mojave was just meant to be mostly straight up potable, what with the local missile defense system over Las Vegas. Goodsprings was only a trader hub because it had a major freshwater spring, for example. I think the Colorado river was clean too. There really weren't many irradiated water sources in New Vegas now that I think about it.

Grand Fromage posted:

I thought the war broke out over uranium? The intro slides to Fallout said something about the resources the war was fought over also being it's weapons, over a slide showing a mushroom cloud. I assumed that meant fissile materials and such.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Dec 8, 2013

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

What's going on here, are you sitting down and hugging your weapon? Not seen that animation/pose before.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Crigit posted:

I thought the war broke out over uranium? The intro slides to Fallout said something about the resources the war was fought over also being it's weapons, over a slide showing a mushroom cloud. I assumed that meant fissile materials and such.

Nope, it was fought over the last oil pocket in the Pacific ocean. China got to it first, but their oil rig was sabotaged, probably by the U.S, who ended up finishing it first. Then China invaded Alaska and everything just goes south from there.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bholder posted:

My problem with New Vegas' "true open world" thing (and to some extend, the Original 2 games' as well) is why you have the option to be an rear end in a top hat, kill anyone and suffer the consequences... but why would you do that? There's absolutely no advantage on doing so. Going goody two shoes, helping everybody is ALWAYS the most optimal way, it always nets you the most reward.

In almost every Bioware RPG ever, being evil nets you a large one-off reward (or more power), being good usually gets you a smaller one-off reward but more rep/bonuses later on. Basically instant gratification for evil, long-term satisfaction for good. Fable and Bioshock 1 also played it up but it's always been there, all the way back to Baldur's Gate and the original fallout games (and obsidian still has a lot of those programmers on it's team).

I think they're trying to train gamers to be good.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Bholder posted:

My problem with New Vegas' "true open world" thing (and to some extend, the Original 2 games' as well) is why you have the option to be an rear end in a top hat, kill anyone and suffer the consequences... but why would you do that? There's absolutely no advantage on doing so. Going goody two shoes, helping everybody is ALWAYS the most optimal way, it always nets you the most reward.

What is there in New Vegas that is locked out when you act the rear end in a top hat, aside from quests if you murder quest givers (and shops)?

edit: I guess there are unique quest rewards.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think the only part that rewards you for being an rear end in a top hat is nuking NCR and the legion in lonesome road DLC.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
NV falls victim sometimes to the same problem a lot of open world "morality-based" games do. Your options in relation to quest-giving conversation usually boils down to:

1. Sure, I'd be glad to help!
2. I GUESS I'll do it but I'd better get paid.
3. No, gently caress off.
4. Future unclear, ask again later.
(optional 5). Ave Caesar! <attack>

Because those are really the only ways it can play out. You can be a total dick in this game and still reap most of the rewards because karma matters exactly nil and your character's personality can change on a dime, which is certainly humorous but functionally indifferent to playing it the 'normal' accept-all-quests way.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 8, 2013

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

In almost every Bioware RPG ever, being evil nets you a large one-off reward (or more power), being good usually gets you a smaller one-off reward but more rep/bonuses later on. Basically instant gratification for evil, long-term satisfaction for good. Fable and Bioshock 1 also played it up but it's always been there, all the way back to Baldur's Gate and the original fallout games (and obsidian still has a lot of those programmers on it's team).

Bioware isn't Black Isle!

Bholder posted:

Because it's fun

JawKnee posted:

No.

Although Bethesda did do QA, so I suppose the troll is accidentally accurate

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

From what I remember, you get a holodisk in Fallout 2 that lays out how the end of the world went down. There was the oil rig sabotage, but before that there's mention that the price of oil had risen to higher than the price of gold. And the US president was impeached for jaywalking.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Every time I play, Lily gets killed by a bunch of cazadores when I fast travel to Jacobstown. I've never had her as a companion because of this.

I'm assuming this is what happened to me then, since using the companion dismissal terminal didn't do anything. Ah well, she wasn't that useful anyway - had an annoying tendency to run in front of me while I was shooting.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

OldMemes posted:

If the shoreline of the US is inhabited by giant mutant catfish, then what kinds of horrible FEV mutants lurk further out at sea? :ohdear:

The impression I've always gotten from the lore is that even 200 years after the war, large chunks of America are still cut off from each other, and nobody really has the means to map the entire country, so no-one really knows whats become of some places. For example, the NCR didn't know that Vegas was intact until nearly a century after it was founded. Having the post war world outside America be a huge question mark just seems to fit better.

Most of the Midwest is supposed to be cut off from the coasts by uninhabitable death zones I think. Like everything east of Utah/Arizona (and Arizona is supposed to be pretty rough before the Legion) is just not possible to get through, like an up and down section of the entire U.S. hosed like the Divide. Appalachia is like, no go (think I recall the East Coast BoS had a super hellish trek to get to D.C.) and while the Brotherhood is vaguely aware of the Midwest chapter of the BoS there's not really any info and it's not clear how much of what you see in Tactics is canon, climate/geographic wise.

Information dribbles in between the East and West coasts somehow but its likely to be a very long time before any kind of reconnection could occur.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Bholder posted:

Because you're playing a sociopath. Because you're tired of everyone's poo poo and doing all the hard work? Because you want to purify the wastes to your own end?

But "I don't like having the option to do thing (when it's in no way required)" is a dumb complaint, especially whenpart of it is "doing thing is not abjectly rewarded by the developers"

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Who needs rewards with the signature weapon and armor mods? Each kill makes me stronger :unsmigghh:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Is there a mod that just gives me more stuff to shoot in New Vegas? I'm kind of at a point in the game where I'm drowning in ammunition, and I have companion limits turned off so I have an army of heavily, heavily armed bodyguards such that deathclaws die in a hail of bullets before I even draw a bead on them. I mostly just want more random threats, perhaps a roving horde of ghouls the size of a car park or a murder of raiders (instead of just the usual three or four). Not really thinking Serious Sam levels of crazy--just larger packs of dudes.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 8, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lotish posted:

Is there a mod that just gives me more stuff to shoot in New Vegas? I'm kind of at a point in the game where I'm drowning in ammunition, and I have companion limits turned off so I have an army of heavily, heavily armed bodyguards such that deathclaws die in a hail of bullets before I even draw a bead on them. I mostly just want more random threats, perhaps a roving horde of ghouls the size of a car park or a murder of raiders (instead of just the usual three or four). Not really thinking Serious Sam levels of crazy--just larger packs of dudes.
The best thing to use for this is DFB - Random Encounters. It adds spawn points for random squads and what kind of things spawn can be toggled.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Berke Negri posted:

Most of the Midwest is supposed to be cut off from the coasts by uninhabitable death zones I think. Like everything east of Utah/Arizona (and Arizona is supposed to be pretty rough before the Legion) is just not possible to get through, like an up and down section of the entire U.S. hosed like the Divide. Appalachia is like, no go (think I recall the East Coast BoS had a super hellish trek to get to D.C.) and while the Brotherhood is vaguely aware of the Midwest chapter of the BoS there's not really any info and it's not clear how much of what you see in Tactics is canon, climate/geographic wise.

Information dribbles in between the East and West coasts somehow but its likely to be a very long time before any kind of reconnection could occur.

Also, I think Cassidy in Fallout 2 described Texas as "one gigantic radioactive dustbowl" or words to that effect, full of tornadoes and rough storms, so that would probably cut off most cross-continental travel in the south. There are probably very few relatively safe and unobstructed routes between the coasts that don't involve taking massive detours first.

For instance, maybe the Trans-Canada Highway is still clear. Exceptionally well-provisioned caravans (or more likely a single courier with a working Highwayman or something) could head north before travelling east or west. I can't imagine what crossing the Rockies would be like in the post-apocalypse though.

Also, bears.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The best thing to use for this is DFB - Random Encounters. It adds spawn points for random squads and what kind of things spawn can be toggled.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Delsaber posted:

Also, I think Cassidy in Fallout 2 described Texas as "one gigantic radioactive dustbowl" or words to that effect, full of tornadoes and rough storms, so that would probably cut off most cross-continental travel in the south. There are probably very few relatively safe and unobstructed routes between the coasts that don't involve taking massive detours first.

For instance, maybe the Trans-Canada Highway is still clear. Exceptionally well-provisioned caravans (or more likely a single courier with a working Highwayman or something) could head north before travelling east or west. I can't imagine what crossing the Rockies would be like in the post-apocalypse though.

Also, bears.

You can run into at least one minor character from Canada in Fallout 2, so the north of the continent is presumably in better shape than the Midwest. I mean, it's not like there would be much of strategic value up there to nuke, so Canada is probably mostly intact. I seem to recall some throwaway dialogue in Fallout 3 implying that Toronto is a major regional power now.

I always wonder about the rest of the world, though. Mexico's apparently still pretty disorganized, since NCR was able to just roll in and colonize Baja California no problem. Alistair Tenpenny in Fallout 3 is evidently British, and was able to come across the pond to start his little colonial venture and exploit the natives or whatever, so maybe the UK escaped largely unscathed and has rebuilt.

In the US itself, the only regions I don't think we've ever had any look at (aside from Alaska and Hawaii) are the north-central plains, New England, and the Deep South. Point Lookout kind of gave us a glimpse but that was just Maryland. Even then it was pretty interesting, with all the tribes of mutated locals who would wreck your poo poo if you violated their territory but would leave you alone, even if they saw you, as long as you respected the boundary markers. I'd play a game set in the post-apocalyptic Louisiana bayou with mutated swamp monsters, or along the irradiated beaches of Florida. New England is implied to be doing relatively well, what with the Commonwealth having apparently formed a stable government and developed some ridiculously advanced technology, but I'd play a game set in the Pennsylvania/New Jersey area with the Commonwealth just bordering to the northeast, the East Coast Brotherhood to the south, and the Pitt in the center.

e: Thinking about it, there's also the Great Lakes region. If they ever do that, they should make Detroit a center of civilization and prosperity, and say that by the time of the war it had deteriorated to the point that it wasn't considered worth nuking and thus escaped completely unscathed.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Dec 8, 2013

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Canada was probably actually nuked pretty hard, in the Fallout timeline the US annexes it for its oil fields.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Pretty sure the European Alliance and the Middle East nuked and destroyed each other right before China and the USA had their Great War, and with all the massive nuclear fallout storms going round the world from so many nukes, even places not touched directly by nuclear warheads (Say, Africa, probably got irradiated and suffered mass loss of life.

China, I can't remember where but some developer said it was essentially a giant crater now, which tells you the USA ot off light.

A Fallout game around the Great Lakes or in the States of Indians, Michigan, and Ohio would be great.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Incidentally, am I the only one who didn't realize you could get Veronica as a companion until the second or third playthrough? The first time I encountered her, I was doing a full NCR playthrough and had already slaughtered the entire Brotherhood by that point. When I encountered her, she asked me about the Brotherhood and I was basically like 'oh yeah, those guys, I killed them a while ago!' and she responded with something like 'well I guess this is for them', turned hostile, and was immediately shot in the head by Boone before she was even finished drawing her weapon. I just assumed she was some random Brotherhood NPC, didn't know she was available as a party member until later.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Lotish posted:

Anything by Someguy on the FNV Nexus is also good for this; his mods have received a fair amount of praise in the modding thread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There is also Increased Wasteland Spawns, which is fully configurable and also fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mister Bates posted:

Alistair Tenpenny in Fallout 3 is evidently British, and was able to come across the pond to start his little colonial venture and exploit the natives or whatever, so maybe the UK escaped largely unscathed and has rebuilt.

As I posted above from the lead developer of FO3, Tenpenny's presence is supposed to indicate that Britain is worse off.