Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Looks like Tarquin is really taking this arc off the rails. Ehh? Ehh?

Oh, I guess the puns are over now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Naw I bet Tarquin's going over the side to meet his just deserts.

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Man, Tarquin is such a good villain, it's unfair. Every story needs a Tarquin.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

sebmojo posted:

YEAH LET'S GET BACK TO CORRIDORS AND RULE GAGS

(casterfight)

This would be actually preferrable at this point. I hate Tarquin and I hate this arc and I hate literally nothing came out of it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TINA TURNER posted:

This would be actually preferrable at this point. I hate Tarquin and I hate this arc and I hate literally nothing came out of it

... What? Even if you ignored character development, a major reoccurring villain was killed off and one of the major cast members was killed and revived as a vampire.

(I don't like Tarquin much either but "nothing came of it" is crazy.)

Tjadeth
Sep 16, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
VOLUNTEER
:nyan:

Zogundar posted:

I thought he looked a bit different there and was wondering if there was some deeper significance to that.

It's the perspective, too--you're seeing him straight-on instead of from the usual fourth-wall/stage-like viewpoint. Rich has been doing a lot more of that lately. It's pretty cool!

I guess it's also that he has a neutral expression, as Elan sometimes does, instead of ranting like a rage-filled maniac, which Elan doesn't often do.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If Tarquin dies here he Sabine can't kill him, though.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm sure she'd work out some sort of deal to get his soul or whatever to torture for killing Nale.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can Sabine do something to prevent him from being resurrected once he dies?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TINA TURNER posted:

So did you just not read anything that happened in the pyramid at all?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

Sabine can have fun with him after he's dead. :twisted:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

DaveWoo posted:

Sabine can have fun with him after he's dead. :twisted:

Oh yeah, the Order will kill Tarquin (or he'll die in some embarrassing way) and the last we'll see of him will be him waking up to Sabine with an evil smile on her face.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pope Guilty posted:

Oh yeah, the Order will kill Tarquin (or he'll die in some embarrassing way) and the last we'll see of him will be him waking up to Sabine and Nale with an evil smile on their face.

Fixed that for you.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
At this point, I just hope Elan's final words to his father are something along the lines of, "You're not the bard here; you don't get to decide how the story ends."

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TINA TURNER posted:

You are insane.

Without thinking too hard about it: Nale was killed, Haley found her dad, Durkon found a friend, then get vamped by the friend, then killed the friends murderer and is now A VAMPIRE, V found out exactly how much of a monster she was, MITD made its first actual conscious play, the Fiends made their first above the table play, Scoundrel made a triumphant return, Belkar rode a goddam T Rex, and most important the Order kicked the rear end of an entire army.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ImpAtom posted:

Can Sabine do something to prevent him from being resurrected once he dies?

Disintegrate: Gust of Wind.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

sebmojo posted:

I think they meant more in the sense of, say, permanently binding Tarquin's soul to whatever hell he ends up in (or, alternatively, permanently barring his soul from returning to the physical plane).

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I guess she could call in a favor and get a Dimensional Anchor spell cast with Permanency.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

sebmojo posted:

Even though I know it's wrong, I'll always consider "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind." to be V's 'four right words at the right time to the right person for all the wrong reasons' that the Oracle predicted. It's so much better than V's stammering on the island.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

Even though I know it's wrong, I'll always consider "Disintegrate. Gust of Wind." to be V's 'four right words at the right time to the right person for all the wrong reasons' that the Oracle predicted. It's so much better than V's stammering on the island.

... Holy poo poo. :stare:

I mean, this is why 'death of the author' is I feel earns being a legitimate thing. I went and checked, the Oots wiki claims Rich said its "I... I must succeed" but there isn't a link and it isn't in 'The Giant's Comments Index II' thread so, its possible either way.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There's a full quote of it around somewhere but I don't think he really said he considered it a beautifully written moment or whatever.

I personally think it works, since the other statement still reeks of hubris where instead the stutter points out how low he is at that juncture.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Question, do the various ways to bring back the dead require they WANT to come back? If so he could just be mind raped so he wants to stay out of the world of the living or stay dead or something.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Stuff like Ressurrection does require consent on the part of the person being brought back, yes (and not having died of old age/natural causes(?), but that'd be irrelevant unless Tarquin... had... a... heart attack...)

:stare:

Lamhirh
Sep 8, 2012
My understanding of D&D cosmology is mostly from Planescape stuff, but I think I recall that it could be difficult to resurrect LE people, because devils trade souls around as property, and they often want something in return before they release it and permit the resurrection.

So if this works by those rules, all Sabine would have to do is gain ownership of his soul, and she could block his resurrection forever.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

Stuff like Ressurrection does require consent on the part of the person being brought back, yes (and not having died of old age/natural causes(?), but that'd be irrelevant unless Tarquin... had... a... heart attack...)

:stare:

I don't get it, can you elaborate?

I believe in Forgotten Realms, which is like Oots if you bumped up the average NPC level by 10, you can bring back CE/LA/NE all you want its just a choice so long as their soul isn't magically bound as mentioned. As what happened to that Drow Wizard dude who was a triple agent spy in the WotSQ books.

Generally I think its implied if your evil you'll pretty much jump at the chance to come back that's how bad things are, no matter the alignment.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

To explain: I honestly can't remember if there's a 'no natural deaths' clause on non-necromancy Ressurrection spells in D&D. If there is, though... Well, assuming Tarquin's hypothetical heart attack was purely out of overexertion, then by most conventional definitions, that's a natural death. And would be so fittingly anti-climactic to his dreams of being struck down as the final villain of the heroes' journey, and not to something so mundane.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Regalingualius posted:

To explain: I honestly can't remember if there's a 'no natural deaths' clause on non-necromancy Ressurrection spells in D&D. If there is, though... Well, assuming Tarquin's hypothetical heart attack was purely out of overexertion, then by most conventional definitions, that's a natural death. And would be so fittingly anti-climactic to his dreams of being struck down as the final villain of the heroes' journey, and not to something so mundane.

I was more confused as I thought you were referencing something. While I think there's a good meta argument for Tarquin losing in such a way that is thematically appropriate, dying in such a way that he is forgotten, it won't be by a random heart attack. Rich has been fairly consistent in that Villains must die by their own choices and volition, a heart attack would seem contrived.

Dying far away from his power base, his kingdom weakened just enough to be invaded by that lizard kingdom with his army in the middle of nowhere against Julian Scoundrel maybe of all people would more or less be that.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
A high level fighter would never die of a heart attack he is basically a marble sculpture

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

jsoh posted:

A high level fighter would never die of a heart attack he is basically a marble sculpture

Unknown heart defect! Even at this point its obvious that anything (bad to Tarquin) can happen here, even if the main plot of the story is already apparent.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

jsoh posted:

I've suddenly got the mental imagery of one of the players of the OotS asking the GM out of the blue when the last time Tarquin got into as much fighting as he's been in in this arc, then (taking his age into account) asking if it'd be possible to roll for a cardiac arrest check, which the GM agrees to for whatever reason.

Then flubs out a 1. :v:

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

... Holy poo poo. :stare:

I mean, this is why 'death of the author' is I feel earns being a legitimate thing. I went and checked, the Oots wiki claims Rich said its "I... I must succeed" but there isn't a link and it isn't in 'The Giant's Comments Index II' thread so, its possible either way.

Rich says it in the book.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
There's no real mechanics for dying of old age in D&D, it's not that kind of game. (Contrarily to, say, Ars Magica, where four years can fly in a single game session if the characters do nothing but lab work.) You have a maximum life expectancy which is rolled out in different ways depending on race, but that's all. I don't remember ever actually rolling it, though. I suppose if the campaign really lasts that long, you'll die on your last birthday.

For reference, because it often comes up:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueResurrection.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

sebmojo posted:

You are insane.

Without thinking too hard about it: Nale was killed, Haley found her dad, Durkon found a friend, then get vamped by the friend, then killed the friends murderer and is now A VAMPIRE, V found out exactly how much of a monster she was, MITD made its first actual conscious play, the Fiends made their first above the table play, Scoundrel made a triumphant return, Belkar rode a goddam T Rex, and most important the Order kicked the rear end of an entire army.
And on top of that, main plot milestone-wise: fourth gate down, only one remaining.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Cat Mattress posted:

There's no real mechanics for dying of old age in D&D, it's not that kind of game. (Contrarily to, say, Ars Magica, where four years can fly in a single game session if the characters do nothing but lab work.) You have a maximum life expectancy which is rolled out in different ways depending on race, but that's all. I don't remember ever actually rolling it, though. I suppose if the campaign really lasts that long, you'll die on your last birthday.

For reference, because it often comes up:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/raiseDead.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueResurrection.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/reincarnate.htm

There are spells and monster effects that can age you(like ghost touches), although those may be in other editions. So It's more like you opened the ancient tomb and a curse aged you fifty years and you died of old age. Although even that can be overcome just fine with reincarnation.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

There is the Reincarnation trick to reset your age, among other methods, but death by old age being inevitable and irreversible is kind of a solid rule in DnD. There's even a monster whose sole purpose is to catch any cheaters.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

mmkay posted:

Rich says it in the book.

Well then there's always DOTA to fall back on.

I actually went and looked up means for a character of mine to achieve immortality as a campaign goal. There's actually quite a few ways, up to and including a PC race.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I wonder if Tarquin would be acting differently if he knew that Elan was guaranteed a 'happy ending' by word of Prophecy, not merely a Pyrrhic, bittersweet victory like he's aiming to achieve.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Maybe all of Elan's friends die though and he gets addicted to elven massage parlors. He'll still get his happy ending and the prophecy technically fulfilled.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

greatn posted:

Maybe all of Elan's friends die though and he gets addicted to elven massage parlors. He'll still get his happy ending and the prophecy technically fulfilled.

"Yes...for you. Just not the elf masseur who's really just trying to work her way through wizard school as a single mom and needs the gold."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sir, please don't panic but I think someone mixed up the oil of slipperiness and the solvent glue again.