Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

The thing about replaying the game is that you have to do the pointless D Characters side missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wanderer posted:

Revelations was developed for a different system than 360/PS3 and definitely feels like it, but I'd defend it every time now that it's on a platform I can stand to play. The 3DS rev gave me a pretty good callous after a while.

On 3DS I liked how if you held down enough buttons at the same time you could move around slowly in first person and it was almost like King's Field with guns.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Do you guys still use the goon Steam group for matches?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Azran

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Question about Revelations (for PS3): is there co-op? I like playing through the newer RE games with my friends but I haven't read anything about there being any co-op in this game so is that true or is it just not available that way for the console releases?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

Question about Revelations (for PS3): is there co-op? I like playing through the newer RE games with my friends but I haven't read anything about there being any co-op in this game so is that true or is it just not available that way for the console releases?

The game has no co-op in story mode on any system. It has co-op Raid Modes on all systems.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The game has no co-op in story mode on any system. It has co-op Raid Modes on all systems.

Mmmm ok, is the AI as terrible on the highest difficulty like it was in 5? I'm not looking forward to another 8 hours of shouting and swearing at a computer when I can't beat Wesker and Jill again :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

Mmmm ok, is the AI as terrible on the highest difficulty like it was in 5? I'm not looking forward to another 8 hours of shouting and swearing at a computer when I can't beat Wesker and Jill again :negative:

The AI is literally unimportant. They are there as far as the plot is concerned but are completely invincible and barely contribute to combat. There are no co-op fighting/puzzle segments either.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Wanderer posted:

Are you kidding? That section is one of the most magnificent gently caress-yous in recent gaming history.
I didn't find that particularly funny, I found it to be tedious, like the rest of the whole game.

quote:

When I played it the first time, between the music and the ammo shortage, I fell for the whole thing. It's paced very well.
I never had an issue with ammo shortage and I was playing on the hardest difficulty. Enemies are dumb and as long as you don't use ammo like a crazed gunslinger, you'll be more than well equipped for every situation. The pacing itself is shot when you're redoing entire sections over and over and sometimes with characters no one gives a gently caress about.

quote:

Revelations was developed for a different system than 360/PS3 and definitely feels like it, but I'd defend it every time now that it's on a platform I can stand to play. The 3DS rev gave me a pretty good callous after a while.
Just because it's made for portable doesn't defend its lazy execution. You could easily make the game a shorter and tighter experience than try to pad it out. There's been better tries at making portable versions like Ratchet and Clank and Metal Gear have done.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Proto Cloud posted:

I didn't find that particularly funny, I found it to be tedious, like the rest of the whole game.

I never had an issue with ammo shortage and I was playing on the hardest difficulty. Enemies are dumb and as long as you don't use ammo like a crazed gunslinger, you'll be more than well equipped for every situation. The pacing itself is shot when you're redoing entire sections over and over and sometimes with characters no one gives a gently caress about.

Just because it's made for portable doesn't defend its lazy execution. You could easily make the game a shorter and tighter experience than try to pad it out. There's been better tries at making portable versions like Ratchet and Clank and Metal Gear have done.

Revelations was obviously not the game for you. I enjoyed the combat and didn't mind going back to old locations with new characters. The whole part with Chris on the ship was a neat action segment and really only lasts for a couple of minutes.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

You should have a little more faith in your captain.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

so the answer is "yes" then :v:

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

blackguy32 posted:

Revelations was obviously not the game for you. I enjoyed the combat and didn't mind going back to old locations with new characters. The whole part with Chris on the ship was a neat action segment and really only lasts for a couple of minutes.

Well, bad games are generally "not for me". :v:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

So, I just played Gaiden. I beat it. I played all the way through Resident Evil: Gaiden in one sitting, and beat it.

Don't be like me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Crowetron posted:

So, I just played Gaiden. I beat it. I played all the way through Resident Evil: Gaiden in one sitting, and beat it.

Don't be like me.

Oh man I paid $39.99 for that game the day it came out AHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA.

Weird as they actually had a more traditionally RE styled port going for a while:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShC8zJgbTts

Wish they released this thing as it's very literally a "retro" demake of the first RE.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
That's mighty impressive for the GBC. Why would they let that work go to waste? Fuckin' Capcom. :v:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I'm getting towards the end of Revelations and hitting the point where everyone that should be dead is miraculously alive and everyone is working for everyone else. It's utter ridiculous nonsense and reminds me of why I enjoy the resident evil games. Sure, I enjoy the gameplay but I'm not really happy unless I've been quadruple crossed by the end. And there'd BETTER be a post credits sequence revealing I've been quintuple crossed after all.

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Quint is the best character. Revelations owns.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Funny way to spell Parker. :colbert:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

therealjon_ posted:

Quint is the best character. Revelations owns.

It's funny how many people jumped into Raid mode after a chapter or two, saw this beefy guy running around tooled up to the nines looking for all the world like Drake from Aliens, then continued with the story and, well...

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Alteisen posted:

Funny way to spell Parker. :colbert:

I'm buying you lunch!

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
I love that his call sign is Jackass. :allears:

Captain Swing
Dec 30, 2006

Captain Swing fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 13, 2013

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Expected the sailor suit happy to see the bondage one.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Those gifs always make me smile. Thank you for that. Gay Wesker mod is amazing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I tried this game when it came out, but since the price is pretty low now I thought I'd get the game to own. How do I stop being terrible? I tried Mercenaries a few times but I can barely kill twenty or thirty dudes before I run out of time. I'm trying to combo and melee and counter but I just can't seem to do enough for things to even get rolling. Also, gently caress dogs.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Lotish posted:

I tried this game when it came out, but since the price is pretty low now I thought I'd get the game to own. How do I stop being terrible? I tried Mercenaries a few times but I can barely kill twenty or thirty dudes before I run out of time. I'm trying to combo and melee and counter but I just can't seem to do enough for things to even get rolling. Also, gently caress dogs.

Quick shot dogs. At the start of the round, run around and get all the time crystals. Also, character selection is very important.

Damegane
May 7, 2013

Lotish posted:

I like using the headshot > context melee on groups. The animation takes a while, but it tends to kill the guy you're doing it on and knock down guys in a really big area, so you have a bit of time to run around and stomp heads without getting attacked. If you're getting overwhelmed, you can always run away for a bit to stream them into a nice cluster behind you, perfect for grenading.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Hi everyone. I sometimes cosplay as Wesker from RE5. I recently lost my sunglasses and I can't find the kind I used to use. I remember they were from Style Eyes but I checked their site and they don't have them anymore. I'm looking around for some new ones and this is really hard. The only ones I've seen recently that even come close are these:

http://shop.gunnars.com/vayper/d/1077_c_200

The shape looks right to me and in some scenes in RE5 his shades have a yellow tint to them so these might be OK but I'd like other opinions. I'd also like suggestions for other sunglasses I could use. I don't have a problem with paying $70 for those gaming glasses but obviously if I could find something as good or better for less I'd buy those instead.

Thanks!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
How does the supply drop on RE.net work?

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
Decided to pick up RE:R during the 75% off Steam sale. I talked a friend into doing this as well so we could play co-op. Problem is, neither of us really want to play through the campaign first. I've been looking for savegames to download, and they're all "100% infinite ammo infinite money" etc.

I don't suppose anyone here has a savegame with nothing but the campaign finished?

e: Nevermind, managed to find a save with no Raid progress on it.

Dezztroy fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Dec 31, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Resident Evil Outbreak lives. Time to find some Japanese copies and get it working on PCSX2!

SlippyFists
Jul 16, 2007

To The Flowers of Time!

That's pretty impressive figuring out how to bring back File 1 and 2 through reverse engineering old packets.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dezztroy posted:

Decided to pick up RE:R during the 75% off Steam sale. I talked a friend into doing this as well so we could play co-op. Problem is, neither of us really want to play through the campaign first. I've been looking for savegames to download, and they're all "100% infinite ammo infinite money" etc.

I don't suppose anyone here has a savegame with nothing but the campaign finished?

e: Nevermind, managed to find a save with no Raid progress on it.

Can you link where you found that? Because I'm pretty much in an identical situation: No interest in the campaign; I just like Raid.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Policenaut posted:

Resident Evil Outbreak lives. Time to find some Japanese copies and get it working on PCSX2!
How will I understand the wonderfully complex and engaging storyline of a Resident Evil game, in a foreign language?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Scalding Coffee posted:

How will I understand the wonderfully complex and engaging storyline of a Resident Evil game, in a foreign language?

By watching 7 year old videos of 2ch users playing it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

There are translation patches.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
Any Dino Crisis fans up in here? Figured there would be a lot of overlap here since the series was basically Resident Evil with dinosaurs (a good thing if you ask me).

I recently replayed DC1 for the first time in over fifteen years and loved it. Straight up LOVED IT. Really wasn't expecting to with childhood nostalgia being what it is, but the game was just fantastic and held up really well. I didn't remember how strongly it emphasized the puzzles or how I got through those as a kid (no way I didn't look up some of those solutions on gamefaqs), but those were really enjoyable and occasionally challenging without ever being absurdly cryptic enough that you couldn't solve them by thinking for a few minutes about variations (mostly those last few door combos). The ending was sort of weak without a "real" bossfight but I looked it up and turns out I stumbled upon the 3rd "secret" ending which didn't have the fight I remembered.

Started on DC 2, and it looks like I remembered even less about this one. The emphasis on action is a bit disappointing, but it's still been pretty good so far. The character switching is nice (thought the first one had that but I guess I got some memories crossed). I'm not that fond of Dylan yet, but Regina still owns. Such a great protagonist I always forget about. Its a shame this series hasn't been followed up on after the second game already had a shift towards RE4 style gameplay with points/merchants five years before that game even came out.

Oh, and any opinions on Dino Crisis 3? I only learned about it today since it was box only and released without a lot of fanfare. The reviews on wikipedia aren't great, but a lot of the complaints listed seem to be things somewhat common in the series and RE-like games I'm use to anyway. Considering how I feel about the first two DC games would you recommend it?

Think I'm gonna hit up the original REs after this, and maybe the Silent Hill series too after that. Are there any other games in the same vein as this I should checkout?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DC3 doesn't have anything to do with the first two games. I never played it but it seemed to be Dino Crisis in name only. I agree with Regina, though. She's one of those good female protagonists time forgot. She should get her own game again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Dino Crisis 3 is a game about fighting dinosaurs in space while zipping around on a jet pack that still manages to be staggeringly boring. Do not play Dino Crisis 3.