Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

GrAviTy84 posted:

love bouchon, haters have no taste

Truth. The olive plate is the best deal on the menu, $6 for a pile of excellent quality olives cured in multiple interesting ways. There is no wrong choice on their menu. Still the best brunch on the Strip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Well, I ended up having to go to fogo de chao tonight instead. I will give them this: they are the nicest Applebee's I've ever been to.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Does anyone have the old christmas cookie recipe thread bookmarked? Or any of the threads, really? My skill at browsing archives has failed me.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
I'm sure I've said it before, but god loving drat, I hate reading reviews of recipes online. I often make the Artichoke and Mushroom Lasagna from Epicurous. It's pretty much perfect exactly as the recipe states. Maybe needs a little more bechamel to bring it all together, but overall, it's spot on. It's 1lb artichoke hearts, 1lb mushrooms, cooked up in some dry vermouth, layered, with bechamel. Nothing to it, and tastes exactly like you'd expect those flavors to taste.

Of course, nobody can be bothered to actually go shopping for ingredients when they make a recipe, though.

" I made this recently, along with a traditional red sauce lasagna, for a dinner party for 10 and it was a big hit. I followed the recipe exactly except that, for the artichoke hearts, I substituted a jar of Pastene artichoke pesto and it added a lovely rich flavor, plus I didn't have to chop the artichokes."

"Because of my husband's preferences, I used 16 oz broccoli instead of artichokes and left out the vermouth. I also added a layer made from 1 pd ricotta, 4 handfulls of fresh spinach (steamed and drained), and 1 egg, which I put on top of the pasta layer. I think I only got 3 layers of pasta in there total, because I didn't have enough veggies for more layers."

"Taste not worth the calories. Instead, I would recommend using a lemon Alfredo. Less calories and a much more flavorful dish. Also, it's great paired with a '97 Sterling Reserve Cabernet or an 86' french champagne."

"I made as directed except that I used wine instead of Pernod. I really just thought the lasagna lacked a key flavor component and was above all, heavy. I know that lasagna tends to be heavy anyway but this one didn't have enough contrast to balance it. It wasn't terrible, just not worthy of making again in my book."

God drat, I wish they'd have used AN ENTIRE CUP OF PERNOD.

I give this Artichoke and Mushroom Lasagna recipe 2 stars, not good and won't make again. I didn't have Artichokes, so I substituted canned sardines, and we don't eat mushrooms in our household, so I used Tic Tacs and raisins. Instead of making the labor-intensive bechamel, I subbed 1/2 Mt. Dew and 1/2 Sam's Choice Cola. It was terrible, and you should take it off of your site.

I didn't have enough vegetables, so I substituted four McDoubles from the McDonalds Dollar Menu, and for the bechamel, I used a Wendy's Frostee. They only had chocolate, which wouldn't have been my preference, but after topping the last layer with chili, nobody even noticed.

In other news, bacon's baconing and Canadian bacon's baconing eh, in the fridge.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well, I ended up having to go to fogo de chao tonight instead. I will give them this: they are the nicest Applebee's I've ever been to.

So I guess that whole "I only eat what was humanely raised and killed" thing went out the window huh? Also Fogo kicks rear end, stop sucking Keller's dick.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Total poser, but very happy with what I did last night.

notmandatory
May 18, 2006

PainBreak posted:

"Taste not worth the calories. Instead, I would recommend using a lemon Alfredo. Less calories and a much more flavorful dish. Also, it's great paired with a '97 Sterling Reserve Cabernet or an 86' french champagne."

I always consider Alfredo the best choice when I am trying to cut calories. :ughh:

I really wish that sites had two categories of rankings. One for "I actually made the recipe as written" and one for "I totally changed this so this review is not really applicable."

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

notmandatory posted:

I always consider Alfredo the best choice when I am trying to cut calories. :ughh:

I really wish that sites had two categories of rankings. One for "I actually made the recipe as written" and one for "I totally changed this so this review is not really applicable."

Sort of like a "verified buyer" only there wouldn't be a single person in the first category.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004
drat, I just went to Fogo de Chao with some friends and I thought it was great. Why the Applebee's comparison?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Called Puppy two weeks ago. I'm going to be going to a friend's house for Christmas Eve. She invited him too, but he's going to be at Church for both the 24th and 25th. Because he's going to be doing his own thing, I asked him if he would be OK with seeing me on the night of the 23rd. "That would be nice," he said.

I'm going to take him over to Rockefeller Centre to see the big tree with all the lights on, with a cup of piping hot coffee. I know that we're not going to be together on Christmas, but I kind of want our last one together to be memorable.

This sucks. This really, really, really sucks.

He's as flat broke as I am, so I'm hoping that he doesn't get me a present or anything. I just want to see the man smile one last time on Christmas.

gently caress. I'm going to miss him.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Oh Dino, it hurts to read that - I am sorry. But you will, at some point in time get your broken heart mended... By someone who is drat hot, and who makes your sleigh bells jingle merrily.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
Dammit, Dino! I'm the angry guy at work. I'm not supposed to tear up before I go into a meeting.

But, I seriously hope everything works out for you. :sympathy:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Thanks you gais. I didn't think it would hurt this much to the point where the physical pain (of that goddamned back injury) would be trumped out with how much my heart aches. I used to read Puppy's goofy little love letters to give me a pick-me-up when I'm feeling sad or lonely, but right now that's a little too raw to do. It didn't really hit me hard until I was at aforementioned friend's house, and her boyfriend and her were getting into arguments over stupid things (mainly around putting up the outdoor xmas decorations and the like). I don't know why that set me off into this emo slide, but it did.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

dino. posted:

Thanks you gais. I didn't think it would hurt this much to the point where the physical pain (of that goddamned back injury) would be trumped out with how much my heart aches. I used to read Puppy's goofy little love letters to give me a pick-me-up when I'm feeling sad or lonely, but right now that's a little too raw to do. It didn't really hit me hard until I was at aforementioned friend's house, and her boyfriend and her were getting into arguments over stupid things (mainly around putting up the outdoor xmas decorations and the like). I don't know why that set me off into this emo slide, but it did.

dino, I had a long-term relationship end just before the holidays last year so I know exactly what you're going through. One thing I cannot stress enough - do NOT sequester yourself away from your friends and family, or allow yourself to wallow alone in misery. I did exactly that, and both my physical and mental health suffered greatly for it. Get drunk every night if you have to, but do it with a friend - I promise that the effort it takes to put yourself out there and be around other people will be well worth it in the long run.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The Midniter posted:

dino, I had a long-term relationship end just before the holidays last year so I know exactly what you're going through.

I didn't go anywhere big guy.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Thanks for the reminder, Midniter. I tend to hermit mode HARD when I'm sad, because I don't want to sit around being emotionally draining on my friends and loved ones. They've all got enough crap to deal with on their own without my feelings (ugh). But I do have plans to head out to VA to see my brother (and wife, and two kids) this weekend, and then see my friend C---- in Chinatown the weekend after that. Then, Christmas is at friend T----'s house in NJ, then the 29th, I go to Puppy's church to see him preach a sermon (or however you call it). He said he'd help me pack up and junk on the 30th & 31st, and then help me get out the door and into a taxi to the airport on the 1st. I've booked my flight at like 4 PM, so I don't have to wake up freakishly early.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

Thanks for the reminder, Midniter. I tend to hermit mode HARD when I'm sad, because I don't want to sit around being emotionally draining on my friends and loved ones. They've all got enough crap to deal with on their own without my feelings (ugh). But I do have plans to head out to VA to see my brother (and wife, and two kids) this weekend, and then see my friend C---- in Chinatown the weekend after that. Then, Christmas is at friend T----'s house in NJ, then the 29th, I go to Puppy's church to see him preach a sermon (or however you call it). He said he'd help me pack up and junk on the 30th & 31st, and then help me get out the door and into a taxi to the airport on the 1st. I've booked my flight at like 4 PM, so I don't have to wake up freakishly early.

Fella, that's what friends are for. Otherwise, there's a name for them: fair-weather friends.

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Dane posted:

Does anyone have the old christmas cookie recipe thread bookmarked? Or any of the threads, really? My skill at browsing archives has failed me.

Sorry to bump my request, but I'm working on a project (as some of you know) and thought I'd see if there was useful / inspiring stuff there. Anyone able to help?

Clavietika
Dec 18, 2005

I don't have the thread, but would you take a Christmas cookie recipe instead? I posted this in the recipes with few ingredients thread last year I think...

Whipped Shortbread
2 cups softened butter
1 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 cup Corn starch
3 cups AP flour

Method:
Preheat oven to 375. Whip that butter with your mixer until it's pale yellow, shiny and creamy. Then whip in the other stuff, starting at low until everything's in, then crank it to high for a couple minutes until it starts looking like hard ice cream. You can add vanilla extract (or really any flavour extract, almond goes really well too with a festive maraschino cherry)if you wanna get fancy before you add the dry ingredients. Drop cookies by the spoonful onto your ungreased cookie sheet, or you can stuff it in a cookie press whatever I don't care. Either way bake them for 12-15 minutes; pull them out just before the bottoms are as brown as you'd like, then leave them on the pan for a few minutes before moving them. The residual heat from the pan toasts the bottom up a bit more and prevents the cookies from drying out.

Makes about 4 dozen cookies if your rear end in a top hat housemates don't eat a third of your dough. You can decorate them too with colored sprinkles and stuff as they're christmassy, but most people I know prefer a plain shortbread. IMO they're too sweet for extra poo poo on top except maybe a nut or something.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Dane posted:

Sorry to bump my request, but I'm working on a project (as some of you know) and thought I'd see if there was useful / inspiring stuff there. Anyone able to help?

Sent you some stuff by PM now.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Dane posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3453687

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Thanks all 3!

e: and in that thread was the link to the previous one - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3235107

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Croatoan posted:

So I guess that whole "I only eat what was humanely raised and killed" thing went out the window huh? Also Fogo kicks rear end, stop sucking Keller's dick.

Ahhhahahahahha

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Randomity posted:

Ahhhahahahahha

So glad someone else lolled hard at this.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://nypost.com/2013/11/26/watch-out-cronut-the-smonut-is-coming-for-your-crown/

I need to get ahead of this smonut thing and invent dowffles. Or dookies.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

http://nypost.com/2013/11/26/watch-out-cronut-the-smonut-is-coming-for-your-crown/

I need to get ahead of this smonut thing and invent dowffles. Or dookies.

That looks disgusting.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So I came across this picture:

I don't know what exactly these are and google image search isn't very helpful but I'm gonna try making some tomorrow. Gotta buy some ring molds but I think the idea is use a mold to hold the pancake batter up (and maybe throw some goodies in the middle), brown on one side, put a second heated skillet over the top before flipping and browning the other side and finishing in the oven.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
whats wrong with pancake pancakes? :colbert:

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
welcome to base camp

Please notice all the pretty gravel!

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

mindphlux posted:

Because I want them as thick as hockey pucks and filled with jam.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

Republicans posted:

I don't know what exactly these are and google image search isn't very helpful but I'm gonna try making some tomorrow. Gotta buy some ring molds but I think the idea is use a mold to hold the pancake batter up (and maybe throw some goodies in the middle), brown on one side, put a second heated skillet over the top before flipping and browning the other side and finishing in the oven.

In my extremely French-Canadian area, these are called "plowboys". They tend to have link sausage, bacon, or ham in the middle and are soaked with maple syrup. They sit in your stomach like lead unless you go out and straight lumberjack for like 12 hours. One's memere would prepare them with decades-old tuna cans for molds.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I've spent the whole evening eating red beans and rice and drinking Session Fest (the holiday red lager release from Session). I have some incredibly delicious burps right now.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

That's not the kind of attitude that got America obese. Now come on! Where's your can-do attitude?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Republicans posted:

Oh look, a crumpet!

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Happy Hat posted:

welcome to base camp

Happy Hat, I work in humanitarian stuff too (though never in the field), and you are a boss for going out there. I love seeing these posts. Please keep them coming if you have time.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Dino., I am going to have a treat for you this weekend or the next. ;) I hope you feel better soon. Your holiday activities sound like the perfect comfort for a time like this.

I had "celery stir pork" last night and it was awesome.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFjstQ30RI8

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Those are painful to watch.

Reminds me of the time I made kimchee using chili powder instead of chile powder

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

:laffo: This is magnificent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

That is the best cooking video I've ever seen. I really enjoy the part where he says that he should use a sharper knife but then doesn't.