Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
all threads, however, are the schadenfreude thread :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GarlicPepper
May 31, 2004

Anyone else getting flash player stuttering and freezing with the latest nvidia drivers? I just upgraded my computer with a new mother board and video card. Everything running well except I'm getting stuttering and freezing when watching youtube or a live stream using flash. I have a Asus gtx770 paired with a Asus Z87-Pro. Currently on 331.65 drivers, rolled back from 331.82 in attempt to fix the problem.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Magic Underwear posted:

This isnt the bitcoin thread.

Obviously. :colbert: But mining has been a substantial impact for many AMD card owners / perspective owners and folks interested in selling their AMD cards. Especially since it's been the prevailing reason why many vendors, such as Newegg, have been out of stock.

For those of you who were holding out on buying an AMD card on the cheap when the bubble burst, you may want to keep an eye out. :woop: Litecoins are tumbling and before too long people are going to be looking to offload their 7970's, 280's, 290's, etc. in a hurry.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

GarlicPepper posted:

Anyone else getting flash player stuttering and freezing with the latest nvidia drivers? I just upgraded my computer with a new mother board and video card. Everything running well except I'm getting stuttering and freezing when watching youtube or a live stream using flash. I have a Asus gtx770 paired with a Asus Z87-Pro. Currently on 331.65 drivers, rolled back from 331.82 in attempt to fix the problem.

What browser are you using, and is hardware acceleration disabled? It used to be useful but now it pretty much just causes problems in many browsers, notably Firefox. Give that a shot and see what happens (also, did rolling back the drivers fix the problem?)

Speaking of drivers, nVidia has sort of quietly pushed some new drivers that y'all ought to be aware of, still in the R331 driver release but now version 331.93. The main thing for it apart from some minor SLI buffs and an AssCreed4 multiplayer fix is that it is nVidia's best shot yet at fixing the issues with Fermi cards under the modern drivers!. If you're running a 400- or 500-series card, nab this sucker quick-like and see if you can finally play some recent releases worth a drat instead of being stuck on R316 and earlier drivers.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

cat doter posted:

I have absolutely no idea, it looks completely different when using the DVI-HDMI cable. It looks closer to what the image is SUPPOSED to look like (ie 1080p image with 1:1 pixel mapping) but it's still off by a bit causing some image issues, especially with white text on a black background.

Going HDMI to HDMI has a very blurry image and the pixel mapping is nowhere near 1:1 and I have to use the underscan settings to fix the image. Fuckin cheap chinese TVs man, I'd save up for a better one but I've got other priorities at the moment.

I had this exact same thing happen to me when I went from DVI on my old card to HDMI on my new card. Same TV, same color/brightess/contrast settings, but for some loving reason using HDMI outputs an overscanned image with some insane color profile. It took me days to loving with the settings on the monitor to get an acceptable image, and text still looks like poo poo and I don't think it's quite at 1:1 pixel mapping. In my case I'm using a somewhat recent Samsung TV. DVI still looks great and perfect, though.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Agreed posted:

If you're running a 400- or 500-series card, nab this sucker quick-like and see if you can finally play some recent releases worth a drat instead of being stuck on R316 and earlier drivers.

While this driver seems to fix the problem in many maybe in the majority of cases, unfortunately in my case it didn't. I've been sending Nvidida the dump files and hope they keep working on it. Still, if you haven't tried it yet, it's definitely worth a shot.

Altran
Mar 20, 2013

fletcher posted:

BF4 is certainly infested with bugs but when it's not crashing it seems optimized pretty well - your rig just isn't powerful enough to run it on medium settings. I had a similar rig and I ran it on low settings @ 1920x1080 with fancy stuff all turned off and it was definitely playable, 30-65fps.

I don't follow hardware news very often. I had thoughts that my rig is pretty good. :S
is it the CPU, or the GPU, or the RAM has to be upgraded? Do you have any suggestions on what kind of build (minimum cost) will be able to run BF4 on high settings?

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Ghostpilot posted:

Obviously. :colbert: But mining has been a substantial impact for many AMD card owners / perspective owners and folks interested in selling their AMD cards. Especially since it's been the prevailing reason why many vendors, such as Newegg, have been out of stock.

For those of you who were holding out on buying an AMD card on the cheap when the bubble burst, you may want to keep an eye out. :woop: Litecoins are tumbling and before too long people are going to be looking to offload their 7970's, 280's, 290's, etc. in a hurry.

Wasn't there a potential issue in that miners run the cards at 100% 24/7 or something? I remember somebody, maybe Agreed, saying something along those lines?

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Schiavona posted:

Wasn't there a potential issue in that miners run the cards at 100% 24/7 or something? I remember somebody, maybe Agreed, saying something along those lines?
Inadequate cooling, poor power management, etc. Really I'd avoid the cards for the damage they've taken. If you had to take one be very careful with overclocking. There's a reason mining rigs are hilarious to look at outside of the waste of electricity that they are.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Altran posted:

I don't follow hardware news very often. I had thoughts that my rig is pretty good. :S
is it the CPU, or the GPU, or the RAM has to be upgraded? Do you have any suggestions on what kind of build (minimum cost) will be able to run BF4 on high settings?

Overclock your i5 and it should be fine. It's probably out of warranty or will be soon so you have nothing to lose. Your 6970 is about the level of a 7850 if you over clock it and if benchmarks are to be believed, so it's probably the bottleneck. You'd need to get in the range of a 7970 or r9 280x for an upgrade to be worth the money, though.

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009

cat doter posted:

I have absolutely no idea, it looks completely different when using the DVI-HDMI cable. It looks closer to what the image is SUPPOSED to look like (ie 1080p image with 1:1 pixel mapping) but it's still off by a bit causing some image issues, especially with white text on a black background.

Going HDMI to HDMI has a very blurry image and the pixel mapping is nowhere near 1:1 and I have to use the underscan settings to fix the image. Fuckin cheap chinese TVs man, I'd save up for a better one but I've got other priorities at the moment.

My fix for this has always been using a DVI to VGA converter, using the TV's VGA port, editing the EDID using phoenix to make it support 1080p (and think it's the native resolution) which produced a near perfect image. I can't do that now though because the R9 290 doesn't support it.

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I had this exact same thing happen to me when I went from DVI on my old card to HDMI on my new card. Same TV, same color/brightess/contrast settings, but for some loving reason using HDMI outputs an overscanned image with some insane color profile. It took me days to loving with the settings on the monitor to get an acceptable image, and text still looks like poo poo and I don't think it's quite at 1:1 pixel mapping. In my case I'm using a somewhat recent Samsung TV. DVI still looks great and perfect, though.

Update on this.

I clicked around, and found this and this which suggests that HDMI on certain monitors defaults to "HDMI (TV)" instead of "HDMI (PC)". I changed mine to the latter, and all issues are fixed. No idea why that is, and the setting was deeply buried in the settings under something like "Rename the input types", but if anyone else runs across HDMI-to-HDMI image problems, be sure that it's set to the correct HDMI input type. Why one HDMI is different than another HDMI doesn't make any sense to me, HDMI being a standard and all.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I should have commented that I initially had the same problem on my Samsung monitor, and that Samsung monitors and Samsung TVs are basically the same thing minus a set of speakers, sorry, just wasn't putting 2 and 2 together there. For me it involved manually adjusting the content type that my graphics card was telling my monitor it was receiving, via HDMI. Now I just use DVI, though I believe I'll soon be using DisplayPort as soon as a practical G-Sync monitor is produced. :)

This Jacket Is Me
Jan 29, 2009
I really, really hope that there's a sub-$200 Gsync monitor available soon after launch, because that is some serious cool poo poo right there. You can have the bombest video card and still get stuttering and drops from time to time, but having a monitor that can compensate for that is going to be some really cool stuff.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ghostpilot posted:

I wonder if the Ebayer who bought my 7970GE on Wednesday will try to sell it back to me for cheaper now :P

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Ok, this is weird, is there a ghost post before this one? Should be user Josh Lyman, but don't see anything there? Or are the forums acting up?

Edit: Swear to god, I refreshed the page three times trying to figure out what the post above this one was and nothing came up. Huh.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Agreed posted:

Ok, this is weird, is there a ghost post before this one? Should be user Josh Lyman, but don't see anything there? Or are the forums acting up?

Edit: Swear to god, I refreshed the page three times trying to figure out what the post above this one was and nothing came up. Huh.

acting up

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Agreed posted:

You are crazy, but I saw the same thing so its a shared delusion.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Agreed posted:

This post?

Josh Lyman posted:

I wonder if the Ebayer who bought my 7970GE on Wednesday will try to sell it back to me for cheaper now :P

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
I was getting the same problem until there was a post after it.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
Having a ghost post that doesn't appear until someone posts after it is a known forum bug.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

What? I am evolving?

I've learned exorcism!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Thanks to price drops I am probably getting an Asus 780 DCII for Xmas.

I guess I should sell my 580 Lightning. I'd be tempted to use it as a physx card, but I have a feeling the heat it puts out would be more detrimental to the 780's overclock than beneficial.

I'm already in the know on over clocking Kepler cards thanks to Agreed at least :toot:

GarlicPepper
May 31, 2004

Agreed posted:

What browser are you using, and is hardware acceleration disabled? It used to be useful but now it pretty much just causes problems in many browsers, notably Firefox. Give that a shot and see what happens (also, did rolling back the drivers fix the problem?)

Speaking of drivers, nVidia has sort of quietly pushed some new drivers that y'all ought to be aware of, still in the R331 driver release but now version 331.93. The main thing for it apart from some minor SLI buffs and an AssCreed4 multiplayer fix is that it is nVidia's best shot yet at fixing the issues with Fermi cards under the modern drivers!. If you're running a 400- or 500-series card, nab this sucker quick-like and see if you can finally play some recent releases worth a drat instead of being stuck on R316 and earlier drivers.

Thanks for the advice. I think it's simply a network problem. I was using a usb wifi device to connect to the internet, which worked better on my old motherboard for some reason. I'm now using the wifi device that came with the new motherboard and so far that has helped tremendously.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Sepist posted:

I hope this is the right thread to ask this. Have any of you come across an issue with nVidia cards where the HDMI display will randomly crap out, and come back a few seconds later. Basically I'll be watching VLC, or playing a game, or even browsing the web, and my screen will go blank, the hdmi lost signal will pop up, and then the display will return. The drivers don't crash and nothing shows up in the windows event viewer about it. Here is what I've done so far:

- Stress tested the card, I can get it up to full load @ 53 Celsius for an extended period of time, ruling out cooling issues
- Uninstalled all drivers, then used the driver clean up tool to remove everything including the old ATI 5770 drivers
- Re-installed drivers using the latest, non beta drivers. I've tried 2 other sets of drivers and it still happens
- Underclocked the memory by 50mhz and the GPU by 45 mhz
- Moved the 660ti card from the upper PCIx16 slot to the lower one
- Set the GPU fan to go to full speed once it goes above 40 celsius, and set all of my full tower fans to go full speed

I'm at a loss at this point, my next step is to format the PC and see if it's a windows thing.

This ended up being fixed by using the DisplayPort with a HDMI adapter, so I guess the HDMI port is shot on my card.

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

GarlicPepper posted:

Have you recently updated flash? I've been getting similar problems since the last update, but I'm using a AMD card with no internet problems elsewhere.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So I go to see what the prices are on a couple of 7970 Ghz Editions that I'm possibly interested in, and see that the prices of almost all of the 7970s are now $500-600 on Newegg. This Bitcoin/Litecoin nonsense needs to end.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SourKraut posted:

So I go to see what the prices are on a couple of 7970 Ghz Editions that I'm possibly interested in, and see that the prices of almost all of the 7970s are now $500-600 on Newegg. This Bitcoin/Litecoin nonsense needs to end.
IIRC, prices get weird when items are out of stock, though I suppose there's no reason Newegg couldn't jack up prices.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SourKraut posted:

the prices of almost all of the 7970s are now $500-600 on Newegg.
The R9 280X is still available for a moderate premium over MSRP from other stores. Though they're having supply issues too.

Newegg really isn't the best place to get deals on stuff now. They still have some of the best parts selection and description (ie. pics, specs) though so I still browse that site often but will buy elsewhere.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Sepist posted:

This ended up being fixed by using the DisplayPort with a HDMI adapter, so I guess the HDMI port is shot on my card.

Have you tried another HDMI cable to see if the one you had was the problem?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Thank goodness I manged to get a 290 that unlocked to an X for $315 after everything. :toot:

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

SourKraut posted:

If you're looking to buy 7970s, I'm selling both of mine(Sapphire reference models); I can't put them up for sale in SA-mart though.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Acquilae posted:

If you're looking to buy 7970s, I'm selling both of mine(Sapphire reference models); I can't put them up for sale in SA-mart though.
not to be lovely to SourKraut (really he may as well just get a 280X though) but you can easily ebay those for $350-400 each if you have the slightest inclination :)

I've been seeing more PowerColor 7990s pop up on ebay too, I bet those are other people like me who got them for $500 from Newegg a couple months ago, these particular 7990s don't seem that common... three-slot models, like the super limited edition Devil13 but with all black coolers. 7990s in general are up as high as $1100 now, that is so ridiculous. I thought this poo poo would be cooling off by now what with litecoin falling a bit and people flocking to flip their barely-used AMD cards in droves, but nope.

The HIS 290s I ordered from Newegg were showing out of stock immediately after I ordered, and got stuck in "packaging" for 3 days, so I was worried they were actually out or only had one or something, but they finally shipped yesterday :dance:

Straker fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 8, 2013

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

This Jacket Is Me posted:

Update on this.

I clicked around, and found this and this which suggests that HDMI on certain monitors defaults to "HDMI (TV)" instead of "HDMI (PC)". I changed mine to the latter, and all issues are fixed. No idea why that is, and the setting was deeply buried in the settings under something like "Rename the input types", but if anyone else runs across HDMI-to-HDMI image problems, be sure that it's set to the correct HDMI input type. Why one HDMI is different than another HDMI doesn't make any sense to me, HDMI being a standard and all.

Are you talking about settings with the TV itself? Because one of the reasons I lament this lovely generic chinese TV so much is there's almost no image settings on it at all. It has an aspect ratio option, a zoom option (in case you wanted even more overscan!) a noise filter, and your standard colour/brightness/contrast settings. That's it. Connecting via VGA has a bunch of options to fix the image, but there's loving nothing on the HDMI inputs.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Straker posted:

not to be lovely to SourKraut (really he may as well just get a 280X though) but you can easily ebay those for $350-400 each if you have the slightest inclination :)
Yeah I've seen the eBay prices lately on them but would rather skip the fees they take.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I'm assuming this Litecoin business wouldn't allow me to mark up a 7950 to sell, just 7970's?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Ozz81 posted:

Have you tried another HDMI cable to see if the one you had was the problem?

I'm using the same one that was connected to the faulty HDMI port, but now it's going through the displayport adapter

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I'm assuming this Litecoin business wouldn't allow me to mark up a 7950 to sell, just 7970's?
I think for price:performance (which is a dumb metric for litecoin mining, since you want good performance:power usage or performance:PCIe slots used in the long run, but these are miners, of course they're not that competent) 7950s are actually the best cards so yeah they love them. It's relative, I mean you're not going to get a thousand bucks for one but it looks like they're at around $300 on eBay, obviously way more than they're worth even new, you could get a nice nearly-free upgrade to a 280X or something if you can go without playing games for a while until stuff is back in stock at reasonable prices.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Straker posted:

I think for price:performance (which is a dumb metric for litecoin mining, since you want good performance:power usage or performance:PCIe slots used in the long run, but these are miners, of course they're not that competent) 7950s are actually the best cards so yeah they love them. It's relative, I mean you're not going to get a thousand bucks for one but it looks like they're at around $300 on eBay, obviously way more than they're worth even new, you could get a nice nearly-free upgrade to a 280X or something if you can go without playing games for a while until stuff is back in stock at reasonable prices.

Oh wow, I could definitely do that. Especially considering I bought it for 300 last year. Besides, I can get GT6 to tide me over till I get money and upgrade to a 290 for cheap.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Remember ebay and paypal will probably eat like 13% between them but yeah, that would be a nice upgrade :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009
My R9 280x that I recently purchased needs to be RMAed, but I'm wondering if its a good idea to maybe get a 290 or 290x instead. I'm probably going up to 1440p resolution gaming soon, and I don't think a single R9 280x is going to cut it. My idea was to return the 280x and get a 290x or just get a replacement 280x and buy a second one for Crossfire when I do make the jump into 1440p.

My question is, is a single 290x or dual 280x a better choice overall?

The rest of my system is an i7-4770k with 8 GB of DDR3-1866 RAM, and a 750 watt Corsair AX750 (gold rated) PSU (I got it relatively new from a friend, which is why I went for the slight overkill).