Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

QuarkMartial posted:

In that sentence, "slow down" just meant "I'm not traveling as fast as I normally would". I let off the gas and coast through any big puddles figuring that I'd just get slowed down by the water instead of spinning out of control.
Here's why this was making me wonder:

QuarkMartial posted:

instead of slowing down I just let off the gas
As long as you mean you're letting off the gas to slow down, you're doing exactly what you should. If you're doing anything else, we need to keep talking :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Generally if you keep on maintenance throttle it's enough to keep you straight when a tire sticks but not enough to pull to one side if one slips. You don't really want one side engine braking while the other coasts frictionless, either. Depending on conditions (especially if your tires are worn out) you may be planing in water really too shallow to slow you down much.

If the water's so deep you're pushing it with body parts, you've got other problems.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Got it. Thanks!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
sorry about bad photograph. click for more large

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

atomicthumbs posted:

I win.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Nice try.

http://wreg.com/2013/12/05/car-ends-up-on-top-of-another-car/

It's even worse when you realize the blue car was trying to back out of a parking space.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I like how witnesses blamed the drivers brakes not working.

How the gently caress did they manage that? And why hasn't the driver been banned from driving for life?

E: oh, sounds like they started out on the second level of a parking structure. Still, how does your brakes not working at parking lot speeds result in going over the barrier and landing on another car?

Also, two for one, rubberneckers proceeded to cause an accident on a road and close it down too :eng99:

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 7, 2013

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Looking a bit at the address on Google Maps, it seems it's all surface parking, but one lot is about a meter above the other. It looks like the blue car flew off its level and hit the gold SUV on the fender/hood area with its left rear wheel, thereby rotating like it did.

Still, what speeds would you have to be going to do such a thing, and even if there was no brakes, why would you not catch at least some of it with the parking brake?

The funny part is that the gold Ford is probably totalled while the blue car could be saved.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

kastein posted:

Also, two for one, rubberneckers proceeded to cause an accident on a road and close it down too :eng99:

That's Memphis for ya.

I've been staring at it for a couple of days now, on twitter and facebook, and I'm still not entirely sure how you could be that bad at driving.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

kastein posted:

I like how witnesses blamed the drivers brakes not working.

How the gently caress did they manage that? And why hasn't the driver been banned from driving for life?

E: oh, sounds like they started out on the second level of a parking structure. Still, how does your brakes not working at parking lot speeds result in going over the barrier and landing on another car?

I imagine it panning out sort of like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swth05GZesA
I doubt the driver even touched her brakes.

Edit: Here's the video I was looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1qUF2u967c

Pretty much the same though.

VVVVV: "Witnesses say the driver’s brakes did not work and she ended up on top of an SUV in the lower parking lot.". Unless you thought I meant the driver in the first video, my bad then. Should have been clearer that I was talking about the driver in the article. :)

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Dec 7, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Why the assumption it's a she? :v:

At least here in America at lot of those types of accidents is done by elderly drivers, I guess as people go senile their ability to react to "oh poo poo I pressed the wrong pedal" goes to hell.

XCPuff
Nov 26, 2005

FEAR THIS MAN

xzzy posted:

I guess it's a different culture here in soccer mom suburbia. Because around here, as soon as that stop light turns green the pedal is flat to the floor and they are dumping every last ounce of torque that poor engine can produce into the tires.

poo poo, I wish the minivans around here drove like that.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

I did something like this once :downs:

It was the middle of a TSD rally five years ago and I picked to worst place to turn around. I didn't realize the road dropped off like that. Oh well I got pulled out and still finished. Some other goons were running it and got to see this.

Also about the sitting up high thing. I was driving my truck today and paying attention to what I could see because of it. There was one definite advantage. A guy in a Taurus pulled way to far forward while waiting to go left out of a parking lot and I was going right. Since I was in my truck I just saw right over him. If I was in my Fiesta I would have had to pull just about into the road to see. So paying attention there are definite benefits to sitting up high. I guess I just never really paid attention to them.

SFH1989 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 8, 2013

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Hard parking dot com! Seeing that video of the BMW X5, I didn't know those fuckers where so buff, I don't care but that takes some skill to monster truck cars like that.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrOnBicycle posted:

I imagine it panning out sort of like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swth05GZesA

Edit: Here's the video I was looking for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1qUF2u967c

Pretty much the same though.

I wonder how many of these types of accidents are people that drive with their left foot on the brake and right on the gas then get the two confused?

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

SFH1989 posted:

It was the middle of a TSD rally

Wait what :stare:

...you were rallying that? I'm guessing that drives about the same as my '94 Suburban, and if I get near a curve at any speed other than "kinda slow" I'm pulling bits of seat cushion out my rear end later on.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 8, 2013

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Friar Zucchini posted:

Wait what :stare:

...you were rallying that? I'm guessing that drives about the same as my '94 Suburban, and if I get near a curve at any speed other than "kinda slow" I'm pulling bits of seat cushion out my rear end later on.

Wrong kind of rallying. He was doing the slow speed regular roads one not the high speed gravel roads one.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It's actually quite amazing what a vehicle will do when the stars of physics align just right. Like this evergreen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ad4e3HtTwYs

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

InterceptorV8 posted:

Hard parking dot com! Seeing that video of the BMW X5, I didn't know those fuckers where so buff, I don't care but that takes some skill to monster truck cars like that.

I wish there was sound available on the vid, because it looks like it was really limping as it drove off camera.

In Alberta shops won't work on a vehicle with over $1000 of damage without a police damage sticker. Do other places have that? Because all those accidents look like they would require some serious repair to the offending vehicle.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jonny Nox posted:

I wish there was sound available on the vid, because it looks like it was really limping as it drove off camera.

In Alberta shops won't work on a vehicle with over $1000 of damage without a police damage sticker. Do other places have that? Because all those accidents look like they would require some serious repair to the offending vehicle.
Never heard of it. It's something to say that the accident was properly recorded, right? I can see why it makes sense for a some stuff, but surely there must be people who have a repair needed that isn't an accident the police would get involved in? $1000 isn't a huge amount, you could probably do that scraping your own driveway gatepost or something.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Never heard of it. It's something to say that the accident was properly recorded, right? I can see why it makes sense for a some stuff, but surely there must be people who have a repair needed that isn't an accident the police would get involved in? $1000 isn't a huge amount, you could probably do that scraping your own driveway gatepost or something.

Not to mention cops in the US won't even show up for a "non reportable" accident (if no one needs to leave in an ambulance and the cars are drivable). They're too busy shaking down people with a couple of joints on them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, at least his handbrake'll work really well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Snow chains for a half inch of snow? Please tell me there's a mountain pass 50 feet out of frame.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug

The rear tires on the flatbed were easily 25%-of-sidewall-height compressed.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

xzzy posted:

Snow chains for a half inch of snow? Please tell me there's a mountain pass 50 feet out of frame.

If I didn't see the Washington plate, I'd think that was Colorado. We've got idiots here who run studded tires year round.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

xzzy posted:

Front wheel drive :negative:

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

bolind posted:

The rear tires on the flatbed were easily 25%-of-sidewall-height compressed.

That's cute.

Driving in my city, bicycling in my city, walking in my city. I hate the vast majority of the people I share the asphalt with and because I'm special I like it when I have a good reason to step out and speak with somebody here who has hosed up (, because Sweden).

I also hate the contracted company for sanding and plowing the last three years. First time we enter freezing temperatures they scrape the asphalt clean with empty plowing and roll out enough sand and salt that pedestrians slip and fall. We're approaching the third day of a respectable layer of snow only now, and there hasn't been a single plow or sander sent out. First day of snow I peek out and see a dick breaking the speed by my area so fast that he'd end up downtown if he stood on the brakes.
So don't share the road with anybody in Västerås, Sweden. It's not safe. :smith:

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 9, 2013

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Black88GTA posted:

Front wheel drive :negative:

Technically that's sort of correct. You always want the most grip on the rears regardless in the snow. If your front out brakes your rear in snow things get sideways and lovely fast.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

I believe in Alberta they recently raised the amount to $2000 or thereabouts. Regardless many shops do expect you to have the accident reporting sticker.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

8ender posted:

Technically that's sort of correct. You always want the most grip on the rears regardless in the snow. If your front out brakes your rear in snow things get sideways and lovely fast.

Well, right but if the roads are so bad / slick that you'd feel it necessary to chain up in the first place, I wouldn't think you'd be going anywhere in a FWD Altima with chains only on the non-driven wheels. I'd think you'd want chains for all 4 in that situation, or none at all. I've (fortunately) never had to deal with tire chains though, so v:shobon:v

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Black88GTA posted:

Well, right but if the roads are so bad / slick that you'd feel it necessary to chain up in the first place, I wouldn't think you'd be going anywhere in a FWD Altima with chains only on the non-driven wheels. I'd think you'd want chains for all 4 in that situation, or none at all. I've (fortunately) never had to deal with tire chains though, so v:shobon:v

Oh yeah absolutely. It's a retarded setup, just not as retarded as most think.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
I believe this is in the spirit of this thread.

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

I believe this is in the spirit of this thread.

He was so close to saving it.. so close :negative:

How do these people manage to fuckup so badly? How is their first reaction not "Oh poo poo!" and to stop touching the pedals?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I guess if I stepped on what I thought was the brake and the car revved like crazy, I might have a similar useless panicked reaction. I dunno. But the thing is, I've never in my life confused those two pedals. How does that happen?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I did that once when I had just received my learner's permit. Did a sweet reverse burnout off a curb in my uncle's new truck but figured out the problem pretty much immediately and didn't even come close to hitting anything.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I believe in Alberta they recently raised the amount to $2000 or thereabouts. Regardless many shops do expect you to have the accident reporting sticker.

I had a co worker who had a maintenance guy at his townhouse scratch up his van with a snowblower and no one would give him a quote until he filed a police report which pissed off the landscape contractor (who didn't want any record of it)

I'm gonna throw out a wild guess that the insurance industry is who pushed for the practice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Jonny Nox posted:

I'm gonna throw out a wild guess that the insurance industry is who pushed for the practice.

I doubt it, because they'd love to have things handled informally (which means they don't pay anything).
It is clearly designed to prevent hit and runs.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Something recent I thought was strange and a little suspicious happened, I'd been driving fast on an empty rural freeway for quite a while, and a Brinks armored truck changed up and blocked the left of the two lanes by pacing a tractor-trailer. I waited a couple minutes before I realized that they were purposefully doing it, and after flashing them a few times and I had decided it was on purpose, killed the lights, dropped it into third and blew past across an onramp.

I still can't figure out what the hell was going on and I've never had it happen. I've had the opposite, truckers timing their passes on 5 in the middle of the night so I can maintain high speed. Would a Brinks truck block the road because a radio call went out when some hillbilly shitlord called 911 over someone going 20 mph faster than they were? Or are they operated by assholes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

jamal posted:

I did that once when I had just received my learner's permit. Did a sweet reverse burnout off a curb in my uncle's new truck but figured out the problem pretty much immediately and didn't even come close to hitting anything.

I did that once too in my parent's Explorer, except I did it in reverse and ended up in a ditch. Even more reversing solved that problem though!