Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Fangz posted:

I wonder if Tarquin would be acting differently if he knew that Elan was guaranteed a 'happy ending' by word of Prophecy, not merely a Pyrrhic, bittersweet victory like he's aiming to achieve.

Elan already had his happy ending, so anything goes.

(I still think he'll end up with a real happy ending, but I'm glad that particular prophecy has been nullified to keep the possibilities open and the tension real.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm sure Haley has already given him plenty of happy endings.

(Booo! Hiss!)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Trapezium Dave posted:

Elan already had his happy ending, so anything goes.

(I still think he'll end up with a real happy ending, but I'm glad that particular prophecy has been nullified to keep the possibilities open and the tension real.)

I agree; IMO that's just a fake-out for prophecy 'spergers. It also draws a line between a 'fantasy' happy ending where nothing is risked or lost, and a real one.

Rich, dropping science about Tarquin (people complaining about his 'sudden character change'):

quote:

I can't think of anything more boring than a character who always wins and never gets emotionally impacted by anything.

Also, undercutting that so-called "redefinition of evil" is sort of the point. Because it's bull****. It's not a real thing. You can't be a torturing, mass-murdering rapist and then go home and turn your Evil Switch to the "off" position to spend time with your kids. It doesn't work that way. If you are the sort of person that can commit the acts that Tarquin does daily, then that will find its way into every aspect of your existence. It's who you are. This idea that Tarquin was this perfectly rational actor despite being a complete monster at his Day Job is a pipe dream. Tarquin wants you (and Elan) to think that what he does is separate from who he is—that he's a fundamentally decent man who just so happens to murder a bunch of people here and there—because that's how he tricks you into slowly accepting his blatant Evil as a valid life choice that needs to be respected. Which it is not.

Some people want to love the villain without having to face the fact that villains are largely terrible people who do horrific things with deficient reasoning. Not on my watch.

Edit: And a follow up

quote:

quote:

You're absolutely wrong here. For example, there are plenty of cases where children had no idea that their parents had committed atrocities or had helped commit atrocities. The fact of the matter is that, yes, Virginia, people can and do do horrible things and otherwise come across as decent people to those who don't know about their actions. It's astounding that you think otherwise.

emphasis mine.

You're arguing against something I didn't say. The "Evil Switch" i'm talking about is not the external facade, it's the internal reality of the person. I don't dispute for one second that people can come across as otherwise decent people. Yes, I concur that it is entirely realistic for people who commit horrible atrocities to seem like good people in other situations. But the key word there is, "seem." Being able to act like a good person some of the time does not make one a good person, it makes one a competent actor. Someone mentally and emotionally capable of intentional deliberate mass murder is still capable of mass murder when hugging their child. They're just not doing it that moment.

Tarquin seemed like a decent person when we met him, that's the entire point. It would have been entirely plausible for Tarquin to have never cracked his facade, to continue acting like a calm and collected person who separated his two lives, but I have no interest in writing that. First, it's boring, and second, it sends a message that you can totally commit atrocities and it's OK, that doesn't make you a bad person as long as you pet a dog afterward. Yes, it makes you a bad person. That is the point. That is the message I am consciously conveying with my story, and if you disagree with it, that's fine, I guess. But I'm not going to take, "You conveyed the message you wanted to convey but I don't like it!" as a criticism that I need to pay attention to.

quote:

All this talk in the comic about upsetting traditional narratives, and here you are on the forums complaining about the fact that your audience loves the villain.

I'm not complaining that they love the villain as a character, I'm complaining that they love the villain as a person. I want them to love Tarquin as a well-developed element of the fiction that serves his purpose in the story well while raising interesting points about both the way people act in the real world and the way that stories are often constructed these days, and gets off some funny jokes in the process. I don't want them to love him because it's so cool that he can do all these horrible things and still be totally emotionally untouched by it because yeah, doin' evil is awesome and totally should be portrayed as just another lifestyle choice!

And I wasn't really complaining so much as saying I have no interest in making that easy for them. It undercuts the point I am trying to make, which is that evil isn't cool. Which is challenging the traditional narrative—at least the narrative of the last 40 years of pop culture which has told us relentlessly that the character who is more morally questionable is always cooler than the one who is more morally upright.

Yet another edit:

quote:

quote:

The issue I have is that from your previous posts you hinted that the way Tarquin is now is the way he's always been, that this is the REAL Tarquin, and we're just seeing it now, that he's dropped his facade and is showing us who he really is. Now, here you say that you've broken Tarquin. Fair enough. But when someone talks about breaking someone, the implication is that they aren't acting the way they would normally, or how they really are, but in an "altered" personality. When everything is crumbling around you, you tend to lash out ... but few think that in those cases you were always a person who lashed out blindly as opposed to someone who simply lost control of themselves and isn't acting how they would act normally or in a way that reflects who they really are.

Well, if few people think that, then count me as among those few. You reveal who you really are under stress—stress doesn't magically turn you into someone else unrelated to who you usually are. The fact that you may not have ever known that this is who you were doesn't change anything.

I don't think Tarquin sat around thinking, "Ha ha! I am fooling them into thinking I love my family! I am so clever!" I think he thought that he really loved his family, right up until the point where loving his family conflicted with him being in total control. And then both he and the readers got to see which one of the two really mattered to him.

In other words, when I use the word "facade," I am not referring to a conscious artifice on Tarquin's part. I am referring to the idea that the true core of his being is hidden—possibly even from himself—until the crucible of the story burns it out of him. This is why it was in conflict with comments on this thread about people in real life who segregate their evil actions from the love of family—because in real life, there's no guarantee that such a crucible moment will ever occur.

Oh, hell, just go read the thread. There's some fascinating stuff about how Rich views Tarquin, and evil.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 8, 2013

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Rich's answers might be really interesting, but I don't know if I am willing to suffer through the oots-forum for them. Even the bits you posted make me grown. They are pretty much nerd arguing 101.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I'm not sure to either love the fact we get a very good look at the creative process with his posts or hate the fact this to some extent restricts legitimate discussion and alternate interpretation of the text. I cited 'Death of the Author' myself as a thing I like but it isn't exactly feasible to ignore everything the writer thinks about his work.

That and him wading into the cesspool that is his divisive fanbase just seems to only serve to slow down his output. :mad:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Death of the author" is fine when analyzing a work. It is completely worthless when arguing with the author that he is making his characters act out of character. It doesn't work that way. That isn't Death of the Author, it's just being upset that the story isn't what you want it to be.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'm not sure to either love the fact we get a very good look at the creative process with his posts or hate the fact this to some extent restricts legitimate discussion and alternate interpretation of the text. I cited 'Death of the Author' myself as a thing I like but it isn't exactly feasible to ignore everything the writer thinks about his work.

He bails about a page after the link. But yeah, while I like the red meat aspect of it, it's always a mixed feeling seeing behind the mask.

I'd guess the reason for him being so open is that we're a few strips away from the end of the arc (Tarquin is out of allies and out of time) after a very long arc so he's letting some cats out of the bag (or at least pointing at the cats that have been let out of the bag and saying THEY ARE CATS).

quote:

[That and him wading into the cesspool that is his divisive fanbase just seems to only serve to slow down his output. :mad:

The GITP forums have improved as far as I can tell from my occasional visits, it's normally just a doofus or two arguing with the group. And there's been some pretty hardcore spergin' in this thread so it's not like goons are immune.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

ImpAtom posted:

"Death of the author" is fine when analyzing a work. It is completely worthless when arguing with the author that he is making his characters act out of character. It doesn't work that way. That isn't Death of the Author, it's just being upset that the story isn't what you want it to be.

Well, yes and no. It's also about how critical analysis cannot be strictly 'wrong' as long as you support your argument, even if it goes against what the author meant.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

WeaponBoy posted:

Well, yes and no. It's also about how critical analysis cannot be strictly 'wrong' as long as you support your argument, even if it goes against what the author meant.

Nerd criticism of OOTS tends more towards IF I HAD PLAYED THOSE CHARACTERS I WOULD NEVER HAVE DONE THAT STUPID THING. I think there's room for some fruitful DotA style critique of the strip, particularly (for e.g.) around the roles of fathers, but it's always gonna be a bit hamstrung by the story being incomplete.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Dec 9, 2013

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Speaking of hardcore sperging, I wonder if there are rules for broken arms in D&D. :v:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

I meant about his posting in general, but statements that imply that Tarquin doesn't actually know military strategy come across as odd.

quote:

Nerd criticism of OOTS tends more towards IF I HAD PLAYED THOSE CHARACTERS I WOULD NEVER HAVE DONE THAT STUPID THING. I think there's some fruitful DotA style critique of the strip, particularly (for e.g.) around the roles of fathers, but it's always gonna be a bit hamstrung by the story being incomplete.

Does this still happen? This is one of those things where its "If your under stress and under fire you are NOT coming up with the most optimal thing to do every 6 seconds."

quote:

Speaking of hardcore sperging, I wonder if there are rules for broken arms in D&D.

Second Edition, iirc someone posted. Since Tarquin's group seem to be old timers.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does this still happen? This is one of those things where its "If your under stress and under fire you are NOT coming up with the most optimal thing to do every 6 seconds."
Haha man, given there's a caster fight about to crop up I'm willing to wager we'll see a whole rout of complaining about the casters not having optimized god mode builds and/or X or Y should(n't) have won because if I was playing them they'd definitely have spell B C or D. I admit that in any fiction it can be frustrating to see the authorial intent swing how you perceived a fight would go but the OoTS forums redefines it to the point of absurdity.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I love the implied fact that Tarquin loved his children only as a plot device. If they refuse to play their part, murder everything.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Death of the Author is a perfectly valid literary analysis technique, but be damned sure that said Author will do whatever he can to gently caress with you if he gets wind of it.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Not to mention that this particular argument is less "Death of the Author" and more "I know better than the Author". Sure, you can develop your own analyses of a work, but you really can't really fault the author for not following your interpretation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

Haha man, given there's a caster fight about to crop up I'm willing to wager we'll see a whole rout of complaining about the casters not having optimized god mode builds and/or X or Y should(n't) have won because if I was playing them they'd definitely have spell B C or D. I admit that in any fiction it can be frustrating to see the authorial intent swing how you perceived a fight would go but the OoTS forums redefines it to the point of absurdity.

This fight might be slightly better than some, I can easily see it as an "either way" thing.

Psionics require a wizard to be a little prepared against, such as when V cast Mind Blank in preparation of fighting the Ancient Black Dragon. I don't know if V has a suitable transmutation spell nor if Protection from Evil would work effectively against stunlock'ing combo's Laurin could probably do.

On the other hand as we saw with the Dragon and fake Xykon fight V can potentially lock Laurin down for at least a round with Forcecage, like with the Sorceress and Zz-maester' fights I suspect V could chain an effective strategy that forces Laurin to attrite away the remainder of her power points.

I think whats key is that apparently its V's move first so V has the advantage for any sort of probably round one knock out blows, and vice versa once its Laurin's turn. I don't think either of them have that many buff's active (V's seems to have deliberately landed to avoid fall damage from a dispel).

I believe its clearly V's fight to win but because narrative, i.e, this is when Tarquin will lose because plot, not strictly because of what we know of V or Laurin's build; which only at best let us speculate how the victory or defeat transpires.

Also because people are really unsure of Laurin's abilities as despite her power spamming the hardcore dice rolling sliderulers can't seem to narrow her level down beyond "somewhere above 13".

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Dec 9, 2013

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
I cannot wait for Rich to just absolutely shred Tarquin in every physical and emotional sense. I wonder if it will be worth it to read the OoTS forums for tears.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Death of the Author is definitely a thing, but it doesn't mean that the author isn't an immense source of evidence for interpretation because if he's done his craft well then the intended interpretation should be the strongest and if he's done it less well/cared less about a single interpretation then his unconscious beliefs/influences are probably going to be the source of the variation from the intended meaning.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Alchenar posted:

Death of the Author is definitely a thing, but it doesn't mean that the author isn't an immense source of evidence for interpretation because if he's done his craft well then the intended interpretation should be the strongest and if he's done it less well/cared less about a single interpretation then his unconscious beliefs/influences are probably going to be the source of the variation from the intended meaning.

Yes. Rich is a very good craftsman when it comes to plot and character, and is happy to lay out the tools and show the strokes after he's done - this is really just anticipating the 'behind the scenes' essays he'll do for the printed volume of this arc (which, holy poo poo, I am buying the instant it drops).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Yes. Rich is a very good craftsman when it comes to plot and character, and is happy to lay out the tools and show the strokes after he's done - this is really just anticipating the 'behind the scenes' essays he'll do for the printed volume of this arc (which, holy poo poo, I am buying the instant it drops).

It helps that his story world is one in which he can use magic to break normal causality anytime he wants.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Yeah, Burlew's a really smart guy who's put a tremendous amount of thought into this story and I don't see anyone matching him for that any time soon. More to the point, it feels really, well, TVTropes-ish to use "Death of the Author" to argue that a fact of the plot's minutia, as opposed to its underlying significance or message, was something other than what the author intended. You really have to work against the text itself to see "Disintegrate, Gust of Wind" as fulfilling the prophecy in any way other than being four words that V said.

Raenir Salazar posted:

On the other hand as we saw with the Dragon and fake Xykon fight V can potentially lock Laurin down for at least a round with Forcecage, like with the Sorceress and Zz-maester' fights I suspect V could chain an effective strategy that forces Laurin to attrite away the remainder of her power points.

This wouldn't work here; Laurin can manifest Dimension Door as a move action so she'd be able to escape and attack in a single turn. Plus, Forcecage would be a much greater use of V's resources compared to Laurin's.

If it's really V's turn first, I'm thinking she's going to start off with a Mind Blank (to stop Laurin from stunlocking) and a Quickened spell to test her defenses (like Malack did with Durkon). After that, it's probably going to be an interesting showcase of V's development--old V would have just rained fire and lightning everywhere, heedless of the collateral damage to the airship, but new V's probably going to be more tactical. (Of course, Disintegrate is still viable either way.)

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Does V even know Mind blank? At the time, V had three epic level casters chained to V's soul.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
I'm betting on Blackwing drops the lizard, V dismisses polymorph, all hell breaks loose, myself.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
That's actually a pretty good idea as long as it's actually on the Psion when it happens.

:geno:"Oh. no. a. lizard. Is that really the best you've got?"

:smug:"Dismiss baleful polymorph"

D-whatever crushing damage

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
V's definitely more mindful of collateral damage now, and that seems like the quickest way to destroy the airship that isn't directly Belkar or Elan's fault.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Does V even know Mind blank? At the time, V had three epic level casters chained to V's soul.

Good point, I forgot it was such a high level spell. Globe of Invulnerability, maybe.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Carrasco posted:

Yeah, Burlew's a really smart guy who's put a tremendous amount of thought into this story and I don't see anyone matching him for that any time soon. More to the point, it feels really, well, TVTropes-ish to use "Death of the Author" to argue that a fact of the plot's minutia, as opposed to its underlying significance or message, was something other than what the author intended. You really have to work against the text itself to see "Disintegrate, Gust of Wind" as fulfilling the prophecy in any way other than being four words that V said.

To be fair, though, the Kubota incident really could have fulfilled the prophecy beyond the obvious four words. The right person (Kubota, even if V didn't remember him) at the right place/time (just before he could start enacting his plan to escape justice, and only in the presence of someone who wouldn't rat V out) for all the wrong reasons (just for convenience's sake, and again, without even remembering who he even was).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Carrasco posted:

You really have to work against the text itself to see "Disintegrate, Gust of Wind" as fulfilling the prophecy in any way other than being four words that V said.

While I don't disagree with you in the wider sense, I quite like those being the four words. They are the right words (they eliminate a stupid diversion) to the right person (Kubota was evil as poo poo with no redeeming qualities) for all the wrong reason (V had no idea who Kubota was and callously snuffed him out, showing how flawed his understanding of power was in a way that reflected his own weakness and lack of understanding). The action that the words represent leads directly to Darth V by estranging her from her team. And having them be spells is a witty twist (better than repeating 'I', imo, even though that had a meaning of its own).

The fact that Rich has the four words being something else is irrelevant. The prophecy works either way, which is an important structural element of the tale as a whole.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I hate that we've gone from "Tarquin gently caress yeah villain of the year every year" to "oh my god, just die already".

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

sebmojo posted:

While I don't disagree with you in the wider sense, I quite like those being the four words. They are the right words (they eliminate a stupid diversion) to the right person (Kubota was evil as poo poo with no redeeming qualities) for all the wrong reason (V had no idea who Kubota was and callously snuffed him out, showing how flawed his understanding of power was in a way that reflected his own weakness and lack of understanding). The action that the words represent leads directly to Darth V by estranging her from her team. And having them be spells is a witty twist (better than repeating 'I', imo, even though that had a meaning of its own).

The fact that Rich has the four words being something else is irrelevant. The prophecy works either way, which is an important structural element of the tale as a whole.

How does "Disintegrate, Gust of Wind" leads to V archiving ultimate arcane power?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It alienates him from his teammates, meaning he has to fly off and be by himself, so the dragon can attack and threaten his family, so the fiends have the lever they have been waiting for.

E: I'm not saying DGoW is the only answer, just that there's a plausible case to be made for it.

quote:

I hate that we've gone from "Tarquin gently caress yeah villain of the year every year" to "oh my god, just die already".

He's going to be villain of the year in retrospect, don't worry. People are just cranked up on the nauseating narrative tension of having NFI what's gonna happen next.

This has been an incredible arc.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
"Disintegrate. Gust of Wind." is where V tips over from being obsessed and alienating all of their friends and allies and just being generally unhealthy to being an outright monster. V murdered somebody and destroyed the remains simply because they were possibly an impediment to V's ends. I hate using TvTropes terms, but that's a huge step toward the moral event horizon, and it's the moment where V's brief turn toward evil rounds the first corner.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I wonder if, in ten or so years, we're start seeing real critical literary analysis of things like Order of the Stick or John Dies At The End.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

On the other hand, "I... I must succeed" is where V directly and immediately achieves ultimate arcane power.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
It's almost like prophecies are vague bullshit with debatable meanings that don't actually help you at all or something.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I really wish Rich just wrote "I. . . I must not fail" so that this discussion didn't exist.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

^^^^^ That carries a different undertone, IMO. More fear than pride.

The Leper Colon V posted:

I wonder if, in ten or so years, we're start seeing real critical literary analysis of things like Order of the Stick or John Dies At The End.

Is there even any real critical literary analysis of things lika The Invisibles or A Song of Ice and Fire? If the answer is "no", then I wouldn't hold my breath for internet comedic stories to be subjected to it any faster.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 9, 2013

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

He inadvertently created something more interesting than what he intended, that happens all the time in everything

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Leper Colon V posted:

You absolutely will. The only thing keeping people from taking webcomics all that seriously right now is that you still have a pre-Internet generation or two who aren't dead yet, and who are doing their absolute damnedest to be arbiters of culture. I've already seen people talking about OotS (John Rogers in particular) as one of the great fantasy works of our time.

Which, to be fair, says a fair bit more about our time than about fantasy or about OotS, but the point remains that it's a remarkable achievement for a stick figure comic that broadly satirizes AD&D.

NihilCredo posted:

Is there even any real critical literary analysis of things lika The Invisibles or A Song of Ice and Fire?

Well, yes.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

From the reviews and the Amazon sneak peek this doesn't seem like critical analysis, more like a companion book (author interviews, explanation of references, etc.).

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wanderer posted:

You absolutely will. The only thing keeping people from taking webcomics all that seriously right now is that you still have a pre-Internet generation or two who aren't dead yet, and who are doing their absolute damnedest to be arbiters of culture. I've already seen people talking about OotS (John Rogers in particular) as one of the great fantasy works of our time.

It's too bad about the beginning of the comic though. The first 100 strips don't really grab you and a lot of it is pretty meh if you aren't into D&D (or at least computer RPGs). Eventually the story breaks through, but starting with the "up a level, down a level" and weapon shrinkage from upgrading to a new version is only funny to RPG fans.