Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On that note, isn't the Joker officially an Arab now? I seem to recall that happening in a Death in the Family.

No. He was the Iranian ambassador to the UN.

That was an 80s as gently caress decision by DC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

On that note, isn't the Joker officially an Arab now? I seem to recall that happening in a Death in the Family.

He was made a diplomat of some kind in exchange for the arms/chemicals he dealt. It actually persisted a while because there was a Superman comic sometime in the very early '00s where the Joker busted out the diplomatic immunity card to get away since it's the type of thing that'd work on Supes.

It is very embaressing.

e: The nation he had the immunity with by then was "Qurac" so at least they changed it from Iran.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Dec 8, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I dunno, Joker being the ambassador for Kahndaq would actually sort of work.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Fuzz posted:

Kahndaq wasn't a thing at the time in DC Comics. I think Qurac was.

They still went with Iran. He was hired as the ambassador by loving Khomeini to explicitly assassinate the UN general assembly.

As good as A Death in the Family was, no one tends to remember the UN part of the story, since it happens after Jason's murder.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

happyhippy posted:

You missed the last part of this that most people miss.

She challenges you to find and protect 'an innocent man'. Later on you will hear a cop shouting 'Help me' with no police crime or such alert. Its in the top north east zone on the map if I remember correctly. Head to the building and inside is a guy hanging over electrified water you need to save.

It's marked on the map though.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just bought Arkham Asylum GOTY after realizing I have no great PS3 games. I was sort of :rolleyes: at this game because it got uncanny praise and never really looked into it, but I watch Yahtzee's review, and he liked it, so I figure it's got to be good.

Right?

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Toffile posted:

Kahndaq wasn't a thing at the time in DC Comics. I think Qurac was.

They still went with Iran. He was hired as the ambassador by loving Khomeini to explicitly assassinate the UN general assembly.

As good as A Death in the Family was, no one tends to remember the UN part of the story, since it happens after Jason's murder.

I actually think there's at least one part of the UN part that's pretty awesome. I'm referring, of course, to this part: http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/12/122925/2611761-20090811_mm8gd45m5heiq1mw7kbn68th5f.jpg

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Grump posted:

Just bought Arkham Asylum GOTY after realizing I have no great PS3 games. I was sort of :rolleyes: at this game because it got uncanny praise and never really looked into it, but I watch Yahtzee's review, and he liked it, so I figure it's got to be good.

Right?

I'd say Arkham Asylum's only flaws are

1. Boss fights are mostly dealing with a boss while also fighting the same random thugs you've beaten 100 of up to this point.
2. Lack of a postgame.
3. Once you beat it, there's no real reason to replay it unless you really like some of the story events or are trying to get certain achievements.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
For what it's worth, Arkham Asylum is the first and only game I've ever 100%ed.

I'm working on City and Origins, though.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Phylodox posted:

For what it's worth, Arkham Asylum is the first and only game I've ever 100%ed.

I'm working on City and Origins, though.

Asylum ended just in time for me to not be bored of it so I never went after the extra content, but I 100%'d the gently caress out of City. There's not much I like about the gameplay changes to Origins so between that and the bugs I don't think I'll ever get around to doing 100% in that.
It's been years since I played Asylum though so maybe I should try playing through it again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I happily 100%ed both Asylum and City and then did it all over again when GFWL got stripped out and was replaced for free by Steam with the GOTY editions. But for whatever reason my Origins game is stuck on 99% despite doing everything, plus they threw in multiplayer achievements so I will never be able to get 100% of the achievements, which is rather annoying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Grump posted:

Right?

Arkham Asylum is seriously just one of the best games this generation. not "good for a licensed game" but flat out legitimately a good game. You'll probably like it.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Grump posted:

Right?
Nah, the uncanny praise was because it was terrible, duh.

Asylum is one of my favorite games, period, and have played it a few times, as there really is nothing more fun than wrecking hundreds of dudes as Batman.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

raditts posted:

Asylum ended just in time for me to not be bored of it so I never went after the extra content, but I 100%'d the gently caress out of City. There's not much I like about the gameplay changes to Origins so between that and the bugs I don't think I'll ever get around to doing 100% in that.
It's been years since I played Asylum though so maybe I should try playing through it again.
I must've 100%'d Asylum at least twice, first time with the regular version, then when I bought the GOTY on Steam. I might do it again since they added steam achievements. City though is so loving packed, I almost actually got close, like 93% or so but I got hosed over by save file corruption in the GFWL days so I just gave up, but you know, maybe now's the time. Maybe I'll even do Robin/Nightwing/Catwoman 100% too! :suicide:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Sober posted:

I must've 100%'d Asylum at least twice, first time with the regular version, then when I bought the GOTY on Steam. I might do it again since they added steam achievements. City though is so loving packed, I almost actually got close, like 93% or so but I got hosed over by save file corruption in the GFWL days so I just gave up, but you know, maybe now's the time. Maybe I'll even do Robin/Nightwing/Catwoman 100% too! :suicide:

I tried to 100% Catwoman but the extreme predator campaigns were so infuriating that I quit with one or two left to go. I think I did all the others though.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

raditts posted:

I tried to 100% Catwoman but the extreme predator campaigns were so infuriating that I quit with one or two left to go. I think I did all the others though.

I did them all but thank gently caress they transferred over with my save to the GOTY edition - a few of the medals seemed to be lost for some reason but the achievements still registered, and I wasn't going to redo the ones I "missed" since my savegame was still listed as 100%.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

raditts posted:

Usually the Catwoman medals themselves aren't too demanding unlike some of the more ridiculous Bat medals (switch hitter:argh:). It really just comes down to being able to take out heaps of armored guys safely. Anything that knocks down an armored dude can be followed up by a ground and pound for a quick KO, while her whipped up takedown is extremely exploitable if you can just find a ceiling that she can climb on that's also beneath a ledge people can walk on.

The top of the world one was a poo poo map though I agree since she has nothing but bolus noises to lure guys into the situations needed for the medals.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fuzz posted:

I think Black Adam would rather punch a hole in him (And he would do that.)

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
So I just finished the game and am looking to knock out the extra junk, but I'm curious if there are any awesome skins available for some visual variety while I'm running through the challenge rooms? So far I've got New 52 and Noel, and while I know there's more available for purchase i'm not sure I want to dump more money on this game (though knowing me I'll probably just buy thesSeason Pass in a few weeks anyway.)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HaitianDivorce posted:

So I just finished the game and am looking to knock out the extra junk, but I'm curious if there are any awesome skins available for some visual variety while I'm running through the challenge rooms? So far I've got New 52 and Noel, and while I know there's more available for purchase i'm not sure I want to dump more money on this game (though knowing me I'll probably just buy thesSeason Pass in a few weeks anyway.)

There are a couple of skins that unlock for doing certain things in the game (or in the challenges/training simulator). Get all medals in the training simulator and you unlock the costume from the Injustice games. Complete all the Dark Knight Challenges in-game and get the Dark Knight costume (the default costume but black). I believe everything else either requires you to do multiplayer or to have bought the season pass.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

There are a couple of skins that unlock for doing certain things in the game (or in the challenges/training simulator). Get all medals in the training simulator and you unlock the costume from the Injustice games. Complete all the Dark Knight Challenges in-game and get the Dark Knight costume (the default costume but black). I believe everything else either requires you to do multiplayer or to have bought the season pass.

Bah, that's disappointing. The Worst Nightmare one is still removed, right? Looks like I'll either be doing something productive with my time or shelling out $15. :(

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So is that really it with the Penguin plotline? I was expecting some closure from it like there is with the Black Mask plot but it just ends.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

So is that really it with the Penguin plotline? I was expecting some closure from it like there is with the Black Mask plot but it just ends.

There is kinda more in the Barbara Gordon side-mission where you go around destroying the locks on the weapons shipments I guess, but otherwise nope - that character doesn't make an appearance again for the rest of the game.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Jerusalem posted:

There is kinda more in the Barbara Gordon side-mission where you go around destroying the locks on the weapons shipments I guess, but otherwise nope - that character doesn't make an appearance again for the rest of the game.

Maybe its DLC. I kind of find it weird that they went through the time and trouble to develop several characters that are barely used in the game.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I agree with you, it seemed like he left on a win so I figured there's no way Bats would stand for that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Pretty sure they're setting up both Penguin and Riddler for DLC story content. Both of their stories just kind of fizzle out with a "Welp, guess that's all I can do for now!"

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Well it's a lot to get done in one night. But Bats can help Penguin celebrate December 26th. "Happy Boxing Day you limey scum". *punch*

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Honestly, I was really hoping we'd see how Penguin got that bottle jammed over his eye in this game. Hopefully some DLC shows it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fuzz posted:

Honestly, I was really hoping we'd see how Penguin got that bottle jammed over his eye in this game. Hopefully some DLC shows it.

Totally, they explain it in City but it'd be much cooler if they'd actually show Joker breaking off a bottle and stabbing it into Penguin's eye.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

CharlestonJew posted:

Totally, they explain it in City but it'd be much cooler if they'd actually show Joker breaking off a bottle and stabbing it into Penguin's eye.

It wasn't him that did it. Penguin already stated that he cut out the guilty party's eyes and threw him onto a freeway to die.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Jerusalem posted:

I kind of suspect that the creators really liked the guy who played the Penguin and wanted to get him back, even though there wasn't much point. I just don't accept Batman gave up chasing him because he locked the door. I suppose you could argue he had bigger problems, but I'd think he would follow up in the post-game.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

I kind of suspect that the creators really liked the guy who played the Penguin and wanted to get him back, even though there wasn't much point. I just don't accept Batman gave up chasing him because he locked the door. I suppose you could argue he had bigger problems, but I'd think he would follow up in the post-game.
The whole game was just an elaborate gambit between Batman and Penguin to set up a threesome for Oswald.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Dec 9, 2013

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Jurgan posted:

Well who doesn't like Nolan North?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I really like his Penguin voice, and it would be nice to see him get a bigger part ala City in the next game. Here's hoping that they can give Joker a rest THIS TIME and give the likes of Penguin and Two-Face a chance to shine.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Arkham 4 will feature Hush as the main villain, only for Joker to claw his way out of hell just to strangle him to death and make Batman pay attention to him again.

The sad part is, I could honestly see something like that happening. Somehow. :smith:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Arkham 4 will feature Hush as the main villain, only for Joker to claw his way out of hell just to strangle him to death and make Batman pay attention to him again.

The sad part is, I could honestly see something like that happening. Somehow. :smith:

Joker died in the city that has been shown to have resurrection goop in it, with at least 2 resurrection devices. Joker will be back, I just hope to hell not any time soon.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
While most of the game has been a plain retread of Arkham City, if there's one thing I'm actually impressed about in Origins, it's how good Troy Baker's Joker voice is. I was initially really skeptical when I heard about it since the dude has already starred in like three AAA titles this year, but he's a shockingly good replacement for Hamill.

I still don't like Roger Craig Smith's Batman though, it just sounds like every other gruff role he's done.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

One thing Arkham Origins confused me about was the fact that Black Mask seems to be Batman's oldest rogue, yet he has no presence whatsoever in the other games.

Heck, he barely has any presence in this game.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

One thing Arkham Origins confused me about was the fact that Black Mask seems to be Batman's oldest rogue, yet he has no presence whatsoever in the other games.

Heck, he barely has any presence in this game.

He shows up in city, it's pretty blink and you'll miss it though. Right at the beggining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ShineDog posted:

He shows up in city, it's pretty blink and you'll miss it though. Right at the beggining.
Getting smacked around like a baby :allears:

edit: There wouldn't really be reason for him to be in B:AA, anyway, since Sionis isn't the type to be sent to an insane asylum for treatment (same with the Penguin). But as I type this, I remember that a bunch of Blackgate prisoners were sent to Arkham as part of Joker's plan, so BM could have shown up that way, if it came to that.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 9, 2013

• Locked thread