Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

I'm getting some christmas shopping done here and looking to upgrade my parents TV for them. Initially my thought was to get a computer to put under the TV to act as a media center, but the TV they currently have doesn't have any HDMI ports (it's a ten year old rear projection TV). How much difference does 120hz vs 60hz make for viewing a bit of sports on cable (eventually probably just going to be shifting over to streaming gamecenter or something along those lines. Options where I am are quite limited, and the price of a 46+ inch 120hz TV is stretching my budget a bit, but I see theres a few 60 hz or Plasma screens 50+ that I could buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Local store got an OLED samsung in. It is worthy of the hype.

Black levels are just, as good as possible.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

Local store got an OLED samsung in. It is worthy of the hype.

Black levels are just, as good as possible.
And then the picture turns yellow in 6 months when the blue OLEDs start to wear out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

And then the picture turns yellow in 6 months when the blue OLEDs start to wear out.

But for those 6 months... glorious

They also had the $40,000 samsung 4k setup and its as retarded as it looks in photos.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 6, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Don Lapre posted:

But for those 6 months... glorious

They also had the $40,000 samsung 8k setup and its as retarded as it looks in photos.

Is that a 4:3 picture on an 8k TV? :psyduck:

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Is that a 4:3 picture on an 8k TV? :psyduck:

The samsung 8k demo reel has it, it expands out to 16x9. I jsut took a photo at the wrong time.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Don Lapre posted:

They also had the $40,000 samsung 8k setup and its as retarded as it looks in photos.

HDMI 2.0 can only do 4K@60Hz. Was it hooked up to something special or was it running at 15Hz?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

HDMI 2.0 can only do 4K@60Hz. Was it hooked up to something special or was it running at 15Hz?

Dunno, Its the same demo that bestbuy uses on their UHD tv's. Guessing same hardware. Probably 4k@30hz

blargle
Apr 3, 2007
I've got an HTPC and don't care about smart TV, is it possible to buy a dumb TV with a high end display? Or are the good displays always bundled with smart TV features?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

blargle posted:

I've got an HTPC and don't care about smart TV, is it possible to buy a dumb TV with a high end display? Or are the good displays always bundled with smart TV features?

You arnt paying extra for the smart TV stuff. Just ignore its existence.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

blargle posted:

Smart TV features cost like 2 bucks a unit. For decent manufacturers putting them in everything is usually cheaper than sometimes not putting them in.

Also crappy sets sometimes come with smart features.

Basically there's no relation between quality and 'smart', so unless it's intrusive (and rest assured, people will bring up if it's intrusive) or you're actually after smart features it's literally not worth thinking about.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I have a Pioneer Kuro (50") Plasma at home...bought it years ago when it was the best possible TV out. Hell, by today's standards, it's still pretty much incredible. Blacker than black blacks and overall a very crisp picture. It uses hella power though and gets real hot (plasma, I guess).

We have space for exactly a 60" TV in the cutout above our fireplace...and are considering upgrading to a larger, more efficient set.

Budget is under $1,500. What's the best 60" out today? Samsung?

Or should I shut up and keep my beloved Kuro, arguably the best Plasma ever produced?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

hotsauce posted:

I have a Pioneer Kuro (50") Plasma at home...bought it years ago when it was the best possible TV out. Hell, by today's standards, it's still pretty much incredible. Blacker than black blacks and overall a very crisp picture. It uses hella power though and gets real hot (plasma, I guess).

We have space for exactly a 60" TV in the cutout above our fireplace...and are considering upgrading to a larger, more efficient set.

Budget is under $1,500. What's the best 60" out today? Samsung?

Or should I shut up and keep my beloved Kuro, arguably the best Plasma ever produced?

The Panasonic 60ST60 is $1499 on Amazon, and is hands down the best quality for the buck, though the input lag for gaming is on the noticeable end.
If you plan on using it for gaming, Samsung has the 60F5500 for $1,197 ( almost get a PS4 with the savings :dance: ). It's basically last year's 7 series for the price of a mid-range. Lots of bells and whistles.

Energy-wise they've improved greatly in efficiency and image retention. It's almost impossible to get permanent burn unless you work at it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Mister Macys posted:

The Panasonic 60ST60 is $1499 on Amazon
Thanks for the suggestion. We measured the opening again and sadly, the 60" Panasonic won't fit. Our MAX width is 54.5 inches. That leaves us with the ability to only get the 55" Panasonic Plasma.

We could, however, barely fit the Samsung UN60F6300 60-Inch, as it's 54.2 inches wide. Like, barely.

Reviews seem good on the Samsung, but alas we're not sure if we want to go away from Plasma. It's so...beautiful.

Decisions.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
If you can find a slightly better price, you could go with the VT-60: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BC4SJEC/

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

cbirdsong posted:

If you can find a slightly better price, you could go with the VT-60: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BC4SJEC/

That's exactly the one we are now looking at. It seems to be a bit better than it's cheaper sibling. I may be able to hawk my Kuro locally for ~$400 or so, which would cover the premium cost of this one.

Looks like Panasonic is the next to drop out of the Plasma market, so now's the time to buy. Thanks everyone!

Edit: ordered. $1200 after Amazon visa points. Good stuff.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 9, 2013

aerique
Jul 16, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

You arnt paying extra for the smart TV stuff. Just ignore its existence.

Do the features ever interfere by f.e. making it annoyingly slow to switch channels? Or is that also a relic of the past?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

hotsauce posted:

That's exactly the one we are now looking at. It seems to be a bit better than it's cheaper sibling. I may be able to hawk my Kuro locally for ~$400 or so, which would cover the premium cost of this one.

Looks like Panasonic is the next to drop out of the Plasma market, so now's the time to buy. Thanks everyone!

Edit: ordered. $1200 after Amazon visa points. Good stuff.

You don't live anywhere near Wisconsin do you?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

aerique posted:

Do the features ever interfere by f.e. making it annoyingly slow to switch channels? Or is that also a relic of the past?

If you're buying high end, it has enough horsepower that it's not a problem.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Residency Evil posted:

You don't live anywhere near Wisconsin do you?

Sure don't. Going to keep the Kuro I guess. Will be assigned basement man-cave sports duty.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
A few potentially dumb questions here, but I'm just starting to look into a new TV after years away from the market, so please humor me:

Is there any way to determine if a HDTV has overscan before using it? Or is it mostly eliminated with modern 1080p displays? My roommate's 2006-vintage plasma has some pretty awful overscan, but it's a 1366x768 panel (and only 'supports' up to 1080i). Meanwhile my 1080p LCD has zero overscan, which is pretty nice for plugging into my computer and for gaming in general.

Do all modern sets supports ARC? I'd assume 'yes', but looking at photos, the only ones that explicitly label 'ARC' by the HDMI inputs are Vizios. Not a dealbreaker but it'd be nice for when I upgrade my receiver.

Is there any point to getting a 120Hz TV if I abhor the motion interpolation effect? I'd kind of written them off for that reason but if there's overall reduction in judder even with interpolation off I'd potentially be interested.

Anything 'wrong' with Toshiba's present offerings? My current TV is a 32" Toshiba that's been rock solid for 5+ years so I'm inclined to stick with them, but I've heard Samsungs generally have the best panels (though they're on the higher end of my price range).

And finally - I'm sure this gets asked a lot, but I didn't see it in the OP or the current page, so here goes - is there a 'best' time of year to buy sets? I probably wasn't pulling the trigger until spring, which I figured would be a decent time as the 2013 models would start getting discounts, but if pre-Superbowl truly is the best time to buy I could be talked into it a bit earlier.

Sorry for diving in with so many questions, but as mentioned I haven't really researched TVs in-depth for over five years now. Thanks for any help!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Space Racist posted:

A few potentially dumb questions here, but I'm just starting to look into a new TV after years away from the market, so please humor me:

Is there any way to determine if a HDTV has overscan before using it? Or is it mostly eliminated with modern 1080p displays? My roommate's 2006-vintage plasma has some pretty awful overscan, but it's a 1366x768 panel (and only 'supports' up to 1080i). Meanwhile my 1080p LCD has zero overscan, which is pretty nice for plugging into my computer and for gaming in general.

Google whether or not you can disable overscan. It might be called "dot for dot" mode or "full pixel" or something else. Most TVs have a way to disable overscan, if only on certain inputs.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003

Space Racist posted:

Is there any point to getting a 120Hz TV if I abhor the motion interpolation effect? I'd kind of written them off for that reason but if there's overall reduction in judder even with interpolation off I'd potentially be interested.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but a 120 Hz panel can display 24 fps film content without 3:2 pulldown and associated juddering, while a 60 Hz panel cannot.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ChineseBuffet posted:

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but a 120 Hz panel can display 24 fps film content without 3:2 pulldown and associated juddering, while a 60 Hz panel cannot.

It can, but you'll have to make sure that you check documentation of TVs ahead of time to make sure that they:

a) Accept 24fps input
b) Can do the correct 5:5 pulldown WITHOUT using motion interpolation so you can get the right film effect.

Some TVs only allow 120hz mode with all the motion smoothing turned on and don't actually handle 24fps material properly.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

bull3964 posted:

It can, but you'll have to make sure that you check documentation of TVs ahead of time to make sure that they:

a) Accept 24fps input
b) Can do the correct 5:5 pulldown WITHOUT using motion interpolation so you can get the right film effect.

Some TVs only allow 120hz mode with all the motion smoothing turned on and don't actually handle 24fps material properly.

120hz tv's dont have a 120hz mode. The lcd always runs at 120hz.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Thanks guys. From what I can tell, for my usage pattern, 120 Hz wouldn't really be worth the extra money (and gently caress motion smoothing).

Also, if anyone was curious, ARC only seems to exist on Sony, Samsung and Panasonic sets. Not a big deal but it saves a little cable clutter.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Space Racist posted:

Thanks guys. From what I can tell, for my usage pattern, 120 Hz wouldn't really be worth the extra money (and gently caress motion smoothing).

Also, if anyone was curious, ARC only seems to exist on Sony, Samsung and Panasonic sets. Not a big deal but it saves a little cable clutter.

120hz does not mean motion smoothing.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Don Lapre posted:

120hz tv's dont have a 120hz mode. The lcd always runs at 120hz.

It still doesn't mean they handle 24fps input correctly. Believe it or not, some cheap ones STILL do a 3:2 pulldown before converting to the native refresh rate. Not all of them actually do a correct 5:5 pulldown of 24fps source.

But yes, I shouldn't have said 120hz "mode." Perhaps I should have said 5:5 mode without motion interp. Some TVs require some form of motion smoothing in order to enable 5:5 pulldown on 24fps input.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Dec 11, 2013

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Don Lapre posted:

120hz does not mean motion smoothing.

I know, just that I don't think I care enough about de-juddering blu-rays to spring the extra cash over a 60 Hz set.

That said...

bull3964 posted:

It still doesn't mean they handle 24fps input correctly. Believe it or not, some cheap ones STILL do a 3:2 pulldown before converting to the native refresh rate. Not all of them actually do a correct 5:5 pulldown of 24fps source.

Is there any confirmed list of 5:5 pulldown capable sets? All the ones I've seen toot the 120 Hz specification, but nothing about pulldown for 24 fps content.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He probably means those fake ClearMotion/TruMotion/etc. stuff where it's actually a 60Hz panel faking it with backlight blinking.

A true 120Hz+ TV should be able to do it. It's usually mentioned on product pages for TVs.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Not sure if I should be asking this somewhere else,but here we go.

Does anyone know if there is a trustworthy US site that does prescription 3d glasses similar to http://www.optics3d.co.uk/?/tracking=51b8d679c2294 My google skills are failing me and mostly leading me to clip on's or more tv's.

I'd really love it if I could send in my old frames and get them to my current prescription but in RealD polarization. I tried clipons but the posts are too distracting. And I get a massive headache when I add more weight to the bridge of my nose. So wearing two pairs (cocoons or otherwise) is out.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Dec 11, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Space Racist posted:

The cheap-o $70 Insignia set I bought for Black Friday has it, maybe just not well advertised?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm looking for a decent 60" television. LED or plasma, but I watch a lot of sports so I'll probably prefer LED? My price range is between $1500-1800.

Things I can about: Black levels, input lag. While I'm planning on buying a home theatre system, it won't be for awhile so not having terrible audio would be a plus.

Things I don't care about: 3D, Smart features, 4k, ARC.

Any help would be appreciated.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Maneki Neko posted:

The cheap-o $70 Insignia set I bought for Black Friday has it, maybe just not well advertised?

Yeah, it is on other models (higher end Toshibas, for example) just that no one advertises it and it's a tiny label by the hdmi port if it is there.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

CubanMissile posted:

I'm looking for a decent 60" television. LED or plasma, but I watch a lot of sports so I'll probably prefer LED? My price range is between $1500-1800.

Things I can about : Black levels, input lag. While I'm planning on buying a home theatre system, it won't be for awhile so not having terrible audio would be a plus.

Things I don't care about : 3D, Smart features, 4k, ARC.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009H8JOZS/

28ms input lag which is the lowest of all brands in that size (other than a couple $3k Sonys).

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

The Joe Man posted:

28ms input lag which is the lowest of all brands in that size (other than a couple $3k Sonys).

If you have a Sony outlet nearby, the 900A is dropping in price everytime I went in there. It's around $1800 now I believe, but I think that may only be the 55 inch. It pretty much has the best input lag numbers I've seen.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I decided to jump on an online sale of a 50" tv. Having previously never owned my own flat screen tv, I didn't appreciate how large a 50" tv is. I may have overdone it for my apartment size. :smith:

(Tv has a nice picture though.)

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

The Joe Man posted:

Yes, I was looking at this model and the Sony KDL-60R550A. How is Vizio's quality control these days? The reason I ask is because I work in a bar with 22 televisions, all Vizios, and it seems like we have to replace one of them every six months. My girlfriend's roommate also had a Vizio and I remember hooking a laptop to it via DVI was a nightmare because you would have to do all this chicanery with custom resolutions and refresh rates on the laptop just to get it to display at all.

Quality control is pretty important to me at this point. I'm replacing a Mitsubishi DLP, the worst home theater decision I ever made, and the amount of trouble I had with that set was profound. I've had to replace bulbs, light engines, DLP chips, everything. I just don't want to buy something and have it die on me in a year and a half.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

CubanMissile posted:

How is Vizio's quality control these days?

Curious about this too, I've heard a lot of good things about Vizio lately but they'd always struck me as a cheap brand before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

El Scotch posted:

I decided to jump on an online sale of a 50" tv. Having previously never owned my own flat screen tv, I didn't appreciate how large a 50" tv is. I may have overdone it for my apartment size. :smith:

(Tv has a nice picture though.)

This?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889623018