Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

b0nes posted:

Sorry should have mentioned im on T-Mobile. When I went to a T-Mobile store they said that they didn't carry prepaid SIM cards in stock and I would have to order online.

You got duped. There is zero difference between a "prepaid" and "postpaid" SIM. They are the exact same thing. A little card.

Go to a different store or ask for a manger. They pulled the wool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleJesus
Feb 27, 2008

We all change. When you think about it, we're all different people all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you gotta keep moving.
Just got my Republic Wireless Moto X and am absolutely loving it so far. Turns out Sprint is decent enough if you're only looking to use it for calls and texts.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

PurpleJesus posted:

Just got my Republic Wireless Moto X and am absolutely loving it so far. Turns out Sprint is decent enough if you're only looking to use it for calls and texts.

This is very true. However, there are a few (emphasis on few) that have good data transfer speeds on sprint, i think Atlanta is one of them. Depends on which ones got network vision upgrades yet.

Allaniis
Jan 22, 2011

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422794080"]
FYI, any T-Mobile sim card is free online, or at least was when I ordered mine on Tuesday.
It's currently free, but it's a sale. Usually, they go for $10 online with random $1 sales every other month.

Feel free to stock up, but they limit you to 2 per purchase order and 4 SIMS every two months or something to that effect.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

A few of my friends are finally switching to Straight Talk and having MMS issues. No APN settings work. This seems to be a common issue on the net, as well... anyone know of decent solutions?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Complaints about GoPhone speed/connection

Update:

For anyone that cares (or who is thinking about GoPhone,) I did some searching and the problem was with the APN. Even though it's the one they tell you to use/have you set up in the AT&T store, it's terrible. It does NOT allow you to connect to LTE, despite GoPhone being advertised as having LTE speeds. And on top of that, it possibly limits your H+ connection to less than 2 Mbps...it certainly seemed to be doing that for me. I was out with a couple coworkers last night, and I was flip flopping between no data connection at all, and really slow H+, while two other people also with AT&T were getting great LTE speeds.

I changed to a better APN described here:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1799376-Gophone-with-LTE-Speeds!!!!-My-experience/page3

Now I get both faster H+ (around 5 Mbps,) and LTE (it averaged ~ 9Mbps, but it peaked at 14 Mbps, and I only had one bar of LTE.)

Seems like it would be some sort of false advertising on the part of AT&T to say that GoPhone users can use their LTE service, but then deliberately cripple their connection by giving them bad settings that 90% of users will never know about/think to change.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Just got my friends GS4 that I'm going to activate as a BYOD on T-Mobile prepaid. They left the SIM card in the phone so I took it to a tmobile retail store to see if they could activate it tonight (I haven't received my starter kit in the mail yet and don't have the activation code to do it online.)

I explained to the guy at the store what I wanted to do, and he said the 100 minutes/unlimited texting/5 GB plan for $30/month is only available on phones purchased from Walmart. Has anyone else run into this or did I just get someone who wanted to sell me a post-paid plan (which is what he suggested)?

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Geoj posted:

Just got my friends GS4 that I'm going to activate as a BYOD on T-Mobile prepaid. They left the SIM card in the phone so I took it to a tmobile retail store to see if they could activate it tonight (I haven't received my starter kit in the mail yet and don't have the activation code to do it online.)

I explained to the guy at the store what I wanted to do, and he said the 100 minutes/unlimited texting/5 GB plan for $30/month is only available on phones purchased from Walmart. Has anyone else run into this or did I just get someone who wanted to sell me a post-paid plan (which is what he suggested)?

You have to buy the time cards at Wal-mart. I think you can use any sim card though?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Geoj posted:

It's Walmart or online only and not available in T-Mobile stores. I just did it online.

You sign up for a new account and under plans it will show the $30/100min/5gig deal. Make sure you don't pick the other $30 deal that's for 1500minute/30meg because you can't ever change it back. You'll need your starter kit/code obviously.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 8, 2013

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Geoj posted:

Your starter kit includes the code needed to get it activated. So you can't do it early.
Use the SIM in the activation kit. Might as well.
Activate online. Stores can't activate that plan, but online can. If you have issues you can call.

Employees always want you on a post-paid plan. But assume ignorance rather than malice until you can prove otherwise. The details on the $30/100/5GB plan aren't well known or spoken of outside of forums like this (or walmart stores, probably).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Allaniis posted:

It's currently free, but it's a sale. Usually, they go for $10 online with random $1 sales every other month.

Feel free to stock up, but they limit you to 2 per purchase order and 4 SIMS every two months or something to that effect.

The one I ordered last month has an "activate by" date on it, so I don't think you can stock up.

e: I want to port my ST number over to T-Mobile. What do I put in for my "current account number" and "PIN/password on current account"? I can't find an account number on the ST website and I don't know which password they are asking for.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 8, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The one I ordered last month has an "activate by" date on it, so I don't think you can stock up.

e: I want to port my ST number over to T-Mobile. What do I put in for my "current account number" and "PIN/password on current account"? I can't find an account number on the ST website and I don't know which password they are asking for.

Search posts by me in here, I posted about it awhile ago but can't remember off hand. Your SIM card number is the account number if I recall.

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

Geoj posted:

You can use any phone you want that T-Mobile supports. I've used that plan on my Nexus 5.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I have Straight Talk on my Nexus 5, the $45 unlimited plan, and I'm not able to get MMS messages in hangouts. I tap on them to download them but it just has the loading animation and nothing happens. Anyone know what could be causing this?

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

feedmyleg posted:

I have Straight Talk on my Nexus 5, the $45 unlimited plan, and I'm not able to get MMS messages in hangouts. I tap on them to download them but it just has the loading animation and nothing happens. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Sounds like an APN problem. My brother has a similar issue with his N4 on AIO. Nothing I do seems to fix it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to tell what service (at&t vs tmobile or straighttalk) would work better in a given area?

I am on virgin mobile at the moment, and while the phone service is pretty good, the data service is pretty terrible. I'm seriously thinking of moving to another network, but have no idea which one to roll with.

The coverage maps all look the same, so no idea why I have pooptastic data service.

Also, if someone could recommend a good android phone to use, I'd appreciate it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Dec 9, 2013

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Is there any way to tell what service (at&t vs tmobile or straighttalk) would work better in a given area?

I am on virgin mobile at the moment, and while the phone service is pretty good, the data service is pretty terrible. I'm seriously thinking of moving to another network, but have no idea which one to roll with.

The coverage maps all look the same, so no idea why I have pooptastic data service.

Also, if someone could recommend a good android phone to use, I'd appreciate it.

Where are you located? If the coverage maps don't help, then ask around for at&t or Tmo subscribers and ask their opinion of coverage. Straight Talk actually uses both at&t towers and Tmo towers (depending on the SIM you choose).

Good android phone
Moto G $199
Nexus 5 $349

Dradien
Jun 24, 2005
Ask me about shrimp.

feedmyleg posted:

My wife and I both have this problem. We both have a Nexus 5, and the same plan as you. I've read online that it fixes itself the first month your billing cycle ticks over.

Not really hopeful (or helpful) , but it's something I guess. If it doesn't work, I'll just gently caress around with different APNs or call, but if I get it to work somehow, I'll report back here.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

In a highly general sense it's going to be ATT in most places. If you're in a coastal/major urban center (coastal cities +chicago, denver, etc) then T-Mobile will probably be comparable, but probably faster.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

The Entire Universe posted:

In a highly general sense it's going to be ATT in most places. If you're in a coastal/major urban center (coastal cities +chicago, denver, etc) then T-Mobile will probably be comparable, but probably faster.

At least with an N5 and att straight talk Sim LTE is available if you're in an LTE area. So that's a plus.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Nah, small town in Louisiana. Right between Baton Rouge and New Orleans.

Thinking T-Mobile might be the way to go (I dig the 30$ plan, cause I am cheap), but I'd like to get a phone that does 4g since it's apparently available in my area.

What's the go to AT&T plan that is best/most cost effective?

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I've been using the tmobile $30 plan with my nexus 5 for about a week and its awesome. I'm in the south bay area of San Francisco/San Jose and the speed and coverage is miles beyond my old provider, sprint. I get LTE most places and even when I don't get LTE the "3g" is still faster than sprint's LTE. And only $30 a month, you can't beat it!

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/668716077

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 9, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

SB35 posted:

If the coverage maps don't help, then ask around for at&t or Tmo subscribers and ask their opinion of coverage.

Word of warning on coverage maps; take them with a huge grain of salt. Carriers tend to draw them using the most liberal of estimates (and if you read the wall of text fine print at the bottom of the page they're just that - estimates) - according to Verizon's coverage map I should have strong signal at home with LTE coverage, but in reality I have to walk out to the end of my driveway to make a voice call and I might get 1X for data connectivity depending on magnetosphere conditions and what direction the wind is coming from. And I live in the fifth largest city in my state so its not like I live in the middle of nowhere.

I'd definitely ask around.

r0ck0 posted:

I get LTE most places and even when I don't get LTE the "3g" is still faster than sprint's LTE. And only $30 a month, you can't beat it!

Are you actually on 3G or their non-LTE "4G" network (which is actually 3G HSDPA+)?

I know Sprint is bad but I didn't think they were that bad...

Geoj fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Dec 9, 2013

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Geoj posted:

Word of warning on coverage maps; take them with a huge grain of salt. Carriers tend to draw them using the most liberal of estimates (and if you read the wall of text fine print at the bottom of the page they're just that - estimates) - according to Verizon's coverage map I should have strong signal at home with LTE coverage, but in reality I have to walk out to the end of my driveway to make a voice call and I might get 1X for data connectivity depending on magnetosphere conditions and what direction the wind is coming from. And I live in the fifth largest city in my state so its not like I live in the middle of nowhere.

Are you actually on 3G or their non-LTE "4G" network (which is actually 3G HSDPA+)?

The N5 indicates whether you're on HSPA or LTE.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

Geoj posted:

I was referring to Tmobile. That's why I put 3g in quotes. You know it's 3g but they call it 4g. Sprint is either LTE or 3g and it sucks either way. tmobile's 3g is faster than sprint's LTE.

Sprint sucks...

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 9, 2013

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Geoj posted:

Up around Seattle, I get better speeds in the few areas where T-Mobile's service drops to EDGE than I did on Sprint's LTE. Sprint's service was tolerable for a while here, but it got really bad over the last year as they've started doing upgrades and just abandoned them.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Geoj posted:

GS4 activate as a BYOD on T-Mobile prepaid

So I got my activation kit today and went online to set it up. Everything went fine until I got to the final page to set up funding for my account, filled in my data and clicked continue - the website gave me an error that I didn't select an autopay calendar date, yet there was no form on the website to select a date from - apparently this has been a problem with their website since 2010 based on posts on T-Mobile's support forum.

Had to call customer support and got bounced around between support and billing for the better part of an hour, finally talked to someone who knew what the gently caress and they were able to confirm everything went through online and they just needed to take my payment information over the phone for my first months' service :toot:

Last issue - since I'm porting a number my service will not start until the port goes through, 24-72 hours from now. Has anyone else experienced this? I was expecting a temporary number so the phone would work until the port went through, but I guess being on prepaid doesn't give you that option...? The friend I bought the phone from said his number porting went through in about three hours so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will go through sometime tonight.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 10, 2013

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Geoj posted:

So I got my activation kit today and went online to set it up. Everything went fine until I got to the final page to set up funding for my account, filled in my data and clicked continue - the website gave me an error that I didn't select an autopay calendar date, yet there was no form on the website to select a date from - apparently this has been a problem with their website since 2010 based on posts on T-Mobile's support forum.

I just helped a friend sign up for t-mobile prepaid recently and experienced the exact same issues. But instead of trying to subject myself to phone hell I just kept refreshing/reentering my information using various web browsers until it finally worked. The prepaid setup process is completely broken, just have you muscle your way through it, I eventually got it to work.

Cawd Rud
Mar 12, 2009
Salad Prong
Had the same issue when I signed up a few weeks ago. Tried it again in Firefox (I was using Chrome), and it worked fine. I ported my number as well, and once I gave them the correct porting info, it went through in less than a minute.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Anyone on AIO Wireless (specifically in Omaha) just lose all cellular signal right now?

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Geoj posted:

Had to call customer support and got bounced around between support and billing for the better part of an hour, finally talked to someone who knew what the gently caress and they were able to confirm everything went through online and they just needed to take my payment information over the phone for my first months' service :toot:

Last issue - since I'm porting a number my service will not start until the port goes through, 24-72 hours from now. Has anyone else experienced this? I was expecting a temporary number so the phone would work until the port went through, but I guess being on prepaid doesn't give you that option...? The friend I bought the phone from said his number porting went through in about three hours so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will go through sometime tonight.

Your port will probably go through tomorrow morning. I had a similar deal, waited all night and then boom 8am est and it was done.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

ThermoPhysical posted:

Anyone on AIO Wireless (specifically in Omaha) just lose all cellular signal right now?

They are reporting an outage on their facebook. My cell service works fine it seems, but all texts are down. I'm in Mississippi.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Dec 10, 2013

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
When does refillimobi.net normally get new cards in stock?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

SB35 posted:

Search posts by me in here, I posted about it awhile ago but can't remember off hand. Your SIM card number is the account number if I recall.

Went back to page 85 or so and didn't find anything and I think I already passed your posts where you talked about porting over from ST already.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Is it possible to start a T-mobile prepaid account now then port my number over to it in a month or so?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Toilet Clam posted:

Is it possible to start a T-mobile prepaid account now then port my number over to it in a month or so?

Yeah, but you have to call and it might take a bit to find someone who can help you. I posted the number I called somewhere in this thread a year ago or so.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
OTOH if you need uninterrupted service that might be the only way to do it; if you port with new service your phone doesn't work until the port goes through. I'm now on day two of waiting for my wife's number to go through on her phone. So far T-Mobile's customer support isn't inspiring much confidence on my end...

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Geoj posted:

OTOH if you need uninterrupted service that might be the only way to do it; if you port with new service your phone doesn't work until the port goes through. I'm now on day two of waiting for my wife's number to go through on her phone. So far T-Mobile's customer support isn't inspiring much confidence on my end...

Just depends on who you're porting from and if you supplied the correct info automated systems can use to immediately port you.

Both my port I did a year ago and more recently a port for my friend I did on a sunday night took effect almost immediately... service worked on the phones with service active on both phones, and fully moving over finished in less than 12 hours.

I came from AT&T and he came from Sprint.

ymmv!

SB35
Jul 6, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Went back to page 85 or so and didn't find anything and I think I already passed your posts where you talked about porting over from ST already.

Here's what I was talking about. Sorry I didn't link it before, tough to do on the phone.

SB35 posted:

ThermoPhysical posted:

Right now, no one knows what you need to port over your Net10/Straight Talk number since TracFone is known to refuse giving up their numbers. AIO needs your account number, Net10/ST won't give it up and claims it's your actual phone number when it isn't.

Some guy on Howardforums.com posted:

Perhaps you didn't provide the right account # and pin?
The account # is the serial # listed on the Straight Talk my account section.
The pin # is the 5 digit security pin you created on the Straight Talk my account section.

Looks like this might be for CDMA phones.

Whereas the last 15 digits on your SIM card might be your account number for those on the BYOP plans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Geoj posted:

So far T-Mobile's customer support isn't inspiring much confidence on my end...

Call them again. Mine took two days cause they didn't get the right information from me and just didn't do anything instead of contacting me to clear it up.

• Locked thread