Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

8ender posted:

Oh yeah absolutely. It's a retarded setup, just not as retarded as most think.

No, it's really retarded. Just think about how much tirespin that guy is having all the time but thinks he is safe because he threw iron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

InterceptorV8 posted:

No, it's really retarded. Just think about how much tirespin that guy is having all the time but thinks he is safe because he threw iron.

Still better than doing an endo the first time he hits the brakes on some hard pack snow. I mean I'm not defending the ridiculousness of that setup except that at least he might have a chance at stopping safely once he starts understeering towards the ditch.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Snowed pretty nicely here in IL. You know what that means: people going slower than usual, people not having the right tires, people driving in a flurry with their lights off in a silver car, and generally acting as if snow never comes to this state. I've also added in some Facebook stuff because it really proves that there are some huge idiots that try and spread stupid info to other drivers.

These are idiots you share a road with and possibly a car club with. Guy posts about driving his Focus ST in today's snowstorm in IL today on the stock Eagle F1 Summer Tires. Cue people calling him stupid, and people saying that summer tires are fine in winter, and people who have "salesman experience".

Linked it to a gallery because I had to save it before the thread gets deleted.

http://imgur.com/a/X94zq

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
When I get some extra money I'm getting snow tires. With how little I'd have to use them, the tires would probably outlast my car.

I'm not happy with all seasons on my car. Yeah, I haven't had a snow accident, but I'd be loving lying if I said I can't feel every millisecond of lost control, and it's scary as hell, especially when you slide in a direction your car isn't pointing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

99% of problems in the snow can be solved by increasing the interval between cars, and easing off the gas about double the distance you'd normally start applying brakes for a stop.

If the jackass raging up your rear end in a F150 or Cherokee isn't happy about that, gently caress 'em. Just watch the ditches and keep a mental count of how many of them wind up calling for a tow because they forgot that AWD only helps you get moving, not stopping.

Starting from a stop is never fun on all seasons but that's just a reminder that you should be really light on the gas. :v:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Yeah, that's how I play the game. I'm not sacrificing my personal safety and good health so some dickwad can go 5mph faster. An extra 15 minutes on the commute is worth not dying.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Apparently the cool thing around here to do when the sidewalks are iced up is to walk in the street. On the right side. In your dark loving coat at night. Nearly hitting the first dude doing that keyed me in to look for the other five fuckers doing the same thing down the road.

These are the people you share a road with, on foot, in the drat freezing rain and dark

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Last week a few minutes away from me, an 83 year old lady wearing black did that in the middle of the night, with rain and a lack of streetlights, instead of going another 50 yards through the safe underpass.

The people we shared a road with.

(Everybody wears black and jaywalks in the dark here)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Snowdens Secret posted:

Apparently the cool thing around here to do when the sidewalks are iced up is to walk in the street. On the right side. In your dark loving coat at night. Nearly hitting the first dude doing that keyed me in to look for the other five fuckers doing the same thing down the road.

These are the people you share a road with, on foot, in the drat freezing rain and dark

Here we just get people that park their vehicles without pulling off to the side. The only flat street to the interstate from my house has a big jackass F150 parked on one side like that. We're currently incapacitated by snow and ice in our area, so I'm sure the cops won't do anything, but he's seriously got like four feet between his tire and the curb.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd have less of a problem with if if their idiocy was legally recognised, and hitting them meant you received a cheque from their estate to cover the damage rather than a prosecution.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I had that happen to me once. 5 minutes out from home, going down a street dividing neighborhoods, it's 11PM and I barely have time to see the guy decked out in all black crossing the street (also jaywalking.)

Did you not see the car with its headlights on from 400 yards away? Because the street is pretty drat straight, so you're gonna wait for me to get close or something before you walk into the road.

I don't like my neighborhood because idiots in general, plus lovely rice burners everywhere. If I didn't hate using my phone while driving so much, I'd photograph so many ricers.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I'd have less of a problem with if if their idiocy was legally recognised, and hitting them meant you received a cheque from their estate to cover the damage rather than a prosecution.

I've known of a couple of cases in which just that happened.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
These are the people that maintain your roads

(Arkansas in foreground, Missouri in background)

"because Arkansas doesn't get bad weather!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd rather be in Arkansas based on that photo. :v:

As long as I was the only car on the road for 10 miles in either direction. Driving on snow is loving fun.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

InitialDave posted:

These were guys obviously walking to work in the early early morning in this poo poo, I don't want a cheque from their estates, I want them to throw on a brightly colored scarf or something and walk facing traffic

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

xzzy posted:

As long as I was the only car on the road for 10 miles in either direction. Driving on snow is loving fun.

I miss my rwd explorer that died about a year ago, the fwd shitbox I'm driving now is no fun. Best I can manage is some understeer around the neighborhood curves at 20 mph. :(

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

This thread made me stop putting off spending the money to get winter tires for my E90. I just ordered a set, and should have them on by the end of the week.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

devmd01 posted:

I miss my rwd explorer that died about a year ago, the fwd shitbox I'm driving now is no fun. Best I can manage is some understeer around the neighborhood curves at 20 mph. :(

Find a big parking lot and practice j-turns. :v:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

xzzy posted:

99% of problems in the snow can be solved by increasing the interval between cars, and easing off the gas about double the distance you'd normally start applying brakes for a stop.

If the jackass raging up your rear end in a F150 or Cherokee isn't happy about that, gently caress 'em. Just watch the ditches and keep a mental count of how many of them wind up calling for a tow because they forgot that AWD only helps you get moving, not stopping.

Starting from a stop is never fun on all seasons but that's just a reminder that you should be really light on the gas. :v:

Hey buddy, I'm that guy in a Cherokee, I have studded snow tires, I know how to loving drive, and I wish people would do what you are saying, but do it NOT in the left lane.*

The middle lane is further from the sides of the road so chickenshit fuckers who have no idea how to drive can go slow in it and have further to slide before they hit things.

The middle and right lanes are also for slow traffic. The left lane is for passing.

Also: I saw 4 different idiots facing the wrong way in the left and right breakdown lanes on my way into work. Two were compact cars, one was some modern crossover, and one was a minivan. None of them were 4x4s, surprisingly.

The traffic jams they caused turned a 1 hour drive into a 2.5 hour drive.

* yes there are a lot of stupid mouthbreathers driving 4x4s who think that 4 wheel drive means they are invincible. I wish they would all end up in the ditch so the rest of us don't have to worry about them.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran
Does anyone have recommendations for a make and model of dash cam to buy in the US? Preferably off Amazon though I'm somewhat flexible. Not looking for any particular price point. Would fit a late model sedan. I'm just not sure what brands are trash and what is good.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They sprayed a bunch of that mag chloride poo poo all over the roads here because some freezing rain hit this weekend. Kept the roads mostly clear from icing up but the middle lanes of overpasses and el-highways were still pretty icy because the mag chloride ran off the crest I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kastein posted:

Hey buddy, I'm that guy in a Cherokee, I have studded snow tires, I know how to loving drive, and I wish people would do what you are saying, but do it NOT in the left lane.

Then I'm not talking about you. I invite you to come visit Chicago next time there's significant snow, so you can share in the rage. I guarantee within 15 minutes you'll see someone in an "off road" vehicle doing something so pants on head stupid you'll rip your steering wheel off the column and throw it at them. Cities are jam packed of idiots that think that Jeep badge on the front means they can roll off the car lot and drive over any terrain on the planet just by mashing on the right pedal.

"B-but it says TRAIL RATED on the back. Why am I sliding around so much when I weave between lanes?" :qq:

quote:

Also: I saw 4 different idiots facing the wrong way in the left and right breakdown lanes on my way into work. Two were compact cars, one was some modern crossover, and one was a minivan. None of them were 4x4s, surprisingly.

I saw four accidents last night, two of them were full sized trucks, one was a grand cherokee. Last was a Lumina or something similar.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

kastein posted:

The middle and right lanes are also for slow traffic. The left lane is for passing.

I agree with this but I stick in the leftmost lane so I don't have to worry about idiots on both sides of me. I'll try passing if possible, but I'm fully convinced the middle lane is for suicidal idiots and the right lane is for people who don't have any desire to get to their destination with any immediacy (y'know, that thing that driving is supposed to help you do).

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I drove about 140 miles through the latter half of that east coast storm yesterday. From the Delaware Water Gap all the way down to Trenton, every road was well cleared and well salted. 295 south of that was relatively clear in about 90% of it. In several spots, I got stuck behind someone doing 20 mph in what was no worse than a rainy day. But then also I saw an F150 on I-80 that went off the side and up a steep embankment into the trees. On 295, I saw a few cars in the median. I saw a cop trying to push another cop out of the median, while the driver was just gunning it and spinning the tires.

But absolutely every road was clear until I got to my town. Of course they didn't do poo poo. When I got home and was shoveling out my parking spot (because of course I pay the condo fee so they wont ever plow the parking lot in a timely manner when it snows, but that's another thread), some guy managed to get himself stuck in the middle of the street in front of the complex. The road was mostly slush at that point, but he managed to find the one spot of deeper snow. It appeared to be a Cavalier with no exhaust, because it was quite loud as he floored it for about a minute straight.

I had the alternative option to take that trip through Pennsylvania instead of NJ. But, never ever drive through PA in the snow. Every time it snows, all of their interstates shut down and everyone crashes into everything.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

xzzy posted:

Then I'm not talking about you. I invite you to come visit Chicago next time there's significant snow, so you can share in the rage..

Isn't that how people drive there 24/7 anyway?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

Isn't that how people drive there 24/7 anyway?

Pretty much, but it's amplified in the snow when the chances of their idiocy destroying my car goes up.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

I had the alternative option to take that trip through Pennsylvania instead of NJ. But, never ever drive through PA in the snow. Every time it snows, all of their interstates shut down and everyone crashes into everything.

I was driving from CT to NC two years ago when that freak snowstorm hit in October. It started snowing when I was heading through NY, then really picked up when I got to PA. Now yes, this was an out-of-season storm to be sure, but I have never seen so many vehicles stranded in the median or on the shoulder. I mean the interstate was moving steadily at around 15-20 mph, but the utter incompetence of some of the people who just had no idea what they were doing was amazing.

pimpedlightsaber
Dec 3, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Or they bike on the sidewalk because they're shoveled and the streets are slushy. Some kid wearing all dark clothes with no lights on his bike almost rode into the side of my car this morning as I was trying to leave the gas station. I went to pull into traffic and he was going so fast he fell off his bike trying to stop before he hit me. Who the hell rides their bike balls to the wall at 6:00 AM on a slippery sidewalk with nothing to make them visible.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I had that happen to me once. 5 minutes out from home, going down a street dividing neighborhoods, it's 11PM and I barely have time to see the guy decked out in all black crossing the street (also jaywalking.)

Did you not see the car with its headlights on from 400 yards away? Because the street is pretty drat straight, so you're gonna wait for me to get close or something before you walk into the road.

I don't like my neighborhood because idiots in general, plus lovely rice burners everywhere. If I didn't hate using my phone while driving so much, I'd photograph so many ricers.

I was that guy crossing the street! Last night, except it was a little Nissan Micra and I wasn't expecting them to be there because [a] I was crossing between parked cars and couldn't see them because [b] to get on the street and be driving the direction they were they needed to go the wrong way through a turning, it's no entry/busses only so I was looking for a non-existent bus!

So yeah people driving/cycling the wrong way down one way streets, it might save you 3 minutes journey but gently caress you when you nearly hit me.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

I was that guy crossing the street! Last night, except it was a little Nissan Micra and I wasn't expecting them to be there because [a] I was crossing between parked cars and couldn't see them because [b] to get on the street and be driving the direction they were they needed to go the wrong way through a turning, it's no entry/busses only so I was looking for a non-existent bus!

So yeah people driving/cycling the wrong way down one way streets, it might save you 3 minutes journey but gently caress you when you nearly hit me.

That's not really similar to my situation, though, since it was a pretty wide two way street with no other traffic or cars or anything. You could see a couple hundred yards down each way.

But yea gently caress people who disobey laws to try to take shortcuts. I'm sure you'll love saving 3 minutes off your journey when you get a $175 ticket.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid

Drunken Lullabies posted:

Oh yeah, to the dude posting the dashcam videos of kirkland, have you noticed how many people have been driving black/silver cars at night without lights now that it's getting dark early? I've never seen another place in my life that is so full of oblivious drivers.

At least I can halfway understand the reasoning that leads to people not turning on their lights, however flawed it may be. I am way more bothered by people driving with their brights on during daylight hours, whyyyyyyyy.

I thought I had dashcam gold when I pulled up to an empty 4-way stop, looked to my left and saw a bicyclist approaching, and then started to make my left turn. He blew his stop sign so he could slow way down in front of my car, and when I gave him the horn, he gave me the finger for a little while before continuing on his way. Went to pull the video files later and discovered the power plug had been nudged so none of it was recorded :(

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I saw a lady stuck in the suicide lane of the busiest N-S street in town with her kid in a stroller.

I can usually stay calm through even the most idiotic of transgressions, but that kind of poo poo just drives me up the goddamn wall.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Today, I actually witnessed a semi-safe tailgater.

Had some idiot in a newer Dodge Avenger trying to crawl up my rear end today as I headed into town, maintaining a safe speed from the vehicle ahead of me. Of course, there were some slowdowns, but there was one "HOLY gently caress BRAKES" moment when the dumbass ahead of me turned hard into the alternate lane, and person who he swerved in front of moved into my lane. That really shored up my slow braking abilities. :v:

The shithead behind me hit the brakes hard, and turned towards the shoulder at the last second. Thank loving god.. this car took me 8 months to find. :hydrogen:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

West SAAB Story posted:

Today, I actually witnessed a semi-safe tailgater.

Had some idiot in a newer Dodge Avenger trying to crawl up my rear end today as I headed into town, maintaining a safe speed from the vehicle ahead of me. Of course, there were some slowdowns, but there was one "HOLY gently caress BRAKES" moment when the dumbass ahead of me turned hard into the alternate lane, and person who he swerved in front of moved into my lane. That really shored up my slow braking abilities. :v:

The shithead behind me hit the brakes hard, and turned towards the shoulder at the last second. Thank loving god.. this car took me 8 months to find. :hydrogen:

Don't you love it when you get a car you really like, or a car you've had for awhile finally attains the state you wished it was in when you bought it, and it seems like every shithead out there is on a mission to destroy it?

See: My 89 E30 (t-boned by texting van driver), my 87 E30 (minivan pulled out 50ft in front of me). I've had two near-misses in the 95 Miata so far since I bought it in August. People think I ride with the top down all the time because I'm tall. No, idiot, it gives me superior visibility so that I can avoid morons on the road.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Roseo posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a make and model of dash cam to buy in the US? Preferably off Amazon though I'm somewhat flexible. Not looking for any particular price point. Would fit a late model sedan. I'm just not sure what brands are trash and what is good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181244084845?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This arrived for me today. I am still trying it out. It came from Korea in less than a week.
Check out dashcamtalk.com. There is a FAQ with a list of some cameras. I had the "Mini 0801" but returned it because the firmware was buggy and the camera would shut off randomly. It is available from an Amazon seller with Prime though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

West SAAB Story posted:

There's a two lane chunk of road I used to use on my commute, has an enormous 20 foot easement on either side that's kept clean cut. One spot has a gentle uphill grade to a crest, then dives fairly steep right into a stop light. 50 mph speed limit so people tend to try to cruise pretty fast. It backs up a bit during rush hour to the point you can only see cars and no stop light.. this habitually surprises people who expect to be going through at highway speeds and find a line of not moving cars in front of them. I think at least once a week I'd hear tires squealing going through there, when I'm the last car in the line I'd always watch the mirror for potential problems.

At any rate I'm waiting at this stop light one day when I hear those tires. I wasn't super worried because I had a two car buffer behind me but I check the mirror and see a Blazer coming in hot. After what seemed like a long screech he realized there was no way he was going to be able to stop in time, so he suddenly let up on the brakes and juked into the ditch, probably still moving around 40 mph. All I could do was laugh as he bounced his way past me and struggled to come to a halt in a giant cloud of dust.

He blew past me and maybe a half dozen other cars before coming to a halt.. sat there a few seconds trying to decide what the gently caress to do with himself before he turned on his blinker and slowly rolled back into traffic. Someone even let him in.

Bravo buddy, but maybe pay attention to the road next time and stop at the store for a new pair of briefs. :v:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Coworker came back from a delivery looking really shaken up. Asked her what happened - she hit a very icy bridge (with a curve on it no less) before realizing it was ice. She wound up doing a couple of 360s, but the only damage to her car was a scraped front bumper.

... on my way home, I hit the same bridge without thinking about ice. At about 40. Realized my fuckup when it was too late to slow down, just slowwwwwwly eased on the brakes and tried to keep the tires in the ruts.

Made it through just fine, but goddamn that was hairy. BRB, going to Wal-Mart to get some new boxers. And pants. And a seat cover. And turning my loving phone off anytime I'm in the car. :downsgun:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The left lane on the 401 in Ontario is absolutely terrifying if the conditions are right. WHOOOMF as your car hits standing snow that wasn't there 2 seconds ago at 120km/h. Middle and right lanes don't usually have that problem but man it sucks when you're out to get around someone who is terrified doing 80km/h and you see your two safe little tarmac tracks suddenly turn white.

Oddly my BMW deals with this better than the Subaru I used to own. It would get tossed around by sudden snow or standing water but the BMW just plows right through it. I'd like to think it was safer but I think its because its not getting much traction at all and just skating over the white stuff.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

I just ordered two of these yesterday -- one for me and one for my friend as a Christmas gift. Perfect for him, since some asshat backed into his CTS-V wagon and drove off, leaving the front end pretty jacked up. I had considered something a little smaller, but the review and the feature set on the Panorama II just looked a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

First good snow of the winter just started. I can already see people driving by my house with no lights on. Snow isn't really sticking to the road yet and I can't wait to see what stupid poo poo people are already doing on my 1.5 mile commute to work.