Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Wanderer posted:

Remember, V has a Ring of Wizardry from their initial raid on Xykon's dungeon, so he has more spells on deck than you might think.

Likely V's third level spells are doubled, maybe fourth. Though this is the kind of fight where V needs higher level spells capable of shutting down a caster in short order, loads of lower level spells are great if V can fire them off with impunity.

Ideally V needs time to seriously boost her saving throws unless V has Mind Blank as someone mentioned, Mind Blank + Quickened Something Or Other..

Edit: Gentlemen, Power Word Stun At a minimum unless Laurin has spell resistance somehow we're looking at 1d4 rounds being out of action (if V has it).

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Raenir Salazar posted:

Edit: Gentlemen, Power Word Stun At a minimum unless Laurin has spell resistance somehow we're looking at 1d4 rounds being out of action (if V has it).

Oddly enough, V DOES have this spell.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

I meant to mean if V has it memorized, as V is not a Sorcerer. :shobon:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I didn't donate to the kickstarter, but are the PDF comics and whatnot available elsewhere?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Anatharon posted:

I didn't donate to the kickstarter, but are the PDF comics and whatnot available elsewhere?

Nope, they're exclusive to the backers. Your best chance to get them is to hope that once they're all done, they'll get collected into a print book (like SS&DT).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Apparently he won't be planning on doing a collection so I guess it'll be his loss.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Apparently he won't be planning on doing a collection so I guess it'll be his loss.

Kickstarter FAQ posted:

Can I get a print copy of "How the Paladin Got His Scar"?
At this time, we have no definite plans to offer this story (or any "bonus" stories earned by backers pledging at the $1250 level) in print. We may, at some future point, collect them into an anthology book alongside other material, but such a book would not see print until at least 2013.

So, no plans, but he hasn't ruled out the possibility, as far as I know.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Burlew constantly pissing money away by refusing to go digital in the year of our Lord two thousand and thir-loving-teen is a constant refrain, sadly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CapnAndy posted:

Burlew constantly pissing money away by refusing to go digital in the year of our Lord two thousand and thir-loving-teen is a constant refrain, sadly.
S'not like it really stops the pirates, anyways. Not since the invention of a machine called a goddamn scanner.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Leper Colon V posted:

S'not like it really stops the pirates, anyways. Not since the invention of a machine called a goddamn scanner.

I'm surprised he's never done a test of a pdf release of (say) OtOoPCs to see how it impacts his book sales; but he's adamant about how he wants to run his business.

Reminds me of David Dunham and King of Dragon Pass, he was selling his (totally brilliant) 1999 game by hand-burning off CDRoms and mailing them to people, convinced that it could never be put online, even as a google for 'KoDP torrent' got like 400,000 hits. Oh, and: Hm.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Reminds me of David Dunham and King of Dragon Pass, he was selling his (totally brilliant) 1999 game by hand-burning off CDRoms and mailing them to people, convinced that it could never be put online, even as a google for 'KoDP torrent' got like 400,000 hits. Oh, and: Hm.
To be fair, 200MB was a lot in 1999.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

To be fair, 200MB was a lot in 1999.

It was more that they couldn't ... decompile it? Or something? Because the company that made the software they'd made it with had gone out of business.

It all worked out well in the end, the ipad version is completely brilliant and it's on GOG too - apparently he's made a quarter million pounds out of the re-release, which is very well deserved.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

I love that, on a meta level, Tarquin's been offered chance after chance after chance to just pack it up, call it a day, and come back for a final battle in the next book. He's such a meta character, it's fitting that there's a whole level of "dude, look at all the exit points you could have taken, but noooo, you had to keep on pressing the issue until there was no way the story would work without you dying here and now".

Yeah, I like this way of looking at it. The only meta way Tarquin could live after this is if Order of the Stick was run by executive mandate, like a TV Show, because story wise he's forced himself completely into a corner. He wants to be the biggest threat ever…and by making himself a threat that cannot be ignored he's gonna be dealt with decisively, just like how Nale wanted to put on the big boy pants and got himself shanked moments later.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Further to discussions about pdfs:

quote:

Suffice to say, digital pdf downloads are not in the works at this time. My concerns are not piracy; the majority of people who are not willing to pay for content simply don't read the stuff that doesn't get posted here, and the rest, I can't stop. No, my concern is that printing is a very difficult business with very, VERY thin margins of profit compared to the amount of money invested. And those margins are mostly dictated by the economy of scale: printing 5000 copies of a book may only cost 30% less than printing 10,000, and printing 20,000 may only cost 60% more. But they all sell for the same price. So, my printing business only functions if I can sell ALL of the copies that I print, and I estimate the print run as exactly as possible.

Releasing books digitally messes with both of those needs. I can't predict how many people will buy digitally (polls are worthless), and I can't sell a paper copy to someone who has bought a digital one. If half of my predicted customers buy digital instead of paper, then the cost of each paper copy skyrockets and I can't afford to print them anymore. And contrary to what people think, not everyone wants to buy digital.

In the end, I want my books to be, well, BOOKS. I am therefore willing to sacrifice the few digital sales (and I do believe them to be relatively few, since my work is online already anyway) in order to keep my paper business in business.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh, right. His logic of "most of my comic fans are online, therefore no one wants an online version of my other comics :downs:"

MikeJF posted:

No, his logic is 'I want to print books because I like them, so I'm gonna force you to buy books so printing them will be economical'.
Sigh. Well, he's definitely the type to do things his way or not at all...

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 10, 2013

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

No, his logic is 'I want to print books because I like them, so I'm gonna force you to buy books so printing them will be economical'.

It still doesn't make sense at all because even if he was selling few enough books that it wasn't economical and was just a vanity thing, the near 100% profit margin on the digital converts would more than compensate and I don't think there's any scenario where he wouldn't ultimately be making more money.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 10, 2013

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

MikeJF posted:

It still doesn't make sense at all because even if he was selling few enough books that it wasn't economical and was just a vanity thing, the near 100% profit margin on the digital converts would more than compensate and I don't think there's any scenario where he wouldn't ultimately be making more money.

Well this isn't entirely fair, his perspective is a little backwards but I've read it as "Most people want to hold an actual book in their hands, I can't do this unless I sell close to 100% of the print run. Digital sales may make it so that even 50% won't sell, so I can't do digital sales." The rest is just window dressing but he's prioritizing the customers who want books over those who want convenience.

It annoys me slightly too, as when I ordered Start of Darkness and OOTPC's it took two bloody goddamn months for it to ship/reach me and I live in Canada.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

There's scans of the print-only books, but none of the main collections. Which on the one hand makes sense, just collect all the images, but on the other I want those goddamn extra stories and commentary.

But I am seriously not paying loving 30 bucks for a physical book, ever again.

sebmojo posted:

Further to discussions about pdfs:
God, I love this.

"Look, the profit margins on print runs are very, very slim, and a shift of a thousand here or there is literally the difference between making any money or losing it. In the mean time, the margins on digital are much, much better and run on a literally infinite scope where it doesn't matter if I sell one copy or one trillion.

However, for some reason, that second sentence never seems to occur to me. Oh well back to somehow mentally reconciling 'digital copies will sell' with 'digital copies will not make me any money', bye now!"

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

He knows digital copies will make him money. He would rather sell the physical books.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

Well this isn't entirely fair, his perspective is a little backwards but I've read it as "Most people want to hold an actual book in their hands, I can't do this unless I sell close to 100% of the print run. Digital sales may make it so that even 50% won't sell, so I can't do digital sales." The rest is just window dressing but he's prioritizing the customers who want books over those who want convenience.

It annoys me slightly too, as when I ordered Start of Darkness and OOTPC's it took two bloody goddamn months for it to ship/reach me and I live in Canada.

The thing is, if he made a loss on printing because of the fewer print sales and sold all the others as digital, he'd still make more money than the current model! :psyduck:

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
Also peculiar how he believes that a reader will only want one or the other. Personally, I wouldn't buy both, but I feel like there's plenty of evidence to the contrary that there are plenty of people who would buy both, especially if bundled.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

He knows digital copies will make him money. He would rather sell the physical books.
Then he should just say that instead of trying to dress it up as "this is what I have to do to stay afloat, because:

MikeJF posted:

The thing is, if he made a loss on printing because of the fewer print sales and sold all the others as digital, he'd still make more money than the current model! :psyduck:

Noah posted:

Also peculiar how he believes that a reader will only want one or the other. Personally, I wouldn't buy both, but I feel like there's plenty of evidence to the contrary that there are plenty of people who would buy both, especially if bundled.
Similarly, the idea that every digital sale cannibalizes a print sale is an obvious fallacy. The group of people who are not going to buy a physical copy ever but would buy one digitally (at a reasonable price, mind you, $30 is absurd) is a minority but definitely exists.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 10, 2013

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
I don't own any of the books. I'd buy them online.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Noah posted:

You'd think that people paying 1.2 million dollars to Kickstarter would have tipped him off about the likely demand, but eh. Rich is a very particular individual. It seems self defeating to not at least experiment with digital sales (say, on his least popular book) but I'm sure he's worked it out to his own satisfaction.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

sebmojo posted:

You'd think that people paying 1.2 million dollars to Kickstarter would have tipped him off about the likely demand, but eh. Rich is a very particular individual. It seems self defeating to not at least experiment with digital sales (say, on his least popular book) but I'm sure he's worked it out to his own satisfaction.

The whole point to the Kickstarter was that it was a reprint drive - it was about funding the printed books first and foremost. Using that dollar amount to suggest ebooks would have a lot of demand is missing the point of the whole thing.

I think ebooks would be awesome just to make the print-only stuff more accessible, but I have to respect his dedication to getting physical books out there - it's a dying medium that doesn't deserve to die. Call me a hopeless romantic like Rich, but you just can't replicate the feeling of reading a book on a computer or kindle, and I'm glad someone out there feels the same way.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Then he should just say that instead of trying to dress it up as "this is what I have to do to stay afloat, because:

He does. It is what he needs to do to stay afloat if he wants to sell books. As he says, he knows how many he can print and sell. Even if digital sales don't cannibalize his actual profits they can make it untenable to print books because bulk book printing can often be far cheaper. It's obviously important to him to print physical books so that's unlikely to change.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 10, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zonekeeper posted:

The whole point to the Kickstarter was that it was a reprint drive - it was about funding the printed books first and foremost. Using that dollar amount to suggest ebooks would have a lot of demand is missing the point of the whole thing.

I think ebooks would be awesome just to make the print-only stuff more accessible, but I have to respect his dedication to getting physical books out there - it's a dying medium that doesn't deserve to die. Call me a hopeless romantic like Rich, but you just can't replicate the feeling of reading a book on a computer or kindle, and I'm glad someone out there feels the same way.

The Kickstarter was intended by Rich to fund the reprint, but it turned into a YAY OOTS lovefest, was what I was meaning. He ended up scuppering himself by overpromising unfortunately, but he got the books reprinted which was as you say his original idea. And we got loads more strips, so it worked out well for us too :)

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Overseas shipping prices from the U.S. for small operators is insane. I like having the physical books on my shelf but with shipping now usually doubling webcomic books plus tablets being ubiquitous I can see the value in going digital.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Check out some of the business threads over at tradgames and you'll find that Rich's sort of business logic is depressingly common in the hobby. :sigh:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zonekeeper posted:

Call me a hopeless romantic like Rich, but you just can't replicate the feeling of reading a book on a computer or kindle, and I'm glad someone out there feels the same way.
It's not romantic, it's nostalgic, with all the meaning that entails. Rich grew up reading books so he wants his work to be in print, and isn't willing to risk that feeling. I can totally get that, because it's a personal connection.

Also I would argue a book is exactly the same on a proper sized kindle outside of nostalgia, but I've yet to see anything that replaces reading a graphic novel on proper paper at a feasible price.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spiderdrake posted:

It's not romantic, it's nostalgic, with all the meaning that entails. Rich grew up reading books so he wants his work to be in print, and isn't willing to risk that feeling. I can totally get that, because it's a personal connection.

Also I would argue a book is exactly the same on a proper sized kindle outside of nostalgia, but I've yet to see anything that replaces reading a graphic novel on proper paper at a feasible price.

There is also a certain amount of prestige in being a Published Author that just isn't there for online publishing. Any idiot can digitize their horrible stories and sell them on Amazon.
Exhibit A: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3400124&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 :smug:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
See also: why the strips are .gif instead of .png (Rich is a total Luddite and it's infuriating)

Did anyone ever hear how much money Rich ended up making on the kickstarter after costs? Some of his comments on the Christmas OOTS sale suggest he's not really much better off than before.

I mean most small businessmen would have managed to get financially secure after shipping over a million dollars worth of merchandise, but this is Rich we're talking about, so...

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Any time I spend bitching about how Rich doesn't sell .pdfs is wasting valuable time that could be spent bitching about Rich's update frequency.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

DoctorTristan posted:

See also: why the strips are .gif instead of .png (Rich is a total Luddite and it's infuriating)

Did anyone ever hear how much money Rich ended up making on the kickstarter after costs? Some of his comments on the Christmas OOTS sale suggest he's not really much better off than before.

I mean most small businessmen would have managed to get financially secure after shipping over a million dollars worth of merchandise, but this is Rich we're talking about, so...

He reprinted everything but made basically zero extra money after (higher than expected) expenses.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

I imagine if he really, really needed the money he'd start selling pdfs.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

sebmojo posted:

He reprinted everything but made basically zero extra money after (higher than expected) expenses.

Dude wanted glossy, high quality printing on thick paper that was 100% recycled at a cost competitive with most graphic novel trade paperbacks. He cut corners nowhere except the price. You do the math.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
He could have done a lot better if he'd gone less crazy with his additional rewards. I mean I pledged for a set of books and ended up with two colouring books, two sets of sticky notes and two sets of stickers thrown in at no extra cost to me.

It's as if he saw his marginal costs dropping as the print runs grew larger and was determined not to make any money off that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

DoctorTristan posted:

I'm not sure, but probably not THAT much, he can't afford to print Book 5 at the moment, which is why he's offering a bunch of holiday merchandise.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

I hope Rich's business model is okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I hope Rich's business model is okay.

I think its health is roughly comparable to that of Rich himself.