Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
People with Hulu+ probably already did this six weeks ago, but I just finished watching The Wrong Mans (yes, with the s at the end), whose final ep was made available for free today. I didn't know what to expect going in, but I found myself engaged and quite satisfied by the conclusion, which nicely wrapped up the mystery. The show isn't not amazing, but it's fun, and at 6 half hour episodes, it isn't a big commitment anyway.

As a point of comparison, I'd say it was most similar to The Man Who Knew Too Much, except with more comedy to it--James Corden and some other actor I don't know are two office workers who get caught up in espionage after one of them finds a lost cellphone. If you want a second opinion, here's Sepinwall's review.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

That also explains Crichton's leather pants... :allears:

I'm pretty sure everyone on the show wore leather, including muppets.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Yes, but Crichton looked the best in them.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I've been getting "Peacock Panel" surveys from NBC for over a year now, and they never ask about TV shows. They only ask about the Olympics and the Voice... This is why you're in last place.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you been to Games? Actually, it's not much worse than here :)

Hey now! We're nice people. Just don't hog the controller or the dice :colbert:

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

I've been getting "Peacock Panel" surveys from NBC for over a year now, and they never ask about TV shows. They only ask about the Olympics and the Voice... This is why you're in last place.

I'm on FOX's survey panel and the only thing they ever ask about is American Idol.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's the most wonderful time of the year! The time when we get mad at people for having stupid top ten lists! Today, we all get mad at the hipsters from Vulture for saying that Arrested Development s4 was the best show of 2013!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I really liked Season 4. :shrug:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah but best show of the year? I thought it was ok. As an ensemble comedy, it suffered by having the single-character focus episodes. I understand the realities of scheduling a number of successful actors was the reason behind it, but it really hurt the show imo.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
I wasn't that impressed by it... (The first three seasons are still golden). And it wasn't better than the the Breaking Bad finale, or Archer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone knows Arrow is the best show of 2013.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone knows Arrow is the best show of 2013.

I'm seriously debating putting it as my #2 in the TVIV awards circle jerk.

Here's Time's list which is a bit more reasonable.

I thought OitNB was only middling-good so I'm surprised to see how many top 10's it's showing up on.

Speaking of Arrow, Stephen Amell posted this fan cut vid on the Arrow facebook page. It's got some contextless spoilers, but if you are wondering if you would like the show and haven't seen it, it gives a good look at the tone and style of the show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0ApxBcSuYo

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 9, 2013

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

It's the most wonderful time of the year! The time when we get mad at people for having stupid top ten lists! Today, we all get mad at the hipsters from Vulture for saying that Arrested Development s4 was the best show of 2013!

That is a pretty drat lazy and uninspired list for a counterculture website.

Boring Hipster's Top Ten Shows of the Year:
Everything on HBO, AMC and FX.

What a loving rebel.

2013 is the year that brought us the ends of DTTB23, Bunheads and Spartacus, CC's Nathan for You and Brooklyn 9-9, and yet he can't include a single show that isn't pre-approved by critics everywhere. Go to hell Vulture reviewer.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 9, 2013

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That's the spirit!

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I wish Nathan Fielder was a Daily Show correspondant.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
For me the best overall season of TV in 2013 has to be Eastbound and Down. It seemed like it kept getting funnier and better as the season went on, was the rare show where it's final season was probably it's best, and it's final episode was very memorable for all the right reasons.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mu Zeta posted:

Have you been to Games? Actually, it's not much worse than here :)

I only ever read like two Games threads at any time (and my Duels 2014 one) but from what I can tell it's exactly like TVIV because the bad threads are really bad and the rest is just fine.

Also gently caress yeah Telltale making a Game of Thrones game? :frogon:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Minor derail, has Hulu+ gotten better over the last year with things playing over media/tablet devices and not just being restricted to computers?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
The funniest part of TellTale announcing the GoT game is when Joel McHale asked em if there was gonna be graphic incest in the game like there is in the show and the producers were like, "...There's what in the show?" Like they were paid the big bucks to make the game but had no idea what kind of content was expected other than "medieval drama." Can't wait to see what that game ends up being.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JediTalentAgent posted:

Minor derail, has Hulu+ gotten better over the last year with things playing over media/tablet devices and not just being restricted to computers?

It's been a long time since I've had that problem crop up, but I only watch 5-6 shows on Hulu so small sample size.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

savinhill posted:

For me the best overall season of TV in 2013 has to be Eastbound and Down. It seemed like it kept getting funnier and better as the season went on, was the rare show where it's final season was probably it's best, and it's final episode was very memorable for all the right reasons.

Is it the final season for real?

I'm not caught up on this one yet, but they said that last time too, even after the season 3 finale aired. IIRC it was billed as series finale too on HBOGO.

I just figured it was a curb type thing where they're always saying gently caress it we're done, then months later an idea pops up and they start gearing up preproduction.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

What a loving rebel.

2013 is the year that brought us the ends of DTTB23, Bunheads and Spartacus, CC's Nathan for You and Brooklyn 9-9, and yet he can't include a single show that isn't pre-approved by critics everywhere. Go to hell Vulture reviewer.
I just visited their page, and their movie section is just as horrible, if not worse.

NY Mag's idea of culture does not bode well for mankind.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

ufarn posted:

I just visited their page, and their movie section is just as horrible, if not worse.

I hate David Edelstein with a passion, both for his taste in movies as well as his inability to speak on the radio without taking huge gasps every time he starts a sentence. Edelstein was on Fresh Air last year to give his top ten movies of the year and you could just hear the frustration in Terry Gross's voice as every movie was worse than the last.

TG: A movie about growing up Mexican in rural North Dakota, absolutely fascinating. What's next on your list.
DE: Its a film called 'Rockers.'
TG: That sounds interesting.
DE: It is. Its about four generations of rocking chair artisans in Ireland.
TG: :suicide:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Irish Joe posted:

I hate David Edelstein with a passion, both for his taste in movies as well as his inability to speak on the radio without taking huge gasps every time he starts a sentence. Edelstein was on Fresh Air last year to give his top ten movies of the year and you could just hear the frustration in Terry Gross's voice as every movie was worse than the last.

TG: A movie about growing up Mexican in rural North Dakota, absolutely fascinating. What's next on your list.
DE: Its a film called 'Rockers.'
TG: That sounds interesting.
DE: It is. Its about four generations of rocking chair artisans in Ireland.
TG: :suicide:

That's like, purestrain NPR right there.

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Irish Joe posted:

What a loving rebel.

Did you just choose to ignore Hannibal and Scandal in that top 10? No matter how you slice it, HBO/AMC/FX should be accounting for a good 5-6 of the best tv shows of the year.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

That's like, purestrain NPR right there.

97% pure NPR. Say my name.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cart posted:

Did you just choose to ignore Hannibal and Scandal in that top 10? No matter how you slice it, HBO/AMC/FX should be accounting for a good 5-6 of the best tv shows of the year.

Mad Men and Breaking Bad. It's network all the way after those for me.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Along these lines, the "Best shows you've never seen/haven't heard of/aren't watching" lists annoy me because they do tend to fill up with shows that seem to me get a lot of chatter and recognition.

If you're going to do that sort of list, pick shows that are truly forgotten or lost in the shuffle, panned so early in their run that they never recovered with audiences even if the series improved, that never found any audience and maybe even lack a DVD release.

But that are also good shows that deserve a look.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Holy cow, I just noticed that Shout! Factory released a complete series set for Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.

:swoon: All 325 episodes. I love that show so much but it's been practically impossible to find anything past the first 25 episodes before now unless you happened to catch it on syndication like, ten years ago. I hope that set drops to <$100 at some point (or the episodes hit streaming services some time, but I'm not holding out hope).

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wa27 posted:

Holy cow, I just noticed that Shout! Factory released a complete series set for Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.

:swoon: All 325 episodes. I love that show so much but it's been practically impossible to find anything past the first 25 episodes before now unless you happened to catch it on syndication like, ten years ago. I hope that set drops to <$100 at some point (or the episodes hit streaming services some time, but I'm not holding out hope).

Jesus christ. I'd always imagined MHMH as one of those shows that would be impossible to do on DVD, this is fantastic. I always thought this was the best Lear show.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

wa27 posted:

Stop making up shows that never existed!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The only reason I've ever heard of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman is because of a recent AV Club review of an old SNL episode where Louise Lasser (the star of Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman) was on and it was a complete trainwreck.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

JediTalentAgent posted:

Along these lines, the "Best shows you've never seen/haven't heard of/aren't watching" lists annoy me because they do tend to fill up with shows that seem to me get a lot of chatter and recognition.

If you're going to do that sort of list, pick shows that are truly forgotten or lost in the shuffle, panned so early in their run that they never recovered with audiences even if the series improved, that never found any audience and maybe even lack a DVD release.

But that are also good shows that deserve a look.

That's literally the entire reason why websites make Top 10 lists. They're no-effort, low-content articles that gets huge amounts of clicks because people can't stand seeing someone be Objectively Wrong About Telelvision on the internet.

I used to post on a forum with a freelance writer from Cracked.com and he admitted that they intentionally ordered lists with the actual best, most interesting choices at the beginning of the list to get people hooked and also because it made people link and re-visit the article to argue about it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

...of SCIENCE! posted:

That's literally the entire reason why websites make Top 10 lists. They're no-effort, low-content articles that gets huge amounts of clicks because people can't stand seeing someone be Objectively Wrong About Telelvision on the internet.

M...my posting strategy....:ohdear:

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

PriorMarcus posted:

Mad Men and Breaking Bad. It's network all the way after those for me.

I'd go to bat for Game Of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire, The Americans, Justified for drama, or Archer, The League and Veep for comedies over 90% of network shows.

There's plenty who'd make a claim for Girls, Enlightened or even Walking Dead and Homeland as worth too. Definitely not Dexter though.

And that's ignoring the Netflix, BBC America or Sundance shows.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cart posted:

And that's ignoring the Netflix, BBC America or Sundance shows.

Rectify was by far the best show of 2013. Top ten "of all time".

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

:siren::parrot:The Genius is back:parrot::siren::

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1870ol_eng-the-genius-2-ep-1-food-chain-1-2_videogames
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x187awy_eng-the-genius-2-ep-1-food-chain-2-2_videogames

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sesame Street LOTR parody:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nN9lNJuqG4

Also ya girl Jenji is developing a Salem Witch trials drama for HBO.

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 9, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Occupation posted:

Because I'd rather not wade through a bunch of black bars and would rather discuss its cinematic strengths and weaknesses over its gameplay strengths and weaknesses

If you've already played through the whole thing then why would you be concerned with spoiler bars? There are plenty of people that were talking about the gameplay last time I checked, although that was months ago. I'm not even sure the thread is even that active anymore.

quote:

The games thread is too obsessed with the idea of player choice over the discussion of quality of the story told, or the acting/cinematography/pacing, which makes sense considering the subforum but isn't what I look to in the telltale game.

You're exaggerating more than a bit there but if you don't want to talk about games in the games forum for some reason then whatever man, it's your prerogative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Now that we have subs for S2 I'm willing to throw up an OP tomorrow if nobody else is interested.

OH poo poo SANGMIN'S BACK :supaburn:

Rarity fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Dec 9, 2013

• Locked thread