Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'm hoping for an Origins 2 which shows some interim Batman, with Harvey Dent and Catwoman as the main focuses. It wouldn't be a particularly new or groundbreaking story, but it could be drat fun and cinematic, because really, for me I just want to run around feeling like Batman, I don't actually need some amazing new story that pushes the envelope and treads new ground... I just want a well told Batman tale where I actually get to be the Bat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I know they wouldn't really fit the aesthetic of the Arkham games, but I wonder if any Justice League members will ever be acknowledged in them.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

I'm hoping for an Origins 2 which shows some interim Batman, with Harvey Dent and Catwoman as the main focuses. It wouldn't be a particularly new or groundbreaking story, but it could be drat fun and cinematic, because really, for me I just want to run around feeling like Batman, I don't actually need some amazing new story that pushes the envelope and treads new ground... I just want a well told Batman tale where I actually get to be the Bat.

I'd like it if they brought in one of the newer threats like Court of Owls that have a city-wide scope. Something where Batman is broken down and stripped of much of his tech (too many gadgets) and builds himself back up (yay, new gadgets) could be pretty fun.

The labyrinth would make a pretty fun level.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

bonds0097 posted:

I'd like it if they brought in one of the newer threats like Court of Owls that have a city-wide scope. Something where Batman is broken down and stripped of much of his tech (too many gadgets) and builds himself back up (yay, new gadgets) could be pretty fun.

I would looove a stripped down Batman (uh, err, you know). I would be so happy never to have to launch a glue/rubber/snot grenade into the water ever again.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
My only real hope for the Arkham series is that they eventually do Arkham Beyond.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

ShineDog posted:

Joker died in the city that has been shown to have resurrection goop in it, with at least 2 resurrection devices. Joker will be back, I just hope to hell not any time soon.

I'm getting pretty tired of Joker too. Bats is great for having such a diverse and interesting rogues gallery but lame in that everyone mostly wants their own crack at writing a Joker story. Thus he gets cycled like crazy.

redbackground posted:

I would looove a stripped down Batman (uh, err, you know). I would be so happy never to have to launch a glue/rubber/snot grenade into the water ever again.

.... but my glue smash takedown! :ohdear:

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

bonds0097 posted:

I fully support this. That labyrinth section was amazing. I really dug the Dark Knight challenges where you had to get through predator rooms without using detective mode (and without being seen). Granted, you can go through the entire game without using it as a self-imposed limitation, but it definitely makes the predator rooms much tense.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think people use Joker so much in that he is very similar to Trevor from GTA V, you can pretty much write him into whatever role that you want to.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Fuzz posted:

I was really bummed that they were nowhere to be found in this game. Seemed like a bit of a writing oversight considering how many longstanding villains (almost all of which were newer than Harvey or Catwoman) into the storyline. I mean, come on, Selina Kyle was in Batman #1.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Fuzz posted:

I know it's old hat but same, and I'd for once not have the game address (other than maybe in the data logs) his goddamn parents, either because the situation "warrants it" (Alfred dying flashing to him over his parents' bodies) or because hallucinations. Not that I think there's anything wrong it with but it feels too easy to do.

DrNutt posted:

I was really bummed that they were nowhere to be found in this game. Seemed like a bit of a writing oversight considering how many longstanding villains (almost all of which were newer than Harvey or Catwoman) into the storyline. I mean, come on, Selina Kyle was in Batman #1.
I haven't played it but isn't Blackgate six months after Origins or something? I could swear Catwoman is in the promo materials and the game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Sober posted:

I haven't played it but isn't Blackgate six months after Origins or something? I could swear Catwoman is in the promo materials and the game.

I dunno but unless they release an HD version for consoles/pc I'll likely never get to play it.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

redbackground posted:

Getting smacked around like a baby :allears:

edit: There wouldn't really be reason for him to be in B:AA, anyway, since Sionis isn't the type to be sent to an insane asylum for treatment (same with the Penguin). But as I type this, I remember that a bunch of Blackgate prisoners were sent to Arkham as part of Joker's plan, so BM could have shown up that way, if it came to that.

His mask was in one of the doctor's offices, and there is a profile entry for him that explains his origin and other details.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

His mask was in one of the doctor's offices, and there is a profile entry for him that explains his origin and other details.
Oh I know, but if you successfully run a multi-million dollar crime organization for years on end, you're probably not certifiable.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Almost none of these characters would actually go to an insane asylum based on their mental state, as I understand it. The ending credits of Origins sort of point that out too, by having Arkham Asylum reopen simply to contain the most dangerous criminals as opposed to merely targeting the truly psychotic individuals(which again is almost none of these guys).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Wasn't there a thing where they said nearly half of all CEOs exhibited signs of psychopathy and sociopathy?

Also, he carved a mask which he always wears from his father's coffin, who he murdered because he didn't like him.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

ShineDog posted:

He shows up in city, it's pretty blink and you'll miss it though. Right at the beggining.

Well, yeah, I know he shows up at the beginning, but he only shows up at the beginning. He has no real presence in the game is what I mean.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

My only real hope for the Arkham series is that they eventually do Arkham Beyond.

This would be the best thing. Especially if they get Inque, Blight, Spellbinder, and Shriek in-game.

Sober posted:

I know it's old hat but same, and I'd for once not have the game address (other than maybe in the data logs) his goddamn parents, either because the situation "warrants it" (Alfred dying flashing to him over his parents' bodies) or because hallucinations. Not that I think there's anything wrong it with but it feels too easy to do.

I agree. At this point it's like "Yeah, okay, I get it. His parents are dead."

ToastyPotato posted:

To be fair, Catwoman's gear can be found in Arkham, and she's not crazy at all.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 9, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

bonds0097 posted:

Didn't Origins have a reference to them? I thought somebody posted a picture (I don't have it yet, so I can't confirm). I'd like to see that done, mostly because I'd like to see the last half done better.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

Phylodox posted:

I know they wouldn't really fit the aesthetic of the Arkham games, but I wonder if any Justice League members will ever be acknowledged in them.

There's a reference to Queen Industries in ACO, as well as a reference to Ferris Aircraft. I've read there there's also references to Steel and a certain Wonderwoman enemy as well.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

HenessyHero posted:

There's a reference to Queen Industries in ACO, as well as a reference to Ferris Aircraft. I've read there there's also references to Steel and a certain Wonderwoman enemy as well.

and Booster Gold :3:

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Phylodox posted:

Considering Warner Bros is making a Batman vs. Superman movie I think Justice League references are pretty much a given for the next game. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a sidequest that had Bats dealing with a villain out of Keystone or collecting Kryptonite or whatever..

HenessyHero posted:

MeatwadIsGod posted:

and Booster Gold :3:

Wait what?

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

If you pay close attention to the labels on some of the random crates, as well as the billboards, you'll find a few well-known DC company names. The Queen Industries one is more prominent since it's a giant shipping container in the room where you fight Deathstroke.

Edit:

VVVV There's a big Blaze Comics thingy on the bridge.

HenessyHero fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 10, 2013

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

HenessyHero posted:

If you play close attention to the labels on some of the random crates you'll find a few well-known DC company names. The Queen Industries one is more prominent since it's a giant shipping container in the room where you fight Deathstroke.

What's the booster gold reference?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

bunnyofdoom posted:

What's the booster gold reference?

There's a Blaze Comics shop in Gotham.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, yeah, I know he shows up at the beginning, but he only shows up at the beginning. He has no real presence in the game is what I mean.

Also, one of the riddles in AC is to find where Black Mask tunneled out of Arkham- apparently he was the only one to escape. And he's the boss in a couple DLC maps that came with the Nightwing pack. Still not much more than cameos.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I agree. At this point it's like "Yeah, okay, I get it. His parents are dead."

Batman Forever gets a lot of grief, but I always liked that they actually had Bruce deal with his grief over his parents and get over it. It's like, it's still part of his psyche, but it doesn't have to be at the front of his mind in every single fight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Batman Forever was pretty good. I think it just gets a lot of flak because it was succeeded by Batman and Robin.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Batman Forever was pretty good. I think it just gets a lot of flak because it was succeeded by Batman and Robin.

And the wonky out of character Two Face. And the neon aesthetics.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I forgot where I read it but it made a lot of sense:

Batman Forever/Batman & Robin weren't made for us; they were made for young kids. They were made to sell toys.

Fans of TAS, comics, and the first two Burton movies were not their target market.

(they still sucked though)

Beeez
May 28, 2012
The Burton movies are pretty stupid too, to be honest.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

ToastyPotato posted:

And the wonky out of character Two Face.

I remember reading somewhere that the Bat-movies were all about the villain in concept, if you were an actor and cast as one it was your duty to ham it up, go crazy and steal every scene since that's what Nicholson did to nail it. Carrey certainly went that way for his AADD-ridden Riddler.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
For my money, The Animated Series is the best non-comic incarnation of Batman.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Phylodox posted:

For my money, The Animated Series is the best non-comic incarnation of Batman.

I'd say its the flat-out best.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Is there something different (if not actually hosed up) about the controls/timing in this game compared to the other two? I don't know how many times I've tapped Y and completely missed what seemed like an easy counter. I'm only on Normal too. I really want to like this game but unresponsive controls (or what seems like them) in any game just make me rage. I'm actually thinking of starting over on Easy if that's what it's going to take.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

It seems like the game decides much earlier if you're struck by an attack or not than its previous entries. You need to be all over the counter button as soon as it's available, very late counters like a micro-second before you're tagged are effectively gone.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Roman posted:

Is there something different (if not actually hosed up) about the controls/timing in this game compared to the other two?
Yup, countering is kind of borked this time around. It's very unreliable! Enjoy!

redbackground fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 10, 2013

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
So after getting the dreaded Fatal Error that pretty much wiped all my progress, I managed to get a save file from a fellow goon about roughly where I was in the game. Two weeks later, I finally find the time to beat it.

I gotta say, story wise, this one is the best hands down. It doesn't have the atmosphere of Asylum, nor the grizzled, self confidence, never-say-die attitude of City, but it has gritty, dark emotion. I'd have to say that the Firefly fight is my favorite so far, out of the three games.

And yes, I agree.. Combat is somewhat hosed right now, especially counter timing. Just rely on the shockgloves and keep moving though and most fights are cake.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Roman posted:

Is there something different (if not actually hosed up) about the controls/timing in this game compared to the other two? I don't know how many times I've tapped Y and completely missed what seemed like an easy counter. I'm only on Normal too. I really want to like this game but unresponsive controls (or what seems like them) in any game just make me rage. I'm actually thinking of starting over on Easy if that's what it's going to take.

enemies are more aggressive and counter's cancel from normal attacks at later frames so you probably activated a counter, but it was too late. The controls respond perfectly, but the changes they made, despite being subtle (outside of the changes to flying air smash compared to regular air smash) are what gently caress with people who played a gently caress-ton of Arkham CIty.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

MrJacobs posted:

enemies are more aggressive and counter's cancel from normal attacks at later frames so you probably activated a counter, but it was too late. The controls respond perfectly, but the changes they made, despite being subtle (outside of the changes to flying air smash compared to regular air smash) are what gently caress with people who played a gently caress-ton of Arkham CIty.
I found that the gap between needing to do something and a move resolving is either much larger, or was never really explored until AO, because you do want to watch for enemies coming at you or where everyone is before going to send out another attack. It probably is still the same time between "must make move to keep combo or fail out" in the older games but it feels like almost a whole drat second when you spend most of it scanning. I mean you almost return back to standing position following any attack at this point.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
I can understand not wanting the players to constantly be canceling out of their attacks for counters, but it really messes with the flow of combat and I have a really hard time maintaining combos because of that change. It doesn't help that Origins also seems to be the most combat-heavy of the series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Skoll posted:

I gotta say, story wise, this one is the best hands down. It doesn't have the atmosphere of Asylum, nor the grizzled, self confidence, never-say-die attitude of City, but it has gritty, dark emotion. I'd have to say that the Firefly fight is my favorite so far, out of the three games.

That reminds me, I did enjoy the rather terrible efforts Bruce makes at humor at different points in the game, including the Firefly fight ("YOU NEED A NEW HOBBY!")

I think my favorite is probably after he beats up Croc at the start of the game.

Croc: You'll be dead by the end of the night!
Batman KOs Croc
Batman: At least I won't be ugly.

So, so terrible :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Beeez posted:

The Burton movies are pretty stupid too, to be honest.

You shut the hell up. Michael Keaton was a great batman. :colbert:

Batman returns though? I'll give you that one. Even if it had a pretty crazy Catwoman.

• Locked thread