Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: Season 4 begins on June 27! :siren:

How would you dream up the perfect game show?
1) Be sure to cast celebrities so there's reputations and personal histories in play.
2) Don't make them live in a house because then you just have a lovely reality show; instead, have them meet once a week for a battle of wits, testing both mental and social acuity.
3) Hold it in a country where cultural norms prevent people from acting like complete shitheads.

Well, we don't have to dream anymore. I present to you, The Genius:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQem4x_JGIg

That was a horribly dubbed trailer for season 3. Episodes with EXCELLENT fan-made English subtitles (by Clefairy from the TeamLiquid forums) are posted to her Tumblr, typically the Monday after airing. You can also follow her on Twitter for updates.

Season 3 Cast

(clockwise from the top right)

Oh Hyunmin (KAIST student)
-Cute looks and an extraordinary mind! “The Genius“‘s youngest ever player!
-Dominates the games with a boldness beyond his years and quick judgement!
-Looks that surpass those of idols and sparkling eyes. A pretty boy comes to restore KAIST’s honor!
-Disarms female players with cute looks!

Kwon Juri (Miss Kangwon and Dealer)
-Quick hands and accurate calculations. A Kangwon Land dealer who doesn’t lose her cool under any situation!
-Bold plays and an extraordinary competitive spirit hidden behind slender looks!
-The master of games that reads the minds of gamblers!

Kang Yongseok (Lawyer)
-Pay attention to his poker face and skilled plays developed through countless controversies and years of experience!
-A politician turned TV star! A hot potato with many haters and fans!
-School district 8, Seoul University, Harvard Law School! A lawyer who took the elite course. The elite of elites!

Ha Yeonjoo (Actress, the woman halfway down the right)
-Possesses both intellect and beauty with 156 IQ!
-The beauty with a thousand faces makes her first variety appearance! A true jack of all trades!
-A devilish player who captures men’s hearts with her lively personality!

Nam Hweejong (Math lecturer)
-173 IQ with skills and charismatic looks. The eloquent top online maths lecturer!
-Returned to redeem himself. Forget “The Genius : Rule Breaker”! His surefire survival tactics will overcome the 1st round!
-An overwhelming presence that pressures the other players! The most feared player and a strong favorite to win season 3!

Jang Dongmin (Comedian)
An unpredictable player who competes with unexpected ad-libs and boldness!
The adaptability and sense of a 10 year comedian. Recently risen as a variety show success story!
Level 100 wits, level 200 sense! A player with the intuition and strategy to outdo the winner of “The Genius : Rule Breaker”.

Kim Junghoon (Actor)
-146 IQ and ranked 67th in the nation as a student! His hobby is solving maths problems! The most requested player by “The Genius” viewers!
-A singer turned pretty boy actor! The original umchinah has returned as a genius!
-Asia’s prince who won a quiz show on Japan’s Fuji TV 2 years in a row!

Choi Yeonseung (Oriental doctor)
-Gangnam’s representative oriental clinic director and responsible for the visuals of “The Genius : Black Garnet”!
-A unique familiarity that lowers the guard of other players and a positivity that shines in dangerous moments!
-A brilliant mind in the top 0.03% of the 2003 SATs! Selected out of 3,000 applicants for “The Genius : Black Garnet“‘s open casting call!

Yoo Sujin (Financial planner)
-The financial planner of VVIPs that relies on thorough data analysis to map out their futures!
-"The Genius : Black Garnet“‘s official big sister with a tough and gentle side!
-The most requested investment lecturer from countless corporations and schools! Leadership that encompasses every player!

Shin Ahyoung (Sports announcer, the woman in the center)
-Rewriting the history of umchinddals! The daughter of the Financial Services Commission’s chairman, a Harvard graduate and the sports announcer goddess!
-English, German, Spanish, etc. Fluent in 4 languages and an endless positivity that draws people in!
-A charming player that chases after a dramatic finish!

Kim Yoohyun (Pro poker player)
-Selected out of 3,000 applicants for the open casting call. A pro poker player that enjoys high level psychological battles!
-Ranked 3rd in Manila’s Texas Hold ‘Em tournament on September 2012! An English lecturer that is as fluent as a native!
-Aiming for the win with the pride of a pro poker player on the line!
-A strong favorite that suggests the best strategy with logical thinking!

Kim Kyunghoon (Seoul University graduate student)
-Selected out of 3,000 applicants for the open casting call. From Minjok Leadership Academy to Seoul University! The king of specs!
-A devilish player that plunges players into chaos with his unexpected goofiness!
-Handsome looks and a sociability without limits.

Lee Jongbeom (Webtoon writer)
-The writer of the web toon “Dr. Frost” which will be made into a drama on OCN!
-A logical persuasiveness based on quick game sense! A high level player that moves the hearts of other players!
-The comforting voice of a radio DJ and his psychological knowledge allow him to read others from a few words!

Episodes: Available via the subber's Tumblr. Also follow her on Twitter for updates.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jun 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Game theory: the show.

Also the best show.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Season 1 was some of the best TV I've watched all year and that's saying something. What's the policy regarding spoilers? Will it be constant black bars then a week after an episode it's free to talk about?

Season 2 is off to a great start, they made a smart choice bringing Sangmin and Jinho back as it just adds another layer to this amazing game. Also the person I thought was going out in the first round ended up actually going, was so good to watch.

Yoonsun and Hongchul are my faves already

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Off to a great start with season 2! At first I was somewhat worried that the participants not used to being on TV would end up being a lot more boring than the rest, but most of them did fine in episode 1, and it looks like at least some of those who didn't get to do a lot in episode 1 will get more in episode 2. Very nice and tense first episode!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Josh Lyman posted:

[*]Noh Hongchul: a comedian/TV personality a la Will Ferrell.

I'd say the only comparable aspect of Noh Hong-Chul and Will Ferrell is that they both inspire the same 'love them or hate them' reaction from people. I think NHC is brilliant personally, and if it's still online I really recommend people watch the double part Infinite Challenge where Yoo Jae Suk (Yellow Suit Guy), Noh Hong Chul (Elevator Guy) and Ha Dong Hoon (aka Ha-Ha, Bob Marley Fan) go to New York to perform with PSY. It's just utterly brilliant.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Just chiming in to agree that this show is incredible, I'm super excited for this season and would definitely strongly recommend to anyone even if they've never seen any Korean TV before (as I pretty much hadn't when I watched S1)

GraPar fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 11, 2013

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
That was a great episode. Also I really love the moments when the music starts pumping up and they reveal some genius insane strategy that turns the tables completely.

The cast looks really interesting too. It's gonna be a great season.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wholeheartedly agree with this thread title, and this thread. The Genius is amazing.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
Man, I'd love to watch something like this, but all I can find are dead links to it.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

Meow Cadet posted:

Man, I'd love to watch something like this, but all I can find are dead links to it.

Check the twitter link in the OP.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
The dailymotion links, at any rate, are dead. I wonder why they're being so aggressive in taking it down.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Cityinthesea posted:

The dailymotion links, at any rate, are dead. I wonder why they're being so aggressive in taking it down.

Yeah, that's really unfortunate. I can see a justification if someone licensed it for streaming on their site like Hulu or Dramafever, but there's no movement in that direction.

The subber has the sub files and a link to the raw :filez: on her twitter:

https://twitter.com/bumdidlyump

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Im watching season 1 now, whats with the overly dramatic Genius Game intro with the black cards? Feels almost life theyre riffing on the Liar Game manga.

e: Hoo boy, I should have watched a little longer, the million dollar diamond is a direct ref. I guess the creators liked it.

Secx
Mar 1, 2003

Hippopotamus retardus
Has anyone been able to download season 1 in 720p from the torrent posted in that twitter? I loaded it up on my seedbox and can't connect to any peers.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Looks like she's attempting a reupload to Dailymotion with some stealth measures.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's a site with an obvious name for Asia based TV shows that has all of season 1 in a pack, and I have enough credit I can give to around 10 people to grab it. We've had stuff like Running Man on Alluvion without problems but I don't think it'd be cool for me to post a direct link to the site here. Mods?

Also, watch Running Man.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Season 1 was amazingly tense and exciting through out. I'm real excited for this season, and it's off to a strong start already.

Stoked that Sangmin and Jinho are back, and of course Hongchul joining.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

Don't know if anyone cares, but I liked the dubstep music (as terrible as it is) on the show, so I did a little bit of searching for the first episode:

Character Introductions: Metrik - Between Worlds VIP
Death Match (After the 2nd pair of cards are shown on the table): Brian Tyler - Now You See Me (Robert Delong Remix)

I know there are some others, but they seem very played out (Korean shows looove playing Bourne music).

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I also noticed "I Want To Kill Everybody in the World" by Skrillex and the main theme from Pacific Rim in the first episode.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The constant use of Moby ~ Extreme Ways every time a major twist happens is one of my favourite things about the show :allears:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'd say the only comparable aspect of Noh Hong-Chul and Will Ferrell is that they both inspire the same 'love them or hate them' reaction from people. I think NHC is brilliant personally, and if it's still online I really recommend people watch the double part Infinite Challenge where Yoo Jae Suk (Yellow Suit Guy), Noh Hong Chul (Elevator Guy) and Ha Dong Hoon (aka Ha-Ha, Bob Marley Fan) go to New York to perform with PSY. It's just utterly brilliant.
Would Borat be a more apt comparison?

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Just finished the first episode of the new season and it seems that most of the cast know what they're doing except for Jaekyung, Junghyun and Jiwon. Hopefully in later episodes they get the chance to show us that they're not completely oblivious and not just get carried into later rounds.

Kinda bummed that the 0 card didn't come in play in the death match, but that was probably because the game was designed so that having generally unfavorable cards by the end is unlikely. But it would've made things interesting if the trusted last person they trade with gave that card to them.

But overall great episode.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
For people who haven't seen them, I would suggest watching the BTS scenes that are uploaded along with the main episodes. They're rather charming.

Dailymotion and YT seems to have pulled them though, which is a shame. I haven't seen the new ones for season 2 yet. :(

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Also chiming in to say this show is great! Even with the excessive use of Moby. Generally a lot of fun watching everyone figure out the game intricacies and how to win, never feels like there's any artificial drama being created. First time I've ever watched a Korean show...

Great to see Jinho and Sangmin back, Jinho's outside the box thinking throughout S1 really won me over on him. Looking forward to see what they change up this year and what games they come up with, the over-reliance on Go or Liars Poker for the elimination games got a little redundant last year.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Cart posted:

Also chiming in to say this show is great! Even with the excessive use of Moby.

Moby is how you know something AMAZING is happening. It's like The Bourne Identity of game shows.

What I love about the show is how the focus is on figuring the games out, and that they figure the games out so drat well. They break that poo poo down, and they strategize, and they scheme, and they proceed to gently caress each other over gloriously. It's a masterpiece. Imagine if they tried to do games like this in Survivor or something, or made The Genius: America. It would be depressing as gently caress.

I'm really bummed that bullshit copyright claims kinda hosed up the watching experience, especially around the time Season 2 was starting, but I'm hoping new viewers can still get into the show and enjoy it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Jamesman posted:

What I love about the show is how the focus is on figuring the games out, and that they figure the games out so drat well. They break that poo poo down, and they strategize, and they scheme, and they proceed to gently caress each other over gloriously. It's a masterpiece. Imagine if they tried to do games like this in Survivor or something, or made The Genius: America. It would be depressing as gently caress.

I seem to remember The Mole having some pretty interesting games and the contestants weren't dumb, but they did have someone actively trying to sabotage them all the time so they never seemed to work out right.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

Jamesman posted:

Moby is how you know something AMAZING is happening. It's like The Bourne Identity of game shows.

gently caress yeah. It's like a Pavlovian response when it starts playing. You know some crazy poo poo is gonna go down.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
An English-language (i.e. British or American) could be incredible, provided they didn't dumb it down at all and got a decently intelligent/skilled selection of notable people, but both of these things are pretty unlikely to be honest. I basically just want to see Stephen Fry and Ken Jennings going head to head..

First episode was terrific, looking forward to this season immensely. Had forgotten how goddamn funny it is - Sangmin getting nostalgic about last season absolutely killed me. I do have a lot of affection for him and Jinho because of being fairly familiar with them now - I love that they both constantly just look surprised/offended/confused, which is obviously pretty much always at least partially bullshit.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

The opening music is great aswell. You get a slow build with various pieces being put in place and alliances for the episode developing then BOOM. It's a really effective way to get people pumped up for the show, works for me every time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The OP has a video with English narration, is it getting internationally released?
Also this trailer is in the related videos and its hilarious cause the narration sounds like something they would put on a commercial for toddlers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkGG_iQF7ws

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Josh Lyman posted:

Would Borat be a more apt comparison?

I honestly wouldn't compare him to anyone, he's just a mad dude who always wants to make people laugh.

Trying to rush through the first season now as I didn't get chance to before, there's a lot more literal dialogue on the screen in this than Running Man, which is interesting. It's a bit annoying that the eng subs aren't positioned a little bit better as it's hard to read sometimes, but the quality of the translation is really good at least. Not quite as complete as RMs best work (iSubs, with song names and all the honorifics) but impressive nonetheless as it appears to be a single person doing it.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's a bit annoying that the eng subs aren't positioned a little bit better as it's hard to read sometimes, but the quality of the translation is really good at least.

That's probably just the softsubs. The hardsubs were A++ grade.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm used to hard subs for RM, but I'm using the bumpdidlyump .rear end set for this and they're working very well. Good colour/size, multiple sets on screen at once, good motion when needed. Definitely better than every .SRT set I've ever used and you get the massive benefit that you can load them onto either RAW or encoded video. I always got the sense that some hard subbers were going RAW -> 720p Encode of RAW obtained by subber -> further 720p Encode with hard subs.

Watching episode 3 and more honorifics are being covered than I thought previously, so that might've just been me. It's only when there's two lines of English where there's Korean subtitling on screen where there's a bit of crossover. The Korean subtitling must make it easier for the subbers, as it looks like the subs I'm watching are using those for translation, so it follows exactly what the show wants you to 'hear' (as obviously you can't sub everyone talking when there's 4 people going at it).

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
The OP is right in that this is probably the best game show I've seen and probably the best 'reality' tv show since Running Man. The games themselves are actually incredibly quite balanced and relatively low budget so the draw really is in the people and the way they make strategic decisions. It really is Game Theory: The TV Show

The first episode was great and justice was served when the arrogant lecturer with the 170+ IQ, the most 'powerful' card and the strongest alliance lost to a lawyer who focused on building stronger bonds and trust with her allies instead of playing the game for her own win.

Having watched other Korean shows, it's interesting to see how the cast are acting. Experienced media savy members like Hong Chul treats it like another variety/comedy show and does his best to explain things and provide an enjoyable experience to the invisible viewer while the progamers like Jin Ho and Yo Hwan treat it like a professional competition and immediately set out to strategise and win.

I was expecting Noh Hong Chul or Jin Ho to get chosen to get kicked off the show, since they look like the biggest threats.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Kegslayer posted:

I was expecting Noh Hong Chul or Jin Ho to get chosen to get kicked off the show, since they look like the biggest threats.

I don't think anything can prevent Jinho from being eliminated by the Emperor. They both know it's destiny.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Meme Emulator posted:

Im watching season 1 now, whats with the overly dramatic Genius Game intro with the black cards? Feels almost life theyre riffing on the Liar Game manga.

e: Hoo boy, I should have watched a little longer, the million dollar diamond is a direct ref. I guess the creators liked it.

Some games are very reminiscent of some of the Liar Games, and at least one of them is lifted straight from it, minus the technological sophistication that made the one in the manga possible.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Wow, they did not hold back for season two, the Food Chain game was quite complex with all the animal specific rules and winning conditions. The group looks great too and I really need to start watching Infinite Challenge, Hongchul is amazing. One minute in I already loved the guy.

I enjoyed the elimination game quite a bit more then the main game. In the main game I was caught by suprise on some of the events as much as the players were like how the lion had to eat every turn but the crocodile didn't and what the mandatory areas were. I was not quite sure what happened in the last round with Jinwon and the girl, did he just keep talking until the time was up and she forgot to actually attack him ?

The elimination match was a lot of fun, it's greatest when the deathmatch involves the other players instead of a one-on-one like Indian Poker.

It was also a wonderful Princess Bride 'I'm left-handed too!' moment where they revealed Hweejong's team was giving signals as well. As much as I want it to be Yoonsun's more cooperative attitude that won her the victory I think it was mostly luck in having a 10 card in her first four and the crucial winning card being with one of her team members.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Linking to a Twitter feed is fine, but this thread shouldn't devolve into "how do I download show". Tread lightly, my friends!

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
First episode was great, and I was happy to see the first eliminated player was who it was, as he gave me an arrogant rear end in a top hat vibe. Though that wasn't even entirely his fault unless he was insisting that they get his IQ correct as if 3 points really needed a correction and fawning over for his introduction. The jump cuts to his twitching face might have had a lot to do with it too. The only better way to dunk that guy would have been the last trader giving him the 0. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
My favorite part was Him realizing that he couldn't eat anyone in the third round and he just kept saying Oh my god in English :v:. Also the fact that Sangmin was the snake, as that was so perfect.