Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Helushune posted:

What does your company use for antivirus? We're currently using Sophos but I'm pulling my hair out because it thinks that everything is some sort of trojan bent on taking over your computer. It's blocking WSUS and pushing packages over SCOM/Systems Manager from working. It's even been blocking Windows 7 SP1 and any updates to the Sophos program itself, constantly claiming everything's a trojan. I can't believe we pay a subscription fee to keep this thing around. :psyduck:

Are you on System Center 2012? If so you've already got Microsoft Endpoint, just use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
We did a deployment of an internal application that was pulling teeth. At multiple points I had to unpack it, make changes to SQL scripts, and repack it. Took seven hours, but I wasn't upset because learning curve and learning opportunity. That was 3 weeks ago, and attempt #2 was going to be today, wherein we would see how the things we learned affected the build and how it streamlines it. Ideally we should have it down to a one hour process. Turns out no new build was done. Uhhh, deployment cancelled then.

I realize it's a minor complaint, it's just a cumulative exhaustion at people not doing the one thing they're supposed to do.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 9, 2013

fcc compliant bob
Jan 15, 2006

The must un-fantastic avitar on the forum (guranteed!)
Developer makes a crappy product that needs improvement, stands firmly with poor decision as if it were handed to them on high power by God almighty himself. Maintains crappy implementation while steadfastly refusing to ever correct.

fcc compliant bob fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Dec 9, 2013

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

hihifellow posted:

We have Sophos and it isn't nearly as bad as this. You have a subscription, did you contact their tech support? It sounds like your behavior monitoring is set to block anything suspicious and got tuned extremely tightly.

I haven't called them but we're all so incredibly sick of how janky it is and want to move to something else. Preferrably something that doesn't think its own self-updater is a trojan. The other thing is that it was originally setup by someone forever ago who didn't document anything that they were doing so no one knows anything about it. I've logged in to the management console a couple times and it looks like everything is set to defaults but it constantly says that none of the clients are syncing policies correctly and I just don't have the patience to sit down and figure it out. I'd rather just wipe everything and start from scratch but, again, no one knows where the install files, lisencing keys, or anything for Sophos are located which is why I'm looking for anything else.

A lot of the clients haven't been updated in a couple years because of the whole "hey, my update package is definitely a trojan" thing and I don't have the time to check every computer across multiple school campuses to see if they're all running the latest version of Sophos.

FISHMANPET posted:

Are you on System Center 2012? If so you've already got Microsoft Endpoint, just use that.

Yes, we have a volume lisencing subscription and I just noticed that Endpoint's on there as well. This is probably the most practical thing to switch to; thanks.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
System Center is licensed as a single product in 2012, if you have any component you've got them all. So see if there's anything in there you want to start leveraging. That goes for everybody.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If anyone has ever dealt with a building management system you probably already know my pain. Large complex of buildings, ten year old system and the stupidest goddamn vendor ever. I've spent a year trying to get them to come in and complete migration to the latest version of their lovely BMS and it's still not done. The manufacturer specifies a single vendor per region so we're stuck with them, and the latest is that after loving up the SQL install on the new server they snuck back in to fix it and then quietly started upgrading PCs without telling me. This is bad because the product has crippled most of the machines they installed it on but they just kept plugging away until all of them were updated.

Also you can't roll it back. All terminals must run the same version or none of them work. So the software had to be removed from the crippled machines, but their whole reason for being is to run the goddamn BMS software.

Anyway... bad vendors make everything worse, and vendor lock-in with a bad vendor is the worst.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I deal with a door entry system that requires the desktop client and the server to be in sync with each other, there's no forwards or backwards compatibility on either side.

Regardless of the fact that the application does nothing that couldn't be achieved with a web UI, it's also nearly impossible to deploy and has to be uninstalled and re-installed to update it. Why it can't create a scheduled task on install that allows it to download the latest versions of everything from the server and just kick that off when it detects a mismatch I have no idea. I guess that would be too sensible.

poo poo like this has made me value a web UI for any piece of software that multiple people need access to. gently caress desktop clients unless you have a really good reason.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
After sending my stroppy email this morning I went to site to discover half my team of cable pullers had been sent to another job and will arrive some point later (1420 to be precise) so another day of almost no work done.

PM didn't even reply to my email either though I'm hardly surprised

I sense a saga developing

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Helushune posted:

I haven't called them but we're all so incredibly sick of how janky it is and want to move to something else. Preferrably something that doesn't think its own self-updater is a trojan. The other thing is that it was originally setup by someone forever ago who didn't document anything that they were doing so no one knows anything about it. I've logged in to the management console a couple times and it looks like everything is set to defaults but it constantly says that none of the clients are syncing policies correctly and I just don't have the patience to sit down and figure it out. I'd rather just wipe everything and start from scratch but, again, no one knows where the install files, lisencing keys, or anything for Sophos are located which is why I'm looking for anything else.

A lot of the clients haven't been updated in a couple years because of the whole "hey, my update package is definitely a trojan" thing and I don't have the time to check every computer across multiple school campuses to see if they're all running the latest version of Sophos.

Yes, we have a volume lisencing subscription and I just noticed that Endpoint's on there as well. This is probably the most practical thing to switch to; thanks.

It's been a couple years since I dealt with Sophos, but my experience with them was that they are one of those rare companies with actually decent support. If you have a support contract, don't worry about install files and such, they make everything very easy to get to. Give them a call, see how they can help before you blow everything away. Hell, they might even be able to help you blow everything away cleanly!

Of course fishmanpet makes a good point about SCCM. If that can cover your needs, why continue paying for a redundant product?

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!

Helushune posted:

We use Sophos and the only time we had a major issue was last year when a bad update went out, it not only classified itself as a trojan but all other updaters as well. Fortunately, we are small, less than 300 devices, and Sophos released a fix fairly quickly. Some poor bastards were in schools/large enterprises with 5000+ affected endpoints.

Other than that, the level 1 folks love it and the management console. Of course prior to Sophos we were on Panda anti-virus, such a cute logo/name for a really horrible product.

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

Trastion posted:

Hmmm the only thing I can find in the config file is
code:
policy-map asa_global_fw_policy
 class inspection_default
  inspect dns maximum-length 512 
  inspect ftp 
  inspect h323 h225 
  inspect h323 ras 
  inspect netbios 
  inspect rsh 
  inspect rtsp 
  inspect skinny 
  inspect sqlnet 
  inspect sunrpc 
  inspect tftp 
  inspect xdmcp 
  inspect pptp 
Both configs have that same section and the older 7.0(6) version works fine with it.

I will try to remove the inspection for the 2 h323 entries and see if that helps.

I was mainly thinking about the similarities between SIP and H.323 and their usages, and how their traffic gets mangled by older FW software. The two H.323 rules shouldn't have any effect at all on your SIP behavior. H.323 is a little more tweaked, in that NATed devices include their local IP in the video information, for example, you call out from a system with proper port forwarding, and the remote party sees a call from 10.1.1.65 or something instead of your public IP, making return calls impossible. This is handled well by most firewalls, it's the extra behind-the-scenes traffic that's confounded, like H.239, which carves out a portion of the bandwidth, mid-stream, for a laptop presentation; essentially it's another stream.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

We use Sophos as well and it's pretty good.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'm actually happy to report good things going on where I work. We're upgrading all the XP machines to 7, we're finally ready to deploy Active Directory and dump eDirectory(which means we get to push out printers finally), and we're getting SCCM. I guess the only bad thing is all the extra work, but it makes the day go by faster, and once everything is deployed we'll be sitting on the corpses of a bunch of pre-Optiplex 745 computers that I want to see repurposed instead of thrown on the surplus pile. We're also getting another person next year, after all the deployment though at the rate we're tearing through everything. Everything's coming up Yaos.

It's great being able to use AD, we already have it in one location and it's so much better than eDirectory. I can't wait to get SCCM so we can switch our anti-virus to Endpoint protection or whatever name Microsoft has decided to call it this month. I just have to hope McAfee does not decide to put out an update that bricks computers.

Something to bitch about though, eDirectory is a pile of crap and things keep breaking in it that we're not keen on fixing since we're so close to our AD deployment. Salvage files (shadow copy) suddenly stopped working for no reason. Reseting passwords is a pain, it requires remoting into the computer and getting into our admin account to change the local account password and also changing the eDirectory password. It also sucks that everybody has about 50 different jobs.

Funny story, our supervisor asked our top sys admin how much more AD would cost over eDirectory, turns out that Microsoft does not nickle and dime us like Novell does and we'll be saving $40,000 a year which will more than cover SCCM licensing. Want to push out printers? Gotta buy Zenworks. Wanna remote control computers? Gotta buy Zenworks. Are they included in the same package? According to the sys admin they are not. :mad:

Does anybody use 3rd party software the deploys 3rd party updates? Right now we have people on a variety of versions of different 3rd party software since we have no way to deploy 3rd party updates and we would like to keep everybody on the same version. SolarWinds looks good, but wondering if anybody has any experience with it or other software of it's kind.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 10, 2013

frogbert
Jun 2, 2007

Yaos posted:

I'm actually happy to report good things going on where I work. We're upgrading all the XP machines to 7, we're finally ready to deploy Active Directory and dump eDirectory(which means we get to push out printers finally), and we're getting SCCM. I guess the only bad thing is all the extra work, but it makes the day go by faster, and once everything is deployed we'll be sitting on the corpses of a bunch of pre-Optiplex 745 computers that I want to see repurposed instead of thrown on the surplus pile. We're also getting another person next year, after all the deployment though at the rate we're tearing through everything. Everything's coming up Yaos.

It's great being able to use AD, we already have it in one location and it's so much better than eDirectory. I can't wait to get SCCM so we can switch our anti-virus to Endpoint protection or whatever name Microsoft has decided to call it this month. I just have to hope McAfee does not decide to put out an update that bricks computers.

Something to bitch about though, eDirectory is a pile of crap and things keep breaking in it that we're not keen on fixing since we're so close to our AD deployment. Salvage files (shadow copy) suddenly stopped working for no reason. Reseting passwords is a pain, it requires remoting into the computer and getting into our admin account to change the local account password and also changing the eDirectory password. It also sucks that everybody has about 50 different jobs.

Funny story, our supervisor asked our top sys admin how much more AD would cost over eDirectory, turns out that Microsoft does not nickle and dime us like Novell does and we'll be saving $40,000 a year which will more than cover SCCM licensing. Want to push out printers? Gotta buy Zenworks. Wanna remote control computers? Gotta buy Zenworks. Are they included in the same package? According to the sys admin they are not. :mad:

Does anybody use 3rd party software the deploys 3rd party updates? Right now we have people on a variety of versions of different 3rd party software since we have no way to deploy 3rd party updates and we would like to keep everybody on the same version. SolarWinds looks good, but wondering if anybody has any experience with it or other software of it's kind.

SCCM Should probably cover deploying updates

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

FISHMANPET posted:

System Center is licensed as a single product in 2012, if you have any component you've got them all. So see if there's anything in there you want to start leveraging. That goes for everybody.
The one exception to this is that if you have desktop licenses as part of your Enterprise Agreement, they do not cover any server installations of the same product in the same environment. (It makes obvious sense, but read: it's not a site license, folks!)

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
The other day as I spun up 5 test servers and then deleted them a few hours later, I found myself wondering "How did I ever do anything before Virtualisation?"

Right now I'm wondering "How does anyone do anything without Active Directory?"

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
Something that's been pissing me off for the past few days; someone keeps emailing myself directly saying "....I still can't print..... Is this fixed yet....." - I've emailed her asking for details about: Which site she's at (Field-based, could be from home, could be 200 miles away), is she using a terminal server, even what printer she's trying to use. No response, apart from "Still not fixed.... When will this be fixed???" - Repeated 2 or 3 times.

So I just sent an email to her, my boss and her boss, which included the trail. Explained that I can't help until I get details, so hopefully that's the end of that - But still :catstare:

DrAlexanderTobacco fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 10, 2013

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Yaos posted:

Since we're too cheap for SCCM I got my boss to spring for Solarwinds' Patch Manager and it works pretty good. Building your own update instead of one of their pre-built configs is quite the process though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Yaos posted:

I guess nobody is moving to Novell, and all they have left to do is milk the ever-living poo poo out of their legacy customers.

Kind of sad, because Netware used to be pretty awesome, and had many features Windows was only having wet dreams about.

Then it became apparent that Microsoft Windows was going to be the desktop OS of choice, Microsoft made their server offerings usable, and that was pretty much that...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Recent dell laptops appear to be magical puzzle boxes. A tech has been trying to replace a screen for almost an hour now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Recent dell laptops appear to be magical puzzle boxes. A tech has been trying to replace a screen for almost an hour now.
Dell techs are contractors working for Banctec, Unisys, or some other big field support company, so there's a non-negligible chance that the person you got just has no loving clue what they're doing.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
A huge amount of Novell's revenue is from maintenance agreements with government organizations. Those organizations never upgrade, and happily pay 18% of the license cost annually for technology that's decades old.

edit: fixed typo

chia
Dec 23, 2005
Apparently December = layoffs. No idea if I'll get shitcanned, probably won't, but I don't exactly like the idea of a 3 month temporary layoff either. Time to think about YOTJing I guess.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Misogynist posted:

Dell techs are contractors working for Banctec, Unisys, or some other big field support company, so there's a non-negligible chance that the person you got just has no loving clue what they're doing.

Because they are contracted out, plenty of money gets lost along the way, so the amount that's available to the actual end technician is poor. (I have done contract work for random companies that then send me to work on Dell machines. Paid per job, no expenses. It wasn't great).

Which also goes some way to explaining the above.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Misogynist posted:

It took him about an hour and a half in the end, and I think he lost half the screws.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
Ah... that wonderful stage in a project lifespan where the other two come running towards me half in tears saying that everything is broken on stuff that "we" built (which I've never seen before and just a week ago was stuff "they" built). The problem? We purged the database to fill it with clean data in preparation for the next/final milestone and suddenly all their scripts which refer to hardcoded value names in the database are no longer pointing to the right thing.

Yes, that sounds like something "we" would have done together and there's no way anybody could have ever had the foresight to point out that hardcoding references to dynamically-generated names might not be the most future-proof way of designing a website.

What's fantastic is that I don't have time to redo it for him and I am absolutely confident that he's just going to update the values to the new ones and then tell our client not to change those values. And since our client isn't the final client, he may as well be shouting into the wind.

e: For reference I am the shittest developer or computer person ever so I'm pretty terrified at the amount of times these guys have come to me with a problem (after slapping their club fists at the keyboard for four days straight) only for me to say "you can't do that, that's not how computers work".

And don't get me started on SQL injection.

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Dec 10, 2013

LooseLeafTea
Oct 17, 2012

Well, what do you say?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

It took him about an hour and a half in the end, and I think he lost half the screws.

At least he didn't leave his phone inside the machine like my last Dell tech :v:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Misogynist posted:

We've been having a seemingly never ending string of issues with Unisys techs at the moment, including one dude showing up for a job and being refused entry to the building because he looked so messed up.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

We've been having a seemingly never ending string of issues with Unisys techs at the moment, including one dude showing up for a job and being refused entry to the building because he looked so messed up.
That's messed up. The last batch of Unisys techs we got were doe-eyed and super-eager, brought in to rack and stack an Isilon cluster. The entire time, I got the feeling that they wanted to turn it on, set it up, and play with it, which is very much not what Unisys is contracted to the customer to do. :)

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

LooseLeafTea posted:

At least he didn't leave his phone inside the machine like my last Dell tech :v:

This is outstanding. How would you not notice that?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

rolleyes posted:

It's not hard to misplace a phone if you have multiple. Say a work and personal. There is a reason I use my personal for GPS and work for audio books, I'll notice if I forgot one.

It's still stupid to place your phone inside a computer case never mind close it in there.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

pixaal posted:

It's still stupid to place your phone inside a computer case never mind close it in there.

I dunno, I've done it once when I was using it as a makeshift flashlight when I had no other alternatives at hand. v:shobon:v

edit: Putting it in a case, that is, not closing it in there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've left my iPhone in a ceiling space before when using it as a torch. That was a fun one to track down.

LooseLeafTea
Oct 17, 2012

Well, what do you say?

rolleyes posted:

I think he may have been getting a little flustered cos it had taken him many hours to do a very simple motherboard/cpu replacement and he had a very irate IT person standing over him who'd been in the office for over 14 hours and wanted to go home. Guy also kinda looked like he'd barely touched a computer before.

FWIW it was also the third repair attempt on our main file and database server - which then died terminally the next day. At that point I gave up and DR'd onto a spare R510 I had just racked up: after spending hours after the office closed babysitting Mr 'which way does this thing go again' I'd had about all I could take of Dell support...

The warranty for said server only ran out this month too, and this crap occurred in January - they've been emailing me constantly since about extending support on the thing :fuckoff:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

LooseLeafTea posted:

I first read this as him leaving his phone number inside the machine, and I was thinking what's the big deal? How did you even notice?

LooseLeafTea
Oct 17, 2012

Well, what do you say?

stubblyhead posted:

I first read this as him leaving his phone number inside the machine, and I was thinking what's the big deal? How did you even notice?

After I'd nearly managed to finally get him out the door, he noticed he didn't have his phone in his pocket. He then spent 15 minutes taking apart all his bags before I thought 'surely he can't have been that dumb, surely...' and opened up the server again just in case... And lo! There was his iphone. I think I nearly melted it with my contempt-ray as I gave it back to him.

Edit: oops, misread, thought you wondered how I noticed the phone not how I would have noticed him leaving his number... I'm tired :blush:

LooseLeafTea fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 10, 2013

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

So I just had my annual review (only 6 months late!) and was told how wonderful I am with the exception that I need to work on "polishing" my interactions with upper management. Apparently some VP complained that I wasn't kissing rear end enough?? That's how I read it anyway... :allears:

Also got the annual "we love you, you are an asset, the company wants to commit to you if you will commit to them!" spiel. I really want to believe him this time but I should know better.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Words are cheap though. I'm sure we've all had the "you're fantastic! a real asset to the company! a raise? hahahaha".

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

HalloKitty posted:

Kind of sad, because Netware used to be pretty awesome, and had many features Windows was only having wet dreams about.

Then it became apparent that Microsoft Windows was going to be the desktop OS of choice, Microsoft made their server offerings usable, and that was pretty much that...

The tale of NetWare makes me sad. I loved working in NetWare (my first cert ever was a CNE) and like you said, their functionality was way ahead of Microsoft.

But Microsoft advertised and Novell didn't and I started getting ignorant Directors and C-types coming in to my office asking if I'd heard about Windows Server and how "everyone is using Microsoft now" so why weren't we?

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sirotan posted:

So I just had my annual review (only 6 months late!) and was told how wonderful I am with the exception that I need to work on "polishing" my interactions with upper management. Apparently some VP complained that I wasn't kissing rear end enough?? That's how I read it anyway... :allears:

Also got the annual "we love you, you are an asset, the company wants to commit to you if you will commit to them!" spiel. I really want to believe him this time but I should know better.

Did you ask how the company's commitment will effect your next paycheck?