Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

CharlesM posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181244084845?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

This arrived for me today. I am still trying it out. It came from Korea in less than a week.
Check out dashcamtalk.com. There is a FAQ with a list of some cameras. I had the "Mini 0801" but returned it because the firmware was buggy and the camera would shut off randomly. It is available from an Amazon seller with Prime though.

Dashcamtalk is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
Got woken up at 0630 to go unlock some acura across town. Normally that's maybe a 10 minute drive, but thanks to the little bit of :siren:SNOW:siren: we're getting right now, it took more like a half an hour. Oh on, not because there is any actually sticking to the roads! It's because of the kinds of idiots that make you wonder how they ever managed to pass a driving test, until you remember that snow is not covered at any point during drivers ed, and that there is a distinct possibility that it could be these peoples' first proper winter! Like the one lady I got stuck behind doing 7 in a 35 while straddling both lanes with all of her lights off, and who also felt the need to prevent me from passing her for a very slow mile.

Needless to say, the customer called me right as I was pulling into her parking lot to say she had gotten her car unlocked.

Listen, I understand not wanting to pay somebody $80 to fix your stupid mistake first thing in the morning, but don't go waking somebody up and dragging their rear end out into the snow only to cancel on them at the last possible second! Thanks for wasting an hour of my time, pissing me off enough that I can't get back to sleep(too late for that anyway), and also making us pay the dispatch company for you to call us twice; but that's all okay because your morning was saved, and it's not like you're directly taking money out of the pockets of small business owners or anything! :sassargh:

Oh, and it's my day off...

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Two of the vehicles with their lights off on the road this morning were the typical unmaintained work vans, dog-tracking their way down the road leaving a trail of exhaust smoke behind them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oh, I completely forgot about the thing that took the cake yesterday morning when Massachusetts collectively lost its mind and forgot how to drive because of 1/4" of slush on the roads.

I saw a blue toyota shoppingcart LXi (I don't what make/model it was, actually, blue appliance sedan) at that same horrible merge from the i90 ramp onto i95 that I sperged about before... everyone's stuck in traffic and the douchebag driver jumps the curb and drives half on the grass median to pass, and then cut off, a single car. Because two lanes of fuckheads trying to jam into a now-single lane at an ugly merge/zipper isn't bad enough already.

The most futile, assheaded, douchebag move I have ever seen while driving, bar none. I was praying for them to get stuck or crack their oil pan the whole time but sadly neither happened. There is no justice in this world.

Had they gotten stuck I would have pulled in front of them, got my tow strap out, acted like I was going to pull them out, then flipped them off and driven away.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I honestly wished that all cars would have all their lights on no matter what time of day it is. Lightbulbs aren't super expensive when compared to getting repairs done from someone knocking you.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

There's a two lane chunk of road I used to use on my commute, has an enormous 20 foot easement on either side that's kept clean cut. One spot has a gentle uphill grade to a crest, then dives fairly steep right into a stop light. 50 mph speed limit so people tend to try to cruise pretty fast. It backs up a bit during rush hour to the point you can only see cars and no stop light.. this habitually surprises people who expect to be going through at highway speeds and find a line of not moving cars in front of them. I think at least once a week I'd hear tires squealing going through there, when I'm the last car in the line I'd always watch the mirror for potential problems.

At any rate I'm waiting at this stop light one day when I hear those tires. I wasn't super worried because I had a two car buffer behind me but I check the mirror and see a Blazer coming in hot. After what seemed like a long screech he realized there was no way he was going to be able to stop in time, so he suddenly let up on the brakes and juked into the ditch, probably still moving around 40 mph. All I could do was laugh as he bounced his way past me and struggled to come to a halt in a giant cloud of dust.

He blew past me and maybe a half dozen other cars before coming to a halt.. sat there a few seconds trying to decide what the gently caress to do with himself before he turned on his blinker and slowly rolled back into traffic. Someone even let him in.

Bravo buddy, but maybe pay attention to the road next time and stop at the store for a new pair of briefs. :v:

When I first got my license and was driving to work for one of the first times I was rounding an onramp onto a low-speed freeway outside my parents' place. There's a big hill on the right side of said road because they were trying to build a cloverleaf but ran out of money. It was spring, but it was early in the morning so the dew was still freezing on the road.

The road that feeds into the exit is a popular drag racing spot for rich kids/ricers, so much so that they built a police station on it and people still have street races on it.

I had to stop abruptly because the guy in front of me misunderstood the concepts of "merge" and "yield." Traffic is dead stop in front of me. I glanced at the rear view and saw a dude in a Civic flying in behind me.

He couldn't stop in time, swerved and jumped the curb. His Civic launches up the hill sideways and gets stuck at the top. Since at this point I am stopped on a freeway onramp, I didn't know what to do so I looked to make sure he wasn't dead and took off at full speed as soon as the traffic in front of me opened up.

I'm glad he didn't hit me because based on how far he flew when he crested the hill... I check my rear view mirrors a lot and leave myself room to try and wiggle out of the way now.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 10, 2013

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Roseo posted:

Dashcamtalk is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks!

Also check out http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/

I bought a Mobius and I am veyr happy with it. It is nicely discreet.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
40 car or so pile up outside Milwaukee. Why do people drive so drat fast in those conditions?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R38RJuul55c

edit:
Small bonus idiot driver from this morning. I had to drive the Thunderbird this morning in sub-freezing temps after the water pump in my Range Rover explosively disassembled itself at 70MPH on the drive home last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUysMS72SAo

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 10, 2013

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

spog posted:

Also check out http://www.techmoan.com/guide-to-dashcams/

I bought a Mobius and I am veyr happy with it. It is nicely discreet.

Wow, that camera seems amazing. Definitely on my to buy list.

Kill-9 posted:

40 car or so pile up outside Milwaukee. Why do people drive so drat fast in those conditions?

Many of them are so obviously distracted as well, swerving at the last second as they (probably) look up from their phones.

Edit: That's one of the stupidest drat pileups I've seen in a long time.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Dec 10, 2013

Knobjockey
Jul 21, 2003

Crush your enemies.
Bang! and the alien is gone.
Hear the lamentation of Dr. Vahlen.
Steptoe: It's a hundred and six yards to Aldi, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of Werther's Originals, it's dark, and we're wearing incontinence pants.
Hilda Ogden: Meander aimlessly right at a mini roundabout without giving way or indicating, it's only Knbjockey, he won't mind.

Can't wait for snow.:smith:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MrOnBicycle posted:

Many of them are so obviously distracted as well, swerving at the last second as they (probably) look up from their phones.

My assumption is when they swerve that's the instant they realize they're never going to be able to stop in time and decide heading for the ditch is the best option (probably with the brake pedal still mashed to the floor, because what's a friction budget?). They probably had the brakes locked for several seconds before they ever entered the camera's field of view.

I'd guess the only people who truly weren't paying attention were the pair of tools at 0:10 who started the whole thing.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Yeah that too. Also, check out the person clipping one of the stationary cars 3:32. :psyduck:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MrOnBicycle posted:

Wow, that camera seems amazing. Definitely on my to buy list.

Fog today...so bad that some people had to slow down to 70mph in places.

with the inevitable rear-ending when someone stops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZ8UMDQ_EA

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

spog posted:

Fog today...so bad that some people had to slow down to 70mph in places.

with the inevitable rear-ending when someone stops:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSZ8UMDQ_EA
On the related videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhx-fgpeBo fun stuff starts at about 55 seconds in.

The spin out of control is like something out of a movie. Overcorrect left, overcorrect right, see ya!
Also in my experience driving in the greater Vancouver area is always like this.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Kill-9 posted:

Guy in the Walmart truck stopped to get himself a front row seat to the greatest show on the road.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

Guy in the Walmart truck stopped to get himself a front row seat to the greatest show on the road.

That or there was literally nowhere for him to go. :v:

I'd like to think seeing a trailer stopped in the road helped warn drivers approaching the scene a little bit too.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...

xzzy posted:

I'd like to think seeing a trailer stopped in the road helped warn drivers approaching the scene a little bit too.

That's kind of what I thought. Having a big ol' truck stopped up ahead might be easier for the cellphone gabbing jackholes to see and possibly slow down before impacting the back of the pile up. It seemed once he got stopped the pile up chain reaction ended.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CharlesM posted:

On the related videos.
[video type="youtube"]lGhx-fgeBo[/vide fun stuff starts at about 55 seconds in.

The spin out of control is like something out of a movie. Overcorrect left, overcorrect right, see ya!
Also in my experience driving in the greater Vancouver area is always like this.

The most surprising thing to me about this video is how many cars pull over to help, including the truck that caused the wreck to begin with. In the US that Uhaul would have completed its lane change and continued on its merry way as if nothing had happened, followed by a dozen or so other cars that saw the crash but can't be hosed to stop.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Terrible Robot posted:

The most surprising thing to me about this video is how many cars pull over to help, including the truck that caused the wreck to begin with. In the US that Uhaul would have completed its lane change and continued on its merry way as if nothing had happened, followed by a dozen or so other cars that saw the crash but can't be hosed to stop.

The pickup doing a hard dive to the shoulder with 3 dudes spilling out and running to help was an awesome sight. I could almost hear them in the cab yelling "LETS DO THIS".

As for the pileup video. What surprised me the most wasn't the stream of oncoming speeders (that isn't shocking, now is it?), but that not a single person who got out decided to walk back down behind the pileup to flag incoming cars to slow the gently caress down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

treizebee posted:

As for the pileup video. What surprised me the most wasn't the stream of oncoming speeders (that isn't shocking, now is it?), but that not a single person who got out decided to walk back down behind the pileup to flag incoming cars to slow the gently caress down.

On the other hand, that would have put them directly in the path of a bunch of out of control cars going 50+ mph.

The safest decision would have been to remain in their car until the carnage came to a stop. Airbag smoke and worries of fuel leaks tend to convince people to leave the car asap but that frame is the best thing in the area for keeping bags of meat from getting crushed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

The safest decision would have been to remain in their car until the carnage came to a stop. Airbag smoke and worries of fuel leaks tend to convince people to leave the car asap but that frame is the best thing in the area for keeping bags of meat from getting crushed.

Actually I think the desire to get out of the car is more "I don't want to be in this car when someone comes careening into it at 50+ MPH." Safest place to be would have been on the other side of the center divider.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Geoj posted:

Actually I think the desire to get out of the car is more "I don't want to be in this car when someone comes careening into it at 50+ MPH." Safest place to be would have been on the other side of the center divider.

I saw a guy dead on the freeway yesterday because he decided to get out and survey damage. Turns out the ice that you slip on, is probably where the next person is going to lose control.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I don't know what the hell happened to my dashcam - it was working fine yesterday, then today I noticed the charger's LED was lit up with the car off. Unplugged the charger... charger LED still on and the camera made a weird high pitched beep. :wtc: Somehow the camera was backfeeding it. Couldn't get the camera to do anything except blink the power light until I left it disconnected for a bit, now it's working just fine again (though it lost all its settings)... and not backfeeding the charger either.

:psypop:

MrOnBicycle posted:

If only humans had some sort of way to know when some poo poo is going down around them. Almost like.. a sense of sight.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
How many times did someone pull out in front of me while I was going over 55 this morning? Three, three times! Ah Ah Ah!

Alphius
Nov 5, 2009

some texas redneck posted:

I don't know what the hell happened to my dashcam - it was working fine yesterday, then today I noticed the charger's LED was lit up with the car off. Unplugged the charger... charger LED still on and the camera made a weird high pitched beep. :wtc: Somehow the camera was backfeeding it. Couldn't get the camera to do anything except blink the power light until I left it disconnected for a bit, now it's working just fine again (though it lost all its settings)... and not backfeeding the charger either.

I bought the same model you did and on the second day I owned it in the middle of a recording the audio got all distorted and cut off... now it doesn't record audio at all. I am about to send it back and get my money back and spend it on booze instead; it'll probably make me happier. Oh, also the camera doesn't turn on by itself when I start my car if the temperature is below freezing. I have to either manually turn it on and start recording or wait until my defroster heats the camera up enough at which point it turns on by itself.

:psypop:

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

treizebee posted:

The pickup doing a hard dive to the shoulder with 3 dudes spilling out and running to help was an awesome sight. I could almost hear them in the cab yelling "LETS DO THIS".

I closed the video before this part and went back and watched it after reading your comment. I don't know why but that third guy who came out of the truck sort of power-walking toward the scene of the accident made me laugh hysterically. It's like he doesn't know if he should walk or run.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Almost hit a guy last night. Waiting to turn, don't see any cars, HOLY poo poo A BLACK PRIUS WITH NO LIGHTS ON. It was 8:00 at night, so the sun was definitely set. Guy just cruising down an unlit road in a black car with no lights.

Why are Prius drivers usually so much worse than others?

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I had a car behind me last night with yellow headlights. Is this a thing now? Is he just trying to emulate a race car or is it another dumb trend thing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Confirmation bias. :v:

Our brains are always looking to establish patterns, often to our detriment. It doesn't help that the Prius looks pretty much identical today compared to models sold 10 years ago, so there is a legion of completely dull looking cars driving around generating bad data.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Almost hit a guy last night. Waiting to turn, don't see any cars, HOLY poo poo A BLACK PRIUS WITH NO LIGHTS ON. It was 8:00 at night, so the sun was definitely set. Guy just cruising down an unlit road in a black car with no lights.

You can't tell me with all the technology onboard that a Prius doesn't turn its lights on automatically at night. How are people accidentally manually turning their lights off at night?

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

CharlesM posted:

On the related videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGhx-fgpeBo fun stuff starts at about 55 seconds in.

jerrylivingston1977, rear end in a top hat posted:

Being a driver myself, the moment I saw the truck, I knew he would be the guy causing at fault. As you can see the car driver was close to the truck who should have moved to the right lane to give way to the car. He also seemed to over take the car before him on the right lane without checking the sides. These are the kind of fools I don't want to see on the roads.

:psyduck:

Never read youtube comments.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

davebo posted:

You can't tell me with all the technology onboard that a Prius doesn't turn its lights on automatically at night. How are people accidentally manually turning their lights off at night?

Drunk logic, of course.

"If I don't turn my lights on, the cops won't see me and I won't get pulled over for DUI!"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

davebo posted:

A quick google suggests they can't even figure out how to turn them on. :v:

http://priuschat.com/threads/prius-v-five-daytime-running-lights-drl-how-do-you-turn-them-on.115297/

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

davebo posted:

Maybe all the bulbs are burned out including whatever bulbs might signal that the bulbs are burned out :v:. Still, you would have to be pretty loving oblivious to not notice that you're unable to see where the hell you're going.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Galler posted:

Maybe all the bulbs are burned out including whatever bulbs might signal that the bulbs are burned out :v:. Still, you would have to be pretty loving oblivious to not notice that you're unable to see where the hell you're going.

When I was in my late teens my buddies and I were leaving an arcade/pool hall and one of them got pulled over immediately after pulling out of the parking lot because he didn't have his lights on. Granted, this was on the Post Road in Milford, CT which is commercial as all hell and extremely brightly lit at night, so he didn't even realize it. Obviously it would have become apparent once he got onto a side road, but luckily a cop saw him first and let him off with a chewing out.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Galler posted:

I made it a couple blocks in my parents dodge ram 2500 van once wondering why the headlights were so drat dim before I realized they weren't on at all.

Those things have quite possibly the worst factory headlights of all time, even the high beams didn't do much.

e: yeah, I got a warning once in Manchester NH for no lights at night now that I think about it. Same story, street lights everywhere, pulled out of a side street I'd been parked on and hadn't even had time to notice yet, this was before I intentionally developed a habit of turning the lights on the second I get in any vehicle, whether it's day or night. It was prime drunk hunting time for the cops and the officer was peeved that I wasn't drunk.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Funzo posted:

I had a car behind me last night with yellow headlights. Is this a thing now? Is he just trying to emulate a race car or is it another dumb trend thing?

The source of this dumb trend (yes, that's what it is) is some European nations required selective yellow headlights until the European Union became a thing and passed uniform traffic codes that member states had to adhere to. In my experience its the VW/"EDM" crowd that does this the most, followed by Japanese import owners.

Honestly in terms of dumb trends the ricer/hellaflush crowd engage in this one earns a "least concern" in my book. I'd rather deal with a car with correct yellow bulbs than a horrible HID retrofit job.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 11, 2013

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Galler posted:

I know this was a sarcastic post, but half the bulbs in a Prius 2006+ are LED.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah. The what-you-expected happened to a friend of a friend the other day. Came across a rather gnarly wreck that a lot of people had been driving straight past, despite the fact that not one person had stopped nor had anyone actually exited the involved vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Just what is up with driver's education USA and Russia or is this just confirmation bias via youtube? I mean yeah, we do have our fair share of idiots on the road but man what the hell? When you get a new car wouldnt you at least familiarize yourself with its controls so you could actually, like use the headlights?

My rear end in a top hat story was a old corolla full of teens making a left turn from right lane, right across me, I almost t-boned them. Or all the time people who decide to overtake me just because I happen to drive a truck.

Though the most recent was a couple of months ago:

Im going 70kmh in a 60 zone, and all of a sudden this SUV is all up in my rear end and passes me on the double yellow line. I am also the idiot you share the road with and overtook the SUV at the next lights that were 100m from where I was passed. It was driven by a notable green activist in our area. So wait, you campaign to have less cars no boats in the large lake nearby and yet you drive a big SUV, unsafely on top of that. It boggles the mind.