Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Best source for used outdoor apparel?
Best source for used backpacking gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Where do you live?
Used places will often charge more for shipping, if they ship at all.

Try craigslist for gear. Apparel will be trickier, but I still have to recommend CL, there are people who flip their old stuff & buy new every year.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 3, 2013

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

agarjogger posted:

backpackinglight.com forums

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

MMD3 posted:

I wear a patagonia down sweater in a small when everything else I own is medium to large and I don't think it's too bulky but...

this is probably the right answer now that they've broken into the market. I have yet to try their down on but I'm sure it's cut far more slim-fitting.

I have a fleece and rain shell by them and both are great. I tried on some of their down at REI and it was like mountaineering-weight stuff, but otherwise fit fine.

I guess I just have to suck it up and drop $200 on a jacket if I don't want to look like a dad.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

agarjogger posted:

I've purchased a few things from geartrade.com with good success.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

I guess I just have to suck it up and drop $200 on a jacket if I don't want to look like a dad.
TBH you'd only need down above freezing unless you're chillaxing outside. As soon as effort happens, a 80g/m2 primaloft/coreloft layer is more than enough.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

PRADA SLUT posted:

I have a fleece and rain shell by them and both are great. I tried on some of their down at REI and it was like mountaineering-weight stuff, but otherwise fit fine.

are you talking patagonia or arc'teryx? I'd really suggest at least trying on a patagonia down sweater in a smaller size than you normally would... they're not nearly as bulky as the rest of their down jackets the nanopuffs which are their synthetic down equivalent are even less bulky... patagonia down sweaters are going to be much easier to find on sale than any of the arc'teryx stuff as it's been one of their staple products for years and years now and tons of retailers have inventory of them.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have a small Patagonia down sweater and I am pretty slim and I find it fits pretty well. I also have a medium arc'teyx Atom LT synthetic (which has the best cuffs ever) and I feel it fits about the same so like MMD3 suggests try the small Patagonia I love mine.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have been caring for my 5 month old son for the last week as his mom goes back to work. I managed to salvage some of my old life in the woods by using my jetboil to heat some water to warm his milk. He gulped it down and we were on our way. If you need to just warm the water to tap temps the burner is only lit for maybe a minute. I have gone from lightening my weekend kit to lightening my kids kit. Every ounce helps!

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Picked up an MSR MiniWorks for 55.00! It's a "lightning deal" right now on Amazon. Sure beats the 90.00 price tag at REI.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Oh man, you guys, I am so excited. I just got confirmation on my first program expedition and I'm going backpacking, hiking, mountain biking, and canoeing in the Moab area for 14 days in May! This is going to be so badass. My school loving rules.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Oh man, you guys, I am so excited. I just got confirmation on my first program expedition and I'm going backpacking, hiking, mountain biking, and canoeing in the Moab area for 14 days in May! This is going to be so badass. My school loving rules.

May I ask what school?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Ropes4u posted:

May I ask what school?

Yeah, Mount Royal University in Calgary. My program is Ecotourism and Outdoor Leadership. :)

I had a choice of that, sea kayaking off Vancouver Island, or circumnavigating a mountain in British Columbia. I've been dying to go see Arches for a while, have a chance at night photography in a desert, plus it's another stamp in my passport. I couldn't refuse! I've never really had any adventures in the US, so it's going to be fun.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Moab/Arches is the poo poo. You'll have an awesome time. Watch some old Road Runner cartoons to get yourself prepared for the landscape.

I personally feel the mountain biking is a bit overrated at Moab, at least slickrock trail, but that could be because I'm from a place where the mountain biking is through nice trees and not a ride up a rock and then a dip into the sand repeated a few hundred times. :)

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Picnic Princess posted:

Yeah, Mount Royal University in Calgary. My program is Ecotourism and Outdoor Leadership. :)

I had a choice of that, sea kayaking off Vancouver Island, or circumnavigating a mountain in British Columbia. I've been dying to go see Arches for a while, have a chance at night photography in a desert, plus it's another stamp in my passport. I couldn't refuse! I've never really had any adventures in the US, so it's going to be fun.

Read Desert Solitaire by Ed Abbey before departing for the full experience.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mercury Ballistic posted:

Read Desert Solitaire by Ed Abbey before departing for the full experience.

Ooh, thanks. I'll suggest it to everyone else too.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Picnic Princess posted:

Ooh, thanks. I'll suggest it to everyone else too.

Abbey was a part time ranger in Arches in the 60s. He was a big fan of the US Southwest.

Also, thanks for the heads up on the MSR Miniworks deal. I just got mine today.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
Desert Solitaire is depressing, between the chapter on rafting Glen Canyon before the dam, and contrasting his Arches experience with the Arches frontcountry today. Still one of my favorite books.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009
You should try to go canyoneering while you're at Arches (if you're into that sort of thing). I know there are guide groups that lead trips. I could probably get some good ones for you if you're interested.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Save me jeebus posted:

You should try to go canyoneering while you're at Arches (if you're into that sort of thing). I know there are guide groups that lead trips. I could probably get some good ones for you if you're interested.

I think our entire time has been planned out, since this is for a class. We might be doing that anyway; we were only given a very brief description of activities for two weeks worth of time. I'll learn more in the near future, though, because it's really not very long from now.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Time Cowboy posted:

Desert Solitaire is depressing, between the chapter on rafting Glen Canyon before the dam, and contrasting his Arches experience with the Arches frontcountry today. Still one of my favorite books.

Yeah honestly it's kind of upsetting and makes me worried for a future where all the backcountry areas are sanitized. If you want some revenge fantasy you can also always read The Monkeywrench Gang!

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Edward Abbey has always seemed like a huge rear end in a top hat to me.

Oh no! People are coming out and seeing the natural splendor of our Parks! Oh woe is me! They didn't earn this beauty like I did. I hate everyone. If you don't live here for years, you shouldn't be here.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Speleothing posted:

Edward Abbey has always seemed like a huge rear end in a top hat to me.

Oh no! People are coming out and seeing the natural splendor of our Parks! Oh woe is me! They didn't earn this beauty like I did. I hate everyone. If you don't live here for years, you shouldn't be here.

I agree on some counts, and apparently he was sort of a dick in person, too.

However, regardless of what you think about non-outdoorsy folk having more access to natural beauty (I agree with you that he goes a little overboard with his condemnation of national park tourists and such), Abbey has good points about billboards, industry, land development, damming, etc.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, now that it's winter and I can't ride my bike every day I'm back in the skiing, running, and hiking threads. So hi everyone. It was really nice last night and we got 8 miles in. Took this picture:

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

We are the Unity 3D community. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
Me and a few friends hiked the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island this past summer. It was amazing, and I wish it was summer already so I could go again :( Most beautiful trail I've ever hiked, I think.

My favorite photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97811885@N05/sets/72157634589893926/

EDIT: And, if people want to see the full album, it's here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97811885@N05/sets/72157634524501312/

zarg fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 14, 2013

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

zarg posted:

Me and a few friends hiked the West Coast Trail on Vancouver Island this past summer. It was amazing, and I wish it was summer already so I could go again :( Most beautiful trail I've ever hiked, I think.

My favorite photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97811885@N05/sets/72157634589893926/

EDIT: And, if people want to see the full album, it's here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97811885@N05/sets/72157634524501312/

Nice, I also did this summer. My favourite photos from my trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryntassell/sets/72157634336019318/

Overall I was not all that impressed with it. I think I enjoyed the Juan de Fuca trail more myself but possibly because I spend a lot of time in similar areas to the west coast trail.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I am incredibly restless for spring, so I stubbornly went on an overnight in Guadalupe Mountains national park earlier this week. I camped up in the Guadalupe peak back country and in the morning woke up and tried to reach the peak before heading down. This five o'clock sunset is so frustrating. I was prepared for cold wether, but the wind up on the ridge was pretty fierce and so I decided to turn back somewhere around 8,500 feet, just in sight of the summit with maybe one or two switchbacks left. It was so cold, and since it was overcast I couldn't count on any heat from the sun. I was also sweating a fair bit under my rainshell and didn't want to risk hypothermia. It was good for keeping the wind off me, but I was drenched underneath. As I was heading down it started raining too, thank goodness for trekking poles. The thick mud wreaked havoc on my traction.

I'll be going back in February or March when it makes more sense. Still, I didn't mind going through the trouble, as I'm trying to prepare for longer thru hikes and if nothing else hiking and dealing with inclement weather is alright practice. And the weather was decent enough on the hike up the first day that I still got some amazing views. Can't wait to explore that park with longer days and lugging less cold weather gear.

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

Dread Head posted:

Nice, I also did this summer. My favourite photos from my trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryntassell/sets/72157634336019318/

Overall I was not all that impressed with it. I think I enjoyed the Juan de Fuca trail more myself but possibly because I spend a lot of time in similar areas to the west coast trail.

I've never done Juan de Fuca, but I'm already planning that as one of my hikes for the coming summer. Any tips you'd care to share?

Great WCT pictures by the way!

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)
Para cord is awful for a tarp ridge line. It stretches. Suggestions for something better?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oxford Comma posted:

Para cord is awful for a tarp ridge line. It stretches. Suggestions for something better?
Accessory cord?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Anything with a cordura core.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

mystes posted:

Accessory cord?

This is what I'm after. Thanks!

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

zarg posted:

I've never done Juan de Fuca, but I'm already planning that as one of my hikes for the coming summer. Any tips you'd care to share?

Great WCT pictures by the way!

Not really, I think there are 2 spots you can have tide issues with. I would avoid camping at sombrio beach, which it is nice it is a party beach and is usually busy/dirty. It is possible to leave a car at each end which is what our group did which was kind of nice. I think you will find it more relaxing than the WCT (distances/time between camps are shorter for the most part), and I felt like the camp spots where a bit nicer. Not all of the camp sites are on the beach though so keep that in mind. There is one long(er) day which you cant really avoid, lots of up and down valleys. Compared to the WCT there are a lot less bridges (no ladders), lots of switch backs and large steps. My friend who I did the WCT with has just put out a guide for it (I think it costs a few dollars), not sure what it is like but I imagine it is decent http://pureoutside.com/JuandeFucaHikingGuide

If you have any other questions or something more specific send me a PM, I did it not this summer but the one before (actually in the fall).

I think other than some mountain hikes this year I would like to do the Cape Scott trail at the north end of the island.

zarg
Mar 19, 2005

Dread Head posted:

Not really, I think there are 2 spots you can have tide issues with. I would avoid camping at sombrio beach, which it is nice it is a party beach and is usually busy/dirty. It is possible to leave a car at each end which is what our group did which was kind of nice. I think you will find it more relaxing than the WCT (distances/time between camps are shorter for the most part), and I felt like the camp spots where a bit nicer. Not all of the camp sites are on the beach though so keep that in mind. There is one long(er) day which you cant really avoid, lots of up and down valleys. Compared to the WCT there are a lot less bridges (no ladders), lots of switch backs and large steps. My friend who I did the WCT with has just put out a guide for it (I think it costs a few dollars), not sure what it is like but I imagine it is decent http://pureoutside.com/JuandeFucaHikingGuide

If you have any other questions or something more specific send me a PM, I did it not this summer but the one before (actually in the fall).

I think other than some mountain hikes this year I would like to do the Cape Scott trail at the north end of the island.

I don't have PMs, ( :( ) but I'd love to ask you a few more questions. I'd be happy to email you or something if that's easier. You can reach me at bpb[at)sfu(dot]ca if that is better for you.

In case you prefer to answer here: If Sombrio is not great, where would you suggest we stay instead? Reading the trail map it looks like the closest options are Little Kuitshe Creek or Chin Beach. Do you recommend one over the other?

Lastly, anything serious to worry about in that "most difficult" section just south of Chin Beach? (Wondering how tiring that section will be, as if it's really exhausting I'd want to plan for a short day that day)

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Always great to get a first-hand account :)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Anyone have any ideas for somewhere in southern Colorado/northern New Mexico for backpacking/snoeshowing in Jan/Feb? Nothing excessively technical, all I have is crampons/axe/poles.

I know RMNP is an easy go to, but I'd rather somewhere a little less visited and slightly closer to me.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

zarg posted:

I don't have PMs, ( :( ) but I'd love to ask you a few more questions. I'd be happy to email you or something if that's easier. You can reach me at bpb[at)sfu(dot]ca if that is better for you.

In case you prefer to answer here: If Sombrio is not great, where would you suggest we stay instead? Reading the trail map it looks like the closest options are Little Kuitshe Creek or Chin Beach. Do you recommend one over the other?

Lastly, anything serious to worry about in that "most difficult" section just south of Chin Beach? (Wondering how tiring that section will be, as if it's really exhausting I'd want to plan for a short day that day)

Thanks for taking the time to reply! Always great to get a first-hand account :)

We camped at Chin, that and Bear where probably my favourite spots. The long day is between the 2, so there is not all that much you can do about it. I did it in 3 nights I think, Bear -> Chin -> Little Kutchie (had planned to go onto Payzant but was going to run out of day light as we did it in late September). I think Chin beach had a lot of mice that you had to watch out for, they chewed through my friends bag after he had sat it down for maybe 10 minutes...

Payzant is a super scenic http://www.flickr.com/photos/bryntassell/5423552755/ BUT is in the trees and would be pretty damp I think. I don't think you can easily get to the beach. I was also pretty lucky that it was pretty dry when we did it and was not that muddy. From what I have seen from doing day hikes on the trail it can be very muddy, probably worse the WCT as there are no (or very limited) boardwalks to use.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Holy poo poo just finished Wernor Herzog's doc on Timothy Treadwell. Worth watching because:
1. better bear footage is impossible to produce
2. if you find yourself surrounded by bears and forced to live among them, do exactly as he does and it will take them twelve years to realize you're made of delicious meat, or even become more than annoyed by you.
3. cutest animal in known universe is the fox who likes to climb up his tent and chill there

I love the hatemail from suburban Alaskans, who are naught-less-than enraged that this golden-haired, lisping, childlike gently caress from Malibu convinced hungry bears not to end him, like a half dozen times a week for thirteen summers. Rather than empty his bladder and curse every animal in existence. Though he did pray heartbreakingly hard for rain when he realized he was being eyefucked by an older grizz who was not having much luck at the salmon run. Anyway this is an awesome thing to watch, and you don't have to feel bad/voyeuristic since Tim hated civilization and longed to die with the Grizzlies.

If you're scared of bears, the first 7/8 of this movie will probably help a lot. The rest, eh you know, not so much.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

And there's audio of him and his g/f (or whoever) getting eaten by the bear which they thank god didn't play on the documentary but played for his mother or something :stare:

Capt. Sticl
Jul 24, 2002

In Zion I was meant to be
'Doze the homes
Block the sea
With this great ship at my command
I'll plunder all the Promised Land!

Levitate posted:

And there's audio of him and his g/f (or whoever) getting eaten by the bear which they thank god didn't play on the documentary but played for his mother or something :stare:

I don't know about his mother. The tapes went to his ex-gf. Herzog listened to them and told her to never listen to them, to destroy them. She claimed a few years later she still had them, but had never listened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

sorry, must have been remembering. I thought I remembered someone he knew listening to the tapes and it seemed horrible